1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

One Gigantic Main Forum

Discussion in 'Forum Help and Feedback' started by MtlBoltsFan, Aug 29, 2006.

?

Should Thumper turn this into one gigantic main forum?

1. Yes, that's a great idea.

60.0%
  2. No, I like the board the way it is.

40.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings Received:
    +323 / 3 / -0
    Ok here is my reasoning from a PM to Thumper a while ago:

Yup what I envisioned here is one giant forum and then a forum for the podcast, and even a link IN the main forum browser (not a sticky thread) which links one to the bolttalk podcast section. For exposure it's really important to associate one with the other... use the podcast as a vehicle for the forums as much as possible and use the forums as a vehicle for the podcast as much as possible. I don't want to tell you how to run your site but I will just say this.... try to make things look as "active" as possible. This will attract external visitors. People love scrolling through one gigantic mishmash section. You'd be surprised at how by having sub-divisions, there are tons of threads people would have posted in but never ended up being exposed to, or are too lazy to check out. I mean christ we're living in countries with SPORKS. Organized doesn't equal accessible anymore, but sloppy now does. By having one gigantic forum you're in a way "forcing" people to be exposed to all the threads, in the same way that at a movie you are exposed to advertisements and if you see cola and popcorn on the big screen, you might just go purchase it at the concessions stand..... not to mention the board looks like it's moving REALLY fast with one giant section... and soon enough it actually WOULD be moving really fast.
  2. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +2,022 / 0 / -0
    I like the idea to an extent but have difficulty with the concept of EVERYTHING being lumped together. It would make it hard to keep track of subjects like the draft, etc. It would also lend itself to some repetition.

Not ready to vote no or yes, just yet.... :icon_shrug:
  3. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings Received:
    +323 / 3 / -0
    Well that's the thing, I am not suggesting for absolutely everything to be mashed together. The podcast would have its own section for CR and his crew and then there can be 1-3 additional sub forums (with no sub forums in these sub forums) like an "archive" section which a lot of boards use and is VERY popular (in which "classic" threads are moved there so that they never die) and then an asylum/smack/XXX (ok maybe NC17) section for bashing the Raiders, arguments, wacky stories and dirty guy stuff :icon_mrgreen:
  4. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings Received:
    +1,467 / 0 / -0
    :trout: :trout: :trout:
  5. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings Received:
    +323 / 3 / -0
    Middle ground doesn't work as much as I would like it to. It's all or nothing. The purpose of my proposition is to help the website grow and at the same time be more user friendly by maximizing accesibility through eliminating unnecessary subdivisions. (L did you like that last line) :icon_mrgreen:
  6. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings Received:
    +1,467 / 0 / -0
    I don't mind doing that, but the I created the Asylum because a few posters wanted to push the boundries of what was acceptable to post. I gave them that area so they could have a little more leway without getting themselves banned. Now these same posters start a thread to tell me how to run this forum. It doesn't matter if I make one big forum, because it will just make someone else unhappy.

And before you preach to me about "your" concept. I understand it completely. Yes, less forums will make the place look busier and thus seem like more action is happening here. I have some plans to move in that direction, but if you want me to throw everything out the window and follow this thread starters idea, my suggestion is create your own forum with your own vision.

I think that a busier UT forum has more to do with football season starting, than leisure's revolation. Here, we've doubled in size from last month. This place is busy right now.

This website is constantly evolving. But it's a process, and hufe changes aren't just going to happen one day. I try to listen to what everyone has to say, not just a vocal few.
  7. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings Received:
    +1,467 / 0 / -0
    Big promotions are in the works. Listen to the podcast live tonight and you'll hear what I'm talking about. :yes:
  8. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings Received:
    +1,467 / 0 / -0
    Sorry jdog, I wasn't meaning that comment for you. It's just that MTL and leisure have brought this up with me so many times I'm a bit tired of it. When I said "your" concept. I was refering to leisure and MTL.
  9. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings Received:
    +323 / 3 / -0

You don't have to do anything it's just a reminder of a suggestion and I created a poll so people could disagree and post why for your benefit. I am simply telling you what I know for a fact, like leisure says; it's proven. Of course this website has doubled, leisure and I brought the whole mishbocha here :icon_shrug: And PS I haven't caused trouble in a long time and need no leeway... I only cause trouble when I am treated unfairly and have never thrown a first punch, ever. I won't bring the forum subject up again but it just so happens that people who don't take my advice now almost always end up taking it later...
  10. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,640 / 38 / -8
    Patients oh dark emperor if the evil mods....

Feedback is what we want, even when the feedback is not what we want. A good trout slap will make you smile again, go ahead, try it!:icon_tease:
  11. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,640 / 38 / -8
    Oh, the sticky thing again! Geee WILICKERS!!!!:icon_evil:

:icon_rofl:
  12. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,640 / 38 / -8
    The one big happy forum wont work and here is why:
    1) people want seperation of what they think is important and what other think is important. (e.g. one place to go to see Charger posts, one place for super sillius posts).
    2) Make a few happy, iritate the other few.
    3) A forum is what we make it. Its the people and the posts, not where the lounge is, or the bolthead cheer. Though the bolthead cheer is REALLY good!
    4) The format is not important IMO.
  13. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings Received:
    +1,467 / 0 / -0
    Dude, you are so full of your self. You think this website has doubled because you and leisure came over here. When you came over here, I got so many complaints and your jihaad against the UT forum made this website look really bad. I know for a fact, you drove posters away, yet you want to claim the increased traffic here as your doing? Damn dude, it must be some world you live in. Does the sun revolve around you too?

Would it be possible for you to credit the hard work ChargerRay, myself, the mods here, and many other dedicated posters have done to promote this site? Would it also be possible that football season is starting to heat up and that could be another reason for the increase in traffic. No, maybe it's just you and leisure that bring the traffic here. I guess I could test your theory. If you weren't here, would all the traffic go too. Hmmm.... I wonder? :icon_huh:

I don't think I'm going to have to try that test though. I can just look at referrals. MTL + leisure = 0 referrals. Thumper = 24 referrals. Yes, you guys bring so many to the website.
  14. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,640 / 38 / -8
    Ahhh... time to hide!
  15. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings Received:
    +1,467 / 0 / -0
    BTW- Bolthead cheer will stay in it's own forum. I have specified that forum not to be crawled by the internet spiders and bots. That is also why you must register to see it. I don't want bolttalk listed in any web lists that will restrict users access to the site. Corporate firewalls subscribe to these lists and bolthead cheer is enough to get this site blocked if it were mixed with other forums.

So that's not going to happen. I have some other ideas, and like I said this site will continue to evolve. Some will like it, some will not, but that's just the way it is.
  16. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +2,022 / 0 / -0
    If I understand this, the suggestion is to have

1 Chargers Forum
    1. Podcast Forum
    1. Lounge Forum
    1. Asylum Forum

Edit: Can't forget the Bolthead Cheer section.
  17. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings Received:
    +1,467 / 0 / -0
    I don't think this thread was started with constructive critisism in mind. I have been over this idea with MTL and leisure and they are trying to force my hand. Nothing more to see here. Thread is officially closed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.