1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Nonsense and Non Sequiturs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Blue Bolt, Apr 19, 2011.

1. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +838 / 54 / -42

Ok !!!!!!!!

Is that the "Nun's Nasty" I was talking about above ?????????? :D

2. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +838 / 54 / -42
    As long as the Wifey keeps thinking that we are all still Golden !!! ;) ;) Nudge nudge !!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +838 / 54 / -42
    So where is she planning on "losing it" ??? There or downunder ?

For $400,000, she'd better have marathon-staying ability, stamina like a rented pack-mule, be able to suck a golfball through a piece of Spaghetti and squirt like Ol' Faithful.

I'm guessing she's highly overestimated her Snapper's capabilities ........ :D

4. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +838 / 54 / -42

OK, I'll bite !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is he gawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn ??????????????????????????????????????????????

[​IMG]

YEP, another chance to show off a Nun !!! :tup:

5. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +2,866 / 48 / -26
    Nope......... Clary is the teflon man. I just saw this little fan piece on him......

Clarifying Clary: A Look at What the Chargers May be Thinking

Jeromey Clary has been much maligned during his career with the Chargers, and most of it has been deserved; although, some of this criticism could be attributed to hyperbolic fan overreaction (Sidebar: This has been true of some players during most and/or part of their Charger career. See: Quentin Jammer, Jacob Hester, Eric Weddle, et al.).

Lately though, there has been a loud clamor demanding that Clary be released by the Chargers. This is mainly due to his high salary ($4,550,000 in base salary and $1,700,000 in his pro-rated signing bonus, which adds up to a total cap figure of $6,250,000). When most look at the big money that Clary is making, they think it’s ludicrous and beyond all reason. Some look at the advanced metrics and see how low Clary was ranked by Pro Football Focus or others and wonder how he is worth that salary and why he is still currently a Charger and the 4th highest paid one, at that.

Well, the Chargers obviously have a different line of thinking that most fans. Currently and as of now, they must deem him worthy of the aforementioned salary, for they have yet to "renegotiate," nor cut him from the roster. And let me clarify in advance to avoid any notion that I am "appealing to authority" here; I do not necessarily agree, nor condone, nor concur with their view; I am just tiring of the continual onslaught and tumult for Clary’s position on this team to be no more. After a few comments on nearly every thread on BFTB, it becomes tiresome rather quickly.

I do think I may understand why they may be keeping Clary at his current deal (although, Tom Telesco did say that there may very well be more veteran restructures forthcoming—in short, "there are a lot of moving parts."). Here are some of the things that Clary does provide for the Chargers:

• Leadership. Apparently, he is well liked in the locker room and has a positive presence.
    • Continuity. There is a lot of talk about how much continuity helps O-Line play and maybe since Ryan Mathews had a career year last year, the Chargers may want to keep the line as stable as they can.
    • Flexibility. In terms of position. He played mostly at RG last year, but also played a RT when Fluker went down and also when Fluker played at LT.
    • Stability. This may very well be the main reason he is still on the team at his current salary. Clary seemingly is always on the field. This isn’t necessarily true of any of the other starters (aside from Fluker, who only has one year under his belt thus far) on the line. Clary has started 96 out of the 106 he has played in (10 of which was his 2nd year and he wasn’t active at all his rookie year). Over the last 6 seasons, (according to my math) he has missed only 9 games due to injury in the regular season. This includes 2009 when he was placed on IR.
    • Toughness. He plays hurt an awful lot (see above).
    • Known quantity. There is that old adage that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. The Chargers know what they have in Clary, as a player and as a person. This is not going to be true of most free-agent pick-ups. They know how hard he works and how he fits in in terms of scheme, play, and personality. This doesn't always turn out to be true with free-agents (see: Derek Cox, Robert Meachem, David Boston, etc.).
    While you and I may not agree with the Chargers and their current decision making in regards to Clary, they seem to be staying the course with him and his contract (again, please do not read into what I am saying here and just assume that I think that the Chargers are always correct with their choices because they are the team. Obviously, that would be a huge misnomer. One would just need to look at Derek Cox to see that they do indeed make mistakes and therefore aren’t always right). So, while you may not agree with Clary being the 4th highest paid player on the Chargers, sometimes some decisions go beyond the numbers.

6. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +838 / 54 / -42
    Who wrote that BLEW ?

As fine a bit of fence-sitting reading as I've seen in awhile .....................

I couldn't give a Gnat's nut whether he's "well liked", "works hard", provides flexibility, is durable and plays hurt ............none of those things mean jackshite if your constantly beaten by your opponent more times than not and commit countless dumbarse penalties year after year.

Have never questioned this kid's heart or endeavour, gives you all he has, my problem is and always has been ................... it isn't good enough.

For whatever reason it seems Charger fans in general get awfully sentimental over certain players and it ends up hurting us down the line and holding us back from ever truely challenging the "Big Boy's" at the pointy end of the season ........... that attitude is all good and fine, as long as you don't mind always coming up short year after year.

Clary and his likes are honest as the day is long, but they'll very very rarely take you to the promisedland in my opinion.

p.s.,.......did he seriously use Jacob Hester as an example of hyperbolic fan overreaction ?

..... remind me again where he is playing in the NFL !!! :rolleyes:

7. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,866 / 48 / -26
    It was from BFTB, if I remember correctly.

The fact is simple........ the organization places a different value on Clary than most fans do. That guy was just trying to come up with some reasons why that might be the case, nothing more. I think they were clear in saying they didn't feel that way themselves.

8. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +838 / 54 / -42
    And thats fine BLEW, but I'd love to hear their reasoning behind those thoughts ................. what I find most disconcerting is that if they think a Clary is worthy of the money he earns, for the value he contributes, then I'd seriously have to question the football knowledge of our talent evaluators ................... which I have done for quite a number of years now.

Now seeing as we have a new regime in power (supposedly), what is most worrisome to me, is that the final say is always had by a Spanos in regards to player personsel and if so, why even bother having a GM, recruiters and college scouts ?

9. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +838 / 54 / -42
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +838 / 54 / -42
    FARGING BRILLIANT !!!

[​IMG]

......... [​IMG] c.a.n.t s.t.o.p l.a.u.g.h.i.n.g !!!

11. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +838 / 54 / -42
  12. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +838 / 54 / -42
    I can't believe Footsie Ryan let the Dirty Sanchez walk !!!!

So, does he get his #6 tat "shaded" now or just go with a new rabid dog tat ????

13. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
    That's the kind of writing that's not going to appeal to anybody.

14. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,866 / 48 / -26
    Which is an art in itself. ;)

15. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,437 / 36 / -16
    For anyone wondering about the "God" that SDSU's Adam Muema is throwing his football possibilities away for,
    Tony Ortega at Rawstory.com did a great piece on this charlatan 8 days ago. Fascinating and a bit sad...

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/03/...o-may-have-ruined-a-young-mans-nfl-prospects/

Screen Shot 2014-03-22 at 11.44.38 AM.png

p.s.: The screen capture pic is from a follow-up story Ortega did Monday...trying to interview a very uncooperative Muema

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  16. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Back to the Alethiometer..

Ratings:
    +989 / 2 / -2
    Gee Jack, I guess you should ask the author of that article rather than anybody down at Chargers Park - he must have a hell of an "in" with them to know their most secret thoughts though - or maybe he is clairvoyant and works in that field when not performing his regular job?... Wow, he has 6 whole posts on Bolts From The Blue - that must really mean something. <spit>

[​IMG]
    gtr_donald
    • joined Mar 26, 2009
    • last login Mar 22, 2014
    • posts 6
    • comments 3135
    Guitarist/songwriter extraordinaire for the Los Angeles based band To the Nines. Has been known to swill beer & propose to bartenders. Also, known to follow football & obsess over the Chargers.

~~~

Over the years I have learned that "consider the source" is a good practice, particularly on the Internet. ;)

17. DFWBoltFan

DFWBoltFan Where am I?

Ratings:
    +86 / 3 / -3
    Good guess! :)

Yes, HP on the software side.

18. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Back to the Alethiometer..

Ratings:
    +989 / 2 / -2
    char·la·tan
    noun \ˈshär-lə-tən\
    : a person who falsely pretends to know or be something in order to deceive people

(See my last post too, it applies). ;)

19. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +289 / 18 / -2
  20. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
    Fan sites with user/abusers posing as journalists are particularly dubious. Even mainstream journalism has spiraled down the toilet in the digital age.

21. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,866 / 48 / -26
    Print journalism is bad enough....... TV and the web is laughable for the most part.

22. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +838 / 54 / -42
    That's why we switched over to the Crisco cooking oil awhile back mate !!!!

Add a little friction and not only does it get "that job" done, I can also grill a couple of toasted ham & cheese sandwiches on the old boy's arse cheeks simultaneously and have a quick bite when the munchies hit. :tup:

23. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +838 / 54 / -42
    My reply wasn't so much directed at that author Dave, but moreso towards those in the FO who make the player personnel decisions, he merely raised the opposing views in that article BLEW posted.

I think it does raise an interesting topic as to how players are assessed and paid according to their importance to the structure of the team and no one on the current squad is more polarizing than Clary.......... Based on his overall play and yes, what that play costs us in the salary cap.

24. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +838 / 54 / -42
    Unfortunately Lancelot, Im far to old and cynical these days to show any remorse to those that show an inclination to worship false gods I'm afraid.

I find these types great banter for a jovial moment, rather than what seems to be today's norm of pussyfooting around them and showing them concern.........God (or Lord Rayel for that matter) knows the line has been substantially blurred these days, as to what was once known as simple good natured ribbing and bullying.

Hell, the bullying theme is thrown around these days almost as much as the racism word it seems ......... It's the younger generations "go to word" when things get tough it seems and then it's " all jokes stop now" because God knows we can't scar these poor helpless individuals for life ........ Pffffft, give me a break, toughen up you weak bastards and give as good as you get, who knows, you might just come out the other side a better person for it, plenty of generations before you somehow managed just fine.

25. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
    At risk of totally wasting some space, I'll put this to you from another angle Jack. People who post on football boards are generally very opinionated. I am no exception. We like to share opinions with the like minded. Very rarely does anyone change their views. There are those who will say that following Test Cricket is like watching paint dry. Some our our personal experience with it defies that view because of some of the complex situations that arise during the matches.

In all of my days reading football boards, I have hardly ever found anybody who knows much if anything at all regarding the techniques of offensive linemen, never mind to have the ability to evaluate that aspect of the game. They just don't watch them closely enough, and when a telecast should focus in on one, it is usually because they've made a mistake. Good play goes largely unnoticed as most of the credit goes to the "skill" players. That is why this topic will always be polarizing.

In their hopes of claiming what must be, the unwashed grab at the views of more of the totally unqualified. Repeating this over and over does not make that volume of crap more credible than the professional coaches who make their living breaking down these plays one by one for every single game.

26. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,437 / 36 / -16
    "False gods" are one thing, Jack. People can legitimately disagree as to whether particular (or "all"...a popular choice) gods
    are false. But this moron isn't even trying: that this Raymond Howard-Lear clown is less of a candidate for messiah than
    the average heroin addict is what makes this so pitiful...in other words: lots of folks are following false gods,
    but Jesus, pick one that is less laughable than Lord RayEl.
    Running with a football may well be the only chance Muema has to be successful in this life...
    sucks to see him piss it away on such obvious nonsense.

27. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +838 / 54 / -42
    Indeed SandyBob, afterall, thats the purpose of Forums, isn't it................provide opinions and thoughts.

And ofcourse we aren't at all privy to the inner sanctum of locker rooms and therefore make assumptions and form opinions based solely on what we see on gameday, but isn't that enough to form a view, whether we be involved directly of not with a club ? ............. I don't see how having access to a lockeroom makes one more informed on whether a player has performed his duties or not on that particular day, surely they have seen exactly what we fans have.

If I see Clary's opponent consistently getting in our backfield harrassing our QB, then surely its a fair call to say he's a weak link, No ? ..............or the fact he consistently is without doubt our most penalised OLineman, surely that isn't merely a coincidence is it ?

All opinions are based on one's personal accessment of how they see a game developing..............an OLinesman's job is to keep his opponent from disrupting a QB's as I see it, along with opening holes on running plays ofcourse ............not the easiest job in the world when your dealing with bigger, faster, stronger athletes on D these days and Clary's lack of foot speed always has been his weakest asset in this regard and I can't see that improving with age unfortuanately.

28. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +838 / 54 / -42
    And thats why I have very little (OK, ZERO) sympathy for the guy Lancelot.

If a person is so easily led by others to believe in such a luducris "being", whats that say about his own upbringing by Family and friends Lance ?

Surely this kid has issues far greater than whether he can make it as a professional footballer and I totally undrstand one's frustration when seeing someone throw away a once in a lifetime opportunity that most of us would die to have been given, but if he is so weak-of-mind to believe in this Scam artist, then the chances are, he'd be hard pressed to have made it in the rough and tough world of the NFL.

He's not the first and wont be the last to piss away a "Lord RayEl given gift" and quite frankly, I couldn't give a rats tossbag about these nutjobs, they are a dime-a-dozen these days it seems...................the sooner we send them all off on a rocket to the Stars, the better I say !!! ;)

29. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,437 / 36 / -16
    Maybe he's not fully mentally there.
    Maybe that bat to the head four years ago has had permanent consequences.
    Football may be his only chance for financial security.

I'm hardly Mother Teresa, but I worry about the guy.

30. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +314 / 11 / -6
    What I am saying Jack that there is a side to this you are not seeing. Sure... you are going to base your opinion on what you do see, but to see all you would have to subscribe to ALL 22 and break down every play... (as the coaches do).

There are two logical conclusions here. Either:

a) Two different Chargers regimes were equally incompetent.
    b) There is a side to Clary's performance the detractors are not recognizing.

---
    How can you state that Clary is the most penalized offensive lineman? Is this only a guess? Can you actually back up that statement with stats? Most penalized in terms of yards or calls? How many points has he cost us... (if any at all)?