1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Nonsense and Non Sequiturs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Blue Bolt, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,756 / 47 / -26
    Chargers inquire about LT Bryant McKinnie
    By Michael Gehlken 3:12 P.M. APRIL 10, 2013

An athletic, yet-to-be-drafted rookie could be the Chargers' left tackle in 2013.

Or, perhaps, they'll go the veteran route.

San Diego reached out Wednesday to the representation of Bryant McKinnie, the latest of a "couple general discussions" between the two sides, a source said. The former Ravens left tackle helped key Baltimore's Super Bowl run this past year, starting all four playoff games after working as a reserve in the regular season.

No deal is imminent. No visit to San Diego is planned.

Pursuit of McKinnie, who turns 34 in September, could turn more heated should the team not find a starting left tackle during the April 25-27 draft. The 6-foot-8, 354-pound veteran has started 147 of 164 career games, spending the first nine seasons of his career in Minnesota before two in Baltimore.

McKinnie reportedly battled weight issues in recent years. He is training this offseason in Miami.
    San Diego has already signed one left tackle, King Dunlap, in free agency. The 6-foot-9 veteran is versatile, able to play at either tackle spot and shift inside to guard, projecting as a top option off the bench.
  2. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,756 / 47 / -26
    Will the Chargers get protection for Philip Rivers?
    By Chris Wesseling
    Around the League Writer
    U-T San Diego's Kevin Acee recently opined that theChargers should trade Rivers if they are unable or unwilling to undergo a "massive rebuild and upgrade" of the offensive line.
    Rivers has authored a whopping 47 turnovers the past two years while taking 79 sacks. Those woes are directly related to an offensive line that has been decimated by injuries, retirements and the NFL's quintessential malingerer.
    If Rivers truly is entering his final audition in San Diego, the front office has done him no favors with the additions of offensive tackle King Dunlap and guard Chad Rinehart -- two players who were viewed as no more than emergency starters by their former teams.
    While the Chargers desperately are in need of a legitimate left tackle to protect Rivers' blindside, guard might be in even worse shape.
    On one hand, general manager Tom Telesco is behind the eight ball with "The Big Three" offensive tackles likely to come off the board before the No. 11 pick. On the other hand, there is a high probability that one or both of the draft's two elite guards -- North Carolina's Jonathan Cooper and Alabama's Chance Warmack -- will be available.
    If Telesco can land Cooper or Warmack in the first round and come back with a second-round offensive tackle such as Florida State's Menelik Watson or Arkansas Pine-Bluff's Terron Armstead, it will go a long way toward ensuring another contract for Rivers in San Diego.
  3. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +798 / 54 / -42
    Knew Id get a bite on that one ..... ;)
  4. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +798 / 54 / -42
    PUMPY still runs a very poor second to Taco in those stakes ..... That bastage wouldn't work in an iron lung, living off the family trust fund has its advantages you do know ..... ;)
  5. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +798 / 54 / -42
    Hey now !!!! ...... I knew quite a bit about the NHL back in my days in St Louuuuuuu ....... Not that I followed it so much, but when your TV is tuned into ESPN 24/7, it's quite amazing what the ear picks up and remembers from all those Sportscenter reruns.
  6. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +798 / 54 / -42
    Who dat ???? ...... Never heard of him.

Maybe we should be giving some love towards my homeboy, Jesse Williams from Alabama ........ The kid is putting weight on like Taco at an In 'N Out nightly dinner ...... By the time Sept rolls around he could well be tipping the scales at 400 lbs and be our next JWall ......;)
  7. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Back to the Alethiometer..

Ratings Received:
    +972 / 2 / -2
    How's that Kool Aid taste Blue - you KNOW I'm gonna be following that sucker regardless of what team he winds up on, (hope its not the Bolts), and we *will* be discussing the flavor throughout the 2013 season now right? :D

Meanwhile, saw the article on Meachem - ain't drinking that kool aid either - SHOW ME! :devilish:
  8. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,756 / 47 / -26
    Well, since Telesco offered Winston a contract, he must be drinking the Kool-Aid too. ;)

But, I'm sure a old timer like you knows better. :D

[​IMG]
  9. Charger Dave

Ratings Received:
    +972 / 2 / -2
    Believe me the ONLY reason I knew anything about him was I have a granddaughter starting at FSU a little later on this year and I was looking for a 2nd rounder... As a result, took a harder look at who was coming out from their roster this year. Have Watson figured for a 2nd round pick - long-armed Fluker out of Bammy for a mid-late 1st rounder that I doubt will drop to us..

Kind of intrigued with the idea of using soon-to-be 34 year old Mount McKinnie as a giant band-aid/battle-dressing (read temporary solution), but it sounds like he is yet another of those ageing tackles wanting big money contracts (regardless of the record) that Blue was just talking about. Hopefully the bolts are just paying due diligence and won't get stuck with another wasted/expensive long-term deal again.

As much as I hate it - our Bolts may be trying to move up again come draft day. <sigh>
  10. Charger Dave

Ratings Received:
    +972 / 2 / -2
    TT probably made him an offer that he will refuse until he can't find a better one. :p I notice he is still shopping. ;)

Bet it was less than what Clary is gonna wind up costing us if they got that way. Dangit - I want an upgrade! :mad:

Edited - have I mentioned I like that new sig image? You should use it as such! :D
  11. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,756 / 47 / -26
    I'm sure the Chargers top is closer to $2 million, than his desired $3-4 million. But despite the Cowboys talk, he's still not signed. He may have to settle for less and sign a short term deal (and prove he's worth more).

I just don't see a lot of action happening before the draft. With the new rookie salary scale, most teams will prefer to fill needs through the draft. You can control a guy for several years at an affordable price. Sure, there's the risk the player won't work out, but plenty of high-priced free agents haven't either. The Eagles are the poster team for how free agency can hurt, more than help a franchise.
  12. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,756 / 47 / -26
    Deer....... headlights. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]
  13. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,756 / 47 / -26
    NFL economics leave many vets jobless
    By Kevin Acee - 8:32 P.M. - APRIL 10, 2013

The single-biggest issue for NFL players when the Collective Bargaining Agreement was being negotiated in 2011 was the desire to have more time off.

They got their wish – many of them in a way they never imagined.

They got it in the form of unemployment.

“You could field a really good team with the guys on the street,” one agent said recently.
    Chargers linebacker Shaun Phillips would start for that squad.

Not a Pro Bowler but a consistent performer, the 31-year-old Phillips had 9½ sacks for the Chargers in 2012 in advance of becoming an unrestricted free agent.

A month into free agency, a guy who has averaged better than eight sacks over the past eight seasons remains without a team.

There are many more cases, and there have been an increasing number of them since the new CBA ended the lockout two summers ago.

Perhaps the best example of this new economic reality in the NFL is this offseason’s flooded cornerback market. Not long ago, top corners were getting multi-year deals with $8-10 million averages. This year, some of the best guys have signed one-year deals for $3-5 million.

It's a shame.

But this is on the player's union, which now has a good portion of its constituency living with its compromise.

The reality is that the salary cap is not even as high as it was in 2009 and is not rising fast enough for the same volume of players to continue to get big deals.

The need to fit the top-end contracts in by jettisoning some bloated deals and finding bargains has made 30 the new 35 and 35 practically the new 65 in the NFL, as longtime starters who had productive seasons in 2012 may well remain without jobs forever as teams opt for to go with a replacement who may be only a fraction as good but comes at a fraction of the price.

Get used to it.

This is a new era, where players who have tread left on the tires will lose jobs to younger, cheaper models.

Players can blame the owners, but the players agreed to this deal.

It was the players who wanted more protection for their bodies in the form of shorter offseason programs and reduced contact in practice. It was their leadership that agreed to a deal that took the salary cap back to a pre-2009 level.

At $123 million for 2013, the cap still is approximately $6 million short of what it was in 2009.

Despite NFL Players Association Executive Director DeMaurice Smith boasting about gains made by the players after the new CBA was agreed to, the fact is the rich (a finite number of star players) are really the only ones getting richer.

Sure, teams individually and collectively have to spend beyond a minimum under the current CBA. And yes, minimum salaries increased.

But that did nothing to prevent veteran players who used to make $5 million having to settle for $1 million – or have no job at all.

The cap, based on a formula prominently based on league revenues, is not expected to increase significantly until 2015, a year after the league’s new television deal kicks in.

This new landscape could potentially work in the favor of the Chargers this year, as they search for a new left tackle and possibly a right tackle as well.

There have not been and will not be high-stakes bidding wars for tackles such as Tyson Clabo, Eric Winston and Bryant McKinnie. It is likely, in fact, the Chargers can wait to see what needs they can fill in the draft before turning to available veterans.

The new reality means NFL teams can afford to be patient, and veteran players are going to have to swallow their pride and play for what they can get.
  14. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +254 / 17 / -2
    The Poofessor can be swayed if we were talking about the San Antonio Chargers ;)

#imjustsaying
  15. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +798 / 54 / -42
    Go Dave ....Gooooo

Give that boy the shite !!!!

Have you got a copy and put it aside for the inevitable "so now what ya thinking ?" moment ???

BLEW, has in the past, tended to take the "I don't recall saying that" approach ....... :D

Personally, I'll just take a "wait and see" approach at this stage ...............if he signs, lets see what goes down after that, till then its all just one, big"maybe", hardly worthy of a mention.
  16. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +798 / 54 / -42
    Now wasn't McKinnie one of the blokes involved in the infamous "Love Boat" scandal in Minny ???

Farg me drunk, if he can find a boat in Minny and make headlines, what is he capable of seeing as the entire City of San Diego is a stone's throw from the ocean and lotsa, lotsa BIG arse parrrrrrrrtayyyyyyy Yachts ???? :eek:

Nothing wrong with "moving up" Dave .....................unless you have people making evaluations with those #1's that set your franchise back 5 years instead of improving your team like they are supposed too.

There are 3 excellent OLine players for the taking ...................... I don't believe anyone is questioning that fact, correct ?

So, whats it gonna take to get one ? ................. so you may have to package a few later Rd picks to move up a few spots (Im NOT talking moving 12 spots like we did for a reach in a player like Ryno here by the way) ................its not like to many of our later Rd picks even end up making the roster, so whats to lose ?

I just don't get why peeps are so against moving up a few places and forsaking a nothing pick for a chance at a "10 yr Stud" ......... in the position we are NOW, time to cut the crap and take some chances or cellar dwell for the next 5 years, minimum.
  17. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +798 / 54 / -42
    Consistent ? .................................Cooper Acee, really dude ?????

If anything, that was the ONE farging thing he WASN'T ............ guy has had more disappearing acts in his career than Harry Houdini for Christ sake Acee, what the farg have you been watching the last 8 years, he epitomises your typical Charger player of the last 7 years .............. has been "consistently"guilty of thinking they are a hell of a lot better than they actually are and this guy is the Leader of the Gang in that department.
  18. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +798 / 54 / -42
    Yeeeee Haaaaaa, giddy up Cowboy !!!! ;)

Wonder if Shammy would approve of this move ?
  19. Charger Dave

Ratings Received:
    +972 / 2 / -2
    Hey Jacko, ayup - that's the guy... Also remembered for allowing the sack where Favre got injured and ended his regular season start streak - along with too many other incidents to list, including being fined by his own team(s). Last year on the Ravens, after being fined $30,000 for failing to report to training camp, he only saw spot play during the regular season, but is now trying to "cash in" on the fact that he took every snap for them at OLT during their playoff run. Again, hoping this is just a matter of the new Bolts regime doing due diligence.:rolleyes:

The only thing wrong with moving up is the cost of draft picks and that our team has more holes to fill than OLT. <sigh> What will be will be - and we will soon know a lot more about where TT is gonna lead us. Regardless, its gonna take a couple of years to get this ship back on course at full power - so to be honest, if they feel they have to move up to fill the most gaping hole, I won't squawk too loud. (More of a squeek than a squawk?) ;) OBTW, there are actually 5 excellent O-line prospects that could all theoretically go in the top 10 - but the draft never goes like I figure it will. Still kinda hoping against hope that someone falls to us again like last year.
  20. Charger Dave

Ratings Received:
    +972 / 2 / -2
    Oh golly gee whiz! I dropped it!
    [​IMG]
  21. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +604 / 11 / -4
    Amazing thing is I said nono and Red Sox and Yankees in one post and she hasn't shown up yet.
  22. Charger Dave

Ratings Received:
    +972 / 2 / -2
    ROTFL - must be taking the dog for a jog on the beach?
  23. Charger Dave

Ratings Received:
    +972 / 2 / -2
    They would have to change the name of the team to "Armored Dillos" along with the team logo.

[​IMG]
  24. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +604 / 11 / -4
    I maintain that Denver can easily support 2 NFL teams. Then our boys would get out of the pooftah weather the south offers, get in shape a mile high, reduce travel costs, and I'd get to go to every home game +1.
  25. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +604 / 11 / -4
    So to speak ;)

(that'll bring her in)
  26. Stallion1994

Stallion1994 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    What's up, sheetheads :D
  27. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,756 / 47 / -26
    [​IMG]
  28. X FACTOR

X FACTOR In for Life.........

Ratings Received:
    +180 / 8 / -0
    Caution.............. no one is safe anymore, my youngest son passed the driver's test yesterday, and I gave him my old car. God help us all. ;).
  29. X FACTOR

Ratings Received:
    +180 / 8 / -0
    Heading to St. Lou tomorrow for the weekend.......... spending Sunday at Jack's Zoo.........:eek:
  30. X FACTOR

Ratings Received:
    +180 / 8 / -0
    2 kids driving now, one living on his own in cali w/girlfriend, one waiting to join marines....... dang I feel old today.