1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official Chargers vs Broncos Thread

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Sep 13, 2005.

?

Who is the greatest Charger Wide Receiver of all time?

1. Lance Alworth

78.4%
  2. Charlie Joiner

8.1%
  3. Gary Garrison

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Wes Chandler

5.4%
  5. Anthony Miller

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Tony Martin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Vincent Jackson

5.4%
  8. Other (elaborate)

2.7%
  1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +709 / 2 / -0
    Game 2 is already a "must win" game against our division rivals Denver Broncos.

Our Bolts will be ready for this one. Gates is back and look for LT to have a huge game.

Chargers win on the road 31 to 17. :good:

Post all week 2 related articles and comments here.
  2. BasPilot

BasPilot BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I don't know if it's time in the season to consider any game a "Must Win". I think each game has that feeling, division games more so..... Maybe it is just too early...
  3. ChargerRay

Ratings Received:
    +709 / 2 / -0
    Preview: Chargers at Broncos

Chargers.com

Chargers will look to rebound from a season-opening loss to the Dallas Cowboys as they venture into Denver’s Invesco Field to face the Broncos on Sunday, Sept. 18. Kickoff is set for 1:15 p.m. PDT.

The Bolts have won five of their last seven road openers, including last year’s 27-20 win to open the 2004 season at Houston.

The Chargers come into Sunday’s game looking for their second win in a row over the Broncos. Last season, the two teams met in a pivotal December game and San Diego knocked off the Broncos, 20-17, and took a huge step forward in clinching their first AFC West title since 1994. LaDainian Tomlinson paced the Chargers with 113 yards on the ground and two touchdowns. The Chargers defense intercepted Jake Plummer four times in the win.

San Diego will need a similar performance if they are to earn their first-ever win at Invesco Field. Denver has won all four meetings in the stadium that opened in 2001. San Diego has won just once in their last 10 trips to the Mile High City.

CBS Sports will broadcast Sunday’s game live in San Diego (KFMB-TV, Channel 8) with Kevin Harlan calling the play-by-play and Randy Cross providing color commentary.

Gates Returns

Tight end Antonio Gates will return to the Chargers roster for this Sunday’s game at Denver. Gates missed the start of training camp and on Saturday, Aug. 20 he was placed on the “Roster-Exempt” list, after signing a new six-year contract on Aug. 22. By being placed on the “Roster-Exempt” list, Gates was forced to sit out three games, including the Chargers final two preseason games and their regular-season opener against Dallas.

Chargers-Broncos Connections

* Chargers defensive coordinator Wade Phillips was the head coach of the Broncos in 1993 and ’94…he was Denver’s defensive coordinator from 1989-1992…wide receiver Vincent Jackson is a native of Colorado Springs (Widefield High) and attended Northern Colorado….linebacker Marques Harris hails from Grand Junction, Colo. (Grand Junction High) and spent three seasons at the University of Colorado….Chargers head athletic trainer James Collins spent five years (1991-95) as an assistant athletic trainer with the Broncos.
    * Broncos tight end Stephen Alexander spent the 2002 and ’03 seasons with the Chargers…Broncos defensive end Marco Coleman played for Chargers from 1996-98…Broncos tight ends coach Tim Brewster was the tight ends coach in San Diego from 2002-04 and also held the title of assistant head coach in 2004…Broncos defensive coordinator Larry Coyer coached linebackers at UCLA from 1987-89…Broncos defensive ends coach Jacob Burney held the same post at UCLA from 1990-92…Broncos defensive tackles coach Andre Patterson was the head coach at Cal-Poly San Luis Obispo from 1994-96…Broncos assistant defensive backs coach Jimmy Spencer played for the Chargers in 1998 and ’99.
    * The following Broncos players hail from Southern California: safety Marques Anderson (Long Beach, Poly H.S.), cornerback Karl Paymah (Culver City, Culver City H.S.), safety Sam Brandon (Riverside, John W. North H.S.), safety John Lynch (Del Mar, Torrey Pines H.S.) and defensive tackle Demetrin Veal (Paramount, Paramount H.S.).
    * The following players were college teammates: Chargers defensive end Dave Ball and Broncos safety Marques Anderson at UCLA…Chargers safety Bhawoh Jue and Broncos defensive end Courtney Brown at Penn…Chargers wide receiver Reche Caldwell, Broncos offensive lineman Cooper Carlisle and defensive tackle Gerard Warren at Florida…Chargers wide receiver Eric Parker and Broncos linebacker Al Wilson at Tennessee

Series History

The Chargers and Broncos have squared off 90 times. Denver leads the all-time series 50-39 and there has been one tie. Denver has won three of the last four. Last season, the teams split the series with the Broncos winning in Denver, 23-13, and the Chargers winning in San Diego 20-17.

The Chargers blew a golden opportunity to beat the Broncos in last season’s meeting at Invesco Field as San Diego’s defense held Denver to 37 yards rushing. The Chargers couldn’t contain Jake Plummer, who passed for 294 yards and two touchdowns while completing 25 of his 36 pass attempts. Denver’s defense gave an inspired effort against San Diego, holding the Bolts to 214 yards of total offense and limiting Tomlinson to 60 yards and no touchdowns on 22 carries.
  4. LT teh ghost

LT teh ghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +313 / 0 / -0
    The dolphins man handled the broncos...so you guys should do the same

Chargers - 40 :shock:
    broncos- 17
  5. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    wow your being generous there ghost. but i can see it happening. the real key to winning this game is to score when we have the opportunity to. we cant go down and get shut down like the last series v.s. cowboys. we need to keep the pressure on jake the fake stumbler. i look for L.T. to have a huge game against the ex brown front line. Gates will help decoy that will give Tomlinson extra room to run. If we dont win, I will be very disappointed.
  6. skiman

skiman BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I think the big key to this game is the passing game. Gates did not play last game and with that the passing game was not up to par. Gates was missed. With that kind of weapon on the field changes the whole game plan.
  7. ChargerRay

Ratings Received:
    +709 / 2 / -0
    We need to start fast and score early. Then we can feed LT all day long and work the clock. Sproles needs to keep doing what he's doing and help us win the battle of field position.

Defensively, we got to pressure Plummer. Merriman will help especially on 3rd downs. I'd like to see our CB's play more man to man rather than zone. With a good pass rush, Jammer and Florence won't have to cover too long and they'll be in a better position to defend the pass.
  8. tboltzcali

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    well, it didnt work out too well v.s. bledsoe. hope we get better results this week.
  9. BasPilot

BasPilot BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Not winning here is absolutely devistating to a team. Not saying you can't come back from it, but it's a hole. Going 0-2 is going to make your team stay off the top of the division for about 3 weeks after you went 0-2 atleast. Think about it. From 0-2, you go (if you win everything) 1-2 (below 500) to 2-2 (at 500) to 3-2 (just above 500) and 3-2 may be the top of your division, but probably won't be on top of this division. Next, if you lost to DENVER, that's a division game, is it not? Puts a team in your division up a game, although it's only making them 1-1, you're still on your back looking up from 0-2...

Losing this game is HUGE... winning it isn't necessarily as huge though... Think on that for a while!!
  10. tboltzcali

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    true but i think its equally huge if we win. this will bring the team up and give them that crank to get momentum going. ya feel me? also this will show up huge later down the line.
  11. ChargerRay

Ratings Received:
    +709 / 2 / -0
    Williams prepares to step in for Bailey

We got to take advantage of Bailey being out.

12. tboltzcali

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    no champ and the other corners are rookies? k mac should have a field day!!
  13. skiman

skiman BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys don't forget GATES is back baby. Another weapon on the offense unleashed.
  14. tboltzcali

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    This game will show us what the chargers are about this year.
  15. ChargerRay

Ratings Received:
    +709 / 2 / -0
    I agree, it's a must win for both teams. After the Giants, we go up against the big boys, NE, Philly, Pitt, OAK, KC.
  16. T10

T10 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Chargers win big this weekend. 35-21 :banana:
  17. SDITSURFER

SDITSURFER BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yep an absolute M ! U ! S ! T ! win game...and I think the team knows it. I hate to say it but I think this game will be a nail biter since its up in Denver...last one has the ball wins.

Chargers 31
    Denver 28

Nick Kaeding 50 yarder... :shock:
  18. ChargersFan

ChargersFan BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Are you frieakin' kidding me??????

I can't belive Marty is not throwing the ball to LT. C'mon. The Denver run deffense is notorios for its ability to stop the run. Why not pass to the guy. And why did Gates have so few oppurtunites to make a difference. I am so ^%#$^%@ pissed off. I just got home from watching the game w/ my Denver friends (Who are going with me to the game on New Year's Eve) and all of them expected US to win. What the %#)@!!!!!!!! Poor coaching? What is your opinion? We should be at least 1-1 right now! I amlmost expected to lose today because I know that going in to Mile High is difficult, but HELLO?

NEXT WEEK IS A MUST WIN!!!!!

On a positive note....the RAIDAHAZ are losing.... :evil: