1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

OTA's

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Buck Melanoma, May 30, 2012.

1. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Chargers kick off OTAs

Posted 7 hours ago
    By Scott Yoffe

http://www.chargers.com/news/article-1/Chargers-kick-off-OTAs/9bc81af7-1004-46f4-96c0-96df1acbef96

The lack of contact did nothing to dampen the high spirits and aggressiveness as the Chargers took the field for first day of Phase III – the first official Organized Team Activity (OTA) – of the team’s offseason program.

“Not if you love football,” said quarterback Philip Rivers[​IMG]. “At every level, you’d have Spring ball in high school, you had Spring ball in college, it’s Spring ball. As you progress toward training camp, it’s what we’ve always done.”

Officially coined Organized Team Activities, the Chargers will hold 10 such voluntary practices over the next three weeks and they will be followed by the team’s mandatory mini camp in June that will officially conclude offseason preparations for the 2012 season.

Today’s session, which featured no notable absences, was structured much like a regular season practice, featuring individual drills, special teams work and several team periods.

“It was great to get back out on the field, to get our team on the field and to get the guys out there who are going to make up our team,” said Head Coach Norv Turner. “For our team where we are right now, the way the collective bargaining agreement is set up, has really helped us because it’s given us time to get our guys indoctrinated into the way we do things in the weight room and it’s given us time to go slow in the individual work on the field and get them ready in terms of their individual techniques and learning the system.”

While the team has added several new pieces to its offensive arsenal, most eyes are on the defense where John Pagano becomes the Chargers’ third defensive coordinator in the last three seasons. Today was that unit’s first chance to measure itself against Rivers and the Bolts’ high-octane offense.

“It was a good first start for everybody,” said inside linebacker Takeo Spikes[​IMG]. “(It was our) first chance to really compete against individuals as a group. We have a lot of work to do but it was a good start today.”

You can count Spikes among those who doesn’t believe that the lack of contact hinders the defense’s ability to prepare for the season.

“It’s pretty much the same thing,” he explained. “I don’t care about hitting anybody right now. I know better. With the rules being set, we’ve still got the two-hour time window to where we can be on the field for really mostly technique work. That’s why I like it so much because you can’t use brute strength to dominate your opponent so you really have to use technique and be fundamentally sound.”

Turner echoed that, telling the media after practice that he has a lot of faith in Jeff Hurd, the team’s strength and conditioning coach, and the program that he runs. Now is the time to combine the work in the weight room with the last few weeks of Phase II, which was teaching with the coaches and finally to bring everything together in competition as Phase III of the program begins.

“Now getting on the field and being able to go out and teach our system, we have a lot of new players who have to get on the same page and have to learn what it is to line up and play next to the guy they’re going to be playing next to,” said Turner of the team’s emphasis. “People always refer to our quarterbacks and receivers but I’m talking about a new strong safety in there, a new defensive lineman, a new linebacker, young corners who really haven’t played a great deal in this league. So in all areas we have a lot of new guys and our main emphasis is to get them on the same page and obviously get them to improve as football players.”

Among the players who most benefit from this offseason work are the team’s rookies and draft choices. A year ago, the team’s draft class had to learn everything on the fly after the NFL Lockout ended in July. This group has had a chance to learn from the coaches and players from day one. The last portion of each OTA is being devoted entirely to the team’s rookies after the veterans retreat to the locker room. Count rookie outside linebacker and top pick in the ’12 NFL Draft, Melvin Ingram[​IMG], among those embracing this opportunity.

“It’s going really well,” said Ingram. “The coaches are fully explaining it and the players are really helping so it’s gone really smooth.”

The Chargers will be on the field twice more this week on Wednesday and Thursday. It’s a busy schedule that includes meetings, weightlifting and a two-hour mid-day practice from 10:45-12:45 p.m.

Notes

Highlight reelVincent Brown[​IMG] made the catch of the day, snagging a pass from Charlie Whitehurst[​IMG] down the deep middle with one hand. Brown also caught two others of a similar variety using both of his mitts. Said Brown of the one-handed grab: “It was a good catch, I’m just trying to make plays. I thought it was going to be too high when I saw it come off his (Whitehurst’s) arm and I just reached up there and tried to make a play and I was able to do that.”

Touchdown – Rivers threw one of the day’s prettiest passes, a 34-yard touchdown strike to Eddie Royal[​IMG] that dropped in perfectly over the receiver’s right shoulder.

Right place, right time – Right tackle Jeromey Clary[​IMG] got in on the action today catching a pass that was batted in the air by a defensive lineman. It was the first time Clary had caught a football in practice or a game since his days as a collegian at Kansas State. Joked the 320-pounder of today’s foray: “That was not a fun experience. Very tiring. If the ball’s getting tipped down and falling down into my hands, it’s going to be tough to get some yards.”

Opportunistic – Cornerback Shareece Wright[​IMG], one of the aforementioned 2011 draft choices that didn’t have an offseason last year, is taking full advantage of this year’s work. Wright was impressive on day one, breaking up a pass intended for Vincent Brown and intercepting another intended for Richard Goodman[​IMG]. He was extremely modest in review of his work: “It was alright, decent for the first day. It makes a world of difference (to be practicing). I wish we would’ve had this last year but there’s nothing we can do about it. This offseason’s been great just to be able to learn the playbook and the defense.”

Back to work – Inside linebacker Jonas Mouton[​IMG], a second-round pick in ’11 who missed the entire season with a shoulder injury, was back on the field today to work with his teammates. Mouton was also modest when discussing how it felt to be back on the field among his brethren: “It was good. There’s still a lot of work ahead of me, but it was great to be out there running around.”

New additions – The Chargers added three new players to the roster before Tuesday’s practice. The team signed strong safety Corey Lynch, a sixth-round pick by Cincinnati in 2008, who spent his rookie season with the Bengals and his last three seasons (2009-11) in Tampa Bay. Lynch tallied 25 tackles and an interception with the Buccaneers in 2011. The team also signed free agent punter Robert Malone, who’s spent time with Jacksonville, Tampa Bay and Detroit, and tackle Phil Trautwein, who’s spent time with St. Louis, Cleveland and New Orleans.

Really excited to see this years' receiving corps & what a full off season does for last year's rooks. :abq2:
  2. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    I'm so happy that the new CBA ended rookie holdouts. That was such garbage.
  3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,698 / 45 / -26
    Oh......... I thought this thread was about Outrageous T & A. :(
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    If you wanna make it a test of mod super-powers, have at it. :D
  5. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,698 / 45 / -26
    Don't think that hadn't occurred to me already. ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Via Rapid Reports .....

7. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    RE: Cesaire and Castillo; I don't think we're going into the season with fewer than 5 DEs, especially if we're working a 2 man rotation at nose, where Cesaire has some experience.

RE: TEs; I don't think Green is going to get cut. If Rosario makes the roster, we'll be carrying 4 TEs, which means Hester will be gone.
  8. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,698 / 45 / -26
    Why would the team cut a guy they just drafted? It's Kory Sperry who would be the odd man out. Green is as much a big WR as a TE. The guy is skinny for a TE.
  9. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,061 / 30 / -0
    I just don't see Hester getting cut. He's a versatile player and valuable on special teams.
  10. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9

TE Dante Rosario has received plenty of snaps and has made several fine plays through the first two days of OTAs. This could be an early indication that Rosario has an inside track at making the final 53-man roster. The Chargers currently have five TEs. Antonio Gates and Randy McMichael are virtual shoo-ins to make the roster. After that the competition will be stiff between Rosario, Ladarius Green (fourth-round pick), Kory Sperry and Brad Taylor

Do you think the team is going to carry 4 TEs without making a reduction somewhere else when we normally carry 3 TEs? The article stated that Rosario had an inside track to making the team, and that there was competition between Rosario, Green, Sperry, and Taylor. For Rosario and Green to make the roster, we need to have 4 TEs, which means that someone else has to go, and the most superfluous player on the roster is Hester.
  11. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,698 / 45 / -26
    The most superfluous player is Charlie Whitehurst, but you can't go with only one QB. ;)
  12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    CHARGERS: Chargers target areas of weakness in OTAs
    [​IMG]

Denis Poroy

Chargers coach Norv Turner had his team working on third-down conversions and red-zone defense during this week's organized team activities. DENIS POROY | Associated Press

SAN DIEGO ---- The first week of the Chargers' organized team activities is complete. The three-session stretch concluded on Thursday afternoon when coach Norv Turner certainly maximized his time.
    He practices fast under normal circumstances, but motors run consistently high when no contact is allowed. That's the case for these OTAs, which continue with seven sessions over the next two weeks.
    "We've had three really good days," Turner said after Thursday's workout. "I think the system we have in place that the league and the players negotiated makes real sense. The players had two really good weeks working out without the coaches, then we had three good weeks of meetings and getting on the field with the players for 45 minutes to help put in the system. Now we're able to continue our installation and work with each other as an offense and defense and focus in on situational drills."
    Turner has placed particular emphasis on what he terms critical situations. The Chargers worked extensively on third downs, red-zone scenarios and the two-minute drill ---- all vital areas in which the team struggled last season.
    The Chargers' defense ranked last in the NFL in third-down conversion percentage in 2011 and allowed opponents to score a touchdown during 59.18 percent of their trip to the red zone, the No. 27 mark in that category.
    Their play within the two-minute mark wasn't great either, with too many big points allowed before halves and final whistles.
    "We weren't good enough in those areas, especially on defense," Turner said. "When we were one of the best two-minute drill teams in football in 2009, we won four or five games on either side of the ball and finished 13-3. That's an area we're going to stress."
    While certain evaluations are difficult to make in non-contact situations, Turner has been impressed with how his young players ---- especially the second-year pros who didn't have a traditional rookie offseason due to the NFL lockout ---- retained the information presented to them.
    It's clear that this team is quick, even during the high tempo of these sessions.
    "If you're not going to have contact, you better be moving fast," Turner said. "We've been stressing quickness and speed, and those attributes should be a part of what defines our team. This group is incredibly athletic. We will be one of the fastest teams I've ever been around."
    Mathews responsibility increasing?
    Ryan Mathews might be a true feature back this season. The third-year pro shared the ball carrying responsibility with Mike Tolbert his first two seasons, but Tolbert's departure via free agency creates a void that the Chargers may not need another player to fill.
    Mathews has made great strides this offseason, especially with pass protection and receiving skills, key roles for a running back on third down. The 2010 first-round pick has rarely played on third down.
    Many expected the team to fill that role with a veteran import, which may still happen. The Chargers may also fill that spot with someone already on the roster. The team plans to evaluate its own players before looking at the open market
    "We're working hard to get comfortable with a third-down back," Turner said. "Ryan will be that guy, but (reserve Curtis) Brinkley has done it and at times I could see (starting fullback Le'Ron McClain) in that role. He's an excellent receiver and a very good pass protector."
    Outside rotation
    The Chargers have a stable of outside linebackers, with more depth than in recent seasons. The team can run five-players deep with veterans Shaun Phillips, Jarret Johnson and Antwan Barnes, rookie Melvin Ingram and oft-injured 2009 first-rounder Larry English.
    English has fully recovered from foot injuries that have trouble him in the past, although he was limited this week by a groin strain. The veterans are proven performers, and Ingram has flashed solid potential.
    That's encouraging for Turner, who has had that position group decimated by injury.
    "After a six-week period of time, I would say we're closer to being back where we were in 2007 and 2008," Turner said, "when we had a number of playmakers at that position."
    Cornerback still a priority
    Turner praised the recent efforts of young cornerbacks Marcus Gilchrist and Shareece Wright, but the team remains interested in signing a veteran corner.
    Gilchrist played nickel back at times last season, but a source said the team hopes to add a veteran presence at the position. Dante Hughes, who manned the position last season, was not retained.
  13. powayslugger

powayslugger Optimistic for 2013

Ratings Received:
    +134 / 3 / -0
    Chargers might be bucking the trend of carrying RBs who will split the time on the field. Norv is making it sound like Ryan is going to be an every down back. If not will Brinkley be splitting time with Mathews or does anyone see us going after a FA running back before training camp?
  14. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,698 / 45 / -26
    Chargers evaluating, not expanding, backfield
    Written by

The Chargers plan to sign a veteran backup running back.

But it may take a calendar, not a wrist watch, to show when.

San Diego has no immediate plans to add a running back in free agency, a team source said, as the organization's attention, for now, centers on evaluating the running backs currently in place.

Once Mike Tolbert departed via free agency, a question arose over who'd become the Chargers' next featured running back on third down.

They have options, coach Norv Turner said Thursday.

“We're working hard to get real comfortable with who we think the third-down back is," Turner said. "Right now, Ryan (Mathews) would be that guy, but (Curtis) Brinkley has done it, and there's certain times where I could see Le'Ron McClain doing it because he's an excellent receiver and a very good pass protector.”

Last year, Mathews was productive in the role when used.

He moved the chains on 10 of his 15 third-down touches, totaling nine carries for 92 yards with six catches for 59. Earlier this week, Turner said the Chargers will give him "everything he can handle."

As they measure which back is best for various situations, rookies Edwin Baker, a seventh-round draft pick, and Michael Hayes, who went undrafted, are being assessed.

"I like them," Turner said. "They're two explosive guys. Baker, obviously, you know more about when you draft a guy. He's got great quickness, great explosion and acceleration. Michael Hayes has been a pleasant surprise because he's got some juice, and he catches the ball real well. It's going to be fun having them in camp."

The team could sign a running back closer toward or even during training camp, which begins late July. There's no guarantee he'd make the team, and the contract would likely be for the veteran minimum.

A reserve cornerback is also expected to be added for the veteran minimum.

Quentin Jammer, Antoine Cason, Marcus Gilchrist and Shareece Wright currently top the depth chart at corner. Gilchrist received reps at nickel back during the first week of organized team activities, which will resume next Tuesday.

Gilchrist and Wright have both made promising strides entering their second seasons, Turner said.

Wright played more sparingly as a rookie. He contributed mostly on special teams, seeing just four defensive snaps.

"He's a really talented player," Turner said. "I think people are going to notice him when we play in games."
  15. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,698 / 45 / -26
    Whitehurst appears hesitant to pass
    by Dan McLellan, CBSSports.com

Second-string QB Charlie Whitehurst appeared hesitant to pull the trigger on passes during OTAs on Thursday. He frequently tucked the ball and coach Norv Turner verbally got after Whitehurst for not throwing when the defense applied pressure. Whitehurst is replacing Billy Volek as the backup, but he should already be somewhat familiar with the offense. Whitehurst spent the 2006-2009 seasons with the Chargers before being traded to the Seahawks (2010-2011).
  16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,424 / 19 / -4
    If they keep Green they might not so much get rid of Hester but instead get rid of Brinkley and/or Baker - they'll want to keep Hester if anything for his versatility and his ST ability. Green would be kept on the roster but that's a protection move if Rosario impresses - green would be inactive nearly every game because all he would be there for would be to play TE. Don't think you'd move him to ST
  17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    No mention of Royal here at the return position. IMO, that's a good thing. He's far more valuable as an offensive weapon. Keeping those return reps off of him is important.
  18. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,698 / 45 / -26
    I believe that Royal will return punts only...... that's what he's done in recent years.
  19. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,698 / 45 / -26
    FB Hester: I've added 11 pounds of muscle
    by Dan McLellan, CBSSports.com

FB Jacob Hester, last year's starter, is expected to be relegated to mostly special teams this season with the signing of FB Le’Ron McClain (Chiefs). McClain is noticeably larger than Hester, but Hester has worked hard to change that. He is significantly bulkier and toned than at any point of his career, claiming he's added 11 pounds of muscle.
  20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Floyd, Meachem and Royal provide a variety of looks

[​IMG] June 12, 2012 6:56 p.m. - by Dan McLellan

The WR trio of Malcom Floyd, Robert Meachem and Eddie Royal has provided a variety of looks during OTAs. The most common lineup has seen Floyd on the outside right, Meachem on the outside left and Royal in the slot. For the exception of Floyd in the slot, all other combinations have been used. This should give coach Norv Turner the ability to create a variety of looks and find favorable matchups against opposing defenses.

San Diego Chargers RapidReports | All National Football League RapidReports

giggity :D
  21. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,698 / 45 / -26
    Where's Vincent Brown? ;)
  22. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    Waiting on the sideline for Floyd to pull his groin.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  23. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    I'm not entertaining reality as it pertains to the Chargers today.

Maybe tomorrow. ;)
  24. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,698 / 45 / -26
    Maybe, the Chargers could add a Groinologist to the training staff? ;)

[​IMG]
  25. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    I'm feeling a little tweak myself.

Oh nurse .....
  26. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
  27. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,698 / 45 / -26
    This site has a tendency to break links on pics.
  28. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    Waiting on the sideline for Floyd to pull his groin.

I hope #86 isn't waiting for Floyd to come give Brown a tug!