1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official Game Day Thread: Chargers vs Bucs - 11/11

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Nov 11, 2012.

1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,106 / 34 / -21
    In case I wasn't clear I was calling you a liar. Cool? Cool. ;)

You can't just make a bullshit statement and then go tell someone else to do their homework, you gotta back it up. I can't find anything about an argument between these guys.
  2. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings Received:
    +1,558 / 11 / -0

The oline issues are at the core of his problems - they are, at the very least, where they started. The lack of trust in the oline, whether they are legit or not on any given play, is the ultimate issue. Some INT's are going to happen, it's the egregious ones which are killing us.

That and his overwhelming need to do it all. He's the kind of player who can very easily fall into the mentality that everything is riding on him. The teams success, his HC's job (including his staff and potentially the GM). Not just in the sense that he's the "leader" in that locker room, and as the OB he takes the heat and the praise accordingly... but in a very literal and overwhelming way.

The worst part is, it's a vicious cycle that needs to be nipped in the bud. Because every mistake makes the next more likely. He needs one of those chill pills Bill Johnston was selling big time :p

Seriously though, I don't know how they get his head right... but I don't think he's a lost cause by any means. Maybe it's as simple as a little time riding the pine and getting back to the basics... since a new oline isn't coming anytime soon. That said, if PR is having trouble behind these guys I doubt very much that Whitehurst is going to be any better. Unless it was to his detriment, I want PR out there taking snaps over Charlie.
  3. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings Received:
    +1,558 / 11 / -0

Just tossing in what I can remember... as I recall, supposedly AJ told Brees before surgery, after his shoulder injury, that he was still their guy, but it was a lie and Brees was all sorts of mad about that. I don't remember what much else where was to it besides the bad blood between the two guys. Also, not sure how well known/documented fued/argument it was but I definitely remember hearing about it quite a bit then and over the following years. Of course, mostly via Scott and BR so take that for what it's worth :p
  4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,106 / 34 / -21
    I don't remember that but it sounds plausible. Heck pro sports is the land of...
    9:00 Give criticized coach a vote of confidence
    10:00 Practice
    12:00 lunch
    2:00 count my money
    5:00 fire head coach

Lakers being the most recent example.

I thought he may have meant the lowball contract offer after the news about his shoulder being jacked for good. But thats not really a feud, or a "fight" as Concudan called it. I don't like defending AJ, but he doesn't deserve to be fired for his FA decisions, more for his coaching hires, bad 1st round picks, and Jeromey Clary.

...that said its a forgone conclusion in my mind that John Spanos will replace AJ...so be careful what you wish for.
  5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,554 / 44 / -6
    Fawk Brees, he lied to the San Diego media to the extent of his shoulder injury. AJ merely stated that he would rather Brees come clean on it than AJ to report the actual nature of it. Brees was playing the media and fans against the organization.
  6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,689 / 39 / -8
    Your ignorance is only exceeded by your immaturity. Glad to see you never change.
  7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,106 / 34 / -21
    HAHA :D this weak diversion tactic seems happens every time I ask you to backup one of your small minded exaggerations. Glad to see you'll never change either my friend.
  8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,689 / 39 / -8
    Hey Matty. I get it, you are new to the Chargers thing, you like to talk like you know a lot but all too often get caught in the "Oh maybe I am just ignorant and too proud to admit it."

Perhaps you do not listen to sports radio where Brees and AJ publicly sparred with one another on 1090? You dont recall Brees stating that he felt AJ Smith had led him on in terms of long term contracts? Son, this happened over two off season. If you cant keep up, either take notes or dont hit send.
  9. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,106 / 34 / -21
    I don't live in San Diego, and this was before the era of Tune In Radio where I could listen to any radio station from my Iphone. So no, I did not hear it, nor did I ever hear about it, nor can I find anything ever written about it....so I guess I'm just supposed to take your word for it?

AJ has been well known for saying "we don't negotiate during the season," so I have no doubt he probably told Brees during the 2005 franchise tagged season (when healthy) that he was going to try to get a long term deal worked out eventually, probably once he had secured a Rivers trade, as the Rivers contract was a GIGANTIC hit on our cap. Then Brees got seriously injured.

So you want my opinion? I think Brees was butt hurt that AJ would no longer negotiate with what his medical staff deemed damaged goods. And I think AJ made what he considered the safer move, and its hard to disagree unless you're Captain Hindsight.
  10. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    So you're saying that Drew Brees is an opportunistic guy who will play whatever media "nice guy" card he can to paint himself as the Holy One?

Well... I was going to make some sarcastic remark there, but really there isn't one fitting how obvious that statement is, so yeah... I'll just wholeheartedly sign off and agree.

Despite the team he plays for now, Brees is no saint (pun intended? It's been a rough day). Not to mention, I think people forget that Brees' agent is Tom "Bane of AJ Smith's Existence" Condon - AJ loathed Condon and dealing with him. Brees and Condon got butthurt that the contract offer McGuire (who people seem to forget is and has been for a while the contract guy for the Chargers) put on the table didn't have a great deal of guaranteed money attached to it (because guaranteed money is exactly the first thing that would come to mind to offer a QB who has a potentially career-threatening injury to his THROWING shoulder).

Also, I have $20 for the first person that can put Solomon Wilcotts in front of me so I can kick him in the stones. His platitude commentary of completely ignoring context and just lamenting the "well... they let them walk" diatribe during the last game was reading from the script on the CMB and ESPN board.