1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official 2013 coach hirings thread.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan, Jan 1, 2013.

1. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    He doesn't exactly have a fantastic body of work to stand on right now (the Arizona OL is arguably the only one worse than ours this year - I won't count Philly's because Philly's was decimated by injuries and they actually have decent-to-good starters when healthy).
  2. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Better coordinator than HC. He was a guy undone by his own stubbornness in Jacksonville as well as his insistence on playing (literally) favorites.
  3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,140 / 36 / -21
    So who do we thank for turning Kyle Orton into an above average QB for 2 years? McDaniels or McCoy? I guess it comes down to whomever suits your argument at the time.:whistling: I guess Orton starting the 2011 season 1-4 and looking completely lost out there without McDaniels was telling enough for me.

He may very well be a better HC than an OC, but thats not for me or you to determine. I'm just saying its mighty convenient that Peyton Manning comes to town and now we're paying attention to this guy.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,759 / 47 / -26
    Interesting that they're pushing Arians back.....

UTKevinAcee@UTKevinAcee
    Chargers move Brice Arians to Wednesday. Unexpectedly, Denver OC Mike McCoy unexpectedly available for interview. He's in tomorrow.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +185 / 2 / -1
    I've floated the name out a couple times and it's gotten zero traction here. (JDR's rise and fall story is not too much different than Fox's). IMHO it should be a remote consideration if for no other reason than raiding your top competitor's staff. But last time I looked a my paycheck it wasn't signed by Spanos.
  6. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
  7. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +452 / 2 / -1
    So this is the schedule and completed interviews so far:

Thursday 1/10 - Gus Bradley
    Friday 1/11 - Lovie Smith
    Saturday 1/12 - Ken Whisenhunt
    Sunday 1/13 - Jay Gruden
    Monday 1/14 - Mike McCoy
    Tuesday 1/15 - Open (Hope for Zimmer)
    Wednesday 1/16 - Bruce Arians
    Thursday 1/17 - Open (Any chance for Roman???)
    Friday 1/18 - Day Spanos hoped to have a decision but said it could take longer.

Not a lot of space for extras, if this is the final list, who do we want?

I gotta hope Zimmer gets officially scheduled, he's my hope.
  8. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    Still gotta say McCoy gets my nod, Gus Bradley a close second

who ever we hire, 2 candidates I'd like for OC are Ken Whisenhunt and Hue Jackson
  9. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,759 / 47 / -26
    • Like Like x 1
  10. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +130 / 19 / -5

I don't know he looks like a great coordinator type coach. Plus I have a feeling he'd have a hard time buliding a good offense without a good OC to boot. Plus all these coordinators have a hard time admitting flaut on their specialites. I don't think I ever recall Norv saying he simply got outcoached or he had a bad day. Just that the players did this wrong and the oppoenet did this right. I just hope the next HC will take accountability seriously. Outside of that I think he'd be a good coach and way better motivator than Norv.

Still I want Chuckie more than any other coach out there. I think we'd be a SB favorite in a few years with him.
  11. MadMike

Ratings Received:
    +452 / 2 / -1
    If we get Zimmer he will most likely bring Hue Jackson with him, there is your great OC.
  12. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,759 / 47 / -26
    One thing Telesco mentioned was that the HC had to be a good teacher...... not just of his players, but also of his assistants.

I remember Norv saying that one problem he had when he first got here, was the staff was already in place for the most part, so he had to spend a lot of time teaching his system to his assistants. That's a big reason why you should let the HC pick his own staff The HC should have people he's are comfortable with, and can mesh with his way of doing things.
  13. JohnnyX

Ratings Received:
    +130 / 19 / -5
    Is that the guy who was the Raider Coach? I'm still effy about them and I don't know if they'll build a team to fit our players. Plus I think the days of running and grinding out wins day in and out are over. We need a brilliant OC who can score and score thats why I like the Saints OC Pete Carmichael and what he can bring to Rivers.

If we keep Pagano I think our D will be fine and will actually get better do to stability and actually keeping a DC for more than one season.

It'll be interesting to see where Telsco goes with that approach.
  14. Kj1551

Kj1551 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +12 / 4 / -0
    Not in love with him as I mentioned. Just saying he'd be better than you were giving him credit for
  15. MadMike

Ratings Received:
    +452 / 2 / -1
    One of the reasons i'm behind Zimmer as HC. Everything I hear and read about this guy is he's an amazing teacher. And if he brings Hue, Hue has been a WR coach, a RB coach, a QB coach, and an OC. His players have all universally loved this guy and have routinely played their best football for him (See Jason Campbell).
  16. Kj1551

Kj1551 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +12 / 4 / -0
    I didnt think he was bad in Oakland. I have several friends who are Raider fans who were upset to see him go. I'm all for a Zimmer/Jackson era.
  17. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Hue's issue in Oakland was/is that he's a bit power-hungry. If he is brought in as our OC and we see any kind of legitimate success he's going to be a guy actively seeking HC interviews and likely jumps at the first job offered to him. Now I'm not saying he can't be a good necessary evil - i.e. as has been said, he's a great teacher and I honestly feel if anyone can re-tool Rivers' sloppier tendencies of late the most efficiently, Hue's the guy - but I don't know that he can be counted on as a long-term (or much more than a 1-2 year) solution at the spot. Worth noting - TJ Houshmanzadeh said that Hue was the best WR coach he ever had - and both Housh and Chad Johnson were 1000 yard receivers when Hue was the Bengals' WR coach.

I wouldn't completely rule out Carmichael as a OC option depending on the coaching hire. Both he and Saints OL/Running Game coach Aaron Kromer are out of contract right now, so unless the Saints ink them up again soon they're free to sign wherever they want (though I imagine the potential for a bidding war with Tom Benson would likely drive Dean off).

Honestly, I think what scares me the most about Arians is who I anticipate would be his OC. There's one guy that's followed him from Pittsburgh to Indy and there is typically a pretty tight relationship between OC's and their respective Quality Control guys. And my concern is that that guy for Arians is the current Colts OL coach (Harold Goodwin) - and just last week Paul Kruger went HAM on Indy because the guys trying to block him went all Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm-Flailing Tube-Man (otherwise known as "The Jeromey Clary").
  18. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,759 / 47 / -26
    After Hue's meltdown in Oakland, I don't think anyone would be in a hurry to offer him another HC job.

I may be wrong, but his Al Haig impersonation had to scare off a few owners. ;)
  19. JohnnyX

Ratings Received:
    +130 / 19 / -5
    Didn't the Raiders have one of the most penalized teams in NFL history? That's the exact opposite of what we need.
  20. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,759 / 47 / -26
    The Raiders have always been one of the most penalized teams in the NFL...... it's part of their culture. They led the league for 4 consecutive years (a record), 1993-1996. It's not a new thing.
  21. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    So far, of guys we've hired I hope it looks something like this,

1. Gus Bradley 2. Jay Gruden 3. Ken Whisenhunt 4. Lovie Smith,

I really want to see how they respond to McCoy tomorrow and then you have Arians coming in on Wednesday. I don't think Dean waits until after the Super Bowl to interview Roman, because I believe the 49ers are making it there, and the fact that there will be only 1 coach that interests them of the 4 teams left. And what worries me is, Arians' interview was pushed back to Wednesday, like he's hired already or something. There just saving the best for last kind of thing. I hope Arians doesn't impress Dean, John and the Wolfmeister.
  22. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    Im hoping because AZ, Chi and Phi are bringing McCoy back for 2nd interviews, Telesco snuck him in to get first crack before one of them scoop him up
  23. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,759 / 47 / -26
    What's the difference?........ they all suck. ;)

Fire ______ Now!!!
  24. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Helped by the fact that when Al drafted according to 40 time and Mel Kiper's Wish List (Mel Kiper... Michael Lombardi... same-same) he didn't exactly put a ton of stock in interviews (or intelligence) so long as the guys kissed the ring (so to speak). He hit on a few here and there with high character guys (Asomugha, Woodson, Kirk Morrison), but he also brought in some of the worst work ethic, character, and me-first attitudes in the game (Tommy Kelly, Rolando McClain, JaWalrus, Gallery, Huff, etc.). Ironically, look at the two lists and then look at the guys ultimately retained by the team under Al and those not...
  25. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Mike McCoy to interview with Chargers today

Posted by Darin Gantt on January 14, 2013, 7:42 AM EST

Getty Images
    If his boss was a little bolder, there’s a strong chance Mike McCoy would be busy today game-planning for the AFC Championship Game.

But after losing to the Ravens Saturday, McCoy’s offseason plans are wide open, and he’s filling them.

According to Mike Klis of the Denver Post, McCoy will interview with the Chargers today, the fourth team he’s interviewed with.

McCoy talked to the Bears, Cardinals and Eagles during his bye week.

While it’s easy to point to McCoy for the Broncos’ late-game conservatism, that was straight out of the John Fox manual. The Broncos head coach is famous for sayings such as “a punt is not a bad play,” and was doubtless the overriding voice on decisions such as running on a third-and-7 with time waning in regulation, or taking a knee with 31 seconds and two timeouts. Fox has played things conservatively, and by the book, as long as he’s been a head coach.

McCoy’s going to have a chance to explain that to others, and whether he’d do it differently, beginning with the Chargers today.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

26. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    I would be fine with either McCoy or Arians. Not a fan of Wizzer or Lovie.
  27. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings Received:
    +886 / 0 / -0
    Pretty sure Roman can interview following Sundays game... Because of the two week gap prior to the SB.
  28. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    Ok refresh... No reboot my memory. Who is Roman, and does that mean he wants to take over Eurpoe, Eurasia and Northern Africa?
  29. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I also hope they hire someone who will hire a coordinator on both sides of the ball who will do the play calling. I really don't want a HC who is doubling as a coordinator
  30. Kj1551

Kj1551 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +12 / 4 / -0
    Haha San Francisco's OC