1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official 2013 coach hirings thread.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    This is what I like to hear

The Chargers will interview Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy for their head-coaching vacancy.

Expect plenty of McCoy news to trickle out this week now that the Broncos have been eliminated from the playoffs. The Bolts have been moving pretty slowly in their search for a head coach, but McCoy joins a list headlined by ex-Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt, ex-Bears head coach Lovie Smith, and Colts OC Bruce Arians.
  2. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +766 / 5 / -0
    Damn it Tom, I'm a doctor not a Head Coach! And here's your urine sample, it came back positive for Manningitis...

Drinking McCoy.jpg
  3. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
  4. CoronaDoug

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
  5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,102 / 34 / -21
    It's not like I'm exited about him but he isn't a bad coach, just bad at hiring offensive coordinators.

McCoy isn't the OC in Denver, Peyton is.

Arians will at least help Rivers, where as Wiz is just TE coach who runs a vanilla offense. I'd rather take my chances with Arians.
  6. CoronaDoug

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Looks like this will be a lesser of the evils hire.
  7. Kj1551

Kj1551 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +12 / 4 / -0
    Whiz brought back Kurt Warner's career from backing up MATT LIENART, Fitzgerald became a household name under whiz, and he he took the cards to the Super Bowl with an awful offensive line. In contrast to the aerial attack he developed in arizona, He has developed power running offenses in Pittsburgh. And there was nothing vanilla about the trick play he called to win the Super Bowl (Antwan randle el pass.) Give the man some credit, it's not his fault his GM screwed this team so badly.
  8. CoronaDoug

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. CoronaDoug

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
  10. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
  11. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    UTKevinAcee@UTKevinAcee
    So after the two deposed HCs, it's a succession of offensive coordinators to Chargers Park ... Jay Gruden, Bruce Arians and Mike McCoy.
  12. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    Michael Gehlken@UTgehlken
    Listened to Denver sports radio on drive to airport. After 2OT loss, reaction to Mike McCoy interviewing for Chargers coach job: "Take him."
  13. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    The Chargers will interview Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden for their head-coaching vacancy on Sunday.
    Gruden also has interviews set up with the Eagles on Monday and Jaguars on Tuesday. The National Football Post's Dan Pompei wrote on Sunday morning that new Chargers GM Tom Telesco is "said to hold Gruden in high regard," dating back to last year when Gruden was a top candidate for the Colts' head coach opening while Telesco was in Indy.
  14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,423 / 19 / -4
    Chargers bringing in alot of talent to interview, just like the GM search they're being very very thorough
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,680 / 44 / -26
    Again.......... why all the interest in Jay Gruden? What am I missing about this guy? :confused:
  16. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,102 / 34 / -21
    Yeah because Larry Fitzgerald would have been a bad player if it weren't for Ken Wisenhunt.:roflmao:

He also went 18-30 the last 3 years, and more concerning to me is how it looked like the Cardinals GAVE UP this year, there is no other way to put it after finishing 1-11 after a 4-0 start. He and Russ Grimm had 3 years to fix the O-line and failed. There is a reason he and every offensive coach + the GM got the axe this year, the defense improved, the offense got much worse.

He's just not for me, at least not as a HC.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,102 / 34 / -21
    No thanks. Wasn't interested before, not interested now.
  18. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    Who ever it is that the Chargers do bring in, I'm going to support. It appears they're doing their homework and really trying to find the best man for the job.

I'm not seeing any chaos like whats going on in New York. It's gotten to the point where they're trying to lay out a steak dinner surrounded by a stick, cardboard box, and a fishing string. willing to trap anyone tempted to take a nibble. At this point I would not be shocked if they brought back Mike Tannenbaum by default.

Or what ever the heck Philly is doing.
  19. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings Received:
    +110 / 4 / -0
    And where are all the posters who were saying no one wanted to be GM or HC for San Diego? Seems to be a large number of qualified HC candidates lining up.
  20. Kj1551

Kj1551 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +12 / 4 / -0
    Larry Fitzgeralds completions and touchdowns nearly doubled when Whisenhunt took over. The team started losing when their QBS started getting injured, you can say they quit on the coach, or you can say they quit on the offensive line/ Ryan Lindley.

As a personnel man, I'll admit he has left a lot to be desired. But, If you're going to credit him in personnel changes on offense give him credit for the players he brought in on defense. That said, he should have never been responsible for personnel decisions, and he wouldnt be here.

And I love how you ignore his playoff success in two different superbowl runs.

Arians hasn't shown me anything to say he's a better football coach than Whiz and while whiz isn't my first choice as coach, i do believe he'd excel here if Telescope focuses on the personnel. And we can agree to disagree if you wish.

Top five Coach List:
    Roman

Bradley/Zimmer

Gruden
    Whiz
    Smith
  21. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +428 / 2 / -1
    After seeing the playoffs, reading more on all these guys, this is my list:

1 - Zimmer (If he brings Hue Jackson with him as OC)
    2 - Roman
    3 - Bradley
    4 - Whisenhunt
    5 - McCoy
    6 - Jay Gruden
    7 - Arians
    8 - Smith
    • Like Like x 1
  22. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    He's not his brother, despite that people want to make the connection. Jay has actually shown an ability to develop talent (in Cincinnati you have no choice as with Mike Brown's skin-flintness you're rarely if ever going to see a noteworthy free agent signing). What seems, or so I've been reading, to be the plan is to bring in a HC whose capacity will be just that the HC/leader and who will let the coordinators do their things and run the units. Will he obviously have influence over who those coordinators are and what schemes/philosophies get pushed? Of course, it's his damn team. But it appears that the front office has learned from the mistakes of the past that a HC that's doubling up with play-calling duties isn't a good fit here.

This is where I wouldn't knock McCoy all that much. The guy is a thinker, but John Fox still has plenty of influence on that offense and if anything I get the feeling that McCoy would have turned Manning loose and said "audible away from the run if you feel it". Go back and look at John Fox when he was the Carolina HC, that turtle-up, conservative approach with a lead was his trademark. Meanwhile, with McCoy having much more influence last season with Tebow as the QB (because Fox was clueless how to use him), you get the Broncos coming out in OT aggressive and throwing on 1st down (with Tebow as their quarterback!) and look at that result. You want a coach that epitomizes and understands the "you adapt your scheme to fit the talent on your team best" approach, you won't find many better ones presently available than Mike McCoy.
  23. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Swap Roman for Zimmer and move McCoy up above Bradley and Wiz and you've got my list (though I've still got Winston Moss ahead of anyone not named Roman or Zimmer... and possibly even above Zimmer, though it's not like we've interview him). Realistically, I'm fine with anyone on this list but the last two.

I have some issue with Whisenhunt because he still follows that Chuck Noll philosophy of not giving significant playing time to rookies unless forced to (usually by injury), which doesn't bode well for our OL, but who knows... maybe he's learned from his mistakes.
  24. Kj1551

Kj1551 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +12 / 4 / -0
    Just another name to throw out there, How do you feel about Del Rio?
    • Funny Funny x 2
  25. CoronaDoug

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    It may be a bad idea to get an OC head coach just because his offense was good. That is unless the head coach is calling the plays. I do not like this idea though (see Norv).
    We just need a HC to motivate and manage the game. We need a strong experienced play caller as OC.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,102 / 34 / -21
    What is it with you and and Wisenhunt hard on? Are you a Steelers fan? A Cardinals fan? What nerve did I touch here?

I didn't ignore jack ****, I give him as much credit for what happened while Warner was there as I do for what happened after Warner left. The problem is the way he handled Kevin Kolb and the offensive line, it does not inspire me to believe he can fix what is wrong with Philip Rivers and our O-line. And of course the 1-11 finish. Sorry I don't pack wood for this guy like you do.
  27. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,102 / 34 / -21
    I feel nothing. Its a very "blah" hire.
  28. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,102 / 34 / -21
    I don't understand the McCoy love at all. What has he done to deserve a HC interview other than watch Peyton Manning change his plays at the LOS?
  29. CoronaDoug

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    I haven't heard much about Russ Grimm. I thought he might get an interview somewhere.
  30. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    What had Mike McCarthy done prior to getting the HC job in Green Bay aside from watch Alex Smith lead his offense to dead last in points-scored in the league, and run a middling Aaron Brooks-headed offense for 4 years in New Orleans? I trust the opinions of other coaches and of guys in the industry when they say that a guy is highly intelligent and has a brilliant mind for coaching. You seem to forget that McCoy managed to get career numbers (and pretty darn respectable when held up against the rest of the league as well) out of Kyle "Average as they come" Orton too.

Some guys are good coordinators but bad HC's (the case could be made for Norv, but certainly McDaniels - until he proves otherwise, Jauron, Gilbride, Haley, Wade...), and some guys are okay coordinators but turn out to be very good HC's (McCarthy, Payton, Mike Smith).