1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

NORVember Has Begun

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by robdog, Nov 1, 2012.

1. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings Received:
    +249 / 1 / -0
    Honestly, I am trying to keep things in perspective. But I am getting a little excited, but I feel I shouldn't. Damn you Chargers...

Damn you Norv...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Objects In Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear...

Ratings Received:
    +287 / 1 / -0
    Don't. If we go unbeaten going into Pittsburgh on 12/9, then we can talk
  3. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +602 / 11 / -4
    Stay cool--it was only the Chiefs.
  4. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Objects In Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear...

Ratings Received:
    +287 / 1 / -0
    This...but it still counts
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +602 / 11 / -4
    Yep--way way way better than losing to the Chiefs.
    But both D and O still need to show they can beat good teams.
    Ample opportunity in the coming weeks.
  6. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,498 / 27 / -1
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +602 / 11 / -4
    [​IMG]
    • Funny Funny x 6
  8. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +259 / 4 / -0
    Then I'd say there was some serious nukeage about an hour ago. lololol
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings Received:
    +1,526 / 7 / -2
    PERSPECTIVE DELIVERED
  10. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +625 / 39 / -9
    What if I told you...

...that this win did nothing but cost us draft position.
  11. PanchoX1

PanchoX1 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +55 / 2 / -0
    I have the urge to get excited but am trying not to let myself. I'm waiting to see the outcome of the Tampa game. If that goes well, then perhaps I'll let the excitement creep in just a bit. A bronco loss to the Bengals would help with that too.

And hopefully the Bronco/Chargers rematch on the 18th doesn't squash it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +625 / 39 / -9
    To get excited, you'd have to believe that our team can win a playoff game, do you? You'd have to believe that this team could beat the Giants, 49ers, Packers, Bears, or Falcons in the SB, do you? You'd have to believe that Denver is going to have another epic collapse going forward while we have a complete miracle turnaround in the following areas: CB play (the talent is there in Gilchrist and Cason but their heads sure aren't), line play (Vazquez and Green are talented enough to be NFL guards, but their technique is so sloppy that it completely ruins our line), line personnel (Do you think Clary will be replaced?), and playcalling (do you really see Norv taking advantage of our talent at RB and redesigning the passing attack to actually feature a slant?).

If you don't see those things, then don't get excited. You'll just end the season wondering why it is that we're picking 18th again, unless Smitty packages picks again, and then you'll be wondering why we aren't picking in the 2nd round for the next decade.
  13. PanchoX1

PanchoX1 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +55 / 2 / -0
    I believe the Chargers can win a playoff game

I believe the Chargers can beat the Giants, Packers, Bears or Falcons. Not sure about the 49ers. but a Chargers/49er superbowl rematch would be cool.

I don't believe Denver will have an epic collapse this year but to believe they are beatable

CB play: Personally, I'd like to see Cason benched and get a chance to see what Carr can do. I'm wondering why he hasn't played much yet. is he sucking in practice? Hoping they can hold their own against V. Jackson and the Bucks.

I think the O-line play will get better as the season progresses.

And I do think that the play calling can/will improve.

I also hope that AJ Smith will be fired at the end of the season so he won't be there for the Draft, the FA period or blow the opportunity to retain talent already on the team.

I reserve the right to change any and all of these opinions week to week.
  14. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,498 / 27 / -1
    You root for a draft position

I'll root for wins.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  15. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,248 / 12 / -5
    Ikeman isn't a fan. He always finds a reason to want this team to lose.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    Denver has a 2 game lead and we only play them one more time, how do the Chargers control their own destiny?
  17. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +256 / 3 / -2
    That's a bit harsh. I totally get where he's coming from and I don't doubt Ikeman being "a fan" one iota. Even if it goes against the average fan's grain, his position is very logical, and I can't fault him for that. We both want the same thing, we just disagree on the route to get there.
  18. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings Received:
    +382 / 4 / -0
    I just checked out NFL.COM to read about the Chargers win last night and....
    There was no mention of the game. It's as if it wasn't even played.
    There was however, a story about Tebow's girlfriend.

That site is sure somethin'...
  19. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +625 / 39 / -9
    Here are the options given to us:

Bang a mediocre looking woman for years.

-or-

Bang a real troll for 8 weeks, but afterwards bang a supermodel for years.

You say that I'm not a fan because I don't blindly root for wins? I say that you're short-sighted. You don't want a Superbowl and greatness, you want the instant gratification of a W for one week. I don't want to win 8 games vice 4 games this season. I want to win 72 games vice 48 over the next 6 seasons after this one. I want this team to obliterate it's opponents because it's been built to do so. I want to take advantage of an elite NFL QB in P Rivers and not squander his talent behind a garbage O-line because I get some jollies off of watching the team manhandle a 1-7 team.

I'm not a fan? Hilarious.
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  20. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings Received:
    +220 / 1 / -1

I would think 12-4 is at least a guaranteed wildcard spot. However, I would also think 12-4 would be a miracle...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings Received:
    +220 / 1 / -1
    I think the opinion of a lot of people is that if we can barely miss out on the playoffs, that is in some respect the worst situation, because you get a harder schedule next year and a lower pick, when in reality you missed the playoffs just the same as every other team who doesn't get in.

The thing is though, even if you support a mediocre team, you still love that team, and you still want them to win as much as they possibly can, because that little bit of hope that you might achieve your goal is what makes you love the team and love the sport.

Take for example, last year's final day win got us a harder schedule and a lower draft pick. BUT, that win prevented the Raiders from winning the division, which felt pretty sweet to me, I don't know about others, but I sure enjoyed that.
  22. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    without looking at the head to head remaining schedules, there are 3 teams with 3 losses and 4 teams with 4 losses that are NOT sitting in first place right now. Teams have to lose before we get into the mix. I wouldnt say we own our destiny as of today.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. BlazingBolt

BlazingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Denver has 1/2 game lead and we play them one more time. We run the table the worst we could be is tied for first in the Division.

Now figuring out the tie breaker now if we both finished 12-4 seems like an epic waste of time but I think it's safe to say the Chargers control their own destiny because if 12-4 doesn't get at least a wildcard your name is betty.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +625 / 39 / -9
    It is the worst situation going forward. You get none of the benefits of a playoff team (additional revenue to pay for better coaches/staff/big signing bonuses), and none of the benefits of being the worst team in the league (draft priority, which, with the rookie salary cap is now a tremendous advantage). Does losing feel good at the time? No. Nobody enjoys watching their team lose, and no one rooting for their team to lose in the name of better draft positions enjoys watching the other team win. Here is my (hypothetical, because we've never won the SB) priority of enjoyment based on team success. The relative enjoyment is rank ordered, but there is of course a scaled difference in enjoyment between each of the different outcomes.

Winning the SB

Losing the SB in a close game
    Losing the AFCCG in a close game
    Losing a playoff game in a close game

Getting blown out of the SB

Losing all of our games
    Losing more games than only 4 other teams
    Losing more games than only 10 other teams
    Losing more games than only 15 other teams

Getting blown out in a playoff game, or, having a winning record, but not making the playoffs.

Look at the situation in 1997. We won 4 games, and Indy won 3, and we beat Indy that season. Was our week 9 victory over the Colts, which propelled us to 4-4 before falling to 4-12 really worth Ryan Leaf, and everything that we traded to get him?

Was that feeling of beating the then 0-7 Colts really worth jacking our draft position the following season, and our Franchise for years?

I love the harassment I get for wanting this version of the Chargers to lose, so that future Chargers teams can be infinitely better. I'm 29, and I'll be a fan of the Chargers long after these current players are retired, but one good offseason can completely turn a team around, and a couple in a row can start a dynasty, just look at the hauls the Patriots had from 2000-2005, and the big change for them came after a horrible season where they drafted 6th overall, and selected Richard Seymour and Matt Light.

You can't make this stuff up. The NFL rewards teams that do horribly, in spite of having most of the core pieces necessary to win (QB, defensive front 7, line). We don't have the line, but we do have the QB, and it's a lot easier to turn a line around than it is to unscrew the QB. I want the Chargers to lose because I believe that this good be a great team if they'd just suck enough for one season to acquire the necessary talent to do so, and because I want them to do more than string out playoff hopes until they're eliminated at the end of the season.
  25. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +625 / 39 / -9
    I'm sorry, am I to understand that you seriously think that this team is going to rip off 8 wins in a row and finish 12-4?
  26. mando-charger

mando-charger BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    we where at the game and had a blast and where super fired up for the win.....but for me the excitment stays at the game and does not translate into the rest of the season. we still have norv. we still have aj. rivers still made a horrible judgement call throwing an INT. in the endzone, thankfully just one. wea re still the same team we where last week after the browns and we still have 7 games to go....

that being said i was pleased with our preformance on defense, the running game was great, mathews did well. the contribution of tutu and alexander showed up immediatley....

we had some high points......but it was the chiefs who thanks to us on both counts are now worse than the browns......im still hoping for the best for the season and a big change at the end of the season....stay grounded....head in the game.
  27. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings Received:
    +1,248 / 12 / -5
    Harsh? Please. His wanting the team to lose makes him NOT A FAN. Wanting a change be it the head coach or GM, that I get. But pissing and moaning about the team WINNING a game because it costs us a draft position or prolongs the employment of Norv/AJ is beyond stupid. You NEVER want your team to lose. Period.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  28. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings Received:
    +1,248 / 12 / -5
    Did I say BLINDLY follow the team? Show me where I said that.

Where did I say I DON'T want a superbowl? Again, show me WHERE I said that.

You are not a fan as you WANT this team to lose. I don't care what the fcuking reason is. You will never BE a fan if you take on a LOSER mentality. You have that LOSER mentality.

And getting a high pick in the draft just to get an OLINEMAN isn't going to fix it. If you truly believe that, then you don't undersatand football AT ALL.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  29. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings Received:
    +1,248 / 12 / -5
    Is it totally out of the realm of possibility? Oh...wait...you and your loser mentality never contemplate what's POSSIBLE.

And for the record, I won't say we go 12-4. Is it possible? Yep.

Lastly, just remember what happened to a certain team last year. They too were facing the same questions as we are now. They finished 9-7. They won their division. They knocked off the #1 team in the NFC in the playoffs. They knocked off the #2 team in the NFC Championship game. They beat the Patriots in the Superbowl. But if I asked you before all that happened? You would've have said they should lose to get better draft picks. Or fire their coach/GM.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  30. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    Denver has not lost a game within the division, so just for grins let’s say we beat Denver and both teams win every game besides that head to head game. Denver beat New Orleans where we lost, isn’t that a tiebreaker. Saying you control your own destiny means you win every game and you are in the playoffs. There are way too many tangibles out there to make that statement right now.