1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Norv Turner Discussion Thread; The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by robdog, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings Received:
    +1,558 / 11 / -0
    Mat. I know you're pissed off but this thread is getting very close to crossing a line. Be mad at Norv. Be mad at the Chargers. Have your opinions. But others get to have theirs too and without being called idiots or bitches. Even if you don't like them, m'kay?

I'm moving this to the Norv hate thread.
  2. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings Received:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]
    How much will it take for you guys to see this kind of breakdown year after year game after game is on the coach? Even with a different roster and different coordinators if this happens again and again and different players consistently make the same mistakes it has to be the coach. Clearly this thread is about you. Get your head out of the sand man!!!

This is people who continue to defend norv, you have more than just you're head in the sand!

[​IMG]
  3. NORV4LIFE

Ratings Received:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    STEVE YOUNG just said we would be a championship team if our guys could forget about norv!! WHen they're in the locker room stressed out, just forget about norv and go out and win. Says alot, Norv's culture of underperformance and losing is costing us. Look at the difference a coach makes. Look at the 49ers last year vs this year. They lost like 6 in a row to star last year and now they have the second best record and look like the best team outside the packers. If a rookie coach can do it with them imagine what a good coach could do with this talented of a team!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +119 / 19 / -5
    I like to say it's the coach. I like to say it's the QB play. But I'm absolutely clueless to the what it'll take to make this team better. Hopefully someone finds it out one of these days.
  5. NORV4LIFE

Ratings Received:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Maybe this time before we're like 4 games back in the division.
  6. eoconnor101

eoconnor101 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +30 / 1 / -0
    I've followed this thread for awhile so I thought I'd chime in. First off I think it's weak to attack other posters on a personal level. Of course the blood runs hot after a game like this, and most people are just venting but try not to take it out each other....some unity among the fans is a good thing. That said I used to be on the fence with Norv, no longer. I fully believe that while Philip Rivers fumbled a snap last night, and several bogus calls including Gates O PI and Gregory's hit on a defenseless receiver were a continuation of the horrid officiating I've come to expect, Norvous has this team completely unprepared week in and week out. I think in the past they have finished strong because they had so much talent, they figured out how to win in spite of the HC, not because of him, and I think Rivera helped him out a lot. I don't think he's a terrible coach, I think he is mediocre to sub par. Is he an offensive genius...more like offensive saavy with a talented QB(who IS hurt, playing with a lack of confidence, and totally disrepects the play calling but has too much class to say anything to the press about it). But is that enough? Is that all we are? I know a lot of you, like me, hurt really bad on days like today, just as much as anyone in Pittsburgh, Green Bay, or New England. Do we not deserve a franchise like that for all our support?

I think that AFTER we lose to Green Bay this weekend, if we can't go 6-2 down the stretch (either OAK or KC will likely make 10-6 look at their schedules)...and with games at Oakland, at Chicago, at Detroit, Baltimore, and Buffalo that's a really BIG if, Norv should be shown the door and I'm 50/50 on Smith joining him. At any other Franchise it would be a sure thing that Norv would be out of here after failing to reach the post season after two straight seasons but with Spanos with a half of a foot in LA it doesn't seem a sure thing. The obvious replacement is Gruden and I'm all for it, but I disagree with letting Norv remain as OC, f you clean house you clean house, I would let Manusky stay and see if he can develop the Defense (those blaming the D for last nights loss must have been 3 sheets to the wind by kickoff) as for OC, here's one out of the blue, Jeff Tedford the Cal coach. He took a 1 win team in 2001 to an upper echelon program and has coached 8 first round draft picks along the way, and by reputation is the hardest working coach in college football (air mattress in office) and set passing records for Fresno St. as a QB.

But the main point here is I've tried to give Norvous all the benefit of the doubt I could, and I think his time and possibly AJ's has come. Norv for shaky play calling during certain critical moments, plays that take too long to develop, lack of mid game adjustments, underprepared and undisclipined players, and general lack of fire and motivational skills. I have to agree that not many NFL coaches would have done less with a talented roster. Forget Ryan, ask yourself this; would we have at least been to the big game if Mike Tomlin was our coach? As for AJ, I think the reasons for canning him are 1) Wasted draft picks such as English, Davis, Cason, and possibly Luiget (especially because he drafts players the scouts don't recommend), mismanagement of the roster last year that led to holdouts from Vincent Jackson and Marcus McNeil, mismanagement of salary last year which led to overpaying Weddle this year which meant that we couldn't hold onto Sproles and Burnett (the lack of depth at both positions last night was exposed), and most of all his decision to hire and then extend the contract of Norv Turner. Now that I look at it all written down, I'd say I'm all in on showing AJ the door.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. airbolt

airbolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    The Chargers made a fool of themselves in front of millions last night. It was duly noted on the East Coast. Listened to Chris Mad Dog Russo, who spent two different segments chastising the Chargers play last night, and especially A. J. Smith, whom Russo has a special distaste for. As far as Turner, the cat is out of the bag, a soft puppet. For everyone calling for Turner's ouster, remember it starts with A.J. He may have to go first.
  8. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    For those of you wondering what a Chris "Mad Dog" Russo is, and why you might
    care about the "radio personality's" opinion re. our Bolts, AJ or Norv, here is a sample:
    http://bentcorner.com/chris-mad-dog-russo-has-an-epic-melt-down/

For those of you wondering what special experience, insight, credentials, etc. Mr. Russo has about
    the NFL in general, and the Chargers specifically, I will follow this sentence with his resume...
  9. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings Received:
    +826 / 22 / -1
    I think I listened to like 5-10 minutes of this dude once and was done.
  10. airbolt

airbolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    What's your point? This isn't about Russo? The point is the East Coast is talking about the Bolts incompetence, any number of callers also discussed the game last night.
  11. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    I have no idea who you mean by "the East Coast" but since you
    cited Russo--as if his opinion was worth worth a damn--I think it's relevent
    to point out that he's just a radio blowhard with no credibility whatsoever.
    Would some Bills fan be worried that Hacksaw Hamilton had
    "a special distaste for" their GM?
    It was a dramatic ending to a nationally broadcast game, of course radio
    guys are going to be talking about it. Does a fluke muffed snap, which
    changes a W to an L really mean that much, in the big picture?
    And even IF this Russo bozo really WAS representative of "the East Coast,"
    though he obviously isn't, who gives a damn? The Chargers have outperformed
    the vast majority of the NFL the last 7 or 8 years, and talk doesn't change that.
    What matters is what happens on the field. Maybe you care what a radio clown
    on the East Coast says about a team he doesn't know as well as many in here,
    but I don't.
    You can have the last word on this (how else could you "win"?) :) ...it's not worth beating any further.
  12. airbolt

airbolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Lance- you take your fan boy helmet off and want to discuss the perception of the Chargers in the NFL I'd be glad to discuss it. Frankly, I don't give a damn what you think of Russo, if you want to bury your head in the sand about this team go ahead. Let's blame the media because AJ and Norv have this franchise on the ropes. Idiot.
  13. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,678 / 44 / -26
    AJ isn't going anywhere people...... his contract runs through 2014, so don't think Dean Spanos will eat that money, he won't. AJ Smith will lead to the transition of Dean's sons taking over the team in 2014. AG Spanos will take Dean's spot, and John Spanos will take AJ's GM position.

If Norv again fails to reach the playoffs, a change may be made to the head coaching position, but AJ Smith will be around..... bank on it.
  14. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +603 / 11 / -4
    ****. That kind of realism I could do without.
    But you're probably right. The Spanos Bros aren't going to burn $2 mill per year on AJs contract while they hire what will widely be known as an interim GM. If JS made enough of a stink, they might fire AJ and let JS take over right away. But that'd be a dice roll. Whatever way they go, the org can't take many more 9-7, 8-8 seasons before the Spanos Bros feel it where it counts.
  15. NORV4LIFE

Ratings Received:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    WHen we lose or barely win by "fluke" every week it means there is something wrong with our team. Sure, the snap cost is the game but so did our play throughout. THe only reason we were in position to lose after that snap was that we played awful against a pitiful chiefs team for most of four quarters.
  16. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    Look, I'm still not a Norv fan (or detractor), but Norv's 45-26 record here is the envy of 90% of coaches
    and totally KILLS any attempt at playing the "flukes regularly damage the Chargers" card!

No matter how much you'd like to pretend that it's a "pattern" that feeds your long-ago-determined
    (and ever so fresh!) ;) anti-Norv narrative, Philip's drop Monday Night was a once in a career lapse...
    it doesn't mean anything more than that Rivers was thinking about the defense--for a split second--
    more than he was focusing on the snap. Trying to make THAT Norv's fault just shows rabid desperation.

p.s. Not adapting to the Chiefs' doubling up on Gates (as the Pats did) and making more of one-on-one
    with a stud like Vincent Jackson, IS Norv's fault...he should've anticipated that after the Pats created
    the blueprint a month ago, and game-planned better for it. See, THAT's what a legitimate Norv gripe looks like...
    not just everything that doesn't work out.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,684 / 39 / -8
    Fully agree even with the hard to read grey text. I will add that VJ was targeted 11 times, catching 3 for 49 yards.

The Offense seems to be playing slowly to me. they are not playing from snap to whistle and the fact that our pasing game isnt clicking when we broght back VJ, M80 to maintain continuity is a head scratcher. So 11 targets to VJ, 3 catches. I think that is why Norv did not take more advantage of VJ vs. Chiefs.
  18. eoconnor101

eoconnor101 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +30 / 1 / -0
    Lance 19, since the Jet's playoff loss the bolts are 13-10 and most likely about to be 13-11. Do you think tha's acceptable...are you satisfied with just over 500 ball? Let's remember that he has PR, Gatesy, VJ, M80, Tolbert, and Matthews. Not to mention pretty good back ups in Crayton, McMichael, and Brinkley. VJ looks disinterested, what's with all his little juke moves as he runs routes....it slows the play up and he's bigger and faster than his assigned DB....just run the route as quick as you can and get there...Norv should be addressing this with video and in practice. He doesn't, his plays take too long to develop and too often Rivers is sacked, hurried, forced to throw into triple coverage, or forced out of the pocket where he does surprisngly well for a slow guy.

I don't think this is on Rivers at all. I think Rivers and Norv are att odds, and Rivers is out there playing his *** off hurt and disenchanted. 1 Int was tipped and he had a TD stolen. So really, I score it 300+ yards of passing with 1 TD and 1 Int and one fluke snap/fumble that he took the blame for but probably was also Hardwick's fault as well. I think the reality is that both players switched off because the play was to take a knee and mentally they lapsed on execution because taking a knee doesn't really require any effort.

Concudan, I also think they aren't playing from snap to whistle, all four quarters, and although certain players look like they are just going through the motions (looking at you VJ), I think it's up to the coach to put a fully prepared team on the field and have them play all 4 quarters without shooting themselves in the foot with constant penalties that back us up for constant long yardage situations. Targeting VJ 13 times is a good idea, but with quick routes that work not a crapload of double moves with stutter steps and head fakes that result in the end in a good DB still being right there when the ball is delivered. I actually think Norvous is a good guy, and has an eye for the game, but sometimes a change is what's needed to re-boot the desktop, and this team needs a re-boot in a bad bad way. I
  19. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings Received:
    +826 / 22 / -1
    See, that's way better than one of the usual "Team's not prepared," "Team's not motivated," "No passion," standard Norv bashes that are used in 99% of all Norv hate posts here and anywhere else that comments are allowed.
  20. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,678 / 44 / -26
    If VJ wants to be paid like a top 5 WR in this league, then he has to be able to beat one-on-one coverage.

First Revis, and then Flowers...... both great cover men, but both considerably smaller than Jackson. You're a big strong guy, Vincent..... play like one for crying out loud! :mad:
  21. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    Did the Chargers get a new coach "since the Jet's playoff loss" ? How is that snippet of
    Norv's record more telling than his entire time here? It's no secret that the 2010 club had the worst
    combination of injuries (and hold-outs) the team has endured in maybe a decade.
    I'm not inclined to address your theories about a Rivers injury or guys being "at odds" because both contradict
    the statements made by people who know far more than you or I do. If you don't believe that Rivers
    is executing significantly less efficiently than in his first 5 seasons (he's averaged about 103 passer rating
    the last 3 years, and he's at 80 now) then we probably won't have much of a meaningful dialog.
    I like Rivers, I feel for him, I think he's normally one of the 5 best QBs in the game, but--like almost everyone else--
    I see very mediocre QB play so far in '11. I chuckled when I read your rosy account of Philip's play, because
    I thought "This interpretation could only have been written by two people: Philip's brother Stephen...or his mom!"

Lastly, NO, I'm not currently satisfied. [Direct enough?] :)

Oh, and I noticed you've been here a almost a year, and yet your post to me was only your 5th.
    I'll pretend that's a compliment. ;) Anyway, hope my response doesn't sound too jerky...
    I'm actually glad to hear another calm, rational voice, in here...even if I don't quite agree. :)
  22. eoconnor101

eoconnor101 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +30 / 1 / -0
    I'm glad your not satisfied.

I don't often post because I read a lot of nonsense on here....that doens't mean I'm not watching all the games, analysis, and re-watching myself. I'm 37, a San Diego native, and second year season ticket holder.

The snippet of Norv's record isn't meant to exclude several good regular seasons, I'm simply pointing out that the team is backpedalling.

How is pointing out that Gates O PI call was bogus and one Int was a tipped pass a 'rosy account'....What about his numerous conversions and accurate passes....that's the problem with the ratings system, they only use quantifiable things. What if a QB has 3 such TD calls reversed and 7 passes hit his receivers dead on and get dropped or tipped for picks? QB has a horrible rating even if he was dead accurate and made all the right calls. I was simply trying to state that aside from the horrible airball pass his throws were dead on all night in KC, best I've seen from him this year.

If you are referring to the emphatic statements that Rivers and Turner made at a press conference stating there is no injury to Rivers then I ask you:

1) Would they admit it?
    2) If they admitted it, and your a LB about to play the Chargers are you going to target it?
    3) Do you remember before the AFC Championship game against the Pats when they emphatically denied Rivers was hurt? And then after they came out and said, 'yeah, we lied to you guys, he really was hurt.'
  23. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,678 / 44 / -26
    [​IMG]

@sdutChargersS.D. U-T Chargers

I'm gathering many of u would prefer right now that all my articles basically went like this: "Chargers suck. Norv is a moron. The end."
  24. Drunk

Drunk Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +179 / 1 / -0
    hey conc you have that chargers HQ early morning norv pic by any chance?
  25. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,684 / 39 / -8
    Nope the hard drive with that went kaput....
  26. NORV4LIFE

Ratings Received:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    told ya we shoulda traded vj for brandon marshall
  27. eoconnor101

eoconnor101 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +30 / 1 / -0
    VJ has a pulled hamstring, can't run flat out and jump like he usually can. The Bolts are beat up and their backs are against the wall but what else is new?

I'd prefer any article to Acee's typical sugar coated angle on everything. Why does the press suck in this town?
  28. airbolt

airbolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Acee is way to soft to be the beat reporter. He mugs on camera like he wants to do PR not tough reporting.
  29. eoconnor101

eoconnor101 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +30 / 1 / -0
    A real reporter would be digging in to why the team isn't performing, not writing articles on how great a replacement Antoine Barnes is....Canepa isn't much better, but at least he assigns some blame once in a while.
  30. BÖLTERGEIZT

BÖLTERGEIZT BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This time next calendar year you will bes looking back at why anyperson would defendv norv turner. I don't think this time next year you have any wins if he still charger coach. This very sad me because chargers my favorite FootballAmerican team.
  31. eoconnor101

eoconnor101 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +30 / 1 / -0
    Norv actually called a pretty good game, best I've seen in awhile. He's got to adjust a little bit though, with PR a little off he's got to use play action and pump fakes a little bit more to throw them off the scent....and the scent if blood in the water, self inflected blood and DBs get real excited when they smell it.