1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Offical combine thread

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by charger1993, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +129 / 1 / -0
    Yeah all the tag figures are screwy because the nfl hasn't kept up with how positions have changed.
  2. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings Received:
    +1,009 / 1 / -0
    Dude, chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    I would still tag him at $11M to avoid him getting to free agency, and hope to strike something at the end of next year. We should restructure Gates, Rivers and Weddle though, seeing how the cap # is always going to rise, next year we'll have $27M with those restructured contracts with a chance of it increasing due to the rise of cap space. Draft well this year, make some bargain signings and cut ties with Clary, Cox, and McClain and we should have enough room and then some left over for emergency.

UDFA's will be key again this year, I think 1 or 2 might make it on our roster seeing how deep the class is. We've had at least 1 make it every year since Gates haven't we?
  4. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +129 / 1 / -0
    It's very simple- we can't afford it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Not to mention, has anyone actually looked at how much (i.e. little) Miami actually guaranteed Ellerbe? It was $14M, which amounted to the signing bonus ($7M) plus one year of annual-average pay. It's truly not that terrible - and that's perfectly reasonable for Butler. The guy is effectively guaranteed for years 1 and 2 of the contract and then if released after yield cap-relief (yes there's dead money factored in, but if he's released in Y3, the Dolphins still save ~$3m from what his total cap-hit would have been, and that amount only increases in subsequent years).
  6. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    It's the average of the Top 5 annual bases for that position (specifically of players who played the majority of their snaps at a "linebacker" position in 2013):
    LaMarr Woodley - $13.59M
    Lawrence Timmons - $11.6M
    Tamba Hali - $11.46M
    Clay Matthews - $10.9M
    James Laurinaitis - $10.4M

Welcome to the wonderful world of all linebackers being lumped together.
  7. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    It's no so much "not keeping up," this is something that (believe me on this) the NFLPA specifically fought to keep as vague as possible when defining the franchise tenders in the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Which positional tag applied to a player could/can/has always been able to be challenged/appealed by the player if they don't agree with what the team designates them. And in most cases of a challenge, like Suggs previously (who appealed for DE money when tagged as a linebacker), a settlement is reached.

The owners would absolutely love to be able to have twice as many tags or tags that are more "role/scheme-specific" than position-specific, but it's a two-way street and in order for change to occur it would have to be conceded in the CBA. And the Players' Union is always going to argue, stand by, whatever situation offers the greatest potential earnings for the players.
  8. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I'd add on that restructuring just for the sake of gaining "space this year" (particularly when if you look at our future cap situations that offer us $40+ million in space in 2015 and years moving forward) is pretty dumb.

Perhaps unknown to some folks, Rivers did a small restructure last year (freed up around $3 million for which the cap-hit was deferred over this coming season and the next). It's possible Weddle or Gates do the same this season - but given the way last season played out (which isn't a lot to go off, but it's something), it's doubtful Telesco asks them to do it unless it's absolutely necessary and it will be minimal (similar to Rivers', around $2 million or so), because they both only have 2 years remaining on their deals including this next one.

Restructuring players en masse is only a prudent move when you're in a position like the Steelers were in over the past several seasons - where you have a bonafide championship caliber team already assembled and you making what is effectively an "all-in" move banking on squeezing as many championships out of the next several seasons at the expense of the future. For teams in a state like ours is, it's dumb, we'd end up turning into the Jets of the Mike Tannenbaum years cap-wise.

Fans don't want to hear it, but the smart move is doing absolutely nothing (or at worst negligible) to touch that 2015-and-forward cap-space beyond any new contracts we create/sign this offseason, and if that means biting the bullet and having a lean-year in terms of free agency/roster moves then that's what you do. The only way to keep your cap-situation in a constantly favorable state is to consistently draft well enough to keep your team flush with inexpensive talent year-to-year. It's going to take more than a year for Telesco to do that.

We're going to get some relief as it sounds like the salary cap is set to increase to around $135 million, and we'll probably see some releases (not quite to the extent I think some folks are envisioning), and they probably won't come until they're actually necessitated or until the player himself has been replaced on the roster. The only reason (aside from off-the-field issues) players get cut from teams at this stage are teams trying to create enough space to get under the cap (or enough cap to slap the franchise tag on another player) or team's trying to get the guy off the roster before the start of the new league year in order to avoid owing him a particular roster bonus due in that new league year.
  9. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +129 / 1 / -0
    Quoted for trooph...
  10. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    Wasn't "Jewish Kid & Chinaman" NBC's 8:30 p.m. lead-in to Chico & the Man in 1977?

(you know, after "Chicano and a Nisei" at 8)
  11. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +42 / 2 / -0
    They actually changed it slightly in the new CBA, so now it's a five year rolling average for the non-exclusive tag, which is certainly what we'd be giving Butler if it came to that. This keeps the really crazy contracts from blowing up the franchise number. Obviously in Butler's case we'd be far better off giving him the 2/14 deal that Ellerbe effectively got rather than a franchise tag at 1/10.

Totally agree with your above post about not pushing the hard choices into the future unless you absolutely are all-in. We're not. I much prefer a Jay Cutler contract to a Joe Flacco contract for this very reason. And I've said this before in my limited time here, but it's worth repeating: every team has cap space when you look out into the future (okay, maybe not the Cowboys, but every normal team.) But then when you add in 2014 and 2015 draft picks, 2014 free agents, and re-signing your own guys whose contracts expire by the end of next season, all that space quickly evaporates.
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  12. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Cowboys actually have it too, but you have to look at it with the lens that their front office does. Just about every long-term contract that they sign their players to is designed to be restructured at roughly the halfway point as a sort of "cap-space nest egg" - mostly because Jerruh is so cash-rich he has no problem doling out massive one-time payments (bonuses) if he thinks it gains him some sort of competitive advantage.