1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official 2013 coach hirings thread.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,703 / 45 / -26
    You seem to be missing the obvious........ the owner wants to win, and the team was trending downward. Therefore, a change was going to be made.

Norv knew it, and AJ knew it....... the fact that the fans were calling for it, doesn't mean it wash't inevitable. Dean is patient, but even he knew things weren't working out.
  2. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    Okay...if you believe that Norv was fired because the owner concluded that he was not a good HC
    (or even that Coach X, tbd, gave him a better chance to win, now) well, I see no evidence for that theory.

(never mind the obvious, overwhelming financial reason for the change)
  3. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,569 / 27 / -1
    Even if they had a guy in mind before the firing of Norv that's not a guarantee that they'd get said target.

If teams always got the guy they wanted before firing the current guy hires would always be made within a day or two of the former coach's dismisal. But that practically never happens. (it does sometimes, though, but that's the abnormal thing).
  4. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,703 / 45 / -26
    He wasn't a good enough coach to win under the conditions, and that's all that matters in the end. Fair, or not, it's the bottom line that matters...... both for the team's record, and the box office receipts.

Losing games + losing money = losing jobs........ simple math.
  5. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,703 / 45 / -26
    You should at the least have a short list......... the Jets and Eagles seem to be using the phone book strategy. ;)
  6. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,569 / 27 / -1
    Obviously you don't go into a HC search having absolutely no idea who you'd want to interview.
  7. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,703 / 45 / -26
    That was my point....... if you know you want a change, you should have some idea how you'd like to change.
  8. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +506 / 13 / -3
    Okay, so I'm happy with this list of coaches we have, good work so far Telesco. Now, whether it's next week, or weeks from now, I hope we choose the right person. I hope Greg Roman isn't the only one were waiting to interview, whose team is still in the playoffs. And I hope we'll wait on them if the 49ers win this weekend.

I like Jay Gruden, Mike Zimmer, Greg Roman, and Gus Bradley. I hope we can get Mike McCoy, Dirk Koetter, and Mike Nolan an interview as well.

Hoping we stay away from Bruce Arians, Ken Wisenhunt, and Lovie Smith.
  9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,554 / 44 / -6
    Norv was shortchanged by AJ and Dean had nowhere else to turn but cut both ties. If Norv lands with the Browns under Chud he'll be stirring up that AFC North big time with his offense. I'd have Norv back as the bolts OC in a heartbeat but that's just me.

My top HC guy is still Zimmer but Gus would be my second choice and wiz close behind. Chucky is falling rapidly other than for entertainment and of course the novelty of him on the sidelined making all those great faces.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,703 / 45 / -26
    I've said all along that AJ deserved much more of the blame for the team's demise. Norv did what he could with what he had, but a shrinking talent pool and terrible luck with injuries doomed his tenure.

My point was simple, like Norv or not, a change was going to come. It's a results based industry, and the team wasn't getting the job done. The axe falls on the HC, and the GM........ after all, the owner isn't going to fire himself. ;)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,554 / 44 / -6
    I'd say most folk do agree AJ was making puppies and left Norv out to dry. I'm not faulting Dean in the least bit, he had to do what had to be done.
  12. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
  13. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +260 / 4 / -2
    You think? Then Cleveland better have an outstanding OL. We found out the hard way that Norv doesn't have an answer to a good pass rush. Seven step drops, slow developing routes and draw plays up the gut on 3rd and long isn't going to get it done in Cleveland either.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,703 / 45 / -26
    They have a better O-line than us...... including a real LT. They also have a productive RB.
  15. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,703 / 45 / -26
    UPDATE 10:17 p.m. ET

: Brian Costello of the New York Post later amended his report to say that Ryan to the Rams is not a done deal but likely will get done.
    Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported that the Rams are interested in Ryan but have not yet hired him.
  16. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,282 / 12 / -5
    Or throwing it THREE CONSECUTIVE TIMES against Baltimore with ~4minutes left in the game.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings Received:
    +827 / 22 / -1
    I don't know a ton about many of the candidates, but I think I like Gus Bradley. Young, energetic, reportedly a good teacher, Seattle's D is tough and aggressive, and he'll jump player's s hit if he needs to.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings Received:
    +395 / 4 / -0
    Of course, every coach does what he can with what he has. Norv managed to blow games in the second half with what he had. To me, that was the main reason why his arse will be freezing in Cleveland soon. I'm not looking it up because it's no longer relevant, but was it about six games that he had a lead going into the second half where absolutely no offense comes out to finish the game?
    Yes, it's over now so these points are rather useless but in the end you're right, AJ and Norv were in bed together (sorry about the visual) and the pressure we fans put on Deano was overwhelming. Telesco and new guy won't feel the heat for at least six weeks into the 2013 season. :D
  19. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,061 / 30 / -0
    Of course, if we'd run 3 straight times and gained a total of 4 yards. People would have been screaming, "Throw the damn ball!!!!!!!"

That game was lost when the players on the field blew 4th and 30+. They had the right defense called for the situation, but a couple players took bad pursuit angles and let Rice make a play.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,061 / 30 / -0
    This team had such fragile confidence this year. Against the Saints, all it took was one penalty against Ingram for them to fall apart. Once they blew the 24-0 halftime lead to the Donks, what little confidence they had left was shattered. They played every game for the rest of the year like they were waiting for something bad to happen, managing to barely win games in which they clearly outplayed their opponents.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Rob Ryan: I’m on a beach, haven’t accepted Rams job
  22. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
  23. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    And us fans expected the same thing
  24. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,554 / 44 / -6
    I still maintain that was a cheap call on Ingram and you're right, the team was always anticipating the next calamity in which to implode. It was as if there were a pall surrounding the team, I do believe it was the essence of AJ that brought them down. JMHO.
  25. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
  26. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    He added more to it:

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter
    Browns HC Rob Chudzinski targeting SD's John Pagano as his defensive coordinator. KC also did, but Chargers wouldn't let him out of deal yet
    • Like Like x 1
  27. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,106 / 34 / -21
    Why would he want to take a lateral move to either team anyway? Especially the Browns.
  28. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
    If Lovie Smith lands an HC job, he'd like to bring along Stanford OC Pep Hamilton, whom @BFeldmanCBS reported as a Jets OC candidate.
  29. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    First, you have a lot to learn about Monday Mourning Quarterbacking, mister: Any play that doesn't turn
    out well was inherently, post facto wrong, and even the dimmest fan gets to feel superior to the dumb coach.

Secondly, how dare you slander the players on that field for an alleged "4th and 30+" failure.
    It was truly no more than 4th and 29. "4th and 30+" sounds defensible...
    but only the 1985 Bears (and, less likely, the '76 Steelers) defense can stop a mere 4th and 29.
  30. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings Received:
    +395 / 4 / -0