1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official 2014 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, May 8, 2014.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,771 / 47 / -26
    • Like Like x 2
  2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,157 / 37 / -21
    I thought it was very good all around, the only pick that threw me was Marion Grice in the 6th.

He has positive traits to make the team, but I fear he's just another Gartrell Johnson, Marcus Smith, Jordan Todman type player whos going to end up getting put on the practice squad and stolen away. I don't see how he contributes much at all to our 2014 effort with Mathews, Woodhead and Brown leading the way. Maybe he makes the roster in what WOULD have been McLain's FB spot....but then who else are we taking that roster spot from?It was a pick that could have waited until next year IMO.

Other than that, A or A- for me. I think we got at least 3 long term starters in the first 3 rounds, we'll see about Carrethers, and I loved the Tevin Reese pick.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +255 / 17 / -2
    Let's shut this now obsolete thread down :sleep:

I'm onto starting my Mock 2015 draft chart early... Let's say in about 5 minutes or so :roflmao:
  4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    I wouldn't be surprised if they try him out at WR TBH
    To me he has that Randall Cobb type frame
  5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,157 / 37 / -21
    Actually if you're looking for the next potential Wes Welker, take a look at Brelan Chancellor, the UDFA we just signed.

5'9, 188, runs and moves very deliberately and hard a lot like Welker.

Analysis
    Strengths
    Has big hands. Very good balance and body control. Runs strong with good body lean. Compact and controlled. Can contort his body in the air and make difficult catches. Has a 41-inch vertical jump. Outstanding agility, burst and short-area quickness. Slippery in the open field -- has a knack for avoiding direct contact and spinning off tacklers. Knows how to set up blocks. Tough and highly competitive. Good vision, awareness and traffic burst in the return game. Very good overall production.
    Weaknesses
    Very short with short arms and a small catching radius. Could struggle beating press coverage on the outside. Long-term durability could be a concern.
    Draft Projection
    Round 7-Priority free agent
    Bottom Line
    A creative return man and crafty slot receiver with production that far exceeds his measurables, Chancellor has overcome the odds throughout his career and could carve a niche returning punts and beating zones from the slot. Has the makeup to earn a job and exceed expectations. Impressive pro-day showing could allow him to be drafted late. A make-it player.

All I know about him comes from this report and a couple youtube videos, but I like what I see.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,068 / 30 / -0
    Some of you whiny little armchair GMs are hilarious. You are whining because a 7th round draft pick might see the field as a kick returner and develop into a slot receiver in a year or two? You expect every 7th round WR to have the potential to develop into Megatron? Get real. Reese is the kind of role player that good teams get in the later rounds.
  7. boltssbbound

Ratings Received:
    +1,068 / 30 / -0
    FIFY
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. boltssbbound

Ratings Received:
    +1,068 / 30 / -0
    Yes, because we've never ever seen a draft pick cry or kiss a loved one on TV before. Ever.
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,575 / 44 / -6
    Should be an enjoyable training camp to follow this year. With all these new pieces coming in along with the vet's already in place I'd love to see a tough as nails defense emerge to help the offense out.
  10. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +120 / 4 / -1
    DEAR JESUS....this guy is TOUGH. Watched only him vs UNLV, but the guy just does not let the first guy get him to the ground, and usuall it takes a group of 3-4 to do so. Watch this move tho :alien:.....
    • Like Like x 1
  11. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,157 / 37 / -21
    Yeah it's a long way from just being a quick/tough runner to actually running routes like Welker, but I can definitely see the potential there. He's going to push Reese and Ajirotutu for that 5th WR spot, and may actually have the advantage depending on Reese's KR/PR ability.
  12. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Lol. Good one. Anyways I'm just concerned with his size when it comes to being hit in the NFL. Hes obviously has the upside and speed to be a vertical threat. Which is what we want. That previous post was my first gut reaction, I'm much higher on the pick now when considering his upside.

The only pick I really dont like is Grice in the 6th. We need depth everywhere else BUT RB(and QB). Really the only two positions I didnt want to see drafted were QB and RB. I hope its the BPA philosophy let led to Grice being selected and he really is that good.
    Last edited: May 11, 2014
  13. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    I think I'm the only one here that actually likes the Grice pick. I didn't at first, but that's only because I was having tunnel vision on a WR at the time (and one I was apparently over-valuing) and just saw "RB" next to his name.

He's a dual threat RB in the same ilk as Danny Woodhead and Darren Sproles. If he can develop that talent then it's definitely good depth to have, especially since there's no guarantee Woodhead is here past next year.
  14. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +157 / 2 / -0
    One thing I like about Grice is although he has that woodhead sproles sort of skill set he measured in at just over 6 foot and close to 210 lbs. I wonder if hes gonna get a look at wr in camp
  15. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +255 / 17 / -2
    With all these incoming freshmen class, before we start critiquing and questioning the draft picks, we will have to look at the bigger picture and assess as to whom can actually make the team and its practice squad to replace those veterans who are considered as being on the bubble.

As for the RB position, Grice may be considered a luxury but with both an injury prone Ryan Matthews and a sought after Danny Woodhead being UFAs next season, the team didn't want to be in a precarious position with regards to the RB position going into the 2015 season.

If lucky, we may get a gem or two from the 2014 UDFA class who can become contributors later on this season or next. Other wise with the exception of Verrett, I expect the other draft picks to become rotational players in their respective roster positions, till they pick up the required NFL savviness in order to become actual starters. Other than Verret, there's a chance that Reeces-Pieces may become our KR starter.
  16. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    I have a feeling that Grice could be one of the Denver type backs that excels and surprises in a ZB scheme. I also have a feeling that last years line, did a good job, but they aren't yet composed of the ideals players to make the scheme work as coach D really wants it to.

The one sad thing is Hardwick. I think he's a perfect OC for this blocking system, so much better suited than the power stuff we use to run it's crazy. Of course, now he's at the end of his line.
  17. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    I disagree man. I think Attachou will have a pretty big impact his first year. I'm predicting 8 sacks. Also I see Freeney sitting out a couple games. Attachou could easily start 8 games.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +255 / 17 / -2
    Here's is what I had shad:

"...Otherwise with the exception of Verrett, I expect the other draft picks to become rotational players in their respective roster positions, till they pick up the required NFL savviness in order to become actual starters..."

I didn't say that any of them would not become a major contributor, but in the same breath I don't think that Attaochu would become a starter at the beginning of the season. It may take him into the midseason to assume the starting role, be it because of injuries to Freeney or just Freeney's age catching up!
  19. boltssbbound

Ratings Received:
    +1,068 / 30 / -0
    Holliday was one of the top returners in the league last year for the Donks and he's only 5'5. We have not had a dangerous returner for some time. If Resse can become a top returner in the league, I think that alone would more than justify the pick. But with his speed and the production he showed in college. I think he has a chance to develop into a productive receiver. He's the kind of weapon a good coach can figure out how to use to great effect.
  20. boltssbbound

Ratings Received:
    +1,068 / 30 / -0
    I'm sure they must have really liked Grice, but they might also be looking to the future and see that Mathews and Woodhead are both scheduled to become free agents next year. Grice seems to be a good pass-catcher out of the backfield and Brown is a solid performer. Both of them provide insurance against losing Woodhead or Mathews to free agency, and against either of them getting injured.
  21. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +120 / 4 / -1
    Something interesting I took from the day 2 presser with McCoy and TT, when they were as.ked if Watt could play C eventually McCoy said something along the lines of "Joe D thinks everyone can snap". Makes sense to try everyone at C as its one of the most important positions, just to see who's the best fit to back it up. TT added that he thinks Watt has the smarts and initial quickness to play C.

I think ideally, he's the solution at LG for a long, long time. As i've said before, i think that Joe D can take whoever he wants in the draft, and whoever he chooses will be a solid player, if not a very good one. He's had a LOT of success with 3rd round OG's spanning back to his days as an assistant OL coach in KC, with Asamoah, to Levitre, and signing a 3rd round pick from the steelers in Urbik. Watt's a guy who isn't going to wow you with anything, but he does his job and gets his man blocked. Awareness, as you would expect it to be, is incredibly high, he's a really smart guy who diagnoses things really quickly, and has enough agility and special awareness to block at the second level without any problems. A couple things i noticed with him, is that the initial quickness with him is very inconsistent, and his hand placement can be really bad, at times he gets chicken winged, short armed and the hands shoot outside the chest plate. Because he flashes the initial quickness, i really think that both of these problems are as coachable as others. The only other thing that i think he can improve on is leverage, which is fine, but could be better.
  22. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    I read that Watt made the line calls for ND at guard, so that's HUGE. Now they just have to have him practice his snap and exchange and shotgun snap 6 million times before next season.
  23. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,771 / 47 / -26
    Just another reason why I think he'll be groomed as Hardwick's replacement. Everything I read about the guy says center, despite the fact he played guard in college.
  24. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    I agree, I just don't like that he hasn't already played it some so that the snap/exchange action would be more second nature. Then there's the shotgun snap and we use it a lot. He likely has a whole year to make the transition if they intend to do it, so maybe it's not a big deal. Or maybe it is, I don't know. I have no doubt the kid can play OC outside of that.
  25. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Fair enough. I just dont think labelling Attachou as a "rotational player" is fair and doesn't do justice to the immediate impact he'll have week 1. This guy is gonna produce.
  26. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,771 / 47 / -26
    Plenty of players have changed positions without issue......... Dielman was a D-lineman originally. Learning to snap the ball shouldn't be that big a deal. The guy obviously has the smarts to be a center, and his size is better suited to the middle. It only makes sense to draft a guy now and give him a year to learn behind Hardwick. Then, if he does decide to hang it up, we're prepared to move on.
  27. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,771 / 47 / -26
    All our OLBs are "rotational" players...... the whole point is to keep them fresh, so they can continue to get pressure. A tired rusher is ineffective.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  28. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,157 / 37 / -21
    I agree, I'm not sure it is easy to just go from G to C without having played it before. Which is why I bet Watt will stay at guard (learn to play C in a pinch) and we'll most likely draft a true center next year.

And lets not forget Hardwick has not declared his retirement. I sense the culmination of our "roster transition" peaking in 2015, he may decide to stick around for another year.
  29. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    If your only concern is that it may take him a year to learn how to snap well when Hardwick and Ohrnberger will be there for at least that year in question then I'm not sure I understand why that's a concern.
  30. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +120 / 4 / -1
    I think we have to think of him as a "project player" rather than a rotational player. I prefer the term situational pass rusher. But he's going to have a role this year, but he wont start over Ingram/JJ/Freeney when their all healthy.