1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

OT Taylor Lewan returns to Michigan

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by AnteaterCharger, Jan 9, 2013.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,423 / 19 / -4
  2. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Hurts us in the sense of one less top-rung tackle, but I've had Fisher above him on my big board for some time now - Lewan was getting hyped because of his "mean streak" but he has a lot of technical flaws (and I'm still not convinced he's a natural knee-bender which is crucial for success as a pro tackle). If things were reversed and Lewan was coming out of Central Michigan and Fisher out of Michigan - Fisher would be in consideration for a Top 5 pick and Lewan would likely be being billed as a "safe" 2nd round selection.
  3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21

What your basically saying is our LT situation will not improve this year. Unless we magically find some money to grab one of the over priced free agents.
  4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,423 / 19 / -4
    I'd be seriously thinking about trading back and targeting Lane Johnson from Oklahoma or Dallas Thomas from Tennessee
  5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    I'll be sick to my stomach of we spend a 1st on with of those players. Unless we pick up a 1st next year in the process of trading back.
  6. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,423 / 19 / -4
    At 11 I'd want Fishcer or Warmack or a really impressive defense talent. If we trade back I'd target those guys either late first or mid second
  7. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    So its settled BPA: Milliner, Pass Rusher, or if by some luck Fisher at 11
  8. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Nice thing is, I'm hearing from Arizona friends of mine that Keim is a pretty strong candidate to go BPA in the 1st round, so unless Fisher has an absolutely massive combine or someone trades ahead of us, he should still be there at 11.

Only hiccup could be if the Chiefs take Joeckel #1 overall, which I doubt because mediocre QB class or not, teams with the #1 overall still take a QB 99 times out of 100 in this rookie wage scale era. Eagles, I don't believe are as big of a threat to take an OT as others believe. Did their OL suck this year? Yes. Was that because Jason Peters was injured... and their backup plan Demetress Williams was too... and Todd Heremans (the #3 LT) was as well? Yes. They return vets on their OL that actually should make it decent again. But I'm figuring they could still look to Joeckel.

Detroit's invested a high pick in a future LT. Tennessee has quality bookends. The Bills have their LTotF. Browns have Joe Thomas. Jets have bigger needs (and D'Brickashaw fresh off a recent, fat extension). Biggest threat may actually be Miami trading up above us, but they seem to like Jonathan Martin at LT.
  9. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Just about an rookie LT is going to struggle off the bat. Even Joe Thomas and Matt Kalil had adaptation periods (they were just shorter than most because they were elite prospects).

That said, our LT situation would improve with even average play and we can get that by midseason, or a little sooner, from a guy like Fisher (possibly even from Dallas Thomas, whose floor is higher than Lane Johnson's, I just think Thomas has a higher ceiling at guard - not unlike Cordy Glenn) and we can buy that guy time in the meanwhile by keeping a TE home to chip for him.

But I'll be blunt, there's no LT in this draft class that's going to likely come in and play at a high level from Day One, because there's no elite tackle prospect in this draft. Even Joeckel has some noteworthy flaws (struggles with power-guys that I've seen thus far and let's guys into his pads more easily than I'd prefer). As does Fisher (he recovers exceedingly well, but he can tend to concede the edge off the snap more often than you'd like).
  10. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    I see it like this,

Kansas City - QB/DL
    Jacksonville - QB/OLB
    Oakland - DL/LB
    Philadelphia - OL
    Detroit - DL
    Cleveland - DL/CB
    Arizona - QB/OL
    Buffalo - Trade
    NYJ - OLB
    Tennessee - DL/OL (Need is OG)
    San Diego - OL

Buffalo will trade back and gain picks, I see them trading back into the 20 range and they'll select QB Ryan Nassib, Doug Marrone worked with him, he has a 2nd round value, but Buffalo wants a franchise QB, and Fitzpatrick isn't the answer. So in a way, this is a win win for them.

Unfortunately both Philadelphia and Arizona need help on the OL. Any mainly at OT, so I see Joeckel and Fisher being gone. Which leaves us with Lane Johnson, Kyle Long, Dallas Thomas, or Justin Pugh at LT, who are all reaches.

This is tough, I don't know what were gonna do, but I don't wanna trade up and lose picks this year.
  11. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    You're assuming everyone drafts for straight need... and many GM's just plain don't do that - they'll take the BPA in the 1st regardless of need.

So really you're looking at:
    KC - QB (very distant chance they take OL, but QB is pretty much a lock)
    JAX - QB or DL (they won't go to 3-4, so Moore or Werner would still be a DE in their scheme and they only don't go QB if they bring in Tebow as a side-show ticket-seller)
    OAK - DL/CB
    PHI - CB/OL/DL
    DET - BPA (Mayhew has always stuck to this since he's been GM)
    CLE - DL/LB/Trade Back
    ARI - BPA (Again, Keim is a strict BPA drafter)
    BUF - QB/WR (Hiring Marrone is almost a dead giveaway that Buddy Nix is going QB in the 1st; wouldn't be shocked to see them at least try and jump Arizona via Cleveland)
    NYJ - OLB/RB (someone's always dumb enough to take an RB in the Top 10 - thus far the Jets have yet to land a smart GM candidate - prime candidate here)
    TEN - DL/S (if Warmack does go inside the Top 10 he goes at one of these latter two picks)

And I agree that Marrone may well be dead set on Nassib, but if he is then they're not going to risk trading back. Despite the fact that fans think that's how they should operate, that's not how front offices think. If they have the chance to get the guy that's at the top of their list, especially at a position as crucial as QB, they take him and don't look the gift horse in the mouth.
  12. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    Ugh, this is not going to help our chances of getting Fisher.
  13. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Yeah I like your list better. But, you don't think Oakland will go ILB, not at 3 but trade with a team like Buffalo who will jump a few spots if they see a guy they like? Also, Raiders most likely losing McClain (arrested again, and dispute with Allen), and Manti Te'o might look promising to them.. But they definitely need a DL, there aging quick and were very ineffective this year.
  14. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    If Al were still there they'd go ILB, but Reggie McKenzie isn't a dope... and, as the NC game showed, Mant'i Te'o isn't worth a Top 5-10 pick.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    He never was LBC.

Now that we got that out of the way, I'm going to dig into some more Lane Johnson tape and try to see what I want to see to justify a 1st round pick.
  16. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    I wanted to watch his tape against Notre Dame, so if you come across it let me know, I know he sprained his ankle in that game. But, anyways, if Eric Fisher is off the board at 11, I say we trade back and select Lane. Kid's very athletic, 6-6, 303 lbs. It's only his second year playing on the OL, he was a QB and TE prior. I watched his tape vs. Texas and he had Jeffcoat the whole game and didn't allow a sack.
  17. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Lane Johnson going in the 1st round is going on pure potential, athleticism, and attitude - really similar to Nate Solder. The guy isn't an overly impressive run-blocker, but he was effective at the college level in a major college conference (and not one known for undersized DL and LB's) - at least as effective as Joeckel was (and Joeckel's the one getting all the "sure-fire" Top 5 pick fluff). And he needs his technique cleaned up (who doesn't these days?). But like Solder, he's a guy that has all the tools that as long as a quality OL coach gets a hold of him to clean up that technique and he adds 15 pounds or so (definitely has the frame for it) of muscle over the course of his first season and a half, he can be one of those 10+ year starters. Will he be Joe Thomas? No. Can he be Matt Light? Certainly.

Watch a completely under the radar guy if/when he gets an invite to the combine in Manase Foketi. He's coming out of West Texas A&M this year because he still had a year of eligibility after getting his degree from Kansas State (and performing at premature 2nd to 3rd round tackle stock) and in his final year at K-State he went down with an Achilles injury. So not wanting to give up on playing pro or enter the draft not being able to workout for teams, he went to WTA&M for a year and flat out dominated fools. Now this is really just an example, not a suggested substitution as Foketi projects better to play RT at the next level. But it's an example of someone who very likely (even though he's not that high on certain draftnik big boards) will end up going around the 4th round based off ceiling still left and potential to be quite good at an important position if the Achilles injury checks out.
  18. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    Agree with this, I really liked what I saw in the Texas game. He does a good job getting to the 2nd level, he's a good run blocker, and a solid pass blocked although he gets beat by the rip move a little to often. Also liked to see him playing on both sides to get some time against Okafor. I think at minimum he becomes one of the better RTs in the league... Reminds me of Gabe Carimi at this point. Hopefully healthier. Not quite a top 20 player though. Still got WVU and K-state game to watch.