1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,688 / 44 / -26
    I just don't think a guy of his age, and recent injury history, is worth that kinda money. But then, my team isn't in a desperate win now mode either.
  2. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    The 31 year old with supposedly a ton of injury history who has only missed 3 games in his entire NFL career?
  3. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    According to Revis' business manager, nothing has been agreed yet. Multiple sources have said the deal is done.
  4. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,688 / 44 / -26
    Playing most of the year doesn't mean he wasn't affected by injuries. His numbers really dropped off this past season. 40 combined tackles and 6 sacks...... hardly what I'd call elite production.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Look at injury reports the last 2 years, he's been on them almost every week. Ware is incredibly tough, but when you play hurt consistently, combined 17.5 sacks the last 2 years and get paid $20M in guarantees where is the value in that?

Also, Ware went missing when the Cowboys needed a play from their 'superstar', had a tendency to go missing in big games.
  6. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,688 / 44 / -26
    Mike Harris held him to zero sacks......... 'nuff said. ;)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +42 / 2 / -0
    Raiders may have been saved from themselves. Saffold failed his physical and won't sign.
  8. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    Awe man. Good news is Veldheer already left.
  9. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,688 / 44 / -26
    "Saved" in the sense they now have no starting left tackle. ;)
  10. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    They can grab Jake Mathews and use the money they got back for other options
  11. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    I hope so, cuz that means no QB of the future.
  12. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +42 / 2 / -0
    Well they also signed Austin Howard, and the rumor is that they were going to put him at LT and use Saffold at guard while paying Saffold big time tackle money. Whatever the truth is the Schadenfreude is always enjoyable.
  13. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    I wouldn't mind bringing in Brandon Browner for 2 years or so.. similar to what DRC got with the Broncos last year, where we could void his contract.

By the way, Larry English is still on the roster. He didn't play the % of snaps for his contract to be voided. Weird situation from what I hear.
  14. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,280 / 12 / -5
    The Raiders had $60 MILLION in cap space and could basically sign ANYONE they wanted to. They let Veldheer go and pick up Saffold. Now this happens:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-to-rams-after-failing-physical-with-raiders/

15. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    It also helps that Elway is 1) Playing with someone else's money right now and 2) has carte blanche to do whatever the hell he wants because he's basically going to end up being the "Magic Johnson" of whatever ownership group eventually buys the Broncos from Pat Bowlen, who doesn't appear to have any descendants with any interest in carrying on the legacy.

Some teams like the Steelers, Packers, Ravens, and arguably Seattle (they're getting there), San Francisco (ditto), and the Pats (don't let the Revis 1-year pickup fool you, this is pretty uncharacteristic for them - and if Revis does extend with them it'll be him buying into the "Patriot Way" and not being the constant "I have to be the highest paid guy to feed me ego" sort) work to build dynasties and generally restock through the draft. Denver is trying to perpetually game the system by milking the fact they have Peyton Manning at QB and a buttload of cap space because they have 11+ starters on rookie deals, and are issuing glorified 1-2 year contracts with no signing bonuses so that despite the length and total of the contract listed, they can basically release said player once their guaranteed sum has been paid out. It's a luxury they won't have when they no longer have PFM.
  16. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Mark Davis is as clueless as the senile version of his old man was. Not that Saffold was worth the kind of coin they gave him - but they needed to spend to meet the salary floor (and unlike Cleveland didn't have many players worth extending to help accomplish that - and even the ones they had they blew it with) and Saffold showed glimpses last season of being a high-end guard (They're still planning on starting Menelik Watson at LOT). And because Saffold needed surgery that still would have had him ready for camp, Davis pulls the plug on the deal and has his team doctors fail Saffold on his physical.

Brilliant, sir! Brilliant!
  17. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    Those teams mentioned above are also very big in free agency, whether it be through trade or bringing in outside players

After Baltimore lost Krueger it actually worked out better for them in the long run shelling out a nice payday for Dummerville (which was well deserved) and made a trade for Eugen Monroe.

SF and Seattle do develop nice young talent in addition to signing top level free agents
    Carlos Rodgers, Cliff Avril, Antoine Bethea, Michael Bennett, Sydney Rice (at the time was the top WR), Justin Smith, so I'm sorry if I fail to see how they just stick straight to the code of building their rosters only from the draft

I don't care what anyone says, every team in the NFL needs free agency (not just for their own player but for other teams players as well) To completely rely on your own guys and build depth by replacing Bront Bird with another Bront Bird type player is a 5 year plan at best.

I understand we don't have any money this year as well as many others on this site understand also, unfortunately the poor saps on the CMB's don't. I also know we have somewhere up to 60 million next year, so we do have room to bring over a DRC type player without hurting ourselves this year or the future. I'm not saying we need to match our division rivals step for step, nor should we. But at the same time I hate reading undeserved criticism when I or someone else happens to express impatience or frustration when we see a defensive lineup of

Von Miller
    Terrance Knighton
    Aqib Talib
    Chris Harris
    Von Miller
    Demarcus Ware (who's worst year still outperformed our defensive players best year)
    TJ Ward
    Derek Wolfe

And we counter with a H back who may or may not make the team, I speak for myself and possibly others as well when I say, when I read something on a sports message board first thing that always happens is a positive or negative reaction, once it settles in opinions may or may not change, so yeah! my first reaction was WTF!?!?!?!
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  18. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Have you looked at how many starters who are either out of contract or in contract years for us next season - starters that, if you were to poll many on here, they'd say they'd like to hold onto? That $60 million goes away pretty quickly when you're doing that, particularly if you do the financially smart thing and frontload the contracts.

And I'm not sure if you're aware or not, but some of the free agents you were listing (Justin Smith, Sidney Rice) weren't signed by the front office staff's currently in place in San Fran and Seattle. And several others came on what were effectively "prove-it" deals after they didn't find the market they were originally expecting to find (Avril turned down $10m per year from the Lions the year that the Lions slapped the franchise tag on him; Bennett came on a 1-year mid-cost deal and just this year got paid; Carlos Rogers was coming off being cut by Washington after coming off of the two worst seasons of his career and a knee injury and came to San Fran on a one-year, low-cost deal).

I have no problem with anyone expressing frustration over the lineup ON PAPER that another team in the division has put together. I do take issue when they selectively (or at least it comes off as that) ignore the full context - like the fact that players being signed that have shown a high tendency to miss time for injury aren't as threatening because whether it's Demarcus Ware or Larry English, they both contribute the same when they're in civies because they're not healthy enough to suit up on game day. Ignoring that context comes across in the same vein as the people that gripe that we haven't cut Clary to free up cap space that we "could potentially use," versus waiting to make the move (and create another hole on our roster) until the cap-space was actually needed to cover a contract given out or at least until a replacement for Clary is on the roster. Creating holes just to create holes is short-sighted.

Honest question... when we signed that "midget backup running back from the Pats" this time last year, when our OL was coming off a year where they couldn't run-block to save their lives, did you react with a similar WTF? How about when we signed that "reject from the Eagles" to be our starting left tackle or the perennial backup from Buffalo? Those "lackluster" signings sure turned out horrible for us.
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +225 / 8 / -3
    Short story - "dream" teams probably induce far more panic in opposing fan bases than they produce championships.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    Exactly. And spending free agency money just to spend free agency money is equally short-sighted.

I've grown to hate the internet message boards/facebook during free agency of either of my two favorite sports because of the irrational venom spewed by many fans.
  21. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +42 / 2 / -0
    lol. Once I saw that the Rams immediately offered Saffold a five year deal I knew this was another idiotic Raider move. I figured a failed physical meant one year prove it deal but obviously Saffold is fine.

I actually assumed that they got buyer's remorse, perhaps not realizing that Austin Howard would be available and deciding they preferred Howard to Saffold, but the true explanation is even worse.
  22. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +42 / 2 / -0
    Apparently before being cut Steve Smith gave the Panthers five preferred trade destinations, one of which was the Chargers. SuperCharger92 going nuts.
  23. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    ;) ;)

Please the football Gods.. Rivers and Smith on the same team, it just looks too good to be true.
  24. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Man, the Jags really making some great signings. Good for them, Gus Bradley is a very likable guy. Toby Gerhat, Zane Beadles, Red Bryant, Chris Clemons and Ziggy Hood. Look at their roster looks similar to Seattle's, building a very deep and tough DL to help out the unexperienced secondary.

No doubt they target QB in the draft.
  25. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings Received:
    +297 / 10 / -6
    A fifth round pick was good enough to land Sproles.
  26. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Chargers sign Kavell Conner to a 3 year deal.. Good signing!
  27. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Robbery.

A RB who can't participate in the run game, has had injury problems last season and a pretty hefty salary ($3.5M, Donald Brown is actually making less than that) for a 3rd down back and KR/PR.

But if anybody knows how to use him, its Chip Kelly.
  28. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    I bet a lot of Chargers fans are upset that we didn't go after him but we pretty much filled his void with Woodhead so it'd be overkill, especially after signing Brown.
  29. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    To answer those questions, no I did not, I was impressed we got Danny Woodhead, I was a a fan of his ever since he had something ridiculous of 200 all purpose yards and 4 tds in that pre season game right before the Jets stupidly cut him, he was quickly scooped up by NE where he went on to torment them 2 times a year, and Dunlap no because A I did not know he was a for sure set in stone starting LT, neither did you, neither did the coaching staff. Even if he was I had a friend who is a die hard Eagles fan who told me he wasn't as bad as what the Philly fans made him out to be. And Chad Rinehart was my favorite signing, because I always felt he played remarkably well when he came in for an injured Levitre, or Urbik, See thing is I was familiar with those names, but I'm not sitting there like a prick justifying an often injured H back that I have never heard of before, trying to belittle someone who does go "WTF" to that signing. Maybe he is the greatest blocked in the world or maybe he's another Chris Gronkowski.

Please enlighten me oh great one, help me see the full context for who "on paper" was signed to that team that has miss so much time that they warrant the same conversation as Larry English

And Im not sure if you're aware of it or not, but Pete Carroll was in Seattle in 2010 Sydney Rice came over in 2011, Do the math. That year they also brought over Tavaris Jackson in a hefty deal, after making a silly trade for Charlie Whitehurst the season before, Which was also Carroll and the front office staff that is currently in place.

Again Tom Telesco has been masterful with what he has done so far so I do have the upmost confidence in his plan in place, but "On Paper" we're F@#$%d
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  30. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +242 / 16 / -2
    Slight correction ;)
    • Funny Funny x 1