1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Padre Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by wrbanwal, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +288 / 1 / -0
    It is too early to lose hope! We can't keep blowing close games, and we have to gets some bats going. We got good talent, execution is a big problem. Plus, Black has to make some hard decision around key positions. Center field? Closer?

These are two positions that we should consider a change.
  2. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    These were the questions that were supposed to be addressed in the offseason. JM doesnt want to spend money or doesnt have the money to spend. KT is scared to pull up some rookies. There is no hope for this team the way them guys up there run it. Oh well, almost football season anyway.
  3. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings Received:
    +890 / 0 / -0
    tboltzcali you hit the nail on the head with this one. I am getting tired of all the geriatric has beens being given a lot of money to play for the Padres and leave all our minors talent just wasting away there.

Call up the Rookies already. they will give us a chance to win now and in the future. KT just grow a set and call up a lot of our Minors players please.
  4. tboltzcali

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    our minor system pretty much doubles for other teams. We bring them up and then trade them away. if we had hope, we would of had alot of our ex talent with us still. We give up on players too easily. BTW, pads lose another 7-4.
  5. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0

I think Moores and Towers get paid under the table by other teams by grooming players in the minor leagues then trading them for geriatric washed up veterans.

:tdown::tdown::tdown:
  6. wrbanwal

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    THIS GUY COULD HIT CLEAN-UP FOR THE PADS!!!

:lol:

CLEVELAND -- Indians designated hitter Travis Hafner, in a 7-for-51 slump, was out of the starting lineup for Wednesday night's game against Seattle.

Manager Eric Wedge was noncommittal about how long Hafner would be on the bench or if he would remain in the No. 3 spot in the batting order when he does return to the lineup.

2008 Season Stats GM HR RBI R OBP AVG
    26 3 16 12 .302 .210

"We're taking everything day by day," Wedge said. "We're going to give him a break and we'll move forward."

Hafner is hitless in his last 12 at-bats and is 2-for-16 in six games on the Indians' homestand. Overall, he's batting .210 with three homers and 16 RBIs and has only been reaching base at a .302 clip, more than 100 points down from his peak.

Hafner was one of the most feared sluggers in baseball from 2004-2006, averaging 34 home runs and 111 RBIs while hitting over .300 all three years. His numbers fell off last season when he batted .267 with 24 homers and 100 RBIs.

"We're very confident he's going to be the hitter we want him to be," Wedge said. "It's not a matter of if. It's when."

With nearly every hitter in a slump, Wedge has to juggle his lineup daily. Shortstop Jhonny Peralta, in a 1-for-14 skid, also was on the bench Wednesday night. Ryan Garko, hitless in his last 23 at-bats, returned after not playing Tuesday night.

Garko was the designated hitter, with catcher Victor Martinez moving to first base while Kelly Shoppach was behind the plate. Asdrubal Cabrera moved from second base to shortstop and Jamey Carroll played second.
  7. tboltzcali

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    padres finally win one 4-2. Pop the bottle!!
  8. wrbanwal

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    STOP THE PRESSES

EDMONDS GOT A HIT TONIGHT
  9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings Received:
    +1,531 / 7 / -2
    Welcome to last place and worst of all the mlb SD.
  10. wrbanwal

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0

now our bull pen sucks to

Fire Sale

make it so Moores you fukwad

11. wrbanwal

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    MIAMI -- The numbers are adding up for the Padres, and they're certainly not good ones.

Entering play on Friday, the Padres had the lowest batting average in the Major Leagues (.226), the fewest RBIs with runners in scoring position (67) as well as the second-fewest runs scored of any team (94).

This would largely explain why the Padres started their three-game series against Florida tied with the Rangers for the most losses (18) in the Major Leagues.

The only regular in the starting lineup with a batting average over .270 was first baseman Adrian Gonzalez, who is hitting .283. Brian Giles, at .260, was next.

"Offensively, we haven't hit like we're capable of or what we expected," said manager Bud Black before the start of a three-game series against the Marlins at Dolphin Stadium. "We have to start hitting the ball with runners in scoring position."

You certainly don't have to tell hitting coach Wally Joyner, as he has been working closely with the team's hitters during their offensive funk to help get things turned around.

Joyner, taking a break to talk hitting with someone other than his hitters on Friday, sees a team that's pressing, the result of too many missed opportunities.

"I think we've all been there, when things are not going too well for yourself ... you try harder to fix it," Joyner said. "The reality is that you have to understand what your strike zone is and stay within those parameters. If you can do that, say, 10 times in a row, then you will be successful."

Joyner isn't seeing nearly enough of that right now. On Wednesday in Philadelphia, the Padres defeated the Phillies, 4-2, but still stranded 14 baserunners. Then, in a 3-2 loss on Thursday to the Phillies, the Padres had five hits but also hit several line drives that turned into outs.

"We've been snake-bit a little, but we're not making excuses," Joyner said.

FIRE SALE MOORES YOU FUKWAD!

AN CAN YOUR DAMN COACHES AS WELL

12. tboltzcali

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Firesale? Who is actually worth trading?
  13. wrbanwal

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0

Are you Kidding!!

Jake, Young, Bell, Gonzo?

We could get a **** load of talent for those guys, groom them, then trade them for several 38 year old has beens!!!

:tup::tup::tup:
  14. tboltzcali

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Cant trade Jake, he has a no trade clause. We wont ever trade our pitching and our best hitter. We dont have trip A talent to replace them. We are stuck for atleast another 5 years unless we grab some FA's.
  15. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    Looks like it will be Ledezma pitching for Germano, who was demoted:

Padres tab lefty Ledezma, leave prospects down on the farm

By Tom Krasovic
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    8:14 p.m. May 6, 2008

ATLANTA -- For the second season a row, the search for a back-end starter has the Padres pulling pitchers from the salvage yard rather than from a pool of advanced prospects.

Left-hander Wil Ledezma, who has pitched for the Padres, Tigers and Braves, will start tomorrow for Justin Germano, whose 13.50 ERA in the last three games will move him into the bullpen.
    "It feels great to be starting," said Ledezma, who has a 1.96 ERA in seven relief outings for the Padres this season.

Believing their system's pitching isn't ready, the Padres decided against promoting from the ranks of prospects such as Triple-A starters Josh Geer (2-2, 3.97 ERA), Cesar Ramos (3-2, 5.53) and Wade LeBlanc (2-2, 8.58) and Double-A ace Will Inman (3-1, 2.11), who was named the system's pitcher of the month for April.

The Padres also bypassed their prospect pool last summer when they shopped during the pennant race. They instead rummaged the bargain bins and settled on the likes of veteran minor leaguer Jack Cassel, journeyman Brett Tomko -- and Ledezma, whom they acquired from the Braves in a July trade.

Intrigued by Ledezma's left-handedness and a fastball that exceeds 90 mph, the Padres kept the 6-foot-3 Venezuelan for the entire stretch drive.

To a Padres playoff bid that fell a game short, Ledezma contributed a 6.28 ERA in 14 1/3 innings, most of them in mop-up situations. In his lone start, he got only five outs, taxing the bullpen. He never gained the trust of manager Bud Black to work in tight games, but because the Padres feared losing him to a waiver claim, they refused to move him off their roster in August, which reduced their bullpen flexibility.

The Padres cannot go back to that pennant race. Ledezma is still here, though, and Black said he'll get a "spot start" against a Braves team that's less impressive against lefties.

The hope is Ledezma's recent success is a better indicator than his career ERA of 5.10 ERA and strikeout/walk ratio of 212/149 in 325 innings.

"His focus is getting better, and his confidence is there," Black said.

Ledezma said he's benefiting from a breaking pitch that he sharpened in the Venezuelan winter league. He said he's also more settled than last year, when the both Tigers and Braves dealt him.

"Last year was a tough year for me because I got traded two times," said the pitcher. "I can't explain it. Three teams in one year, it's not easy."

Estes decision due
    Veteran left-hander Shawn Estes, pitching well as a Triple-A starter, is still on the club's radar for a promotion before he can become a free agent May 15. Triple-A outfielder Jody Gerut is also on the short list.:tup:

Barrett better, but not 100 percent
    Catcher Michael Barrett played catch for the third time since he sprained his elbow on April 7 but is still more than two weeks from returning to the Padres, Black said.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,423 / 19 / -4
    How much would the Cubs rationally want for Felix Pie?
  17. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    What's the word on Mark Prior ?
  18. tboltzcali

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    One player isnt going to fix this team. Padres are doomed for years to come.
  19. wrbanwal

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    don't take that to the UT!

You'll get flamed!

It's ok if they biotch about the Pads but if they find out you're a Bolt fan you're SCREWED!!

:lol:
  20. wrbanwal

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0

Like most of the other washed up has beens on this team

I'm not sure when he comes of the 600 day DL, but when he does he'll probably end up in the minors

:tdown:
  21. tboltzcali

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    padres lose again...now 10 games out!!
  22. Holy_Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +288 / 1 / -0
    Why is Thatcher on this team? What does Black see in him?:icon_huh:
  23. tboltzcali

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Same as he see's in Kouz, Edmonds, Bard, Hairston. No hope.
  24. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,423 / 19 / -4
    Idk, he seems to not know what he's doing and not have confidence. He can't be this bad, he was downright awesome last year so there must be something akin to a middle ground
  25. wrbanwal

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    Sending an SOS: Help on the farm?

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/news/2008/may/20/sending-out-sos/

PROSPECT PROFILES

Chase Headley - Matt Antonelli

Nick Hundley - Wil Venable

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Chase Headley's ears were burning. Seriously. So was every part of the fair-skinned body not covered by his Portland Beavers cap or uniform.

He used his glove to shield his eyes, looking directly into the sun as it set just above the grandstand awning at PGE Park, the scoreboard thermometer still reading 101 degrees just minutes before first pitch at 7:05. Standing out in left field, Headley was the only Portland player not covered by merciful shade.

All the brightest light was trained on him. Brilliant. Yet glaring.

Headley is surrounded in the Beavers clubhouse by what's presumed to be the future of the Padres -- most notably, former Double-A teammates such as second baseman Matt Antonelli, catcher Nick Hundley and center fielder Will Venable -- but the situation in San Diego is so desperate that tomorrow seems too long to wait for Headley's switch-hitting talents. Especially now that Headley is getting his average up toward .300 and hitting homers with regularity.

Much of the Padres public is clamoring for -- some demanding -- Headley's recall to San Diego. Like, now, if not sooner.

"The way it was explained to me was, they didn't want me coming up and feeling a lot of pressure, trying to turn the whole thing around," Headley said last weekend. "Obviously, not any player can turn things around for a whole team on his own, much less a rookie that's been in the big leagues for 19 games.

"The powers-that-be in San Diego are very smart in that they make good moves most of the time. If they don't think it's the right time for me, then I trust their opinion. In a perfect world, obviously, yeah, I want to be in San Diego. But I respect them and I'll await my turn. The only thing I can control is what I do here."

Right there, you see, is part of what Triple-A is all about. Seasoning. All sorts of seasoning.

"Player of the Year, top prospect, whatever, it doesn't mean squat from this point forward," said Headley, who is hitting .288 with seven home runs, 14 doubles and 20 RBI. "I mean, honors like that are great, but that's past. I just want to get better. I want to get to San Diego, and once I'm in San Diego, I want to stay in San Diego. Once I'm hopefully a regular in San Diego, I want to be one of the best players who's played there."

Admittedly "not naturally patient," Headley, just turned 24, is gifted with the ability to adapt to pitchers and situations, and now he's playing it cool and smart in anticipation of the inevitable promotion. Summoned from Double-A San Antonio -- where he was Texas League Player of the Year -- Headley got his major league primer in brief stints with the Padres last June and September and was disappointed not to make the parent club out of spring training.

Much as he'd like to just drive those few blocks from PGE Park to the I-5, point south and not stop till he reaches the Petco Park exit, it's clear that his arrival in San Diego will be greeted with excessive expectations by anyone till delusional enough to think the Padres are a single oar from restarting their dead-in-the-water boat.

"Kevin (Towers) told me, 'This is not the right environment for (Headley) right now,'" said Portland manager Randy Ready, referring to the Padres general manager who went off on his last-place team Monday night and threatened wholesale changes. "I seconded that with him. I know where Chase and all these kids are trying to go. They're all reading their names (in speculation about call-ups). I've had conversations with each of them, individually and collectively, about this.

"You can't expect one or two or three of these guys to step in and turn the whole season around. That's asking a lot from their experience. It's a pretty forgiving town, but under the circumstances, it's the right decision for right now."

Ostensibly, reasonably, the Padres are keeping Headley in Portland less to spare him pressure than to let him learn a brand-new position. A third baseman since his freshman year in college -- and a good one, by all accounts -- Headley is in only his second month as a left fielder. With Kevin Kouzmanoff back at third base after last year's strong second half, Headley was told his shortcut to the Padres lineup was through the outfield.

"When they first approached me about it, I really wasn't sure what to think," Headley said. "I'm confident that I'm a lot better at third base than I am in the outfield right now. I feel like I very easily could be a big league third baseman.

"The Padres have made it clear it's not that I'm inadequate at third. It's just that they have a guy there they really like. I have no problem with that. If it's gonna help me get there quicker and help the Padres out, it's the best of both worlds."

The transition hasn't been seamless, but it has been errorless so far. Built like a third baseman, with feet much faster than the legs they're attached to, Headley fields like one and also hits like one. If you look down the road a bit, tilt your head just so and maybe squint, you could see Headley having the same kind of career as Chipper Jones.

Problem was, Headley wasn't hitting well at all from the start of his first Triple-A season. With the upgrade in pitchers he now faced -- many with considerable major league time -- Headley was caught chasing and even lunging at balls well outside his zone.

"To be honest, the hardest thing for me about changing positions was early on, when things weren't going as well, and I had time to just sit out there in left and think about what I was doing wrong at the plate," he said. "I was just in my head, trying to figure out the one thing that was going to turn it around. In the grand scheme of things, that was counterproductive.

"You can't do that at third. So many things are going on in the infield, you're moving around so much, you don't have as much time to think. At third the ball's gonna find you a lot quicker."

Headley began finding the ball on both sides of the plate around the start of May, pounding homers in three straight games and four of five last week. Though often praised for having the best grasp of the strike zone in the system, plus the "patient-aggressive" approach the Padres are ingraining at every level, Headley continues to strike out often, 44 times in the Beavers' first 41 games.

"Early on, I was getting myself out a lot," Headley said. "Pitchers weren't really coming at me the way I was used to in Double-A. They were throwing breaking balls away, not challenging me, so I made a slight adjustment in my approach and that's worked out good.

"To have any sustained success, you have to make adjustments. You prove you can hit a middle-in, 2-0 fastball three, four times in a row, it's probably not going to come that many times anymore. The pitcher's going to make an adjustment and you have to make an adjustment."

Triple-A 101. Now more than before, teams do tend to hurry along their top prospects, but still extremely rare is even the major league All-Star who didn't spend some time in the Pacific Coast League or International League. "Some" being the operative word.

With the Padres back to being the worst team in major league standing -- and looking progressively worse -- the out-loud wonder is what more the Padres have to lose by bringing up Headley immediately. That is, aside from the stigma of having just one San Diego draftee (shortstop Khalil Greene) in the everyday lineup.

Peering up from the NL West basement, the Padres are fully covered by clubs that developed their own homegrown talent and let the kids play, the Colorado Rockies and Arizona Diamondbacks going all the way to the National League Championship Series with a couple of baseball's youngest rosters.

As it happens, the Beavers also are trying to climb out of last place in their division. Their own version of the runaway Diamondbacks is the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim affiliate, Salt Lake, where the Bees got off to a ridiculous 24-2 start.

The patchwork Padres already have relied heavily on Portland for reinforcements -- outfielder Jody Gerut, pitcher Shawn Estes and catcher Luke Carlin -- but have yet to dip into the aforementioned core of top prospects. Save Headley, though, none is polished enough or doing the sort of things in Portland that scream for a call-up.

A first-round pick (2006) who also played third base in college and began last year at Single-A Lake Elsinore, Antonelli is still learning the hard way to man second base. At the same time, he's hitting .189.

"Before you can go up there (to the majors), you've got to get the game down in Triple-A," said Antonelli, 23. "This is another step to getting where you want to be. ... Everybody here is just trying to play well, but I'm sure people understand they could be called up anytime. If you get the call, you want to be ready."

Likewise sub-Mendoza is Hundley at .194, challenged with learning to handle much better pitchers as both a catcher and a hitter. On the other hand, Venable (.287, three homers, 19 RBI) has been a bit of a pleasant surprise for the Padres, who would love to put the Jim Edmonds debacle behind them and have a homegrown player of Venable's range chasing down fly balls in Petco's exasperatingly oversized center field.

All of the four, not incidentally, were on the Double-A club that went from worst to first for the Texas League title last year. They had a truly epic summer, and for a major league franchise whose logo denotes the San Diego surf, they are the next wave.

"When you get around guys as long we've been together," Headley said, "you get comfortable with them, you learn to win with them and lose with them, you form bonds. Hopefully, in the near future, we can get over the hump and you're going to see the products of a much-improved farm system."
  26. wrbanwal

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    Black: Padres need to 'play better baseball' in order to stop slump

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/news/2008/may/20/black-padres-need-play-better-baseball-order-get-o/

Padres closer Trevor Hoffman understands why General Manager Kevin Towers sounded off after Monday's loss to the Cardinals.

"He's tired of watching losing baseball," Hoffman said.

Towers, after seeing the last-place Padres fall to 16-30, spoke of potential "wholesale" changes and said the minors are stuffed with "hungry players" looking for an opportunity.

Manager Bud Black learned of the GM's venting after Towers had spoken to reporters.

Wednesday, Black addressed the team and declined to say whether it was in response to the remarks of his boss.

Asked if the blast from Towers implied the Padres needed motivating, Black took a few seconds before replying. "This team needs to play better baseball," he said. "We need to win games."

The remarks by Towers implied that not every player is giving suitable effort. Has Black found the effort lacking?

"The players realize we have to play better baseball," Black said. "We've played 46 games not to the expectation level after that amount of games. We have to play better."

Shortstop Khalil Greene didn't regard the talk of a potential shake-up as news.

"I think you pretty much assume that as a player, really," Greene said. "You're in the business of putting forth a team that's competitive, trying to put people in the stands and win games. All of those things combine to imply that if you play poorly there are going to be changes."

Said first baseman Adrian Gonzalez: "The effort and work is there. It's applying the game plan to the game that is lacking. Once we get in the game, we try harder. We over-try. We don't let things happen."

Said Greene: "It's result-oriented. It's hard to find a positive when you're not playing particularly well, individually or as a whole. As far as effort level, I don't think anybody is out there giving up or not focusing on the game, or out there not trying his hardest."

Towers also said the constant losing should result in "horrible" morale among players.

"It certainly isn't a pleasant working environment in that sense," said Greene, who was a regular for Padres playoff contenders the previous four seasons. "I don't think anybody would say it's enjoyable. It's frustrating, but it's your profession."

The team's baserunning also drew criticism from Towers.

"We've had some baserunning lapses the last couple of days," conceded Black, who, according to scouts and coaches, has perhaps the slowest and least athletic team in the majors. "We've lost some focus on the basepaths. These are correctable. What you don't like to see on the basepaths are guys not going hard. Guys are running the basepaths hard."

Notes

-- Black said Wil Ledezma will remain in the starting spot he occupied for the injured Jake Peavy.

-- Catcher Michael Barrett Tuesday hit a pinch RBI double for Triple-A Portland, one day after going 1-for-2 to start his rehab assignment.

-- It wasn't the first time Towers gave a harsh critique while standing in the clubhouse within earshot of players; in 2005, he chewed out Phil Nevin after a game.

-- The Padres saved about $500,000 when they released pitcher Glendon Rusch; they assumed roughly that amount by promoting pitcher Shawn Estes.
  27. Holy_Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +288 / 1 / -0
    Wow what a frustrating start to the season. I posted this comment on my Brothers Blog and I wanted to share/vent with this forum too.

Well, I’m still watching all the Padre games that I can; I bought the extra innings package to ensure I could watch most of the games. Wow…they have been depressing…I could have paid for three tanks of gas for the price of the extra innings package.
    My opinion is we are cheap, and conservative. These are two qualities that don’t work in baseball. We should go with youth! Keep Peavy and Gonzales, and trade the old timers or sit them for young talent. Good young talent. Why is Thatcher still on the team? What does Black see in him?
    Edmonds was a disaster! I’m glad we dumped him early. This was an example of being conservative and cheap at the same time. Either sign a big time name or let a young punk try to make a name for himself. Center field is a pivotal position, and we trade an old player for an old player…crazy.
    We have to start thinking of replacing Hoffman! Yes, saying that hurts, but his time is running out. We also have to groom as many young pitchers as possible under Maddox. Maddox’s only value to this team is his experience. Maybe we should hire him as a coach, and keep him on the bench. (Note: he did pitch a good game to win 350).
    Bottom line, is teams that have a winning percentage of 500, won’t continue to get into the post season. The time of mediocrity in the National league West is coming to an end; we will have to start differentiating ourselves from the other teams in the league. Currently we are doing that by losing! We have to turn it around, and it will take Towers and Black to do it by making some tough decisions. The future is youth, but it takes a talented management team to determine the right young talent to draft. I don’t believe our current management team has what it will take to pull this off.
  28. -Scar-

-Scar- thedoomship.com

Ratings Received:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Mannnnnnnnn....

The Pads Are Really Pissin Me Off....:icon_evil:
  29. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings Received:
    +1,531 / 7 / -2
    G'damn, Pujols tried to murder all the Padres last night.

Hope CY is alright, that **** looked nasty.
  30. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,423 / 19 / -4
    that was just bad luck on CY and Bard, he was in a sense doing his job by blocking the plate. Still that's a great summation of the Padres season - **** just keeps happening

The for-sale sign should be up by now