1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Nonsense and Non Sequiturs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Blue Bolt, Apr 19, 2011.

1. X FACTOR

X FACTOR In for Life.........

Ratings Received:
    +176 / 8 / -0
    Youngest son Darren's prom tonight...

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG] [/URL]
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. X FACTOR

X FACTOR In for Life.........

Ratings Received:
    +176 / 8 / -0
  3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,686 / 39 / -8
    Well... Anyone impressed with our FA signings yet?
  4. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Back to the Alethiometer..

Ratings Received:
    +956 / 2 / -2
    :tup::tup::tup:
  5. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    :roflmao:

Wait, are you talking about the kid in post #55052?
  6. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,685 / 44 / -26
    He doesn't sleep in a coffin-shaped bed by any chance? ;)
  7. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +781 / 54 / -41
    Damn, they grow up fast don't they !!!

Hope he had a great night X-Man !!!
  8. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +781 / 54 / -41
    Can you name them for me please and I'll let you know. ;)
  9. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +781 / 54 / -41
    I'm gonna need this one explained please !!! :cautious: :confused:
  10. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +781 / 54 / -41
    Bubba does it again, he's not every "golf purist's" cup-of-tea, but he gets the job done, no doubting that, I personally love watching his bomb-away style ..........

I don't care who you are, no one wins 2 Master's if you haven't got exceptional game.
  11. Charger Dave

Ratings Received:
    +956 / 2 / -2
    I am happy with the 7 FAs we brought back. Ohrnberger, Reinhart, and Tutu for offense. Donald Butler, Stuckey, Reggie Walker and Richard Marshal for defense. Hell, I thought Ohrnberger looked great in relief of Hardwick and didn't give up an inch toward PR... Looked better than Nick in run blocking to these old eyes.

Court still has to be out on the 5 guys they brought in from other teams, (I'll list them for Jacko):

RB Donald Brown from the Colts (should be a lot of tread on his wheels, could be a great addition)
    ILB Kavell Connor also from the Colts (should be a better backup than what we had)
    TE David Johnson from the Steelers (good all around TE - not to be compared with Kellen Winslow - could play a very good roll for us in the running game at H-back)
    QB Kellen Clemens from the Rams ( > Charlie Clipboard IMHO)
    CB Brandon Ghee from the Bengals (Has better size than Richard Marshall, but worried about that concussion last year).

On Ghee - He suffered the concussion in their 2nd pre-season game and was out until the 4th regular season game. Then missed game 5-7 with a thigh injury. TT must think there is something there - but given that history it is kinda worrisome.

I don't see us as "diminished" in our free agency dealings, and TT didn't sell the farm. Still looking forward to seeing what he (TT) does in 2015 with some real cap space. :tup:
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,685 / 44 / -26
    [​IMG]
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings Received:
    +325 / 11 / -6

Nice post CD......

Nothing big in the signings but filled some holes, if Brown and Ghee can avoid injury they could help the team a lot!

Sent from my Mobile Zin finder!
  14. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings Received:
    +297 / 10 / -6
    Having a guy named Ghee on the team makes this a better situation all by itself! :D
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,686 / 39 / -8
    I dunno.... 55052 doesn't show anything... :(
  16. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,686 / 39 / -8
    Most significant signing: Re-signing linebacker Donald Butler as the long-term anchor for the middle of San Diego’s defense was the team’s top priority in free agency, so mission accomplished. The University of Washington product has had trouble consistently staying on the field. But with his athleticism and playmaking ability, Butler has the potential to blossom into a perennial Pro Bowl player.

Most significant loss: It might not be felt on the field, but Charlie Whitehurst leaving the Chargers in free agency to join former San Diego offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt in Tennessee will be felt in the quarterback room. Whitehurst is a close friend of Philip Rivers, and served as a good sounding board for the franchise quarterback in practice and in games.

Biggest surprise: Some league observers raised eyebrows over the Chargers signing Indianapolis Colts free-agent running back Donald Brown to a three-year, $10.5 million contract, including $4 million in guaranteed money. Critics of the deal surmised San Diego had enough depth at running back with Ryan Mathews and Danny Woodhead, and that money could have been better spent on more obvious needs such as cornerback or outside linebacker. However, the Chargers have morphed into an offense that leans on the running game. So if Mathews is banged up, San Diego needs a running back with a similar skill set to effectively run in between the tackles. Add to that the fact that Mathews and Woodhead are free agents at the end of 2014, and Brown offers some insurance in case either player does not return.

What’s next? As the second wave of free agency approaches, the Chargers still have holes to fill at cornerback, defensive tackle, interior offensive line and receiver. Players who could make some sense for San Diego include Denver Broncos free-agent cornerback Champ Bailey and, if released, New England Patriots defensive tackle Vince Wilfork.

March 18, 2014Signed WR Seyi Ajirotutu to a one-year contract.
    March 13, 2014Signed LB Kavell Conner, LB Reggie Walker and CB Brandon Ghee.
    March 12, 2014Signed TE David Johnson to a two-year contract.
    March 12, 2014Agreed to terms with RB Donald Brown on a three-year contract.
    March 10, 2014Agreed to terms with G Chad Rinehart on a two-year contract.
    March 8, 2014Agreed to terms with S Darrell Stuckey on a four-year contract.

Dontrelle Inman - Signed to Chargers
    Dontrelle Inman - Signed to Chargers
  17. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,686 / 39 / -8
    Good post CD. Tanks for the info... I look at the list though and cant help but wonder if we are not just stagnating. I mean, I get that we have to see how these gears mesh on the field, but it doesn't look to me like we are improving at all...
  18. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,685 / 44 / -26
    Wilfork re-signed with the Pats, and Bailey signed with the Saints.
  19. Charger Dave

Ratings Received:
    +956 / 2 / -2
    Conc, if we had kept guys like our former FB and NT, I think stagnating would have been a good word - but don't believe it applies now - especially with our cap situation thanks to the former front office.. Again, court is still out - but I can't see how this could have been managed in a realistic manner much better than it has been.

On your other post, Blue beat me to it on Wilfork and Baily.

WR Dontrelle Inman is going to be fun to track, I consider him an aquisition outside of free agency since he was released by his CFL team specifically to try out for the NFL (thanks again Argonauts!).. TT pulled that trigger rather decisively eh?
  20. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +781 / 54 / -41

Hmmm, how did I miss that one ? :whistling:
  21. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +781 / 54 / -41
    Couldn't give a rats nutsack whether he can play or not (though my moneys on him having very very little effect come gamedays) ...........

The name alone is a total winner and gives us something to have some fun with when all the football angles have been discussed, dissected and analysised ........................sign the guy to a 10 year deal I say. ;)
  22. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +781 / 54 / -41
    That article was from weeks ago obviously ...............

Its not that I dislike a Donald Brown signing for example ........................but my question in regard to his signing is more along the lines of ..... "Does he improve our chances drastically of becoming a better team" (as do any signings to be honest, but moreso ofcourse with the higher money signings)

Unless Mathews resorts back to his injury-prone early years and Woodhead gets a bad injury, I just don't see where this guy is going to get that much playing time, much less elevate us to elite status.

Just not sure I understand the thinking of spending a large amount of our cap space on a second/third option type player, rather than an "impact player", that makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Rinehart resigning I have no problem with at all, guy did exactly what we were hoping for of a veteran LG.

Not sure about the Stuckey resigning......................yeah, he's an excellent ST's player, then again, so was The Mayor and what exactly did that get us back in the day ?
    Players these days must be multi-faceted, thats why Osgood was finally let go, I don't see this guy as any different, he certainly can't be relied upon to hold down a Safety position fulltime, that's for sure.

Butler still needs to be more consistent in my books, like many of our LB's of the past dozen years, he shows plenty of ability at times, but also goes missing for long minutes in games when his leadership and sorely needed. Every year the majority of fans seem to "fall in love with our ILB corp"........................be it a Johnson, Spikes, Burnett, Cooper, Dobbins, Wilhelm, etc..................... hardly what I'd call an "intimidating bunch"

Huge job that ILB, shouldn't ever be underestimated how important that role is, I hope Butler can become "that" dominant player, week in, week out.

Hard to get overly excited about the signings of the likes of Johnson (TE) Ghee and Conners, they certainly don't have extensive NFL resumes, so it's more "hope" than anything else at this stage.
  23. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +781 / 54 / -41
    Well neither "improved" this team to any extent that I could tell CD, both had plenty of chances on the field to prove their worth, but didn't, was definetely a good time to move them on.
  24. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +781 / 54 / -41
    Aldon Smith anyone ? :rolleyes:

Time for this lad to revisit the rehab centre.........................and this time around, for an extended stay.
  25. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +781 / 54 / -41
  26. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,685 / 44 / -26
    Simple fact, TT didn't have the cap space to sign an "impact" free agent. That type of player doesn't come cheaply. They also aren't bringing in any guys with questionable characters. It's pretty obvious that they are trying to build a high character locker room here.

I think you're selling Stuckey short...... special teams IS important, and the plays he was involved in on defense he was effective. The guy broke up a number of pass plays, and he wasn't targeted that many times. His percentage of passes defended is the highest on the team.
  27. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +781 / 54 / -41
    No arguement here about ST's being important but again, we went through this very same scenerio with Osgood and many fans were shocked and disappointed that he was let go at the time.

We could argue all day about a Stuckey type BLEW, but even you have to admit, the similarities between he and Osgood are obvious, even though one plays on D and the other fancied himself on "O".

Can't say I recall him making that big an impact on D last year and its not like we don't have a Safety spot up for grabs for anyone who's willing to grasp it .................. maybe this will prove to be his year, can only hope.
  28. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +240 / 16 / -2
  29. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,685 / 44 / -26
    One big difference....... Stuckey is better than Osgood in every way. He's a better gunner (even Gates said as much), and he can actually make plays on defense. Osgood was a quality special teamer who was a bust at his chosen position. Stuckey has actually shown some playmaking ability when given the chance. Just because you don't remember it, doesn't mean it didn't happen. He wasn't really used until the end of the year. Stuckey was targeted 13 times in coverage, and had 4 pass deflections. Shareece Wright had 7 pass deflections in 108 targets..... that stat should tell you that he has legitimate coverage ability (and Wright still has a ways to go).
  30. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,686 / 39 / -8
    The other post was a copy/paste for Jack.

I get what you are saying, and I am not ready to say we are sunk by any means. But again KC and Denver are improving, heck maybe even Oakland. I cant help but wonder if we can keep up.

Good news is we still have some weapons, and agree the last front office SCREWED us....