1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

"Norv heats up practice"

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltmanbz, Oct 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    http://www3.signonsandiego.com/weblogs/chargers/2008/oct/24/norv-heats-practice/?chargers

Chargers Blog

Norv heats up practice
    By Kevin Acee

Posted: October 24, 2008
    19 Comments

Anyone who still thinks Norv Turner isn't fiery missed the end of yesterday's practice.

Turner fairly regularly speaks to the team in this manner. He just doesn't always do it in earshot of the media.

Turner paced in front of his team, which was circled around him, imploring them to "make it happen." His voice was loud, cracking at times. His message was that there are players that make plays happen, and it's a mindset to do so, and they had better get in that mindset, given their current predicament.

During practice, cornerback Antonio Cromartie worked only sparingly, as did receiver Chris Chambers. Both are listed as questionable. Jyles Tucker is also questionable. All three will probably be active, but Tucker is the most likely to see a lot of time.

The concern is that the last time Cromartie played without practicing, at Denver, he was horrible. As for Chambers, there is still thought that resting him this week and next (during the bye) would be beneficial in the second half of the season.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings Received:
    +1,578 / 11 / -0
    I love it when Norv get's fired up :)

Rest Chambers - he's awesome, but we have other guys who can hold down the fort until he's 100% - I'd hate for him to aggrivate the injury in London and lose him for more time than necessary.

Jyles Tucker is back - YEEEEAAAAAHHHH!!!! I miss'd my boy - hopefully he's healthy enough to jump right into the mix. I wanna see a ****ing pass rush damnit!

Cromartie's hip has been a problem for awhile now... maybe it's time to sit him for a game or two to heal up? I just can't wrap my head around someone going from stellar to crap like he has - so maybe the hip is a bigger issue than we have been led to believe?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Get on'em Norv!!
  4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,576 / 44 / -6
    Norv should be on these guy's *** and but hard. Our player's seem to think they're good enough to just show up and go through the motions and win. Norv should bench some of them and light a fire under their ***. Sorry about the rant but our team hasn't put 100% into every game, just my speculation. :icon_shrug:
  5. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    Just as I say Norv does have some fire and brimstone. During Mini camp and training camp I heard him yell and talk to players. There were reports of him using Hester as a punching bag criticizing him every practice.

Ted on the other hand doesn't seem to get that angry.

Our offense struggles because of injuries and struggles with the O-line. Plus we have what one original WR. VJ is still developing, its chambers (who is not out) 1 1/2 year with us, Floyd just really starting and a some rookies or barely starters. Gates isn't 100%, more like 75%.

Hard to have an offense run smoothly with a bunch of rookies/new receivers, injured player, and an O-line that isn't consistent.
  6. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings Received:
    +886 / 0 / -0
    "Too little, Too late"
    - B4L

:icon_tease::lol:
    • Like Like x 1
  7. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,576 / 44 / -6
    :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:
  8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +542 / 0 / -0

It's not too late yet.
    Though I would ask, what did Norv do to heat up practice? Promise he'll take them out for pizza if they win?

:hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:
  9. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings Received:
    +111 / 4 / -0
    They're in London, more likely Bangers an Mash.
  10. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings Received:
    +609 / 0 / -0
    He threaten to make them eat blood sausage for breakfast the next morning if they lost.
  11. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +347 / 0 / -0
    Good bangers and mash are *****in'. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, goes better with a Bloody Mary. Trust me.
  12. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +347 / 0 / -0
    Since when is bit*hin' over the line? Jeez, give us a break!
  13. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,137 / 4 / -0
    That sounds positively disgusting.

Not being a fan of English 'cuisine', though, I guess I'm a bit biased. Give me some good ol' Mexican food any day!:tup: But be sure to pass the milk and the Zantac, just in case.........:unsure:
  14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Bangers and mash rocks!!! :tup:
  15. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Ratings Received:
    +942 / 0 / -0
    Damn straight. There is nothing better than mexican food and a ice cold beer.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,576 / 44 / -6
    OK, what's bangers and mash:icon_shrug::icon_huh:
  17. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +542 / 0 / -0
    NFL - Norvys For Losing
  18. Lightning's Girl

Ratings Received:
    +1,137 / 4 / -0
    There's a reason we San Diego fans are in the dictionary across from the definition of 'long-suffering'........
  19. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +542 / 0 / -0
    So much for Nor's heated up practice.

I hope his seat is heated. BIG TIME!!!
  20. Lightning's Girl

Ratings Received:
    +1,137 / 4 / -0
    And Fat Teddy's as well
  21. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +127 / 0 / -0
    Norv is a douche
  22. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +208 / 2 / -0
    Note quite sure how you're going to blame the offensive play caller for a 32 point game. If blame has to go on the coaching staff, place it on the defensive play caller for allowing 37.
  23. Lightning's Girl

Ratings Received:
    +1,137 / 4 / -0
    Anytime you put up 32 points, you ought to be able to win a feckin' football game.:tdown:

Cottrell needs to be voted off the island.
  24. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +542 / 0 / -0

Again...
    unprepared to start
    zero dicipline (result: 119 yards in penalties)
    behind in the first half
    digging out of the hole in the second half

Repeat the same pattern every freakin' week!! :icon_evil:
  25. pure-sol

Ratings Received:
    +208 / 2 / -0
    The penalties were an oddity, the exact same unit that has played all season so far has not done that.

Blame for being behind in the first half would have to go to the defense, they couldn't stop the Saints and get off the field.

We've been digging out of the hole in the second half for two seasons now. I'm not saying that it's a good thing, but it's a common thing for us. Again, blame the defense. If they can't stop the opposing offense then our offense can't get out there and get points.

As far as being prepared, I didn't see anything that showed we weren't prepared offensively. LT had one of his best, if not the best, game of this season with 105 rushing yards in 19 carries. We opened up our running game a TON from previous games. That overthrow bomb to Jackson would have changed the game, but that happens sometimes. Again, I don't see anything that shows that we were unprepared OFFENSIVELY in this game.

Frankly, I'm tired of your idiotic tirade against Norv. I used to think that your were a good contributing member of this forum that was fairly passionate with his viewpoints, but now I just see you as a slightly more reasonable version of MD/P88f. At least with MD I can make the assumption that he's just screwing around, or playing the reverse karma thing since everything he says is just ridiculous. You on the other hand seem like your logic just fell our of your ear one night, and you just happened to have adverse feelings towards Norv the night prior.

I'm not one that takes firing personnel mid-season lightly, but I'm getting there with Ted Cottrell. Norv though, doesn't deserve blame for our losses, at least not the majority of the blame.

And you can bring your "man-love for Norv" arguments out too, but it just shows that your tirade has no substance.
  26. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings Received:
    +828 / 22 / -1
    Amen! :tup:

I honestly wouldn't have a problem with B4L if he didn't insist on going completely overboard. He blames EVERYTHING on Norv, and that just makes it obvious that he isn't really trying to analyze the situation, he's just beating his anti-Norv drum.

Some of this IS Norv's fault. And some of it is on Ted, and some is on the players. Saying that everything is on the coach just shows how clueless he is. The head coach often gets more credit than he deserves, and more blame.
  27. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +542 / 0 / -0

Good. Because it's not a good thing. It's a very bad thing!!!
    Can you say "unprepared?" It is the coach's job to have the team prepared to start and we have yet to be prepared for a game!!!

Glad I annoy you, Norvy.
  28. pure-sol

Ratings Received:
    +208 / 2 / -0
    You're right, and if Norv had the power to call all of the defense shots then I would blame everything on him. But the reality is he doesn't call the shots on that side of the ball. He calls the shots on the offensive side. We are blowing teams up with our offense.

I've made the following flow chart of your logic for your convenience:

Ted Cottrell calls ALL defensive plays ---> our defense is almost entirely responsible for losing our games ---> Norv Turner is responsible for calling offensive plays ---> our offense puts up incredible numbers and has the highest rated QB going into week 8 ---> Norv is at fault.

If this is not your logic please clarify because my 4 year old has better logic than you are displaying.
    • Like Like x 1
  29. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +542 / 0 / -0
    uhhhhhhhh. Norv in the head coach, not the offensive coordinator. That means he has authority of Ted.
    30 points but we were going against an offense that is plenty capable of putting up 30+ points as well. There for, you can't keep settling for field goals in the red zone. We knew it would be a high scoring game.

The team takes on the personality and identity of it's head coach.
    That explains why we play unprepared, uninspired, and with absolutely no passion or fire what so ever. Out of denial?

BTW... it's good to know that your 4 year old is smarter than you!!! :tup:
  30. pure-sol

Ratings Received:
    +208 / 2 / -0
    It makes sense that since Norv is the head coach he would be in charge of Ted. But, as we can see in Dallas, that's not always the case. Up until this week Wade Phillips has not been calling the shots on defense. As you love to put it, Ted is AJ's boy. I'm willing to bet that Teddy has AJ's backing to ensure that he can call the defense the way he pleases.

BTW... your dig at my 4 year old being smarter than me is kind of weak and really makes no sense. Just more proof that your arguments are invalid and should be treated as the drivel that they are. :tup:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.