1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official 2014 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, May 8, 2014.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,778 / 47 / -26
    [​IMG]
    • Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +261 / 17 / -2
    Shiite! I had fallen sleep, but glad to note that the Maestro was diligently awake :tup:
  3. Razma

Razma Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I've got faith in Telescope :bolt2:
  4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,448 / 19 / -4
    it's finally here, and I'm so glad.
    Seriously I love the draft but even I couldn't take another week of this. And please NFL don't you bleeping dare move the draft further back.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. JAMMER

JAMMER BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +154 / 3 / -1
    Telesco... Indy ties... Feeling Louis NIX from ND if on the board

I am Very OK with Massive Oline from Alabama
  6. JAMMER

JAMMER BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +154 / 3 / -1
    NIX would have been top 10 last yr... had he come out...
  7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,577 / 44 / -6
    I'll take door number three Monty.
  8. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +414 / 7 / -1
    I want O line or corner tonight.
  9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,448 / 19 / -4
    As would Kyle Van Noy
  10. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +261 / 17 / -2
    Michael Sams would have probably been a 3rd rounder, had he NOT come out ;)
  11. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,448 / 19 / -4
    Thing I'm most NOT looking forward to is the WAILING of idiots who either don't watch football or think only with their politics writing that the NFL is homophobic because they wouldn't either draft Sam or draft Sam in like the first round. And godforbid a team signs him as a UDFA and cuts him.....
  12. Chargefwd

Chargefwd BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Amen to that Brotha! Lets get it going already!
  13. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +320 / 1 / -0
    CB (Not named Bradley Roby), BPA pass rusher, or trade down till tomorrow for me.
  14. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +714 / 17 / -3
  15. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,778 / 47 / -26
    So, we draft a midget?......... not impressed with that pick. We get the 5th best corner with our first pick? That's not what I'd call going BPA.
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
  16. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +714 / 17 / -3
    Except in some peoples minds he's their number 1 rated CB, the only knock you ever hear about the kid is his height. If he were 1 or 2 inches taller he'd easily be the number 1 CB in this draft.

Telesco has a track record for drafting really good players who may have slipped due to their lack of size,

Freeney, Mathis, T. Jennings, Te'o, Hilton, to name a few
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,778 / 47 / -26
    Sure, he's got skills, but the WRs are only getting bigger. His only knock is still a significant one. A 6'3"+ receiver can just out jump (and outmuscle) a CB of that size. Just throw to the back corner of the end zone for an easy score.

An "undersized" pass rusher (like Freeney) is not such a big issue. In fact, getting under a lineman is a good way to get by him. Big lineman have a tough time bending low enough to deal with a quicker shorter man. It works the opposite way for CBs and WRs. We know how it's been for years with Floyd...... just go up over the top.
  18. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21
    I can live with this potential downside. It's not like Verrett can't get up there himself, and it's not like there is another CB who has had or will have have more success against the sub-6'3 guys.

Part of drafting 25th, you never get the absolute perfect prospect.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +261 / 17 / -2
    I was being a bit facetious because the correct term would be, "declaring (as in eligible) for the Draft" as opposed to "coming out" which these days is used for another meaning and purpose ;)

And yes, you will be pulling your hair out over this because I think that Michael Sams will be either a late rounder or will go as UDFA altogether. The kid did hurt himself by quite a bit by "coming out" for the draft, but as an NFL OLB'er, he is undersized and the parts of the media with an agenda, will not dwell much on those facts.

As for being cut if goes UNFA; well, at least hopefully he'll have his chances to prove his football prowess to whichever team that drafts him. He does deserve that chance.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,069 / 30 / -0
    This is one of the stupider bits of "common wisdom" being discussed this draft season, that small CBs are a thing of the past. I'm sure that Seattle's success with larger corners has caused this little nugget to be repeated more often than it usually would. But there's a lot more to playing CB and defending fade routes than height. Verrett's size is similar to some top NFL CBs, such as Joe Haden, Alterraun Verner, Darrelle Revis and Brent Grimes. All of those CBs are only an inch or two taller than Verrett. Is an inch or two really the difference between Revis being a top shutdown corner and repeatedly losing out on jump balls in the end zone?

I'd be concerned with drafting a smaller CB who was not a physical player, but a phrase you often hear associated with Verrett is "plays bigger than his size," so that does not seem to be an issue. The one and only legitimate issue with Verrett is whether or not he's durable enough to withstand the rigors of the NFL.

I think that, if anything, the Seahawks success will cause smaller CBs to be undervalued. So Verrett could be a good value pick.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  21. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +714 / 17 / -3
    I agree I do certainly have concerns of hims covering guys like , Thomas, Bowe, and potentially Mike Evans (if the Raiders take him) but there are other ways to disrupt the pass, Raking the arms, taking away their concentration, getting to the highest point before the WR, jumping the route.

Obviously the QB may try to throw it over Verrett, but No QB will completely try to over throw it for the fact that Weddle or Addae may be behind the WR waiting for that to happen.
  22. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +714 / 17 / -3
    UTKevinAcee ‏@UTKevinAcee 3m
    Hearing about Chargers interest in Kony Ealy, pass rusher. Can't be mad at that if top CBs gone at 25...Really like if was due to trade back
  23. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,069 / 30 / -0
    Exactly. The "perfect prospects" that combine ideal height, weight, speed and athleticism with exceptional on-field performance and a good attitude are usually gone by the 10th pick or sooner. But for some reason, the NFL has not seen fit to cancel the rest of the draft. If anything, past performance of top prospects suggests that teams put too high of a value on measurables. In addition to his knee problem, Keenan Allen was undervalued by teams because he does not possess the ideal speed to be a No. 1 receiver in the NFL. But that didn't stop him from producing like one.

Corners have to be great athletes. They have good speed, fluid hips and decent ball skills. They don't have to be 6'1.

The key to building a good team is figuring out which college prospects can excel in the NFL despite their perceived limitations.

I found one comment Telesco made recently rather telling. He said that you'd struggle to build a good secondary if you sat around waiting for another Richard Sherman to come out of college. Sherman has rare skills. It's not too big of a leap to see Telesco repeating that comment at the press conference introducing Jason Verrett.

Who knows what the Bolts think of Verrett. But if he is available at 25 and is not their pick, I seriously doubt it will be because he's 5'9.
  24. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,448 / 19 / -4
    He's a fringe first rounder with limited production and some actual skills. He's also too big & slow to be a 3-4 OLB, too small for 3-4 DE
    • Agree Agree x 2
  25. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +320 / 1 / -0
    This. Another guy that won't be a Charger IMO.. I call smoke screen.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +714 / 17 / -3
    Which is partly why I think he has Chargers written all over him, I don't think the Chargers are married to the 3-4 (they traditionally mix it up showing more of a 4-3 under or nickel & dime package most of the time)

Adding a player that can play over a player that can scheme fit is more of their direction, Last year they said they would scheme fit to Freeney rather than having him try to fit their scheme, I believe they'll stick to that direction if they do actually really like Ealy.

Personally I don't ideally love or hate that pick if they do go that route, I will be excited he's a Charger it they do go there
  27. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +714 / 17 / -3
    UTKevinAcee ‏@UTKevinAcee 7m
    Chargers' "interest" in pass rushers w/ 1st-2nd rd grades is due diligence. CB is #1 priority/preference. Also "interested" in top guards.
  28. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,778 / 47 / -26
    I'm all for a physical corner, we've all seen what a soft one looks like, but will Pagano actually allow a guy to play that way in his scheme? We've seen a ton of giant cushions out there the last few years. Will that change if we draft Verrett?
  29. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +714 / 17 / -3
    Only one way to really know for certain good sir.
  30. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +261 / 17 / -2
    That line of thinking was certifiably a disastrous one if it had been applied to Cox ;)