1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Norv's going to Cleveland

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Jan 10, 2013.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +709 / 2 / -0
  2. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    To coordinate for Chudzinski who just got the HC gig. Color me surprised. I mean, I like Chud and I wish him luck, but Cleveland's new owner just went from "we're going to get a major name, established HC; I don't care what I have to pay" to "We'll take the 1st time HC who's coming off a pretty subpar year by OC standards." On the plus side, Cleveland's got a pretty darn good OL, and probably the best Norv's had to work with since the Dallas days - though they're also in one of the most pass-rush rich divisions in the league.

Any chance they have interest in trading a pair of 3rd round picks for Clipboard Jesus?
    • Like Like x 2
  3. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,578 / 29 / -1
    Interesting enough, this will mark the 2nd time Norv has worked as an assistant under one of his own former assistants.
  4. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    I think Norv will implement that Dallas offense, with a RB like Richardson. They have decent receivers as well, Greg Little, Josh Gordon, and Travis Benjamin.

As much as I disliked Norv at times here in SD, I wish him and Chud the best of luck in Cleveland. I think they can get it turned around there. Chud is familiar with Cleveland too having worked there, Romeo Crennel could be his DC there, Chud working with Crennel in the past.
  5. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +130 / 19 / -5
    God I feel sorry for Cleveland fans. He'll make that Weeden kid a good QB though..
  6. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,758 / 47 / -26
    Romeo is much better suited to that role....... I believe they are planning to go to the 3-4.
  7. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,578 / 29 / -1
    Why? He's not their head coach.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +411 / 7 / -1
    I immediately thought.... poor Cleveland. How fortunate is he/will he be to go in there with Joe Thomas and Alex Mack on that line and a RB like Richardson. I guess he just needs to work some of the magic, that he might no longer have, on Weeden. I might have missed it but who will take care of their D cos both Chud and Norv are not too hot on that side of the ball?
  9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,569 / 44 / -6
    I wish them luck, tough division to start from scratch though.
  10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I hope this means he takes our bum of a O line coach with him
  11. PanchoX1

PanchoX1 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +55 / 2 / -0
    who is that, by the way?
  12. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,758 / 47 / -26
    Which one?....... we have two. ;)
  13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Take them both
  14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,758 / 47 / -26
    Would think that any new coach would want to put his own staff together..... they at least have that much control.
  16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Doesn't always mean that the old guy won't be part of that new staff. Not sure how often it happens, but as bad as our line has been, I am hoping who ever the team coach is, brings in a top notch OL Coach
  17. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,758 / 47 / -26
    And a new training staff... and a new doctor... and........
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings Received:
    +225 / 1 / -1
    Good for him. I know he didn't work out here, but I still feel he'd make a decent OC somewhere else, and probably a valuable advisor to a rookie HC like Chudzinski, maybe even helpful to a not-so-young QB in Weeden.

I wish him the best of luck there.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings Received:
    +1,545 / 7 / -2
    Hell, as crazy as it sounds, if it were possible I'd take Norv back as our OC. He is simply not a head coach and never will be again. But OC? He's still one of the best IMO.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,377 / 36 / -16
    Actually, from reading these posts for over a year, I think most here agree with you.
    While Norv took a lot of crap as a HC, most here would've chosen to keep him as an OC...
    but of course, that sort of thing rarely happens...just too awkward when a guy's been fired.

And I also think that the overwhelming majority would agree that Norv "never' will be a HC again.

I hate going along with the crowd, though, so I'll be the sacrificial lamb that argues that that might not
    in fact be true. Certainly, it can't happen in the immediate future. The guy's name has been dragged
    though the mud. But four or five years down the line, Norv will still be a young enough to coach. His overall
    HC record is just a bit below .500, but significantly better than when he got his 3rd HC job. He's won well over
    100 NFL games, and over 58% in his most recent gig...something a weak, rebuilding team might value...
    especially if he totally rocks it as an OC, and makes becoming HC a condition of any team that wants him.
    Don't get me wrong: the name 'Norv Turner' is toxic right now...but I'm one of the few that sees a genuine
    possibility that someone looks at his record years from now, and asks "Hey, why all the hate for this guy?"
  21. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,432 / 19 / -4
    My head thinks that's not a bad idea
    My heart and soul are swearing up a storm
    My wallet refuses to go along with that suggestion
  22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,578 / 29 / -1
    I'd gladly welcome Norv back as OC.

The Chargers offense was a top 5 scoring offense in every year under Norv until this year, and a top 10 yardage offense every year but 2007 (20th), 2008 (11th), and this year.

This year, of course, being the season the OL finally deteriorated to the point that their star QB whose main flaw is mobility had to start running for his life almost immediately after every snap.

Does Norv make some questionable play calls? yeah, but who doesn't? But at the end of the day his offensive scheme was never our problem.
    • Like Like x 1
  23. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,569 / 44 / -6
    Norv had his problems and his fair share of the blame but he was not the main reason for the decline of the Bolts. When things starting going into the shiter early on, I mentioned that I'd like to somehow keep Norv around for an OC but it is very rare to have happen. If I recall he already left the Bolt's once after Marty was hired so it would be hard for him to hang in there.
  24. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings Received:
    +412 / 4 / -0
    Norv's second-half offensive scheme was a huge problem.
    It went like this: Abandon the run and draw up slow developing pass plays.
    It ended like this: Rivers sack (no quick pass plays), Rivers fumble (holding the ball too long because of no quick pass plays), Rivers interception (running for his life outside of the pocket do the math). The last one was solved too late in the season by having Rivers just throw the ball away.

In the end, we get a new GM, new coach, and new OC and I'm okay with that.
  25. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,063 / 30 / -0
    It would be a tad dysfunctional to have him as our OC now. But I agree that he's still one of the best. Like Marty, it's hard not to root for Norv. They're both honest, hard-working guys who want to win as much as anybody.
  26. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,578 / 29 / -1
    Nitpick all you like at the end of the day the offensive rankings speak for themself. You cant blame fumbles on his scheme as that suggests he called a fumble. A fumble is a lack of execution of the scheme, not the scheme itself. In our case the problem was the OL not blocking.

Can you fault Norv for not adapting to his talent faults with quicker passes? Maybe. But his track record shows that if you give him adequate talent to make his scheme work hell reward you with one of the NFL's best offenses, if not THE best.
  27. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,578 / 29 / -1
    And yeah i too am ok with moving on. But that doesn't mean ill discredit Norv where it is not deserved.
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  28. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Keeping him as an OC would have been a terrible idea. It would have created a divided locker room of those players that support the new coach and those that didn't want Norv replaced. Thats why you will hardly ever see a HC get demoted to a coordinator role with their same team
    • Agree Agree x 2
  29. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,578 / 29 / -1
    I do agree with this. I was only speaking in a hypothetical, and likely very unrealistic scenario where human emotions don't ruin everything.
  30. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,377 / 36 / -16
    Personally, I think pro level athletes get over this sort of thing pretty quickly. Yes, that first
    Monday is weird, but then it's back to work--taking direction from various coaches--trying to win.

I described it as "awkward" before, because I think it's (usually) too tough psychologically
    on the demoted coach...hard to be seen as not "the guy," where you once were.
    Much easier to start the same level job with a whole new bunch of guys,
    who really are only asking you to be a good OC. No other baggage.