1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official 2013 coach hirings thread.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan, Jan 1, 2013.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814 / 14 / -3
  2. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter
    So Cleveland is restarting its HC search while Chip Kelly must decide whether to go to Philadelphia or remain at Oregon.

3. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814 / 14 / -3
  4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,484 / 19 / -4
    Philadelphia is looking beyond Chip Kelly

My top selection right now
    HC: Lovie Smith
    DC: John Pagano
    OC: Ken Wisenhunt

5. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Unless you want to switch to a Tampa/Cover-2 4-3 defense, you don't want Lovie Smith. The guy is on record as loathing the 3-4 and won't adapt his defense, he simply won't.

6. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    You mean the same old timer that served in the same capacity for the Raiders last season which led to them hiring one of the more coveted GM candidates on the market and a young, innovative defensive coordinator as their HC? That "out of touch" guy, right? Just making sure we're clear.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,484 / 19 / -4
    Last couple of reports I've heard said he were willing to use the 3-4 if that's what the defense has the parts for. He'd be a fool and I doubt the GM would go along with the idea of changing the system when we have the parts for the 3-4

8. Kj1551

Kj1551 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12 / 4 / -0
    I don't understand why Whisenhunt isn't getting more love here. Remember how he came in and revitalized Warner's career? Warner was backing up Matt Lienart...then the next year they were second in the NFL in offense (not sure how much credit to give Todd Haley here) Plus he brings that hard nose discipline from being a part of the steelers franchise, and Cowher/Tomlin tree. This guy could do wonders with Pip.

EDIT: oh, and he did this with a terrible o-line. He shouldn't be blamed because his GM screwed him

9. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +2,893 / 48 / -26
    Don't get that...... Lovie is a terrible fit.

He's a 4-3 guy, and the reason he got fired was because he could never fix the offense (find the right OC, or fix the terrible O-line). He'd be the wrong guy to bring in to fit what we do on defense, or fix our problems on offense.

10. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,599 / 48 / -6
    I guess the word "may" means nothing to you?. The bolt's have always been best served staying away from anything or anyone involved with the raiders.

11. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,234 / 38 / -21
  12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,893 / 48 / -26
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,234 / 38 / -21
    I'm very disappointed we're not even going to look at Chip Kelly. I'm not totally sold on the guy, but he deserves an interview, and its a bad sign that we're just writing guys like that off because he's coming from the college ranks.

14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I am not sure that we are just writing him off. We don't haev a GM yet and the team has clearly stated that they will not look at any HC's until they have a GM. I am a little annoyed that they don't have a GM yet though. AJ should have been fired with 2-3 weeks left in the season and the search and interviews should have started then

15. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,893 / 48 / -26
    It could be that he's just not a good fit for an immobile QB like Rivers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Jason La Canfora@JasonLaCanfora
    Everything I continue to hear leads me to continue to believe that Chip Kelly is staying at Oregon, which was always a very real possibility

17. Okie

Okie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +76 / 3 / -0
    By the time we get a GM, most of the coaching changes will probably be made by other teams. This means we either grab sloppy seconds, or go to the college ranks. If we decide not to go with Holmgren (who I think has a few years left in him), then I still think we should look at Kevin Sumlin. Not because Johnny Football makes him look good, his success goes further back. At Oklahoma, he properly utilized TE's, something Lovie Smith never did. His offenses have set NCAA records. He turned should-be-D2 Houston into a top 15 team. He outcoached (and definitely outclasses) Saban... in Bama. Something almost unheard of in the last two years. His players perform for him. He has a no nonsense approach to strength and conditioning, something this team woefully needs. Unlike Norv, he doesn't try to outsmart the opponent, he finds what works and makes you stop it. Best of all, he has swagger.

Yeah, he's a college coach, and all this doesn't mean he'd be as successful in the pros. But I still think he has "it" and is at least deserving of an interview.

18. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Holmgren? :poop: Are you kidding? By the time we get a new GM, there will be several assistants from playoff teams that will be available to interview. We are just fine.

By the way, how can you claim that we will get nothing but sloppy seconds when only 2 HC's have been hired, one is a questionable college guy, the other is a retread that we shouldn't even have considered

19. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,599 / 48 / -6
    I'm just a bit too anxious for the GM hire hoping it will gives us a clue to the new direction the team will be going. Butler was a good hire, unfortunately life had different plans and the bolt's ended up with AJ.

20. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,893 / 48 / -26
    It'll be Jimmy Raye........ a little bird told me. ;)

21. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,893 / 48 / -26
    UTKevinAcee@UTKevinAcee
    Chargers have two more GM interviews scheduled, but it seems those might not happen. All but certain it's Jimmy Raye or Tom Telesco.

22. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Not that I am against Raye, but if it is him, then I will be pissed that they wasted a month, when they should have fired AJ with 2-3 weeks left in the season once we were mathematically out of it, and just promoted Raye then. Then they could have spent the last month planning for and interviewing candidates for the HC spot

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    That would be a shock if it were Raye. ;) :roflmao:

24. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    One side of me hopes it's Raye because he's familiar with the players already, he knows what we need to do to improve, and knows who's been holding us back.

25. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,893 / 48 / -26
    I'm not afraid to go out on a limb with my predictions. ;)

26. Okie

Okie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +76 / 3 / -0
    Those assistants are already being looked at by other teams, and those teams have already requested permission and set up interviews. The Chargers haven't even sent a single letter yet. They apparently intend to request permission to talk to Arians, but that will have to wait until he's out of the hospital now.

And apparently the team feels they are off to a slow start. They met with Marrone last night, without having hired a GM, only to find out he was taking the Buffalo job. So when I see names like Lovie Smith, Jim Mora, and Josh McDumbass being on our radar, I would absolutely call them sloppy seconds.

As far as Holmgren goes, he's the best coach available with a SB win. Don't start with Gruden, not unless you want to see Rivers without a spleen. AJ could learn how to better alienate players from Gruden. Holmgren was a damned good coach, but terrible at personnel decisions. So keep him restricted to input on players instead of in charge. After Cleveland, I think he was happy to burn that hat. We could get a couple good years out of him while he grooms his replacement.

27. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,234 / 38 / -21
    McDumbass is staying in N.E.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jay Gruden is on the list, as well as Kyle Shanarat, they seem focused on offensive guys....with exception of Mora who is just random trash.

I'm not as opposed to Holmgren as most, in 17 years he's only had 3 losing seasons...basically the antitheses of Norv. But it seems like a short term answer as he's already 65 years old.

28. Okie

Okie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +76 / 3 / -0
    I'd rather see someone with HC experience, especially since there have been so many coordinaters who have absolutely flopped under the HC hat lately. That is why I'm interested in Holmgren. His age does concern me, but he is a proven HC.

29. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    FWIW, Acee is insistent that Holmgren doesn't fit Dean's desire to not hire "a retread" (by KA's explicit definition someone who has been an HC in multiple locations over the past decade-or-so), neither would Mora. He also reiterated that "interest" doesn't necessarily indicate "preference".

30. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,234 / 38 / -21
    I'm sorry what?!?! Is KA saying that Jim Mora....a guy who has been fired twice in the NFL...is not a retread?

Holmgren and Mora don't belong in the same stratosphere, much less the same KA tweet.