1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

ok im bored and got to thinking

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by charger1993, Jun 26, 2013.

1. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings Received:
    +72 / 10 / -2
    In next years draft, just say we have pick 11 same as this year. And all The top OT's are gone, who would you draft. Not knowing how the rookies from this draft class is going to pan out.
    I say Sammy Watkins WR Clemson. But thats only my pick if The top Ot's are gone
  2. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +72 / 10 / -2
    No thoughts???
  3. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    Well I would take Marqise Lee over Watkins if they are both there. However with us taking Keenan Allen this year I don't think WR will be an immediate need next year. With that said I would say Anthony Barr if he is there, Louis Nix III, Bradley Roby, or maybe Christian Jones.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    I don't think all the top OTs will be gone by pick 11 next year unless it's just a very weak draft class for OTs (which I honestly don't know if it is or not)

This year was an anomaly because offensive tackles dominated the draft pool while just about every other position was very weak.

Besides, I may be wearing bolt color glasses here, but I think we'll be picking lower than 11th.
  5. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    The difference between this year and last is last year there were 3 players who we knew could play LT, this year there will be 5 or 6.

Right now, today I would say CB is my biggest concern but depending on how well Shareece Wright holds down that 2nd CB spot, and also can both Cox and Wright stay healthy.

Until the season officially begins we won't know what our biggest area of need will be,
    As far as WR that may be the last position we need, I still see Brown and Allen as our future wr's

Our top 3 likely spots would be OT, OLB, CB
  6. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings Received:
    +402 / 8 / -0
  7. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +72 / 10 / -2
    I mean i just got to thinking, and looking at the roster, while WR isnt a huge need, if the OT's are gone, we need a pass rusher and the best one is arguably off the board within the first 2 picks. I like watkins because of his explosion, his return ability, his hands, hes just dangerous. Obviously i want jake mathews next year if we can get him, who i would draft in the first round, and this is just my opinion. here's my top ten with OT's
    1. Jake Mathews OT texas A &M
    2. Anthony Barr OLB ucla
    3. Taylor Lewan OT Michigan
    4. Sammy watkins WR Clemson
    5.Cyril Richardson OG Baylor
    6.Marqisee LEe WR USC
    7.Christian Jones OLB Florida state
    8.Travis Swanson C Arkansas
    9.Gabe Jackson OG Miss State
    10.Ladarius Perkins Rb miss state.
  8. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +72 / 10 / -2
    on another not can we draft this dude just because this has to be the most difficult name ever. Owamagbe Odighizuwa
  9. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +316 / 1 / -0

Please tell me that you just forgot to add Clowney to this list. Because I am going to question everything you know about football if you don't have him in the top 10. Just saying.
  10. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +72 / 10 / -2
    he's in my top ten, but i couldn't bring myself to put him down. My favorite college is Clemson, South Carolina is our arch rival, i couldn't do it, its blasphemy to my college team
  11. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I stand by not pigeonholing ourselves into having to take a particular position. If a player with elite upside at a position where we don't present have a player in place with either similar upside or an already-established high-level performer then anything's fair game.

I'm comfortable with any number of guys in the 1st right now because of their upside: Bradley Roby, Antonio Richardson (has far more upside than Jake Matthews - who I think will be good but likely not "great"), Louis Nix, Kyle Van Noy, Ife Ekpre-Olomu, Anthony Barr, Trent Murphy (being criminally underrated right now because Barr broke out in the same conference), Cyrus Kouindjo (he's going to break out this year and honestly has a better ceiling than Lewan does), Travis Swanson (sorry Big Nick, but if there's a polished OC prospect with a high ceiling, yours is an expendable roster spot)...
  12. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,100 / 34 / -21

Okay now what do you think about Aaron Lynch? You think he can move to 3-4 OLB? If he can he'd skyrocket up my board, from about early 2nd round to maybe Anthony Barr level.
  13. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I wouldn't go to Anthony Barr level unless he has a Von Miller type combine. Athleticism is only one part of the equation and guys like Miller, Watt, and Smith had all demonstrated positional diversity while in college AND showed phenomenal athleticism in drills.

I think Lynch can play OLB, but if he simply shows that he's capable of it in drills and tests equivalent to say Ryan Kerrigan, I don't see him cracking the Top 10 unless he has a bonafide Heisman campaign (which is going to be particularly difficult given that USF isn't going to get the requisite wins to have him in consideration as a defensive player). Top 15 candidate, sure. Top 5-10? Not likely. Then again, there's a part of me that would be highly tempted to take Kyle Van Noy over Anthony Barr. Barr has awesome upside, but he's also got flaws to his game and is just learning the position (and I still have serious questions about his instincts - which without them he'll nullify a lot of his natural athleticism). Van Noy isn't a fantastic athlete, but he's more than passable and his instincts and ability to always be in the right place at the right time is rather freaky.
  14. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +118 / 4 / -1

Yeah, Van Noy isn't the pass rusher that Barr could be and Van Noy is still pretty light at only like 235. I'd love to have Lynch here if we're picking right around 15, i think him or Van Noy would be a good fit for us, great athletes, very good pass rushers. I'm also really interested to see how Ronald Powell returns, as he's in that same mold as a great pass rushing OLB candidate, as long as he can come back well from that ACL inury.

Also LBC what do you think about Casey Pachall. I feel like he could be an interesting guy for Rivers to mentor?
  15. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    You know me. I'm not the biggest advocate of the QB mentoring program (unless all you're looking for is a perennial backup) or building around any QB not drafted in the 1st round. Statistics just support far too greatly that QB's drafted outside the 1st round in the modern draft era just have such a significantly less likelihood of success - and the league simply isn't (and may never) be saturated with enough young-to-late-prime franchise QB's to change that. If we move on from Rivers because he just doesn't have it anymore then we're likely going to be picking high enough to grasp at (or make a move for) one of the top QB prospects the following year (and SHOULD do whatever it takes to get one as the current game is crafted in such a way that if you have a high-end QB it is considerably easier to make the playoffs and hoist the Lombardi than without). If we move on from Rivers because he is getting towards the point where retirement is a likely option for him, then you either spend a 1st or 2nd round pick on a falling QB prospect, give him a year under Rivers, then see what you've got. But ultimately if Rivers does get it back together and we do go back to finding success with him, the more likely situation is that when he hangs them up we're going to have to endure a season or two (or more) of mediocrity at best while we're trying to end up in a position to draft a franchise-caliber QB prospect... barring the highly unlikely scenario of a "Peyton Manning" type free agent coming available and Dean being willing to open up the checkbook.
  16. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +118 / 4 / -1
    I agree with that, but the way i look at it is that we, more than likely, will need a backup QB in the near future, and Pachall definitely has starting talent. Similar to what the Patriots did with Mallett, getting a guy who is a better talent than where he will be drafted and let him sit behind Brady for quite a while, getting mentored etc. Worst case, is we have a solid backup QB, best case, we have a guy who can move into Rivers' spot when he's done and play well.

I agree that if we really want a true replacement, 1st round is where we're going to have to look when Rivers is done. And yeah, we're probably going to need to suck up a year or two of real bad play from our team to replace Rivers correctly. But say now Rivers has a above average, maybe even great season this year, he's still and aging QB, and after this year, he will be without a backup (unless Sorenson really pans out into a very good backup). Taking a Guy like Pachall as a high upside player who is trying to turn it around in his personal life. As a player, if you dont look at all the off the field stuff, for me he's boarderline 1st rounder, with it, he's probably all the way down to a 5th rounder. And his problems were strictly off the field, but on the field, he almost mirrors Rivers intensity and fire, and can get a little over-heated, which makes me think Rivers would be a great mentor for him.
  17. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +118 / 4 / -1
    I'm confused as to what your asking...

Are you basically saying that every rookie other than the OT's (and obvious Teddy/Clowney, possibly Barr) is still on the board, who do you pick. And its hard for me because my definition of "top OT" is different than most people's, as i have Tiny Richardson as my top OT for the Chargers at least.
  18. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +72 / 10 / -2
    I'm saying right now from the stand point of the team who do you draft if you're the GM. I obviously want Jake Mathews as top priority, i then have Cyrus Kouandjio. Then Sammy watkins as 3rd. People think im crazy for not wanting clowney, But unless we move to a 3-4 idk where he fits, a 6 ft 7 OLB?? So in a nut shell im asking who do you draft with your projected pick for this team
  19. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +118 / 4 / -1
    Clowney's 6'5", he's listed at 6'6", there is zero chance he's 6'7". He's such a freak athlete that it doesn't really matter what scheme your in. We basically run a 4-3 Under (which is VERY similar to a 1 gap 3-4 with some players shaded differently). Which allows the Rush LB/Predator/Leo/etc to rush either out of a 2 or 3 pt stance. If we got Clowney, he would be more than fine.

For us, i have Tiny Richardson and Kouandjio as the two top OT's, then Matthews, and then Lewan. I'm not a fan of Watkins all that much. If we're picking that high, we'll need a QB, so its probably Bridgewater and then Clowney are my top players. Then Barr and after that its kind of a crap shoot. Roby, Nix, Richardson, Kouandjio and Watkins are somewhere in there, not sure what order.
  20. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +72 / 10 / -2
    im not a fan of bridgewater at all, i do not see him as a quarterback of the future, more of a dennis dixon. I think we will have a top ten pick, most likely pick 8. I really want mathews and Kouandjio, but i like watkins for his play making ability, hes cj spiller on crack, he has phenomenal hands, and great separation. I think if we did draft him, VB, Keenan Allen, and watkins would be a dangerous combo for years, this is a rebuilding team, i see a lot of pieces i like coming up in future drafts.
  21. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +118 / 4 / -1
    Teddy IS Aaron Rodgers...He's one of the better pure pocket passers to come out in a while, with the ability to run. He's not a running QB...at all.

Mathews is meh. He's a solid LT, but he's light (has to be smaller than 305 IMO, and is probably 6'4"), and rarely ever gets movement. He has a great anchor, but is a ZBS tackle. Joe D' has a history of going for bigger, more athletic OL, not smaller guys. Thats why i target Kouandjio and preferably Richardson.

Watkins is absolutely nothing like Spiller. Maybe similar speed/explosiveness. I just dont think he's really special. I'll think he'll be a good maybe very good receiver. But if i'm looking at a receiver top 5, he's gotta have EVERYTHING (Megatron/Fitz), Watkins is good, but not elite IMO. I'd take Barr, Richardson, Kouandjio, Clowney, Bridgewater among a couple others that i cant think of off the top of my head.
  22. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +231 / 22 / -3
    Love this topic, but just realized, I wanna talk about this years team.
  23. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +72 / 10 / -2
    This tgread is just for opinions on this years team as the season progress's to see the differnet views by each person on the forums. To see who everyone wants, and to see whose on the same page and who has a different opinion
  24. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,678 / 44 / -26
    Another Larry English...... you can never have enough Larry Englishes on your team. ;)
  25. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +72 / 10 / -2
    One of em is bound to get a sack eventually lol
  26. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +231 / 22 / -3
    ooo site got a revamp it looks like.

I sorry, i figured you all would all kno im very into this topic but just short of time to read and divulge my opinion. Dont let me derail a topic I will deffinatly be back to when I can.
  27. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +72 / 10 / -2
    post back whenever. I wanna hear opinions. Lol
  28. daygoboy6191

daygoboy6191 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree if were picking that high we will probably be picking a QB. Which means we cut or trade Rivers. If we could trade Rivers for a 3rd that would be awesome. I also think that Gates has to put up a good statistical season, because from what I seen last year his head wasn't always in the game. I feel Green can be the starter at TE for us, will he be able to do what gates did a few years back I doubt it, but I don't think Gates can do that at this point either and with the amount of money he makes it might be better suited to cut or trade gates and help rebuild this team.

I think TT and MM want to bring in their own players, and not have to sign band aids, and in order to undo a lot of AJ's mistakes you need to have the financial flexibility. Guys like Meachem, Royal, Clary, and possibly Floyd are all playing for jobs on this team next year, and if we finish in the top 10 in the draft I can see those guys being let go, and like I said earlier that may include Rivers, and Gates.
  29. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    #DukeJohnson
  30. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +72 / 10 / -2
    not gonna lie duke was impressive in that game, ill definately will be watchin him more