1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,680 / 44 / -26
    I know of one Aztec who'd be a willing follower.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,550 / 44 / -6
    If he did help or score any points last night I'm not interested.
  3. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,680 / 44 / -26
    OK....... didn't think that reference was too difficult to figure out.

After all, Lance got it. :laugh:
  4. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +766 / 5 / -0
    So, are there any other free agents out there that might be worth considering?
  5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    Jacoby Ford is worth a look for sure, we need a KR/PR.
    Champ Bailey
    Carlos Rogers
    Willie Colon
    Alex Carrington

And I might be in the minority, but I would welcome a 1yr minimum deal for Kenny Britt.
  6. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings Received:
    +395 / 4 / -0
    Like the guy on the field, but that 9 times involvement with police since joining the league is a pattern that can't be disregarded. Maybe with a clause that voids his contract "if run-in with law"..and found in the wrong.

All the other guys don't interest me outside of maybe Ford...
  7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    Carrington would be an excellent fit as a backup to Liuget and Reyes, better by far than Lawrence Guy, so I am very interested in him.

Bailey and Rogers are probably looking for too much money, I wouldn't be surprised to see them to wait until July or even August to sign.

Britt is high risk high reward, the character (and some injury) issues are whats standing between him and a $9-10M a year deal, but he has legitimate #1 receiver talent. I personally believe we have a strong enough locker room to tame a jackass like that with high character guys like Rivers, Gates, Hardwick, Weddle, Butler, Royal etc... but I understand completely if no GM wants to invite that into the locker room.
  8. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,280 / 12 / -5
    Bailey? He's done. Won't get another job.
  9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,423 / 19 / -4
    Terrell Thomas CB NYG intrigues me
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    Keenan Allen would love to practice against him.:roflmao:

That was one of the biggest *** kicking's I've seen since.....well, DeSean Jackson roasted Shareece Wright over the fire in week 2.:unsure:
  11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,423 / 19 / -4
    I will note that Thomas was/is recovering from an ACL tear the previous year. The reasonable belief is he'll be better this upcoming year and on top of which he showed great talent before the injury. And let's be honest whats left at this point??
  12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,550 / 44 / -6
    After all, Lance got it. :laugh:[/quote]

What did he win??????
  13. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +224 / 8 / -3
    What's left?

The draft. No need to reach here when this is one of the deeper cb draft classes in some tine.
  14. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    Hey man we may not be able to stop anyone this year with all those rookies out there, but at least we still have #66.
    • Old Old x 2
  15. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    Get over it Riff, it's a topic until it's not anymore.
  16. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +224 / 8 / -3
    Awww, whatsa matter? Telling you the topic is old too rough for you?

Poor little fella. Toughen up buttercup.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    Not at all, I just think it's a little pathetic that you do it every single time his name (or number) is mentioned.

Now I'm not sure if you're passively trying to defend Clary by pushing your little clock button, or if your actually dumb enough to think I care enough to stop mentioning him.:p Not gonna happen bud, like I said its a topic until it's not anymore.
  18. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings Received:
    +297 / 10 / -6
    Something you and Clary have in common.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +129 / 1 / -0
    I don't think this CB class is deep at all. Top heavy with good options projecting to be there at #25, but there aren't many names I like outside of the top 40. Especially if you're looking for help right away.
  20. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    Yeah after Roberson and Purifoy tanked their combine AND pro day that really hurt the day 2 crowd for me. There were some other disappointing notable 40 times too from Breeland, Desir, Hampton etc...

But I will say Chris Davis and Jaylen Watkins have risen in my book, and some later day 3 guys like Walt Aikens, Brandon Dixon and of course Aaron Colvin who are worth a look and could in the long run be solid players in the league.

I'd say it's a solid CB draft, although previously a little overrated.
  21. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +129 / 1 / -0
    I'm not wild about Watkins or Davis on tape. But I do think E.J. Gaines, Andre Hal, and Rashaad Reynolds are alright. But if we want help from someone in 2014, it's probably going to be someone at #25.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    I'm a big Reynolds fan, but of course I'm extremely biased.
  23. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,680 / 44 / -26
    Chargers received zero compensatory picks again this year. Jets and Ravens both received four.
  24. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Purifoy is looking more and more like hot garbage anyway. For all the hype that the prospects are getting, that Florida secondary massively underachieved last season.

In our current scheme, unless we manage to generate some serious St. Louis type pass-rush (where it's coming consistently at an above-average level from all segments: Edges, middle, DL, LB's, and the occasional blitzing DB), we're not going to shutdown any team's passing attack - barring said result being more a product of hapless QB-play from the opposition. We certainly can do what this scheme is designed to do, which is substantially limit big plays. Where we desperately need the improvement from last season is generating more turnovers - that killed us. But that's not something that requires corners with Cromartie-like athleticism.

Fact is, we're not getting two starting CB's from this draft - barring TT managing to unearth a late-round gem who seriously outproduces the evaluations of him by many as well as his draft position. Anyone who was expecting us to get two starting CB's out of this draft has, pardon my bluntness, been looking at this very naively. I still stand by my belief that if you have high-level safety play and effective pass-rush, you can "more-than-get-by" with average corners. For all the pub that the Legion of Boom gets it's one great corner (Sherman), arguably the best pure FS in the league (Thomas), a Top 7 SS (Chancellor), and then a slew of corners who are good fits for the system they run but not truly exceptional players (yes, that included Thurmond and Browner as well).
  25. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    We can thank Derek Cox for that - his contract basically assured we weren't going to get any sort of compensation for losing Vasquez and Phillips to free agency last year. We shouldn't expect any next year either considering we re-signed any FA of ours worth mentioning, and the deals given to Donald Brown and Cam Thomas likely will offset themselves.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings Received:
    +395 / 4 / -0
    Blame starts with the shot-caller....
  27. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +224 / 8 / -3
    The knee injury has dropped his stock considerably but Exum is still a cb worth considering in later rounds too. His size has many projecting him to safety but he was a damn good corner before the knee.
  28. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +224 / 8 / -3
    Every time? Hahahaha. Passive aggressive much? I could care less what mule you choose to beat, but do find it amusing that marking it as "old" puts you in a little tizzy. The Clary conversation is more mature than you.

The team has time to do sonething with Clary if that's their decision. Nothing changes between now and June 1 with regards to the cap. Any decision on restructuring/cutting may well be coming after the draft.
  29. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Yes, and no. At no point since the offseason that saw us draft Larry English (and me nearly crash my car driving north in bumper-to-bumper traffic and hearing that pick announced live) have we actually had enough talent on the team that our GM should be factoring in whether or not he's going to get compensatory draft picks. That was the last time we had true depth.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  30. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    And therein lies the problem, we have a ton of holes heading into the draft (both depth and starters), and free agency is a dry hole. There is no King Dunlap lurking around to save the day, we signed Dunlap, Woodhead, Phillips, and Rinehart 3 days into FA last year....those players are gone at this point, the time has passed.

See your problem is you think this is all about Clary himself, what it's about filling the 53 man roster with better players than we had last year, and ideally not having to start more than 1 rookie...if that.

Not my problem if your bored of hearing it.
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014