1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Nonsense and Non Sequiturs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Blue Bolt, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings Received:
    +325 / 11 / -6
    Stevie ??? :confused:
  2. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings Received:
    +297 / 10 / -6
    I read a lot of impassioned posts over at the CMB that it is impossible to train professional football players in Canada... (as a result of the Chargers spending a draft pick on Vaughn Martin).

Duvernay-Tardif
    would be the ideal candidate as a Charger for the Clary flamers to carry on their dubious tradition of hatred.
  3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,680 / 44 / -26
    Well, we already signed one OLB from Canada, I don't think another late rounder will hurt us too badly. ;)
  4. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +778 / 54 / -41
  5. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +778 / 54 / -41
    Are you riding in the 5th at Del Mar this weekend ??? :laugh:
  6. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +778 / 54 / -41
    I'm think this will be the year we finally get a photo of Taco and Blew together at a tailgate ...... :whistling:
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +778 / 54 / -41
    Wonder ????

They have a few on their roster that go about as well, don't they ?
  8. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings Received:
    +325 / 11 / -6
  9. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +778 / 54 / -41

You know I wanted to go with her, don't you !!! GggggRrrrrrrr !!!! ;)
  10. X FACTOR

X FACTOR In for Life.........

Ratings Received:
    +176 / 8 / -0
    Hail yesterday, flash flooding today, calling for possible tornado outbreaks tonight. Wicked storms rolling through.
  11. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Back to the Alethiometer..

Ratings Received:
    +955 / 2 / -2
    Ugh... Makes me appreciate where I am at! :tup:
  12. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +778 / 54 / -41
    Remember those days all to well ........ :rolleyes:

Keep an eye out for those "green skies" X Man ....... Scary as hell, but also kind of cool if you know what I mean !!!
  13. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,680 / 44 / -26
    Green skies means Mother Nature isn't feeling well, and is soon to vomit all over you. ;)
  14. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,680 / 44 / -26
    What do the Chargers need to accomplish this offseason to improve?

Perhaps not in the first round, but in the first couple rounds Williamson believes the Chargers need to select a cornerback who can come in and play right away.

He mentions Virginia Tech’s Kyle Fuller, Ohio State’s Bradley Roby and TCU’s Jason Verrett as cornerback possibilities at the end of the first round.

“I kind of look at the Chargers and think in Round 1, take the best defensive player or receiver, or guard in Round 1,” Williamson said. “Take whoever is your best guy, and do not say ‘We have to take a corner’ there. And fill the other spots pretty quickly.”

I guess we're all set at nose tackle then. :cautious:
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  15. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,685 / 39 / -8
    Prolly not. But we have a wet klinex coverage int he secondary. We have people who could fill in at NT, and maybe even hold their own. Secondary.... Prolly not so much.
  16. Charger Dave

Ratings Received:
    +955 / 2 / -2
    Losing your fetish for fatboyz? TRAITOR! :D
  17. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,680 / 44 / -26
    Really? Lissemore was decent when he played, but was injured and missed games. Geathers doesn't look to be of the right build be an effective NT. Jerideau is still an unknown commodity, since he missed all of last season. That's what you call a group that "can hold its own"? Cam Thomas may've been lacking in some respects, but he was still healthy and played a bunch of snaps. I don't see how you can say we're not weaker right now, than we were last year.

Meanwhile, we have the same basic secondary corp that we had last year...... minus Cox, which is a plus. Think how much he cost us in critical games before he was benched. If we just play Marshall in his stead, we're still better off than last year. Telesco signed some depth already, which may be unproven, but may have real upside. The young guys will hopefully get better, but I see the group as no worse than last season..... I can't say the same for the NT position.

Both areas are clearly in need of upgrade, but a stud NT would instantly make the entire defense better. I don't think one CB would have the same net impact.
  18. Charger Dave

Ratings Received:
    +955 / 2 / -2
    That is exactly how I have been looking at it all along Blue. Coaches are the only ones who can gauge where Jerideau and Geathers will be in 2014 after a year of pro training, (particularly in the weight room & diet stuff). Pretty easy to project Lissemore as the starter at the season opener if he doesn't get hurt - but I'd sure like to have Nix there learning how to back him up. There are a few other interesting prospects in the later rounds, but you don't see a guy like Nix that often.
  19. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,680 / 44 / -26
    It's only his previous knee issues that make me a little leery of using a 1st on the guy, but he's the only true 3-4 NT prospect worth taking high. If he does become a stud, and we pass on him, fans will not be happy. ;)
  20. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,685 / 39 / -8
    Yes that is the group that can hold their own in a 3-4 scheme. I would rate the CB position to be needing more help than NT at the moment, but a small margin.
  21. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +238 / 16 / -2
    I'll have to disagree Conc! The push starts upfront and the opposing OL must be pushed back into the opposing QB's face. This is very critical with Manning first and foremost who is a lethally accurate pocket-passer. Alex Smith is no chump and even Shaub showed that he could beat us too!

IMO, the defensive need is NT by a bigger margin and then I'd put the need for another pass-rushing OLB and CB on an almost even footing ala BPA. Doubt it if Nix would fall to 25, but if the FO shares my sentiment, I wouldn't surprise me to see TT go up and get him before the likes of the Ravens.

PS. I'm not a big fan of trading up though. I rather use all of our own draft picks because we need players and have many holes to fill.
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  22. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,680 / 44 / -26
    I think the fans have been lulled into thinking that any old guy in the middle is "good enough" since that's what the Chargers have had in recent years. I couldn't disagree more strongly though.

The entire 3-4 defensive concept hinges on having a powerful NT that can occupy two linemen not some of the time, but most of the time. Liuget, Reyes, and the OLBs would be at another level if they had a guy akin to Jamal Williams in the middle. This defense would transform overnight into a fearsome unit.

Dropping in a new draftee CB opposite Wright won't have the same impact. Sure, it will help if the guy is better than Marshall, but it won't address the fundamental weakness of our 3-4. The battle is won in the trenches..... fans should never forget that.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  23. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings Received:
    +297 / 10 / -6
    I think an excellent case study involves the Chargers' offense themselves. A lot of what was Norv's scheme involved very precise routes and very precise timing. When we did not have the hogs like Dielman anymore to control the LOS, that timing started to get very disturbed. Add a Fluker and a Dunlap to the mix, then Rivers is suddenly comeback player of the year for doing what he normally does, when he has the time.

CB's don't disturb timing except in stopping the run. They can only cement themselves to a receiver for a short period of time. WE NEED LINEMEN, NOT HANDS PLAYERS! We literally need a push back... (after spending way too much time getting pushed around ourselves!).
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  24. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,680 / 44 / -26
    Yes, and the reason the Broncos were crushed in the Super Bowl wasn't just because the Seahawks had top CBs, it was because they were able to create continual pressure on Manning. Disrupting the pocket and forcing him out of his comfort zone ground the meticulous Manning machine to a halt.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,680 / 44 / -26
  26. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,680 / 44 / -26
    It seems Krasovic is of similar mind on the NT situation.......

Lissemore and the NT situation
    By Tom Krasovic
    APRIL 4, 2014

The Chargers lack a seventh-round pick in this year’s draft, and there’s a good reason for it. Tom Telesco dealt the pick last September for end-nose tackle Sean Lissemore, and the former Cowboy outperformed the pick last season.

Lissemore, working at right end and various tackle positions, was part of 23 percent of the defense’s snaps in the regular season. In the final four games, nose tackle was his primary position. It is football's most punishing spot although the Chargers, unlike the Redskins, Packers and several other teams, seldom have their nose tackle defend both gaps.

Despite being smallish at 6-foot-3 and 303 pounds, Lissemore was at least average in his limited time there.

He showed excellent flex in the knees, allowing him to keep his rush alive and maintain a forward posture. The 26-year-old figured out fast where the ball was going. He persisted more than the starter he supplanted, Cam Thomas, who may have been worn down by that point. His quickness makes him a moving target, which can create doubt among blockers.

His best play came in the Game 14 victory at Denver after he lined up over the left shoulder of center Manny Ramirez, who is broader and stronger. As Ramirez snapped the ball, Lissemore zoomed right-to-left in front of him and surged upfield, between Ramirez and the right guard. The result was a spoiled run play, one of several as the Broncos would rush for only 18 yards.

As a bonus, Lissemore’s slick work was preserved on the game film. It is is somewhat unusual for a nose tackle to be able to cover that much ground, east-west, and to then translate the move into a surge upfield. Such a threat enhances other options.

Lissemore had success on a few other plays too. Against the Raiders, he fought off a double team by spinning into the hole, where he stopped powerful running back Rashad Jennings. He got off the block of a Giants guard and hit Eli Manning 3.1 seconds after the snap.

All told, Lissemore was a sound, situational performer last year in his fourth NFL season.

The emphasis is on situational.

Chargers coaches protected Lissemore, even after he became the starter. No doubt they noticed Giants blockers knocked him to the ground in three of his 18 snaps at nose tackle and that he seemed to tire late in his 13-snap outing at Denver.

They rested him for long stretches, while leaning on younger ends Kendall Reyes and Corey Liuget to man a two-lineman front, which grew in success late in the season as the surrounding pieces fell into place. For obvious reasons, John Pagano didn’t ask Lissemore to slug it out with hulking blockers for extended stretches. Thomas, for his part, played more snaps than Lissemore over the final four games and seemed better for it.

Now Thomas is gone, and Lissemore would be the starter.

Thomas played more than twice as many snaps as Lissemore last year. Who will pick up those snaps this year?
    Behind Lissemore on San Diego's roster are two NFL sophomores who were signed as undrafted rookies last year: Kwame Geathers (6-6, 335), who played just 39 snaps, and Byron Jerideau, a practice squad candidate who suffered a season-ending shoulder injury last August.

Bottom line: asking Lissemore to play, say, 500 snaps, would be farfetched. Here are his snap totals over the final four games: 20, 13, 18 and 8 in the season finale, which he played in despite a shoulder injury that would sidelined him for both playoff games.

The Chargers ought to find help for Lissemore. It will be interesting to see how NFL teams size up former Notre Dame starter Louis Nix, who is coming off knee surgery and a lackluster final season but was terrific in 2012. A big-bodied young playmaker at nose tackle would benefit the entire Chargers defense, I think, more than a good cornerback.
  27. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +238 / 16 / -2
    What a luxury to be a young professional athlete and have great knee cartilage, great hip flexor and plenty of synovial fluid throughout the joints ;)
  28. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,680 / 44 / -26
    How it sucks to be a decrepit cranky old bastage. ;)
  29. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    While I agree that--in a nutshell--the Superman at NT is the principal reason to play 3-4 instead of the
    more traditional 4-3, the problem is that you can probably count the number of guys out there
    --who are as good as Jamal in his prime--on one hand.
  30. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings Received:
    +297 / 10 / -6
    That's a very good point. Its obviously nice to have both. But Manning in that SB looked like Rivers at his worst. And it wasn't because one or the other forgot how to play football.

I have read that what the Seahawks did cannot be (easily) replicated. The AFC West teams would still do well to take a long look at it though.