1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official Game Day Thread: Chargers vs Broncos - 11/18

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Nov 18, 2012.

1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,104 / 34 / -21
    I have no idea what your talking about again, and that's like the 3rd time in the last 20 minutes :roflmao:. Have you been drinking? You're computer should come with a breathalyzer.
  2. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,554 / 44 / -6
    The Stiller's have tradition on their side. You dog it on that team you just got a one way ticket out of town.
  3. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Actually he's already been paid. We really wouldn't owe him any additional money, but we'd be incurring a cap hit as though we were - for at least one if not two more years at least. On our books, we'd effectively be paying him not to play for us.
  4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,104 / 34 / -21
    Thats what I mean. The money we'd save is minimal, and considering I don't know the tiny specifics of his contract I'd bet you the cap hit for 2013 would be worse if we cut him.
  5. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,554 / 44 / -6
    Better coaching would improve the play of the O-line too. Norv should have pull Clary when he allowed the sack after River's was telling him to move outside. Norv is just to soft during games and Philip should have sat out a series or two this year, it might have helped like it did with Mathews.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-diego-chargers/jared-gaither/

Spotrac obviously doesn't have a secret lens into McGuire's mind, and they're simply projecting the most logical breakdown of the contract based upon what info they have received from the league office, but I'd say this is accurate enough to base discussion from. Either way, Gaither was guaranteed $13.5 million on the contract of which $8 million has been paid out already in signing bonus (likely with the cap-hit prorated over the term of the contract at $2 million against the cap in each year of the contract), and at least $1 million paid out in game checks this year (as the vet minimum for a player with as many years of service as he has is right up against the 1 mill mark for base salary).

That leaves $4.5 million we've have to pay him just to fulfill the guarantees of the contract, and that doesn't take into account that per the Collective Bargaining Agreement any un-accrued prorations of the signing bonus yet to count against our cap would all compound and accelerate and count against our 2013 salary cap). So long story short, Gaither's here, on the roster and on the books, at least one more season. Starting in 2014 if we wanted to cut him we could save $3 million from what he would count in total against the cap for that year but cutting him (i.e. he'd account for a $4 million dead-money cap hit as opposed to a roughly $5 million salary + $2 million signing bonus proration for a $7 million total cap hit).
  7. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    I forgot I was talking to someone that knows everything! I am just using your logic to build our offensive line. Late round draft choices and free agents. Which is exactly what we have right now! Lets keep using this logic, its working great.
  8. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,104 / 34 / -21
    Yet again, what I'm saying seems to have gone completely over your head.:sleep:

What I was saying...in short simple elemetary language was.......We should spend money to fix the O-line, not draft picks, in the 2013 NFL offseason. Was that difficult to understand?

It seems to be, because your drunken response was..."Then I guess in your world we have that perfect offensive line because you are always right." The only logical conclusion here is that you were either drunk, or you're stupid. I'm talking about spending big money, not picking up 32 year old re-treads like Hadnot and Henderson.
  9. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +288 / 1 / -0
    I agree. I also don't think Norv has a clue what to do with our offense right now. He has an o-line which seems to have forgotten the fundamentals. He still believes they can create push up the middle for RM. He is not helping his shell shocked QB; this is obvious because PR is making unforced errors. If Norv was a good QB coach he could help PR keep his head in the game.
  10. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +770 / 5 / -0
    ^^^ Time to get Il Duce as a QB coach, the guy that does those jeans commercials...
  11. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    and once again teams do not let their good lineman go! The players that leave their teams are the Gaithers! I have been hearing that very logic for years now! So if we can build this line through free agency, when is it going to happen?
  12. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6

You want History, I’ll give you some history!

Since 1995 I took a look at only the Offensive Lineman that were drafted in the First or Second Round by the top five teams to appear in Super Bowls. The Steelers have appeared in eight Super Bowls and they have drafted five offensive linemen in the first round and three in the second round. The Cowboys have appeared in eight Super Bowls and have drafted six offensive linemen in the first round and two in the second. The Patriots have appeared in seven Super Bowls and have drafted four offensive linemen in the first round and three in the second round. Denver has appeared in six Super Bowls and has drafted two offensive linemen in the first round. The 49ers have appeared in five Super Bowls and have drafted six offensive linemen in the first round and two in the second. All total there are 34 Super Bowl appearances, 21 Lombardis won, and 25 first round draft choices and 10 second round choices. Now those are only Offensive lineman, I am going to guess the same amount of draft choices went over to the defensive line also by these teams.

Would you like to see those numbers through 1980?

If you want I can break it down only by teams that have appeared in the Super bowl since 1995.
  13. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    Since 1995 the teams to have appeared in the Super Bowl are:

Arizona Cardinals
    Atlanta Falcons
    Baltimore Ravens
    Carolina Panthers
    Chicago Bears
    Dallas Cowboys
    Denver Broncos
    Denver Broncos
    Green Bay Packers
    Green Bay Packers
    Green Bay Packers
    Indianapolis Colts
    Indianapolis Colts
    New England Patriots
    New England Patriots
    New England Patriots
    New England Patriots
    New England Patriots
    New England Patriots
    New Orleans Saints
    New York Giants
    New York Giants
    New York Giants
    Oakland Raiders
    Philadelphia Eagles
    Pittsburgh Steelers
    Pittsburgh Steelers
    Pittsburgh Steelers
    Pittsburgh Steelers
    San Diego Chargers
    San Francisco 49ers
    Seattle Seahawks
    St. Louis Rams
    St. Louis Rams
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Tennessee Titans

Would you like their breakdowns for Offensive linemen drafted in the first or second rounds? Oh wait a minute I have all ready put some of those numbers up all ready.
  14. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
    The first Concord stagecoach was built in 1827. Costing $1200 - $1500, these coaches weighed more than two thousand pounds.;)
  15. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    and wasnt their axles as wide as the roman chariots, which is what the railway system of today is based on.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,104 / 34 / -21
    Well I hope you're not a school teacher, because that was one of the sloppiest history lessons any fan has ever produced on Bolttalk. Complete and utter :poop:. You spanned such a huge timeframe for so many teams with no reference to the actual super bowl years.

How about making it more relevant? Tell us how many 1st round linemen the Cowboys had in their early 90's Super Bowl years. Or the Patriots have drafted the last 12 years. Or the 49ers had protecting Joe Montana. Or the Broncos had protecting John Elway etc... And keep in mind NFL offenses have changed dramatically in recent years and how that affects which O-line positions are being selected.

The good news is free agency opens about 8 weeks before the NFL Draft, so if we fail to fix the situation in free agency we can still draft a linemen in the 1st or 2nd round. I'm not immovable in my suggestion that we can only fix the line via free agents, I just think it would be ideal given Rivers is no longer a young man with time on his side, and is now going through a front office overhaul.
  17. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    Do you want me to answer that with crayons?
  18. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
    I agree we need line men for "Now" we can get some through FA but we need to look for something in the draft as well. Not saying we should use a 1st, but we may have to use a couple early picks to get what we need. I posted on Duffmans post in the draft column what cap room we have to work with will look like (a little less than 20 mil. ) I just cant see us getting a Volmer, Clady, Smith type player with that, seeing as we have a lot of holes to fill OL CB WR LS DE OLB NT. We also need to extend Butler this offseason before his price gets to high out of our range.

I would like to see us get a very productive yet non sexy name like Urbik or someone of that stature
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,554 / 44 / -6
    Back in 04 I was truly hoping the Bolt's would trade River's and keep Brees. Unfortunately that didn't happen and what I feared has, River's talent is being wasted and perhaps Archie was right all along. This team let Tomlinson down and now it's happening to River's and the onus goes out to Dean Spanos first and foremost. Football is about winning above all things including your purse strings.

This team hasn't had a good owner since Barron Hilton and it's sorry to think that nothing will change until winning becomes more important than money in Mission Valley.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    Free agency is our only hope right now. And with that how long will this bandaid hold? The Line has to be addressed in the draft. Signing up undrafted free agents is not the way to fix this problem.
  21. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    '

Rivers probably has ~8 years left. If we draft 2 linemen this year and 2 next year, we'll likely be good enough to be competitive in the playoffs after a 2 year delay. I think that it might suit us best to try to acquire the best possible FA talent that we can, but if Jake Long is leaving Miami, he's either going to a team that's already a contender, or he'll want 100 million bucks.
  22. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +783 / 54 / -41
    You're OS right Ike ?

After reading that above, I'm assuming you've gotta be in either Rotterdam or Jamicia. [​IMG]

"8 years LEFT ???" [​IMG] ................ weeks maybe, the way he is currently playing.

Would love to hear what you base this statement on ! .................. I mean, the guy has completely dropped off the cliff in his past 26 games, how on earth do you assume he can see out another 128 ( not too even mention he's only played 106 thus far in his entire career) and be still viable in the NFL at 38 years of age ????

That may well qualify as the most Homerific post in the 7 years I've posted daily on Charger forums and believe me, I've seen a few doozy's in that time.

I've heard of being "Optimistic", but that may need to be renamed Ikeimistic after reading that little pearler.
  23. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    Well, let's see, he dropped off when his line went to garbage. Therefore, as soon as his line is no longer garbage, his performance will improve, and then how long he has left will be a function of age. Thanks for playing.
  24. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +783 / 54 / -41
    Sorry, but can't agree, the OLine didn't just "drop off" last year, it's been crap since 08 if you've been watching closely enough and Rivers was just fine for the next 3 years after that for memory !!!!

A combination of continued terrible line play and the continual spiral of Rivers as a decisive and complete QB over the last year and a half, have equally contributed to what we see at the moment.

To give Fillup a pass and put this all on the OLine is again, wishful thinking at best, Homerism beyond belief at worst.

I'm up for a "playtime" whenever Ike, all good......... Stay off the chems Man ;)
  25. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    The only chems I'm on are nutritional supplements (no roids). Also, how can you say that the line didn't just drop off last year? Look at what happened when Dielman and McNeil were out? Immediate 6 game losing streak.
  26. jackfrost

Ratings Received:
    +783 / 54 / -41
    Ahhhhhhh, if you we're watching closely enough last season, Dielman in particular was showing signs of slowing up through the first 6 games he actually played in and that in itself had a huge effect on the way our OLine played, no doubt, no group that relays on chemistry for cohesioness, can afford for its " glue" to go missing, with his decline and subsequent injury, so went the offences ability to perform so it seems.
    Dielman was a gun, one of our very few true "bleed Blue & Yellow" types in the last 20 years of this franchise, without doubt, was worth and earnt every penny we spent on him.

As for Marshmellow Man, he hasn't earnt a dime of his contract since his rookie year in 06, played like a man possessed that year and lived on that glory for the next 5 years, so surely his lack of production over that period of time puts paid to his departure after last season as an excuse.

Glad to hear about the nutritional sups.......... Keep up the good work. ;)@
  27. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    Red, Dielman wasn't in 2009 (and certainly not in 2006 form) in 2011, but he was still a top LG, and he was infinitely better than Green.

Bold, McNeil, also, wasn't in 2006 form in 2011, but he, too, was world's better than his replacement (Dombo), and the immediate turn around in the team's fortunes with Gaither in at LT is a testament to that.