1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official 2013 coach hirings thread.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan, Jan 1, 2013.

1. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,498 / 27 / -1
    Arians will be 70 in 10 years, I don't think he's a very long term hire even if he is good for the time he'd be here.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +481 / 13 / -3
    Well it wasn't really "mid-season", but anyways, yes they had a roster turnover, including 13 rookies. But when your picking in the top 5 every round of the draft you should have the best of the best when it comes to rookies. And the Colts hit there selections on the head rounds 1 through 5.

But, what bothers me is, if this guy is such a "good" coach why did it take so long for him to be a HC? His offenses in Pittsburgh weren't anything special, and having some of the leagues best players at their positions like QB (Roethlisburger), RB (Pre-Injure Prone Mendenhall), WR (Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes, Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown), and at TE (Heath Miller) and his best finish as an offense was 7th and that was in 2009 and they didn't even make the playoffs that year.

The guy is 60 years old, had an overrated interim head coach career on a team he didn't even build. That was Chuck Pagano's team, and the results may have been very similar if Chuck coached throughout the year.

The Colts could only put up 3 FG's against the Jets and got blown out by one of the leagues worst offenses 35-9. And let's not forget about the blowout in New England either. Then they barely beat 4-12 teams like the Lions, Jaguars, and Titans. And a 2-14 team were tied with them heading into the 4th quarter and only beat them by a TD.

There record with Arians as head coach looks nice, but it's fraud.
  3. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,498 / 27 / -1
    I won't be angry if they hire Arians. I'm willing to give anybody not named Jim Mora Jr or Josh McDaniels the benefit of the doubt, but he's quickly dropping on my list of favorites the more I think about it.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings Received:
    +886 / 0 / -0
    Wasn't Arians put into the interim HC role about 4 weeks in? So that, to me, is still "mid-season"... anyways...

Who knows why Arians has never been a HC before. Maybe he never really pushed for that opportunity? Maybe timing is everything.

We'll see.
  5. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +659 / 17 / -2
    I also hear he doesn't change his game plan no matter how much it is failing. He stubbornly expects his players to adapt to his system rather than adapting the system to the talent he has. He also would rather friend his players than be a boss/coach (which isn't a terrible thing but there needs to be a line drawn) We need someone to come in and push these players.
    Furthermore the man appears to have a lot of Norv/Martz in him where he'd rather throw the deep ball despite the talent he has on the O line
  6. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings Received:
    +820 / 22 / -1
    I'm with you, I'm not too excited about Arians. Not too thrilled with his resume, and dude is 60. I think I'd rather see them go with a young, energetic guy that could conceivably be here for a long time.
  7. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,574 / 42 / -25
    That's my preference as well. The fact that we have a young "owner in waiting", and a young GM, makes me inclined to think they'd prefer to have a similar young, hungry, and energetic HC.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +885 / 15 / -1
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,248 / 12 / -5
  10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,013 / 33 / -20
  11. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,574 / 42 / -25
    Good luck to them both...... they should help that struggling franchise. Too bad for them, the weather sucks. :D
  12. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,248 / 12 / -5
    Well, that's interesting. Good move for Norv as he knows Chud.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,574 / 42 / -25
    Norv is in Hawaii at the moment....... I doubt he's in any hurry to go to Cleveland. ;)
  14. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +659 / 17 / -2
    UTKevinAcee@UTKevinAcee
    @RapSheet: Sources: Ex-#Bears coach Lovie Smith is in O'Hare Airport right now at the San Diego gate. Heading to interview with#Chargers

UTKevinAcee@UTKevinAcee

Lovie Smith will interview with Chargers today. That & Mike Zimmer interest shows inkling to go w defensive-minded HC. OC hire would be key.

UTKevinAcee@UTKevinAcee
    @helix760: Hiring Lovie Smith would indicate a switch to 4-3 more than likely. Major defensive personnel change coming?” >Not necessarily.

UTKevinAcee@UTKevinAcee
    Looks like Ken Whisenhunt will follow Lovie Smith to San Diego. Ex-AZ coach to interview Saturday. He has long eyed job.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports ex-Bears coach Lovie Smith is interviewing with the Chargers on Friday.

ESPN's Adam Schefter first reported the Bolts' interest in Smith a week ago. The Chargers are also expected to interview Colts OC Bruce Arians and Bengals DC Mike Zimmer, with 49ers OC Greg Roman possibly in the mix after Saturday's game. Smith is also interviewing for the Eagles' head-coaching vacancy.
  15. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +659 / 17 / -2
    • Like Like x 3
  16. Kj1551

Kj1551 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +10 / 4 / -0
    I'm hoping telescope gives everyone a fair chance, but I'm liking the names out there
  17. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +659 / 17 / -2
    With all the other names being floated out there, is it wrong Im hoping Arians gets hired by the Bears?
  18. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,013 / 33 / -20
    No, I'm nervous about him too. On one hand he seems like the guy to fix Rivers, on the other he might very well be another Norv Turner. A better #2. A Pau Gasol if you will.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,574 / 42 / -25
    Carroll was effusive in his praise of Bradley, whose defense was ranked No. 1 in the NFL this past season.
    “He’s got a tremendous personality, he’s got a great work ethic, he’s got a brilliant football mind,” Carroll said. “He’s got a way of reaching people and touching people and getting the best out of them, coaches and players alike.
    “He’s got everything that you’re looking for and we’re fortunate he’s had a great three years with us now, and we’re playing the best football we’ve played. It’s really a great relationship that we’ve had and we’re very lucky to have him.”
    • Like Like x 2
  20. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,013 / 33 / -20

And yet now I'm thinking...why didn't we hire Pete Carroll?
  21. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings Received:
    +382 / 4 / -0
    Arians will be 100 years old in 40 years and that would make him a horrible long term hire (sarcasm/ageism).
    The other guys coming in for interviews I wouldn't mind so much, but I'm a little norvous about the OC position.
  22. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,348 / 19 / -3
    So the schedule is/was
    Thursday: Gus Bradley DC Seattle
    Friday: Lovie Smith former HC Chicago
    Saturday: Ken Wisenhunt former HC Arizona
    Sunday: Bruce Arians OC Indy

Possible future interviews; McCoy, Zimmer, Roman?
  23. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +659 / 17 / -2
    The coaches I want. Greg Roman, Ken Whisenhunt, Gus Bradley, Lovie Smith, Bruce Arians in that order.
    Basically if the first 3 are taken I'll settle for the other 2
  24. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings Received:
    +176 / 0 / -0
    Greg Roman.....hhhmmm......this cat has peaked my interest.

[​IMG]
  25. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +659 / 17 / -2
    Just speculation but apparently they're saying if S.F. loses the Chargers will pursue Roman. Bradley was available for interview because their seed in the playoffs or something like that. If they're to beat ATL. then he can't interview until they win the S.B. or are officially eliminated.
    Im just glad Telesco acted upon that and allowed us to get a first crack at him.

I do find it odd that of 2 of the DC candidates for head coach, both do not run the 3-4. If lets say Lovie gets the job and brings in Hue Jackson as an OC I'd be welcoming to that idea
  26. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +885 / 15 / -1
    Honestly, I would say we're still going to wait and interview Roman unless he interviews and agrees to terms with Jacksonville first. I realize people are getting antsy and want to see a new name put in that HC slot, but you have to remember that by the 13th last year there had been one new HC hired (Romeo Crennel promoted by the Chiefs and Fisher hired by the Rams). Chuck Pagano, Greg Schiano, Dennis Allen, and Joe Philbin weren't hired until it was practically February (literally the last couple days of January).

So with three coaching vacancies filled by the 11th, we're actually ahead of the curve right now. I'll be surprised (unless someone falls in love with Lovie - being that he's a former HC with a Super Bowl appearance like Fisher was) if we see many more, if any, hires until after the Conference Championship games.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  27. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    That cat peeked at the buffet and said ye-ye-yeah!!!
    • Funny Funny x 2
  28. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,574 / 42 / -25
    No fatties, please. ;)
  29. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +813 / 14 / -3
    F Whisenhunt.

He has done so well the the Cardinals. :rolleyes: