1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +160 / 2 / -0
    We signed Brandon Ghee CB from Bengals and brought back Reggie Walker, both 2 year deals.

• Like Like x 1
  2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,212 / 37 / -21
    Clemens, Ghee, and Walker all in 1 day?!?!? TT going wild!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +2,855 / 48 / -26
    I like Reggie...... the guy can bring it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +160 / 2 / -0
    Ghee only played 80 snaps for the bengals last year but graded at +4.9 in those snaps according to PFF. I'll Assume he was a cheap signing but there may be some upside here as hes 26 years old, 6 foot corner, and has good speed and athleticism. Low risk and potentially high reward in my opinion, I like the signing.

5. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +194 / 3 / -1
    And the fans go wild!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,478 / 19 / -4
    Ghee is a depth player that couldn't get past some of the good corners the Bengals had over the last few years. He's useful depth so maybe if there's injuries the team won't scramble for the likes of Crezdon Butler and Richard Marshall. I'd put him behind Williams this point.

Clemens, meh, not a particularly good QB, he might just be there to push Sorensen to ensure he's not guaranteed the primary backup role

7. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +160 / 2 / -0
    Im pretty sure we still have Crezdon Butler under contract for next year

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,478 / 19 / -4
    I reiterate, so we don't have to rely on Crezdon Butler again

9. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +520 / 13 / -3
    And good luck re-signing them once Manning retires. Think there going to stick around with all that talent drained? Think they want Brock Osweiler or Zac Dysert throwing them the ball?

On top of that, John Fox most likely retires as well if they go out winners/failures. He's really in it because of Manning. But, like you said, doesn't matter if the salary cap rises, player's will demand more.

10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,212 / 37 / -21
    Other than Donald Brown, everyone we've signed in the last 3 days is fringe player.

And I guess Kavell Conner has a shot because we only have 2 other ILBs under contract (Butler and Te'o), but that could change.

11. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +42 / 2 / -0
    Ghee sounds like Johnny Patrick. Former third round pick who never panned out in limited opportunities. Will probably turn out like Patrick, but he's worth a flyer. Hopefully some of these low-end signings can be quality special teams players.

12. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +520 / 13 / -3
    TT is cookin' boy!

Brandon Ghee, low risk high reward. I like it.
    Reggie Walker, at best he's a special teams contributor and decent nickel LB. Good depth signing
    Kellen Clemens, camp body to push Sorensen. I think he might stick to help prepare for some NFC West opponents. Because, we simply can't go 0-4 in those games. We need to be at least 2-2 against that division.

13. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +121 / 4 / -1
    The difference is that Patrick was a 5'10" CB that ran a 4.55+. He was never good as anything more than a 4th or 5th CB.

Biggest problem Ghee's had was with injuries. lots of injuries. He's a 6' CB with legit 4.3 speed and really pushed for a starting spot before he continually got injured and lost a step in the race to be a starter. Plus Cincy has some very talented CB's ahead of him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +520 / 13 / -3
    Maybe a change of scenery will help. Change in medical staffs and off-season strength and conditioning programs. You never know.

15. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +2,855 / 48 / -26
    Well, he couldn't get past anyone, because he kept getting hurt. The guy has had two wrist injuries, and a couple concussions that kept him out. He ran a 4.39 sec 40, so he's got speed to go with decent size (6' 0"). At the very least, he should get some time on special teams to start.

16. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Yeah, my one reservation is that it looked like we replaced Derek Cox with... a less expensive Derek Cox with possibly better awareness. TT continues to bring in guys who are strongest at play press-and-bail man coverage, which would be great if, you know, Pagano and Milus didn't consistently line our CB's up with 5 to 7-yard cushions from the LOS. Either someone FINALLY got through to our DC and convinced him to start adjusting the scheme to fit the strengths of the men on the roster more often (and not just when we're coming out of the locker room for the second half and trailing in the game)... or there's a continued disconnect between the front office and the coaching staff in terms of the former getting players that fit what the later wants to do.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Truly, as far as depth and ST contributions, Patrick wasn't short on contributing... when he was healthy. The problem was the kid had some kind of obsession with injuring himself in every game he played for us. I felt bad, but it literally became comical for me (we turned it into a drinking game) because it happened so damn much.

18. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    We have limited cap space, a front office with a desire to build through the draft, and the true "bargains" in free agency (the like that we can actually afford) don't typically present themselves until at least 7 days into the process - and sometimes after the draft (note: That was when we signed Aubrayo Franklin two years ago). There are still a good amount of guys out there on the market who can contribute - even if it's only on a one-year deal that they settled for after realizing the market for them wasn't as lucrative as their agent had led them to believe - but they've got to come to terms with the reality first, if they will at all (see Nicks - though I expect he's probably determined who he signs with by the end of this weekend at the latest; BJ Raji - who probably figured he'd have teams clawing over themselves to get him; Pat Sims - though again, Acee, for whatever his take is worth these days, has been harping that we ought to just get used to the idea of Lissemore as the starter at NT; Tarell Brown - doubtful... I've got a source I trust that says the Jets are honed in on him; Brandon Browner; Walter Thurmond; Jacoby Ford - if the little bastard can stay healthy he's the epitome of "speed" that TT said he wanted to add to the offense... and was actually pretty lethal when he had a semi-competent QB in Palmer throwing to him).

Point being, it's not like the market has completely dried up.

19. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,212 / 37 / -21
    I agree the market is still plentiful, and our pockets remain shallow. Please don't mistake my tone though, I'm not worried yet, I was just making a comment that guys like Clemons, Ghee, Johnson and Walker are far from safe bets to make the 53 man roster.

Also a side note, we signed Cox, Dunlap, Rinehart, and John Phillips on day 3 last year, outside of Cox I think the other 3 were pretty good bargains before day 7. The difference between this year and last is the cap increase, there are more teams with more money, so we will be competing a little harder for the services of under the radar guys like Shelly Smith, Alex Carrington, Walter Thurmond etc...

20. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +520 / 13 / -3
    What about Josh Morgan from WAS? I know he's a questionable commodity, but if we don't sign a vet WR I think he can come in at a bargain and be effective. Has the speed and makes some tough catches. His head just isn't on straight some times.

21. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    I would say Connor and Walker have the best chance to make the 53, Walker was part of the big 3 on special teams with Stuckey, TuTu and himself, he also was an adequate ILB when called upon later on in the season. Having both Walker and Connor more than likely spells the end for Mouton, I would even argue it could spell the end for English as well. That is if he doesn't get IR'd before that

22. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,212 / 37 / -21
    Actually I thought Mouton was already gone haha.

I expect we'll draft at least 1 prospective pass rusher, in which case English, Keiser, Williams, and Walker are all on the bubble. If we draft or sign a receiver that leaves Tutu as the 6th man again as well, sad but it's business. It will be interesting to see what happens with John Phillips, he was a good 3rd TE, but if the knee isn't ready he could be released to preserve cap rather than put on PUP.

Ahhh...only 5 1/2 months until football.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    I love Walkers versatility to play both inside and outside which is helpful when deciding that last spot. I agree we need a top top 3 round pass rusher but would
    I have no problem sending English and his 1.5 million we would save packing, Williams is gone and would love to keep Keiser around or try to get a late round pick in return.

24. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Really like the Ghee signing. Kid seems to have a ton of upside. These are the type of signings you want in FA, low risk,
    high reward. Telescope has shown a real talent at finding good players for cheap that have been overlooked(Woodhead, Lissmore,Reinhart, Dunlap, ect). Hopefully this another diamond in the rough. His one big money signing was a total bust. Maybe it's better this way?

25. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226 / 8 / -4
    Check his 3 cone and shuttle times. Good athlete.

26. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +42 / 2 / -0
    Chargers re-signed Richard Marshall to a one year deal.

• Like Like x 1
  27. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +520 / 13 / -3
    SHAKING MY HEAD.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +520 / 13 / -3
    49ers closing in on deals with CBs Walter Thurmond for 1 year/$2M and Tarrell Brown 3 years/$10M. Robbery.

And we're re-signing Richard Marshall.

29. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings:
    +1,600 / 29 / -1
    And if they sign for one team at that price they obviously would have signed anywhere else at that had they only asked.

/armchairGMlogic

30. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,592 / 48 / -6
    I'm liking this off-season so far. TT seems to be reinforcing the foundation of the team and another year of the uptempo and strength training should really start to be come evident in the weeks and months to come. Hell, TT might just de-cleat us all and pull off a once in a lifetime draft steal with all these big names moving all over the countryside.