1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Norv: Don't expect the Chargers to make the playoffs next season

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,690 / 44 / -26
    Your basically saying, that if we hit on everyone of our draft picks, and they're all immediate impact players (and don't have a slew of injuries again), we have a chance to be good next year.

I like those odds. :tup: ;)
  2. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    I wouldn't count out free agency.
    Like I've said, the new HC and GM need to be good. If they're no better than Norv and AJ, we're ******.
  3. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,690 / 44 / -26
    Because it worked so well for us this year. ;)
  4. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    And therefore it's going to suck every year ;)
    How's that absinthe?
  5. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,690 / 44 / -26
    It worked OK for the defense, but not for the offense. Any wonder why our offense sucked this year?

I was just thinking about trying a little bit of the hair that almost killed me. ;)
  6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    There is no such thing as a guarantee. I'm only talking about realistic expectations.

I'm not concerned about ILB, those guys are a dime a dozen. Even Bront Bird looked competent in his short time, and I wouldn't count out Mouton as the eventual starter next year.
  7. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    Whisky won't treat you wrong.

New GM, new probability of picking up quality FAs, especially when the old one resorted to FA only when the boss made him.
  8. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    You can't go into the season with one of those guys as your starter. That WOULD result in a new look for the D, and not necessarily a good one.
    One thing I can guarantee is that the new coach and GM aren't saying 'let's stick with Mouton/Bird at SILB, we'll focus our acquisitions elsewhere.'
  9. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    I think offense is more about chemistry between players, timing, dare I say....continuity.

Defense, most of the players just rely on themselves to be productive. Communication is important but not nearly as much as it is on offense. If someone else is out of position (like Clinton Hart was perpetually) thats not something you can blame anyone else for, thats just a bad player playing bad football.

I think trying to fix CB situation through free agency would be wise.
  10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21

Then we'll find someone...we always do. Maybe Skov in the 3rd round, or Nico Johnson, or Kevin Reddick in the 4th or 5th....all of these guys I like, none of them need to be taken on the 1st day.
  11. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,690 / 44 / -26
    We agree on that point.

It wasn't just Jackon's size/speed and production we missed, it was all his time playing with Phillip in Norv's system. Just plugging in Meachem and expecting the same kind of production was unrealistic to begin with. It takes time to develop chemistry on offense.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +260 / 4 / -2
    Unless your name is Alexander.
  13. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    I'm sure we'll find someone. Point is that there are 5-6 new starters needed. Tall task for new GM.
    But Norv's comment that it would be a surprise if the Bolts make the playoffs was a bit much. I won't be surprised either way. They're a default .500 team right now. Some good acquisitions coupled with a decent HC, and the playoffs wouldn't be a surprise at all. Some bad HC decisions or crap offseason (a la Norv and AJ), and we're ******.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,690 / 44 / -26
    There is an exception to every rule...... he's also much closer to Jackson in size and playmaking ability.
  15. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,690 / 44 / -26
    By playoffs, you mean wild card, right? ;)
  16. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    Unless someone takes off Manning's head...
  17. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,690 / 44 / -26
    So, you're advocating bringing in Harrison to teach Ingram the finer points of decapitation?
  18. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings Received:
    +1,531 / 7 / -2
    I just wanted to quote this part of it because it made me laugh.
    Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

That's why we've missed the playoffs the past few years, huh? FU Norv, good riddance.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,690 / 44 / -26
    I believe he's referring to personnel changes, but that's wasn't his call. If you think it's all Norv's fault that this team under achieved, then you're wearing blinders.
  20. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings Received:
    +1,531 / 7 / -2
    That's not what I think at all, I just found it funny that he's implying HE has all the answers, yet never gave any in the time he had nor did he work with AJ to fix it. We got nothing but progressively worse under Norv's apparent expertise.

My fault for not making it more clear. I don't blame Norv 100%, no way, but for him to throw AJ & the players completely under the bus is hilarious to me.
  21. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,690 / 44 / -26
    I think people are over stressing a single comment. He's not trying to deflect blame from himself, he's giving an honest assessment of the state of the team. It's got a lot of holes, and he's telling the fans not to think it will be an easy fix. I don't see anything wrong with that. If the fact that the team needs a major revamping casts AJ in a bad light, so be it..... it's still the truth.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +406 / 7 / -1
    But once the bodies were at Chargers Park Norv was responsible for deciding on the 53 right?

If that's the case how come Mouton was retained when guys like Bird and Guyton are brought in off the street to play in his stead?, how come Spurlock was let go over Goodman?..... there are more examples.

Maybe AJ was deciding on the roster too?

Then it's a fact that Norv was a total Yes man and to stand there when it is all said and done that it was another guys fault is downright unacceptable.

I'm not saying it was all Norvs fault. There are of 2 of em, actually 3 of them responsible if you include Dean, maybe even 4 if you include McGuire (if he had any act or part in letting some of best players leave via FA). But what Norv stood up and said Monday, for me, was downright disrespectful to the other 3 guys. Guys who supported this buffoon when he should have been cast aside 2 years ago to the day almost.
    • Like Like x 2
  23. newjerseydamo

newjerseydamo BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    I'll just be happy if our 2013 season has a winning % > than 50%. Then compared to the last 3 years, that's progress!
    Coaching change was just one of the things that needed to be done. Constantly being outsmarted in the 2nd halves over the last few years is completely on coaching. choosing dumb plays at certain times of the games, that's on coaching.
    Progress was made the first day of the new season as soon as AJ and Norv got canned. So I'm happy.
  24. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    It doesn't surprise you, does it? He has never once pointed the finger at himself. He has never once say "We all need to get better", he is always saying the players need to do better and that he needs better players. Never once has he admitted that he made bad decisions, poor adjustments, or been out smarted, never
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,686 / 39 / -8
    Why? Who says he cant tell it as it is? I think the people complaining about Norv's 'pot shots' should read the article again. He is asking the fans to have realistic expectation for the next regiem. That is a classy move. He has been impacted by this roster more than anyone else. What is the problem with him saying 'dont be upset if they dont make the playoffs next year'?

Then again, most people here would be offended even if Norv simply said, so long and thanks for all the fishes.
  26. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,686 / 39 / -8
    Why did those things happen Matty? Are you saying that a team without holes allowed the game and season to come down to one play? Should Cleveland have been close enough to make that one catch count? Would a team that didnt have holes have let Denver come back from that lead?

To try and ignore the roster problems is simply turning your head and ignoring the facts. There were many reasons we lost more than we won this last season, of which AJ and Norv are just 2.
  27. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Although they are the biggest 2 reasons
    • Agree Agree x 1
  28. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,686 / 39 / -8
    Really? That strikes me as an awfully myopic statement, a low hanging fruit statement if you will. I would say the OL was the biggest reason. While arguably that can be traced to AJ, there is no way that AJ could have predicted that Gather would have the issues he did. He ignored the OL all too often in the draft.
  29. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings Received:
    +110 / 4 / -0
    My question would be, did AJ actually ignore the O-line or was he lead down the wrong path by Norv and company? If Norv and his coaching staff were telling AJ that the O-line was fine then what is AJ to do?
  30. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    And did the scouts (or others) actually recommend the current players to AJ? These things we will never know.