1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Officially on the Donta Hightower Bandwagon

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Bolts4lyfe, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 18 / -3
    !

Good size and build…intelligent…knows his assignments well and has become a student of the game..agility has improved significantly after being more than a year removed from his knee injury…plus at shedding blocks from offensive linemen…very physical and aggressive can chase down faster quarterbacks…Scheme versatility (could play 4-3 in some NFL schemes probably better fit as a 34 LB)…plus blitzing skills…lays punishing hits…respected by his teammates for his leadership ability

He also Has the ability to rush the passer as an OLB or play inside
    And most importantly a team leader

I also see us Trading back to get him which will get us the ammo to shoot up for Smith

then If we had:

Hightower
    Smith
    Pass Rusher in the 3rd
    CB in the 4th
    OL,RB, DL with the other 4 picks

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 19 / -4
    I have a hard time believing he'll fall pass Pittsburgh much less Baltimore. He is very talented but i don't know where or how he'd fit in our group. We have a full house at ILB and quite a few already at OLB.

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Spikes is what? 75? :p

Seriously - Hightower would be a stud in this D. Not too many guys coming out of college with his experience in a 3-4. I've loved him long time. :D

4. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    I like how his highlight reel opens with 8 consecutive plays where the QB successfully got the ball off.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +225 / 1 / -1

LOL.

If we did trade down and pick up Hightower I wouldn't be massively disappointed because at least it's us getting a decent player and an extra pick, and at least it isn't AJ wasting it on the most pointless selection possible or a second round prospect in the middle of the first round.

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    But could you see if they were completed? Pressure can be just as successful as a sack.

7. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 18 / -3

Exactly Our Pass Rushers had a hard time last year even getting a whiff of the opposing QB's, just imagine if an ILB could help apply pressure as well

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    You're absolutely right, and no, I couldn't see whether they were completed. I just found it interesting that they put 8 plays together to open the reel where the QB avoided the sack. I have no idea what Hightower's capabilities are to be honest, but if he's an elite playmaker in the middle of the field then I wouldn't be disappointed if we drafted him, especially if we traded down first.

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Elite? That may, in all honesty, be overstating his abilities right now. He could well get there. But steady, hard-working, productive, instinctive, & a leader? Yeah, I think he has ALL of that in spades. I was really high on him before he got injured & it appears that he made it all the way back from that.

Spikes would take him under his wing & create a monster. :tup:

10. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +324 / 1 / -0
    Watching games,and tape of Hightower. He reminds me of another Alabama ILB that came out in recent years
    . Demeco Ryans. Leader, Exceptional instincts, Great tackler, and a student of his craft.

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 19 / -4
    Hope he's better in a 3-4 than Ryans was

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Since that's what Alabama has run as their primary scheme during his entire time there, I believe he will be.

I'd certainly take Hightower over Barron, regardless of our need at safety.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 18 / -3
    When People ask why Pittsburgh and Baltimore are so good on defense, I like to think its because they draft players lie Hightower

14. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    I'd say it's because they draft aggressive A-type defenders with lots of high round selection, and haven't really missed on very many of them in the last 10-15 years. Also, they've had some wildly talented DCs forever.

15. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 19 / -4
    ILB/OLB is not of greater need right now than safety, and Barron is a very good strong safety

16. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    Isn't Barron exactly the kind of SS we don't need? He's big and athletic, yes, but isn't man coverage, which is our greatest need from a SS, his worst skill set?

The team needs to acquire a talent at safety, but getting one that doesn't do what we need him to do isn't a fantastic way to advance our talent pool.

17. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 19 / -4
    I would note that Barron was successful when asked to cover in his junior year, his senior year he wasn't asked to cover as much. Furthermore it looks like he can cover most tight ends even man to man, he just can't cover many slot receivers, but that's why you have a nickel corner

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    The drop-off from Barron to H.Smith is minimal. Barron gets a bunch of hype because he plays in the SEC for a powerhouse. Put him on the ND team where he isn't surrounded by talent & see how he looks.

Barron is rated the #1 safety this year because of a weak safety class, NOT because he's such a standout.

19. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 18 / -3
    All I know is The first pick The Chargers will make will most likely be an Alabama player

Hightower, Barron, Upshaw, Kirkpatrick

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
  21. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    He looks like a very intense player, but I'd hope we wait till it's our turn, see who's available, and then possibly move back to 22nd before selecting Hightower. I imagine that he can be had as long as we stay ahead of Pittsburgh.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 19 / -4
    Interesting note; what happens with Poe and Hightower on the board for pittsburgh? They are even more desperate than we were two years ago for a nose tackle. That might be more important than an ILB like Hightower

23. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Agreed

24. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    I think they'd take Poe & let him learn for a year under Hampton's tutelage. They can find LB'ers - Pittsburgh always has LB'ers. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    I don't see Poe getting past Pittsburgh either, but where he goes is a diceroll. I don't think teams are looking at Poe and saying, "Haloti Ngata". He's had so many articles written about him lately trying to guess where he's going to go simply because it's such a question mark as a result of his amazing combine and complete lack of college production. Pittsburgh definitely needs to address the NT position. The question is whether they would see Poe as a better player than Hightower, because I don't think the Steelers draft need.

26. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Hard to say. I'd take Poe for their team. They have the discipline in that squad to get the most from him.

For us, I'd have to go Hightower. He's already a hard worker & established player.

27. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +324 / 1 / -0
    Not a big fan if Poe nor Fletcher Cox....just saying.

28. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    OK, that's it.

You're grounded, young man. :devilish:

29. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +324 / 1 / -0
    Hahaha oh hell.....I mean...I love Poe, and Fletcher Cox!! Future HOF's!!!!! Lmao!

30. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 19 / -4
    You yellow bellied spineless gutless lil chicken! :-p

Cox idk enough about honestly, Poe is flash but little substance. Falls far enough though he'd be worth the pick.