1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

ok im bored and got to thinking

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by charger1993, Jun 26, 2013.

1. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    In the 2nd or 3rd round, sure. I may feel the need to set fire to Telescopo's office if he spends a 1st round pick on an RB.

Also, I'm starting to take a real shine to Christian Jones. Not necessarily someone that will blow you away, but he does a lot of technical things extremely well and still has plenty of room to grow. If we went OL in the 1st for the 2nd year in a row, he would be a 2nd round OLB I'd have a lot of trouble passing on unless someone like Troy Murphy or Khalil Mack (I seriously love this kid!) fell.
  2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,104 / 34 / -21
    Obviously I agree, but I think some real resources should be spent on acquiring a good #2 back to backup RM. Meaning as high as a 3rd rounder, or maybe trying to bag a guy like Ben Tate in the offseason.
  3. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
    Even though the Chargers season hasn't officially started I think realistically our draft position with be in the middle order somewhere @ 15, leaving us out of the running of Clowney, Bridgewater sweepstakes.

Obviously we need to go into the draft with a BPA mentality but I still believe we need to lock up the LT position first and foremost. But I also think it might be a good time to consider life after PR (no I don't think he's declining, and no I don't think we should get rid of him, I just don't want us to caught with our pants down, if and when that time comes)

If the opportunity presents itself I wouldn't mind getting a guy Tajh Boyd to develop behind PR. I don't believe Brad Sorenson will be anything more than a decent back up but its time to think of the future.

Rounds 3-7 is time to build O line (C, and OG) and defensive depth (OLB, CB)

As far a RB goes, if RM has another bad year (which I feel he'll meet or exceed his 2011 stats) I think it'll be time to consider getting a better look at Fozzy. Just like my feelings were last year at the RB position, I feel we can stand PAT for another season or two. Minus a few tweaks here and there, I feel depth is our biggest weakness,

If Liuget, Butler, and Reyes take another step forward, Ingram comes back healthy and lives up to the hype we drafted him to be as one of the most dominant pass rushers, Wright and Cox play well, and if T'eo just plays to his potential with not a lot of mistakes, we are good for a long time.

Offensively, O line still a concern, our WR's are a bit of unkown while I do have high hopes with VB to develop into a number 1 along the lines to what Antonio Brown is in (Pitt) I think Keenan needs to get a little stronger and can become what (Q) was in AZ. Ladarius Green has left me feeling breezy for life after Gates, again not quite there but not far off either. Sure I'm optimistic the season hasn't started yet;)

I hope our 2014 draft looks like

QB Tajh Boyd: Clemson I don't think the read option is a trend, I think it's here to stay and I think Boyd has the talent to be a threat with his arm and his legs. He is also reportedly a great teammate and hard worker. (2 things McCoy and Telesco love)

OT James Hurst: North Carolina This is my sleeper tackle and have a fear he's going to move up quicker than Fisher last year, I ust hope Lewan, Mathews, Kouandjio can keep him off the radar. Other guy I like Antonio Richardson.

CB Andre Hal: Vanderbilt like Pete Carrolle I have been saying for years, "why aren't there more tall, lanky 6ft + CB's in the NFL covering guys like Megatron and Julio?" Last year Hal had 48 tackles, 14 passes broken up, and 2 INT's last year. VB does a good job Grooming DB's for the NFL
    DE/OLB Chaz Sutton: South Carolina Playing behind a stacked D line w/ Clowney, Taylor, Ingram. Sutton didn't have much playing time. He has 25 tackles, 7 of them for loss, 1 pass broken up, 1 forced fumble, and 5 sacks last year. This year I think he'll make a name for himself

OC Russell Bodine: North Carolina Playing next to Cooper last year, they were pretty dominant at both pass and the run. It'll be interesting to see how he'll do without Coop this year. Just like Rivers its time to start thinking about life after Hardwick

WR/KR Jalen Saunders: Oklahoma This is more a throw in, but we need a kick returner and this dude is quick.

OG Tyler Evans: Oklahoma Same more of a throw in, but anyone who will replace Jeromy Clary is a friend of mine,

Yeah I know its way too early
  4. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings Received:
    +72 / 10 / -2
  5. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +316 / 1 / -0

If we draft Tajh Boyd I am going to puke.
  6. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +72 / 10 / -2
    if we get near pick 15 itd be a good pick
  7. TheAutumnWind

TheAutumnWind BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Who cares who they draft. they'll disappoint you in 2014 as well. and 75% of Qualcomm will be full of the other team's fans.
  8. LT-Express

Ratings Received:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    Lol no....it wouldn't. You made a comparison earlier in the thread that Bridgewater was the next Dennis Dixon. Tajh Boyd is a better comparison.
  9. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +72 / 10 / -2
    dont be so down. we knew that we were gonna lose the game. and most likely havr a losing season. this is a rebuilding team. there were positives to take away from this game
  10. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +72 / 10 / -2
    i said he could be yhe next dennis dixon. dixon had alot of hype coming out of college playing for Oregon high octane offense. boyd i see easier to mold. boyd could be a doug flutie
  11. LT-Express

Ratings Received:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    So are you saying you would spend a top 15 pick on a guy who's ceiling is Doug Flutie?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
    I hate to compare apples to oranges but, I see Boyd as a Russell Wilson Clone
  13. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +72 / 10 / -2
    anything at this point
  14. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Mike Evans.

Huge performance against Bama. Reminds me of a Vincent Jackson type player.
  15. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +72 / 10 / -2
    u think hes 1st round worthy
  16. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    We'll see how it plays it out. Right now, he is pretty damn consistent with 6+ receptions in the first 3 games. 7 receptions and 279 yards, a TD, against arguably the best defense in the country is something else.
  17. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +72 / 10 / -2
    yea he'll be a player to watch. has anyone seen anthony barr?? i dnt see him getting sacks alot
  18. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings Received:
    +402 / 8 / -0
    right now
    1) CB
    2) OLB (would be first but Ingram will come back)
    3) LT (I have hope in Dunlap, the system and Becton as a project)
    4) RB
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. LT-Express

Ratings Received:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    1) Olb - OLB would have to be first in my book. A good pass rush can make average cb's look above average.

2) LT - We need to upgrade this line. I hoping to eat crow here but all of these guys right now are over achieving.

3) RG - Clary has been above average, and played through injuries thus far. However, history has shown us where his ceiling is.

4). CB - Cox, Wright. Enough said.
  20. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Becton, aside from the penalty against the Raiders, actually looked really good. Could be a surprise project right there.

I don't know if I'd go RB in the 4th, this team needs another OG, seeing how Rinehart is a free agent after this year, or a C to fill Hardwick's shoes.

This team needs atleast a LT and OG in this draft, because the run blocking is terrible, I'm holding out for Troutman and Fluker to be RT and RG starters next year.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +118 / 4 / -1
    Look at past Joe D OL's. He's gotten his players to overachieve consistently. He's a coach with a type, he likes a certain type of player. In that scheme, he's never had an elite LT (traded away Peters as soon as he's got there), but has made VERY good OL's (Turned the Bills into a top 5-10 OL in 2 years with a 2nd round pick at LT who many people called a OG/RT prospect only). Like LBC has said before, it looks like, Joe D has put together a scheme were mechanics and chemistry trumps talent, and he can fit a specific type of player into the scheme, even if said player isn't too highly thought of in other camps, or by other people. I'm actually one person to believe that Dunlap is a solid option for at least another year or two, he's played great. That chemistry reallly showed this past week, throwing in our 3rd string LT, and he didn't miss a beat. I would prefer a little better depth, but i'm not entirely worried about it, we've been excellent in pass pro this year. Many people have decided to dismiss our play this year, and use reputations of players from previous seasons to judge what we need.

That being said, SC92, I prefer to keep Troutman on the left and get more of a mauling type at RG, possibly getting a smart player and a leader at C this year or next. Troutman has played almost exclusively on the Left, in college and with us. He's more of a good technical, and great awareness type that works in this scheme, but isn't the run blocker that you would want at RG. He's definitely a better pass blocker than he is a run blocker.

I have pass rush, and possibly depending on how the Coaches see it, CB as needs over any OL. If we think that our CB's are fine with a pass rush, then just going for an OLB that works for me too. I could even debate NT is above that too.

How i have it right now...

1. OLB
    2. CB/NT
    3. NT (if not on there before)
    4. OG
    5. LT

I'm a big proponent of going for BPA. I would love to see a guy like Louis Nix free up some of the outside pass rushers, but if a guy like Barr drops, or possibly Mack if he keeps up his play and tests well is there, or even Bradley Roby, despite some bad play this year, I would debate taking them as well over the OT's (Only OT i'm a big fan of for us is Antonio Richardson, dont like Matthews as a fit, and Lewan/Kouandjio aren't overly impressive to me), and there's no OG i'd take in the first as of now. David Yankee is the closed thing that i see, but he's more of a pure LG, former OT, great technician, and more of an athletic pass blocker than he is a stronger run blocker. Cyril Richardson seems like more of a Louis Vasquez type, where he's big and strong as all hell, but not really a mauler, and a solid pass blocker because of scheme. The only one that i really like is La'El Collins, but i dont think he comes out, and if he does, i think he goes high.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    I've been loving the way Troutman has played. Especially against the Cowboys where he showed he could get to the 2nd level in run blocking. But, I do agree he's a better fit at LG than RG.

I love David Yankey, very versatile and perfect fit here. I agree that Matthews isn't a fit, but I think we could work with Lewan and Kouandjio, not saying there a good fit, but I think Joe D could work with them. And also, I like Cyril Richardson and Antonio Richardson, I believe there perfect for this scheme as well.

I like Gabe Jackson at RG as well and also a guy that could go under the radar, is Brandon Thomas.

At C my favorite candidate is Travis Swanson.
  23. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +118 / 4 / -1
    Gabe Jackson is good at RG, but i'm not sure how well he fits the scheme. This scheme calls for smart, technical and physical RG's (even Clary, technique is decent, but he's a very physical player and can run block). I dont like Cyril because of the big guy stereotype. He doesn't fit the system just like Vasquez didn't, he's a really big, strong guy who doesn't play to his strength in the run game. Yankey is very reminiscent of a taller version of Levitre, but again, he seems like a LG only type to me, not the physical type you want to see at RG. I wish Wisconsin had some big OG's in this year's draft class, those guys are perfect for Joe D's scheme (see how Ubrik fit in at RG in Buff). I'll have to see more of Jackson, but he seems like more of a strait power blocking mauler rather than a guy you want in a power zone, whos big, but has the lateral agility to move and a guy who will have great chemistry with the OL.
  24. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    It's way too early for this, but I'm bored as well, no class today would amount to this.

1. Kyle Van Noy OLB, BYU - A playmaker off the edge, all around playmaker in the 3-4 OLB.
    2. Travis Swanson C, Arkansas - Can kick to OG until Hardwick's deal is up.
    3. Justin Gilbert CB, Oklahoma State - NFL ready, plays in pass happy conference.
    4. Beau Allen NT, Wisconsin - Just made transition this year to NT, looks excellent.
    5. Austin Wentworth OT, Fresno State - Natural LT ability, shut down Dion Jordan last year.
    6. Shaq Evans WR, UCLA - Good mix of size and speed for the NFL.
    7. Michael Dyer RB, Louisville - Having a pretty good season after a year off.
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  25. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +225 / 8 / -3
    Fuller is Virginia Tech, not Virginia. Big difference when you're talking the quality of DB's that come from those schools.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Ah yes, totally zoned that out, it was a quick list put together didn't even look it over.
  27. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +72 / 10 / -2
    after watching our games multiple times on the dvr. i came the the realization we will end up with pick 12 -15. with current projections i say we trade back to the 20th- 25th pick. and take c. kujandario LT alabama. pick up an extra 2nd. and take the olb from texas. and a cb.
  28. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    *EDITED*
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  29. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    People want to compare him to VJax because he's Johnny's "throw it up there and let him go get it" guy, but Evans ultimately doesn't have VJ's get-up-and-go. People seem to forget that VJax was a legit low 4.4's speedster who fell to the 2nd round because he had questionable hands, couldn't run a full route-tree, and was coming out of an FCS school. Also, people are intent on comparing current prospects to players currently playing in the league.

Mike Evans compares way more favorably to David Boston as a prospect. Now that's not necessarily a bad thing as Boston as a prospect had a ton of potential to be a very good player (sadly, when we invested in that trade for him he was pretty much worth what we gave up) - he just failed to meet and maintain that potential over the long-haul of a career.
  30. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    To be fair, Ras-I Dowling was a damn good prospect... he could just never stay healthy (as a collegian or a pro). But I agree, for the most part, though VT has had as many DB busts as booms... and I'm still bitter over us taking Cason over Brandon Flowers. Buck (wherever he disappeared to) still lords that over me.