1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Norv: Don't expect the Chargers to make the playoffs next season

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Dec 31, 2012.

1. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,577 / 44 / -6
    I didn't read Norvs last interview as a cut on the players and AJ did have final say on talent other than the final roster. You can't build a house of brick if all you have is straw and sticks to work with. Meachem just couldn't get the x's & o's down coming from a trash and dash system, it didn't look like he can read a defense. Royal was a MASH unit unto himself and seemed to drop as many balls as he caught. The O-line is indescribable, maybe Harris' baptism by fire gave him a head start on next year but that remains to be seen. Hopefully whatever is left in the deep freeze, Dombo, Schilling and the Trout under the right guidance might be useful come next season.

Defense I don't see as needing as much rework, SILB, one CB and a SS in addition to the foundation and they should be able to run with the big dogs. Of course this is taking into account the offense can sustain some drives and score TD's. Limit giveaways and some of the back to back penalties committed when in scoring position and killing even a FG attempt. Their first year under Pags has been better than the three prior years and they are young and still have a high ceiling above them.

With the right GM and HC, I can't see them getting much worse than last year and I'm sure they can get better and compete. Who knows, with the right tweaks a strong push can lead to a wildcard spot with parity and injuries all being equal.
  2. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    The Chargers basically need 4 new starters on the line (LT,G,C,RT). Two of them might be on the roster already (Harris at RT, Molk at C), and we can probably add a LT to start while keeping Gaither on the roster as a back-up (or the other way around). We could stand improvement at the TE position, and we need depth at CB. Other than that, this team is good to go. Our front 7 needs no real work whatsoever, except maybe to add another passrusher, with that being a luxury acquisition, rather than a desperate need. We could probably sign any RB off the street who can hold onto the ball if we can just get some road graders at guard or an OC willing to adopt a ZB scheme.

I think that the bottom line with Norv's viewpoint is that this team is far away from being in the playoffs in the context of being able to get there using his scheme. I think that a HC/OC who actually fits his scheme to our personnel would likely find the task less impossible.
  3. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    As far as the bold goes, we might even have one or both of them on the roster already.
  4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    The OL was a huge problem, but that was created by AJ, and AJ is responsible for not providing even an OK backup to Gaither who has had injuries and laziness issues and for not providing anyone worth a crap at LG and continuing to ride the Clary wagon at RT. So although the OL was the biggest on field problem, that problem was a result of AJ failing to do an adequate job. So yes, AJ and Norv were the 2 biggest issues because nearly all other issues are a result of their failures
  5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    I was speaking more in general terms there than I was specifically about this quote.

I should have specified that a little better.

People seem to be of the belief that just because something is the truth that it means it's fine to state it anywhere and everywhere. That's not always the case. It probably is here, though.

As for the rest, I don't think it's as unrealistic as Norv states it is that this team can make the playoffs next year.
  6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21
    Charger fans to Norv: "Don't expect to ever be a head coach again."
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    Fun fact: Norv Turner is the only head coach in the history of the NFL to have 100+ wins and 100+ losses and a sub-.500 record.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings Received:
    +886 / 0 / -0
    Norv is right. But this is also part of the reason he should've been fired. He allowed it to happen and kept his mouth shut. He is too nice to be a Head Coach in the NFL.

While AJ was f--king things up in negotiations, Norv should've been rocking the boat publicly and letting Dean know this was killing his organization. But that's not Norv's style. So he leaves with the respect of the players, coaches, and executives... but not the fans.

I think he's comfortable with that. And at some point he'll be the OC on a team that ends up thumping the Chargers. And he'll smile big.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    Can, but frankly I thought it was classy that he asked for the fans to be patient for the incoming regiem. I dont see it as negative or pot shots at all.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +604 / 11 / -4
    That'd be great but he's going to charge more than he's worth.
  11. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +604 / 11 / -4
    AJ explained it earlier this year. He felt that Gaither backed up by Dombrowski was the way to go.
    AJ clearly screwed the pooch on that one.
  12. powayslugger

powayslugger 2014--- Bring on the Lombardi!

Ratings Received:
    +142 / 3 / -0
    You know , listening to this BS from Norv makes me laugh. If Norv had any kind of nuts at all he would have been in AJs office demanding players and maybe questioning some of the moves and draft choices. But not Norv. He is such a milquetoast that he just sat quietly and watched it all happen. I put it all on AJ at this point. AJ hires a know toady/ yes man to be his coach and then walks all over him, just like everyone thought he would. We all said when Norv was hired that he would be a pantywaist and he was.

But now Norv standing there and telling us all tht the team has run dry of talent... Well... No sh1t Sherlock. Why is it tat you never spoke up Norv and demanded real talent for tis team instead of sitting there with your lips locked and silent?
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,777 / 47 / -26
    How the **** do you know what Norv said to AJ? Do you have some special knowledge of their working relationship?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. starry

starry BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    If Norv was unhappy he could always have left (like Marty did) but he didn't, he was willing to go along quietly with every mistake AJ did.
  15. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,777 / 47 / -26
    Marty didn't leave, he was fired...... Dean fired him.

If Marty "left", then Dean wouldn't have had to pay him what was left on his contract, now would he?
  16. powayslugger

powayslugger 2014--- Bring on the Lombardi!

Ratings Received:
    +142 / 3 / -0
    Norv's gone and good riddance. Who really gives a crap what he thinks now? IF he thought the team was so low on talent why didn't the guy say or do something? Nope- he kept his mouth shut- proving he was nothing but AJs "yes man".
    Nothing stinks of sour grapes worse than pooping on your GM on the way out the door. It doesn't take much in the nuts department to bad mouth your boss on the way out the door. When he should have said something- when it could have made a difference - he was quieter than the Sphinx on a hot Egyptian summer day.
  17. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,777 / 47 / -26
    I'd hazard to say that you haven't a clue what Norv did, or did not, say to AJ......... no ******* clue.
  18. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +165 / 4 / -1
    If Norv & his incompetence were still coaching the Bolts, he would be correct in his assertion that this team was nowhere close to being a legitimate playoff contender - instead, here we are, knocking at the door and we just might get the help we need, & kick that door in on Sunday. If we do make it in, we’ll be a team that no one will want to play.

Even if we don’t get in, we’ll probably win anyway and finish at 9-7, completing our 1st winning season in 3 years.
    What a difference a year (and a decent coach) makes!
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,777 / 47 / -26
    Lets not forget AJ's part....... what a difference a good draft class makes. Norv's main complaint was the loss of talent over the years..... that's why he asked fans to be patient. He knew it would take time to rebuild the roster.

Luckily, Telesco has shown good evaluation skills, so far. Of course, AJ hit a few early on as well......... then it was straight downhill.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Burlington Bolt Brother

Burlington Bolt Brother BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +162 / 31 / -13
    Norv sure did suck at utilizing woodhead, Dunlap, Fluker and Allen :confused:
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +805 / 54 / -42
    They were Chargers when Norf made that statement ? :whistling:

C'mon BBB, you're better than that ...... ;) :D
  22. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings Received:
    +162 / 31 / -13
    Of course I'm better than that!
  23. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21
    Maybe he should've shut his mouth rather than assume the Chargers wouldn't be able to sign a couple low cost free agents and draft a couple rookies.

Sounds like an emotional comment from a butt hurt former employee now doesn't it?
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings Received:
    +162 / 31 / -13
    yeah, except you don't really seem like a former employee. "Butthurt" is still 'tattoo on the face' type unemployable.
  25. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21
    Uh huh, I'll take that weak banter to mean you don't actually have an intelligent response.
  26. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings Received:
    +162 / 31 / -13
    "banter" is never used in an intelligent response...Neither is "weak" or "butt hurt". I'm not bluffing when I say you are too stupid for this conversation; the only thing you have left is to say I'm mean.
  27. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +132 / 1 / -0
    It doesn't make sense to me to place blame on Norv OR A.J.. The latter dropped the ball on the acquisition and retaining of talented players, and the former did a poor job putting what guys he did have in a position to succeed.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  28. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    This is it in a nutshell.

While I was happy to see Norv go to some extent I actually wouldn't have hated it too much if we kept him but still replaced AJ.

Norval had his drawbacks but AJ was the real problem.

That being said, if you're going to take down your GM it's probably best to go ahead and overhaul the staff as well.
    • Like Like x 1
  29. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    And neither is ad hominem responses. Just sayin'
  30. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    In a team sport....forget that, in any organization that takes a team to run the blame never EVER falls squarely on the foot of one person.

However, I'd say that in the overall scheme of things AJ owns the largest piece of the pie. Norval showed he can take this team to the brink of a Super Bowl and only get cut short after his HOF RB and star QB both get hurt (one playing through it while the other could not).

I'm no Norval apologist but I still think we could win with him if he's given the right talent, which he eventually didn't have enough of.
    • Agree Agree x 1