1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official 2014 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, May 8, 2014.

1. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +120 / 4 / -1
    Eh, i'm just not convinced. His Initial quickness has to show to be more consistent to be a C, as every once in a while, half the DL will be off the ball before him. I'll stand strong in my opinion that he's a mainstay as a LG, for years to come, possibly RG if he adds some bulk in his lower body.

And i dont see what you mean by his size is better suited in the middle...at 310+, he's got prototypical OG size.
  2. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +120 / 4 / -1
    Snapping is a natural thing...there's guys that just dont ever get it and cant do it and block well for whatever reason. A lot of guys really struggle snapping with a NT strait on him and get preoccupied with getting out of their stances and ready to block too quickly and have some bad snaps.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    That's all true as well. So maybe he's spends a year in the system and plays RG next year. With Joe D's emphasis on versatility. He's going to be trained at both positions anyway.

Marcus Martin would have been nice though.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,753 / 47 / -26
    He's not that tall is what I meant. Not short, but many guards are bigger than him. My main thing is that it's obvious that he's both very bright (4.3 GPA), has a wrestling background (like Hardwick), and was already calling the line adjustments in college. That sounds more like a center prospect, than a guard prospect. Not saying he couldn't play guard too, just that he seems ideally suited to a conversion to center.

We all know Hardwick could retire at any time. Why wouldn't they draft a guy now to learn the position? Would you really want to wait until after Hardwick retires to find a replacement.... doesn't sound wise to me.
  5. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I think we may well carry 4 RB's in total, especially if Grice shows capable of contributing on ST's (he's a capable returner, and doesn't shy away from contact so even if he's not a main returner option, he's got the tools to be a quality gunner). He may well be looked at as a potential replacement to Woodhead down the line, as Danny turns 30 this year.

I can't remember who specifically (it might have been Emory), but Grice was one of their real sleeper pre-draft picks in this class.
  6. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,063 / 30 / -0
    Is height really all that important for a guard? I tend to think not. Leverage is alot more important to inside linemen than height. No doubt the kid was drafted for his versatility. I doubt even the coaches know for sure where he will end up. He could win one of the starting guard jobs outright and stay there for the next five years. He could spend his rookie year as the primary backup to all three interior OL positions before starting at guard or center the following year, or he could start at guard this year and switch to center next year. Joe D will need to kick the tires and see what this kid can do. Given Joe D's ability to turn previously average or mediocre players into solid starters, I'm really excited to see what he can do with a kid whose talented, strong, smart and versatile.
  7. boltssbbound

Ratings Received:
    +1,063 / 30 / -0
    For us, RB is almost two distinct positions. You have the durable bangers, Mathews and Brown, and the pass-catching scat backs, Woodhead and Grice. Sure, there are overlaps in their skill sets, but carrying 4 RBs does not seem that crazy to me. Especially with the primary starters at each position heading into contract years.
  8. boltssbbound

Ratings Received:
    +1,063 / 30 / -0
    This is what's nice about a versatile player like Watt. He gives the front office options going forward. If we have a chance to draft or sign an elite center next year, Watt can be a starting guard. If we have a chance to draft an elite guard, he can slide to center or the other guard spot. A player will end up at the best spot not only for him, but where he can best help the team.
  9. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,576 / 29 / -1
    I get why having to learn it is a concern, I was more questioning the taking the year to do so as being the apparent only concern.

I mean, if you try to teach him to snap and it's apparent he can't stay in tune with his blocking responsibilities after then we're still in position to draft a true center next year like we would anyway. And, if he instead becomes a viable replacement at guard it's still a good pick.
  10. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +120 / 4 / -1
    Its not necessarily a concern, but its much easier to find a good OG than it is a good C, so him having the ability to project at C long term is a huge benefit to this team, so we can just replace him at RG or LG (whichever he ends up playing, doesn't really matter too much), rather than going out and having to find a quality C, which usually means you have to pick one in the top few rounds.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +411 / 7 / -1
    I agree with alot of this. Unless Watt is a true C in the making, going O line at that spot for me would have meant Trai Turner or Brandon Thomas, both are better than Watt in my opinion. I didn't like the RB pick either, McCullers was still available even if we'd picked a NT in the previous round, even Trevor Reilly might have been worth a shot there.
  12. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    To be fair, Some are suggesting that Watt may have been the Chargers best pick in the draft, the kid just goes to work, blocks his assignment, and steers his defenders in the run game. He was the general on the offensive line, checking for blitzes, and keeping his linemen as one. He isn't as athletic as Thomas or Turner so he isn't going to get the same attention. Mike Mayock even mentioned a couple weeks ago how Watt is better value than Martin (only because you can get the same type of player at a lesser price)
  13. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Well, only issue there is that neither Turner or Thomas are going to give you much this year. Thomas' ligament tear all but guarantees he starts the camp on the PUP and likely goes straight to IR. Turner has a really good ceiling, but is still raw with a lot of bad habits (his head is down when he run-blocks sooo much).
  14. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Watt is more or less to some of these other guards (like Trai Turner and Dakota Dozier) what Weston Richburg was to Martin - not as sexy measurables but just plain gets the job done.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. boltssbbound

Ratings Received:
    +1,063 / 30 / -0
    From what I've read, Watt seems like more of a finished product and more of a sure thing than either of those other guys. He's also smarter and more versatile. I think this is the kind of player that Joe D can really do something with.
  16. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,136 / 36 / -21
    @robdog we ready to unsticky this thread bro? Kinda oldish.;)