1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official Game Day Thread: Chargers vs Jets - 12/23

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,756 / 47 / -26
    It's hardly the first time Norv has hinted that the roster isn't all it should be....... I wouldn't say it was just a case of sour grapes.
  2. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +805 / 5 / -0
    The Bolts won, the NJ jetz lost, now let's get on with the proceedings. It's Rayder week!
  3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,569 / 44 / -6
    For what these guys had to work with they did the best they could. They may bot be top notch coaches off the shelf but few are until they hone their individual skills as coaches.

Chuck Noll was just an ordinary defensive assistant with the Bolt's and ended up being a decent DC and HC and won a few games in his time. Coaches like players aren't born, their made. If there is no spark inside no matter how hard you fan no flame will appear.

You can write a book on this matter but the bottom line will always stay the same. You can't produce a silk purse out of a pigs arse. The accountability of this team starts in the owner's chair and works it way down from there.
    How I wish Dean was cut from Football cloth and I am hoping his son's have learned the "Football" business well.
  4. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +185 / 2 / -1
    RE: "I am hoping his son's have learned the "Football" business well."
    I keep wondering about John Spanos and whether he could be the real deal or not, whether he could become the first Spanos family member to have a single ounce of football savvy. Boltz web site says he started working for the team in 1995 while in high school, worked under Ed McGuire 1998-00 to learn contract negotiations, spent the 2003-05 seasons as a pro and college scout, the 2006-07 seasons as assistant director of college scouting, and is now director of college scouting. Do we give him any credit for scouting and drafting Liuget, Reyes, and Ingram?
  5. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    Depends, do we also wish to crush him for Mouton, Mathews, and English? I'd love to read his scouting reports. I'd really just like to look at one of his draft boards.
  6. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Never said "just". But there's certainly some sourness in there. Believe me. I want the whole organization put on blast so that Spanos either enacts proper change (rather than further exercises in rinse/repeat) or runs the risk of being known publicly (outside of San Diego and rather on a national media level) as being the one to fix the brunt of the blame to. We're, supposedly, seeing some of the symptoms of that - the Acee report of 6 (unnamed) players "viciously ripping" Gaither over the past couple months.

I'm just not wholly confident in that happening in the slightest.

My point was that there were things Norv couldn't control and things he couldn't. And in spite of the things he couldn't, he still did a piss poor job of handling the things he could.
  7. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,756 / 47 / -26
    Certainly, Norv could've done better, but his decline perfectly matches the decline of the Chargers roster..... that is not a coincidence. The rot starts at the top.
  8. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Exactly how much honing are you expecting here? Hal Hunter was an OL coach at LSU, UNC, Indiana, and Vanderbilt over a period spanning 11 years. It's not like he's some young pup assistant who's fresh off retirement as a player. The guy had praise heaped upon him for his "ability" to hold the line together with Scotch tape when all the injuries in 2009 (when he had to start a UDFA rookie at tackle several times) and yet strangely when we have a similar situation this year, he can't do squat to slow the bleeding? Mike Sullivan is in his 12th year as a coach.

And I'm not asking for silk. I'm asking for fundamental technical basics - something the members of this OL (at least the ones who weren't previously with other teams) do not demonstrate a capacity for. So unless we're simply drafting or bringing in the lowest IQ linemen imaginable there's a very identifiable trend in terms of why the technique of those players is so poor.

Again, people need to stop framing this as me trying to defend Norv or Norv's job. But this OL was a group effort failure. Failure to identify and evaluate players with high enough ceilings, failure to provide even remotely quality depth, failure to technically develop the players we did end up having. When we had Hudson Houck here developing players it sure didn't seem to be an issue that we weren't using premium picks on OL.

The issue here is that Norv is too nice and too loyal. Look how long it took him to can Steve Crosby when the man's unit literally cost us 3 games that would have been the difference between winning the division and not. When Rivera hired Wilkes (not that he was any prize) away what is Norv's solution for a replacement? The guy that Rivera just canned to replace. Now this isn't something that AJ can be blamed for (assistants being kept on too long or not being brought back), it's either Norv's inability to properly address pressing matters with his team or it's Spanos hamstringing him and refusing to pay off even assistant coaches' contracts if they're fired prematurely.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings Received:
    +190 / 1 / -0
    HUGE congrats to Gatesy.