1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

OC/DC Search Thread

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Jan 15, 2013.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +813 / 14 / -3
    You would think that he was our OC. ;)
  2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,498 / 27 / -1
    You're already eating crow with regards to the GM search. Your cynicism has become invalid and unreliable. :roflmao:
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Kj1551

Kj1551 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +10 / 4 / -0
    McCoy will have a hand in developing the offense. Im sure he will teach his system to an OC instead of bringing in an OC with their own system

Edit: it will be a collaboration
  4. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +886 / 15 / -1
    Like I said, keep an eye on Minnesota OL coach Jeff Davidson. I just went and checked on something: Notice how McCoy mentioned Bill Musgrave in his presser as being the guy who gave him his first crack at coaching and was probably one of the bigger influences on him. Musgrave is currently the OC in Minnesota and is another common link between McCoy and Davidson, who already worked together on Carolina's offensive staff (one that was ultimately only undone because Jake Delhomme couldn't stay healthy and the team had to release him to get out from under a massive contract... and then the genius Marty Hurney went and drafted Jimmy Clausen...).
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +661 / 17 / -2
    Listening to his interview, kind of reminds me of Bill Belichick
  6. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,332 / 35 / -15
    Likewise, that gal I've been talking to on-line, sounds like she looks a lot like Gisele Bündchen...only prettier. :D
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +661 / 17 / -2
    I was a little bummed not hearing Canepa say manning but I was pleased to hear "Huuuurka durrrrrrrr clock management, Dirka Tebow, "
  8. powayslugger

powayslugger Optimistic for 2013

Ratings Received:
    +130 / 1 / -0
    I hear fat Ted Cottrell is looking for work... And he's familiar with the system. Continuity man.
  9. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +661 / 17 / -2
    I meant his coaching philosophy smart ***:cautious: . The way he said he'll holds every one accountable for their actions, He sounds like a smart man, who'll teach his system onto every player and run a tight ship.

None of this "I know we lost 4 in a row but my wife made everyone pie to cheer you up"

Time will tell
  10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,015 / 33 / -20
    Nah Bellichick is not animated, he's boring by design. McCoy was confident and decisive, like he was at full attention and ready to get to work.

But I guess after 6 years of Norv Turner anyone will look confident and decisive up there.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +230 / 22 / -3

What about Free Agents? Probably a no there too. Granted Clady should be resigned anyway. Lookin at his yearly salary, it looked like to me that he has been underpaid for his ability and contribution. Pipe dreamin, I guess.
  12. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +230 / 22 / -3
    Oh yea, Jimmy Clausen. I remember him! Wait he already fizzled out of the NFL? Not even a backup to someone?? Brutal.
  13. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +886 / 15 / -1
    With Clady likely ruled out I don't really see anyone we'd have much interest in aside form maybe Dan Koppen and even then that'd likely only be in the instance that Hardwick retires (which if this newly generated energy around the facility proliferates to the roster may not seem as likely as before).

I could see a possibility of Matt Moore being brought here to challenge Clippy for the rights to backup Rivers (could be a way of saving some salary too as Moore may come cheaper than Whitey's already on contract for). Geoff Schwartz may be a decent shot at at least a camp body with the chance to make the roster an prove himself (he played for McCoy in Carolina). Wouldn't be shocked to see us give Mike Goodson a look too if the Raiders don't re-up him (again familiarity with McCoy). I know these aren't big names that folks are expecting, but roleplayers who can contribute right off the bat have their validity too.
  14. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +886 / 15 / -1
    Oh he's a backup... but he's about as quality as Whitehurst is if not worse.
  15. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +481 / 13 / -3
    I like Schwartz, he can be a quality OG and also can kick out to OT. Again, he may not be amazing at OT, but just like Dombrowski, it's worth the signing. There back ups at pretty much 4 OL positions. And the fact we haven't had luck on our side when it comes to maintaining a healthy OL in recent years. Guys like Dombrowski and Schwartz to me hold great value. I rather have them, from OTA's, and throughout camp, to fill in for a guy who is out injured rather than sign a street FA protecting our QB.

I'd like to see Troutman, Dombrowski, Hardwick, Molk, Vasquez, and Schwartz, and also two starting rookie OT's. Those are to be determined. Unfortunately, it's just something we'll have to bear with. I much rather have an Eric Fisher and Justin Pugh protecting Rivers than say Mike Harris and Jeromey Clary. Mike, is still raw so there is an exception but Clary there is none, he just sucks, and I'm sure he won't be here for long.
  16. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +230 / 22 / -3
    Right on LBC. Its not so much about finding a guy to be a fixture for years, as much more just to get players that are in tune with the new coaching staff that isnt really new to them, and are ready to perform at a level that they are able to acheive.

Also I did hear on sports talk a little bit about the plans of Telesco to bring and make changes to the franchise. I wonder has this been speculated on further or has anyone imagined what kind of changes he could be inferring? Im pretty sure I heard Pagano stays so that would mean the 3-4 stays surely... I hope we never have to change from the 3-4. In 3 years im pretty sure the # of teams that have switched to operating out of a base 3-4 has doubled in that time. And we all know the reason why.
  17. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +230 / 22 / -3
    Also, also. I have been confident since Hardwick resigned that he will live out his contract with us and then call it a career.

And given that we havent gotten to see what Molk and.... oh I thought we had another good prospect on the roster but it looks like we will need depth if not this year next. Not sure what Colin Baxter is gonna do for us, and with C/G Rex Hadnot goin on his 10th season prob isnt a long term answer at either position.
  18. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 30 / -0
    Good news about Pags.
  19. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,576 / 42 / -26
    Pagano is a lock....... it's the OC that's the ?
  20. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +886 / 15 / -1
    Hadnot's a FA and has been pretty garbage anyway. I get that Molk is/was being groomed by the previous FO/staff, and he may yet pan out, but I do believe (and certainly wouldn't shy away from drafting at some point if the right prospect is available) that we ought to be looking at identifying a guard that can play 1st team at that position but also is able to move to center should something happen to Nick injury-wise. Or at the very least some depth in the that regard... one thing we've missed greatly this season that helped us in the season when the OL was getting ravaged by injuries but Phil still managed to be productive was an OL super-sub in Mruczkowski. Was the guy truly starter quality? I think I can safely say no, since he's gone to another team and still couldn't crack their 1st team. But was he valuable for what he was - a guy that could come in and fill at any of 3-4 positions on the line without significant decline in the whole line's effectiveness? God yes.
  21. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +886 / 15 / -1
    The 3-4 and/or 4-3 Under are going to remain fixtures for a while simply because of a greater talent pool for players that fit it at the more important positions (i.e. pass-rushers). There are always going to be more undersized/"tweener" collegiate pass-rushers with the athleticism to play at the pro level than there will be guys with similar athleticism that are the 270+ pounds big enough to hold up as a downed lineman in a 4-man front. Similarly, the franchise figures (though this will eventually change with time) to hold onto top-performing "LB's" and "DT's" are still notably lesser than for "DE's" because of the scarcity of premier RDE's which will always drive that Top 5 highest current year salaries figure up.
  22. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,576 / 42 / -26
    Seriously, what's the infatuation with undersized centers? :confused:

Heaven forbid, we actually have a guy who can hold his own against a NTs. NOOOOOO!!!........ we want scrappy little high school wrestlers instead. ;)
  23. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +661 / 17 / -2
    Goodson was drafted in 2009, the same year McCoy was in Denver
  24. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,015 / 33 / -20
    Would you agree with my sentiment that if Barrett Jones by some miracle falls within shooting range of our 2nd round pick...we should probably move up to get him?

As distasteful as it seems to trade away picks at the moment, the guy fits more than just one of our needs.
  25. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +886 / 15 / -1
    Take a look at the last couple rookie class (this one in particular); if you want a center that isn't undersized you typically have to draft them early because they're becoming scarcer and scarcer. It's a product of more college programs running variations on the spread or option which in itself is a product of pretty much two conferences dominating the recruiting pipeline for all the prototype-size linemen (even the former Big XII has started to slack in this department and it's almost exclusively the new Big 12 and the SEC dominating) and with a surplus, they kick these guys to guard when "better" prospects come along that have greater potential. I mean, the two best centers in this upcoming class are also among the Top 3 guards (Jones and Cooper). And you've got pro teams drafting the raw-er, prototype size center prospects and fitting them somewhere else.

This is kind of why I've always advocated instead of drafting a guard to play RG, you should always - wherever possible - draft a collegiate center and have him make a position shift. It's what the Falcons did with Peter Konz (who likely shifts to center next year), what the Bills initially did with Eric Wood, the Chiefs with Rodney Hudson, and the Seahawks with Max Unger.
  26. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +886 / 15 / -1
    Marginal move, certainly. I'll put it this way, I'd certainly sooner trade a 4th round pick in this draft to move up from where we're at in the 2nd round to the Top 5 in that round to secure Jones (though it may not be necessary) than I would use our 2nd or 3rd to move up for the "top-rated" LT in Joeckel in the 1st. Personally though, I still think we're sitting pretty for a marginal trade back opportunity if/when the usual run on QB's starts (typically the 8th overall pick - which is on schedule with a team naturally picking there this year that's likely to be targeting a QB in Buffalo).
  27. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,015 / 33 / -20
    I'm just assuming its foregone conclusion that we have no choice but to go LOT in the 1st round.

That said I guess trading back depends on your willingness to risk losing Eric Fisher, and maybe settling for Lane Johnson or Justin Pugh as our starting left tackle of the future. Because if Miami lets Jake Long walk I find it impossible to believe they won't Fisher at 12, or even trade up ahead of us to get him.

It would be a gigantic risk unless you don't believe Fisher is the real deal. Whiffing on a left tackle (given our QB situation) could have major long term collateral damage.
  28. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +886 / 15 / -1
    Miami wouldn't let Long walk unless they felt they had a proper replacement for him. They do - the same guy they started when Long was placed on the DL - Jonathan Martin, drafted in the 2nd round of last year's draft. The larger reason they appear primed to let Long walk is because they don't want to pay that much money for a player that doesn't fit the zone-blocking scheme Philbin has implemented. Martin does. Now, it's plausible that they find Fisher a better fit than Martin, but I wouldn't think likely.
  29. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,524 / 43 / -6
    I'm more interested in how the coaching staff shakes out right now. Design is going to be the precedent of what dictates the type players McCoy & Co. seek thereafter.

Pags has the defense moving in the right direction and they grew better as the season wore on. The last quarter of the season was fairly welled play on the defensive side where the guys actually started clicking and playing rather than thinking about it.

McCoy seems to be able to move with ease on the offensive front and isn't tied by any certain scheme. His choice for OC may have to follow along those same lines where change up will be the call of the day. It could get real interesting with the receivers already on hand, used right they could blow up most defenses particularly short to medium range very quickly.

ST always seems to be a concern and being that McCoy is so young I have to wonder just what kind of pull he'll have in the league for obtaining coaches. Can McCoy be the next Sean Payton????????
  30. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +813 / 14 / -3
    I was wrong one time and it is now unreliable? I believe I am more accurate than a Kaeding FG. :p