1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Padre Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by wrbanwal, Apr 5, 2008.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    35 55 .389

we're gonna lose 110 games

:icon_sad::icon_sad::icon_sad:

2. stone86

stone86 New Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    At least a lot of those young guys were hitting tonight... I'm not sure it'll last, but good to see.

3. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    Six players move in roster shuffling

McAnulty, Guevara outrighted to Triple-A; Tomko goes on DL

http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080708&content_id=3092471&vkey=news_sd&fext=.jsp&c_id=sd

SAN DIEGO -- There was some level of upheaval of the Padres' 25-man roster Tuesday, as six players either came on or off the active roster.

Many faces, one goal.

"It's not a shakeup or a change to make change," San Diego manager Bud Black said on Tuesday. "These are moves to help the team."

The Padres outrighted outfielder Paul McAnulty and right-handed pitcher Carlos Guevara on Tuesday and replaced them with outfielder Chip Ambres and infielder Brian Myrow, both of whom were playing at Triple-A Portland.

San Diego also placed right-handed pitcher Brett Tomko on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right elbow (retroactive to July 1), replacing him with left-handed relief pitcher Joe Thatcher from Portland.

McAnulty, who made the team out of Spring Training and was hitting .207 in 135 at-bats with three home runs and 13 RBIs, cleared waivers Tuesday and will report to Triple-A Portland.

Guevara, who was 1-0 with a 5.84 ERA in 10 games, cleared waivers and, because he was a Rule 5 pick in December from the Reds, was acquired again from Cincinnati for a player to be named later or cash considerations.

As a Rule 5 pick, Guevara had to remain on San Diego's roster the entire season or be offered back to the Reds for $25,000. The Padres thought highly enough of Guevara to make a deal for him instead of simply offering him back.

McAnulty, a 12th-round pick in the 2002 Draft out of Long Beach State, has seen his playing time decrease dramatically since outfielder and top prospect Chase Headley joined the team on June 17.

McAnulty had one hit in his last 24 at-bats.

"It was a fun ride. ... Obviously, things didn't always go well for me but that is the way things shake out," McAnulty said. "Maybe it's time to start something new. Who knows? It could be here, could be somewhere else.

"They felt like they made the right decision. It's out of my hands. But now I will get to go down there [Portland] and play and maybe get back here or some other club."

Tomko, who signed a Major League contract with the Padres on June 27 after he was released by the Royals on June 12, appeared in two games before straining his elbow.

"When Brett came to us he had a little layoff from the Royals and he jumped right into those two innings [against Seattle on June 27] and overextended himself just a touch and threw the inning against the Rockies [June 30], felt some discomfort and wasn't able to get through it," Black said.

Thatcher, in his fourth stint with the Padres, was 4-0 with a 1.21 ERA over 19 appearances for Portland. He is 0-4 with a 7.40 ERA in 18 games with the Padres this season.

4. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    Ambres adds depth to Padres' outfield

First baseman Myrow likely to see time as pinch-hitter

http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080708&content_id=3091413&vkey=news_sd&fext=.jsp&c_id=sd

SAN DIEGO -- First it was Jody Gerut who was recalled by the Padres. Then, last month, another outfielder, Chase Headley, got the call to the Major Leagues.

All the while, 28-year-old Chip Ambres bided his time the best way he could -- by hitting, having fun and not worrying when the time would come.

"They got called up and I think that mentally it can kind of mess with you," Ambres said. "But I just had to stay focused and keep pushing because I knew I was close. I just had to believe in myself and my ability. Just stayed focused, carried on and had fun."

On Tuesday, Ambres and first baseman Brian Myrow got the call from Triple-A Portland as Ambres had his contract purchased and was placed on the 40-man roster.

Ambres and Myrow were in uniform on Tuesday for the Padres' game against the Marlins at PETCO Park. For Ambres, it was his first time back in a Major League uniform since last season when he spent three games with the New York Mets.

Ambres joined the team when the Padres outrighted outfielder Paul McAnulty, who then cleared waivers. Ambres was hitting .289 with 16 home runs and 62 RBIs this season with Portland.

Myrow, 31, who was recently selected to play in the Triple-A All-Star Game, was hitting .324 with 10 home runs and 53 RBIs. He won the Pacific Coast League batting title a year ago, hitting .354.

Ambres will be a right-handed bat off the bench and will give the team depth at outfield. He was in the starting lineup Tuesday as Brian Giles missed his third consecutive game with a sore hamstring. Giles likely won't play until Friday at the earliest.

Myrow likely won't see a lot of playing time at first base with All-Star Adrian Gonzalez and Tony Clark on the roster but could pinch-hit a fair amount.

Ambres was a non-roster invitee to Spring Training after signing a free-agent contract on Nov. 20, 2007.

"Playing good defense, hopefully bring a little speed to the game and taking an extra base when I can," Ambres said of his strengths. " ... Just try to plug in here and there and try to continue to do what I've been doing to get me here."

5. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    Padres are baiting the trade hook

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/news/2008/jul/09/olsen-throws-8-strong-innings-marlins-beat-padres2/?padres

The Padres are accelerating preparations for trades later this month, while also planning more auditions for some of their own players.

Tony Clark is available to playoff contenders looking for a veteran pinch hitter. Pitcher Greg Maddux, who has full no-trade power, has let the Padres know he likely would not accept a trade unless it is to another West Coast club.

On the field, the Padres aren't giving the front office reason to believe they can stage a near-miraculous bid for the National League West title.

Yesterday, they scored fewer than three runs for the 39th time this season. It added up to another defeat at Petco Park, this time by a 5-2 score opposite a Marlins pitcher, Scott Olsen, who had been winless in his previous 11 starts.

The Padres fell to 6-33 when they score two runs or fewer, 11-22 against left-handed starters and 1-10 in their last 11 home games. All but clinching the decisive contest in a three-game series, Olsen (5-4) took a 3-0 lead into the sixth inning.

To get their record near .500, the last-place Padres (36-56) likely need several hitters to get nearly as hot as their torrid leadoff man Scott Hairston, who had a home run and a single yesterday and is 15-for-30 since June 20.

Several other hitters, though, failed to build on their contributions from Tuesday's victory. Beyond Hairston (2-for-3), the Padres went 4-for-29 with one walk, though several batters drove hard shots that the Marlins snagged.

"I thought we hit better than it looked, not to take anything away from (Olsen)," said rookie Chase Headley, who went 1-for-4. "He threw a good game."

The Marlins took control with two home runs against Padres starter Cha Seung Baek (2-4). Florida's All-Star shortstop, Hanley Ramirez, hit his 22nd home run, a third-inning liner off the Western Metal Supply Co. building that made it 1-0. An inning later, Hilltop High and Grossmont College alum Mike Jacobs hit his 19th homer, pushing the lead to 3-0.

Hairston put the Padres on the board with a bases-empty shot in the sixth, his 14th home run of the season and his fifth in his last 19 at-bats. But when the Padres scored again, on Headley's RBI single after a one-out double by Kevin Kouzmanoff, they still trailed 5-2 in the ninth.

Headley commended Olsen for throwing change-ups that swerved like cutters and were difficult to recognize because the left-hander's arm speed was the same as with his fastball. "He was throwing a lot of change-ups," said Headley, who had hit a three-run double Tuesday off a 97-mph fastball.

Said manager Bud Black of Olsen: "He did a good job of keeping the ball down and away against us."

The Padres have three games against the Braves before the All-Star break. One of their more effective starters, Josh Banks, he of the 3.08 ERA, was to face Atlanta in Saturday's game, but Black is having Banks skip his next start. The moves enables Randy Wolf to start Sunday at Petco Park, where the left-hander has been far more effective this season.

The Padres expect that Wolf and Maddux will attract trade inquiries leading up to the July 31 deadline to deal a player without exposing him to waivers. The Padres, who have a franchise-record payroll and recently guaranteed $4.8 million in the international amateur market, stand to save a seven-figure sum by moving either pitcher.

Maddux prefers to stay on the West Coast because of family ties to Orange County and Las Vegas. The 42-year-old may not be attractive to any West Coast club other than the Dodgers, though their pitching is fairly strong. The Mariners are out of contention, the Angels are deep in pitching and the A's this week traded a starting pitcher, Rich Harden, partly to save money. Maddux's salary is $10 million.

In July 2006, Dodgers General Manager Ned Colletti acquired Maddux from the Cubs for shortstop Cesar Izturis in a trade-deadline move.

6. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    Letting Hairston sit not an option

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/news/2008/jul/10/letting-hairston-sit-not-padres-option/?padres

The name Scott Hairston may not leap to mind when the discussion is sluggers in the National League West.

But entering Thursday, only two players in the division had hit more home runs than his 14: Padres teammate Adrian Gonzalez (22) and Diamondbacks third baseman Mark Reynolds (18).

Hairston has more homers than any Dodger or Giant. He's tied with Matt Holliday and Garrett Atkins of the Rockies, who play their home games in a hitter's paradise.

What's more, Hairston is giving the Padres solid defense in left and center field and above-average speed on the basepaths.

"In all honesty, he's as athletically gifted as anybody you'll come across in this game," said Padres pinch-hitter Tony Clark, a teammate of Hairston's for parts of the past four seasons. "It'll be nice if he continues to settle and realize just how talented he is."

Mindful that he batted just .212 in April and .230 in May, when the Padres were losing ground in the division, the streaky Hairston isn't about to overreact to a three-week surge that has lifted his season batting average to .259 and his on-base percentage to .308.

"I don't think I've really done much of anything," he said Wednesday, a few hours before he hit his fifth home run in five games. "It's what you do today that matters."

He is, however, grateful for the advice of Padres hitting coach Wally Joyner, and the hitting examples provided by teammates such as Brian Giles and Gonzalez.

Improved technique is bringing into play his exceptional strength and bat speed, increasing the chances that Hairston, 28, can become more consistent.

"I've been doing some things with Wally that helped me keep my weight back and use my hands better," Hairston said. "At times, I would get a little jumpy at the plate. I'd be jumping at the ball.

"I watched how Brian Giles does it. He really stays inside the ball. And Adrian. So, I've been taking pieces from them."

When the Padres promoted Chase Headley last month, Hairston stood to lose playing time, and perhaps deservedly so. Hairston had nine home runs but was hitting just .231 with a .296 on-base percentage when Headley made his first start in left field on June 17.

Hairston said he reacted better to being supplanted than he had earlier in his career with the Diamondbacks, when he was replaced by touted prospects such as Chris Young, a center fielder/leadoff man who would help Arizona win the NL West title last season.

"In the past, I may have let things get to me mentally," he said. "I learned from it. Think positive. That's the main thing. Don't get discouraged.

"Chase is up here, and rightfully so. He should be playing every day. He's doing a great job. My mentality was just to stay ready. You never know what the next day will bring."

Hairston has responded by batting .386 with five home runs and five doubles in 44 at-bats since Headley became the regular left fielder. Headley's arrival cut into Hairston's playing time - perhaps to Hairston's benefit, because it enabled manager Bud Black to shield him from unfavorable matchups.

Because Hairston has become a reliable center fielder, he plays alongside the switch-hitting Headley when Black sits his regular center fielder, Jody Gerut, against lefties.

Hairston could still regain the left-field job if the club trades third baseman Kevin Kouzmanoff and moves Headley to his natural position, third base -- a move the front office has discussed.

At the least, Hairston has emerged as a valuable fourth outfielder. He is the rare hitter to be consistently feared at Petco Park, where he has hit .293 with 14 home runs in 188 at-bats since the Padres acquired him from the Diamondbacks last July 27.

"I believe I'm an everyday player," Hairston said. "But I'm just trying to keep it simple. This game will beat you up if you let it."

7. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    Friars fall to 21 games under .500

Friars fall to 21 games under .500

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/news/2008/jul/13/friars-fall-21-games-under-500/?padres

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- All-Star catcher Brian McCann homered and
    drove in three runs to help the Atlanta Braves rout the San Diego Padres 12-3 on Sunday in the rubber game of the three-game series.

McCann extended his on-base streak to eight straight over the last two games.That includes three walks Saturday night and a walk and hit batsman along with his 3-for-3 on Sunday.

The Braves went into the break at 45-50, 6 1/2 games behind the Phillies in the NL East.

Rookie Jorge Campillo tossed six strong innings to even his record at 4-4. He had to leave the game in the top of the seventh when he fouled a pitch off his left foot.

Mark Teixeira had two doubles and two RBIs, and Brent Lillibridge went 3-for-5 with two RBIs.

The Braves took a 3-0 lead in the first on Teixeira's two-run double off Padres starter Randy Wolf (6-9). Atlanta chased Wolf with a five-run sixth inning that featured five singles, and tacked on three more runs in the ninth.

Wolf gave up six runs and six hits in five innings.

Braves starter Tim Hudson made his first Major League relief appearance in his nine year career, pitching a perfect eighth. He had made 301 previous starts.

Kevin Kouzmanoff, who had three hits, drove in two of the Padres runs with an RBI single in the first and his 12th home run in sixth off Campillo. Rookie Chase Headley hit his sixth home run, a 434-foot blast off reliever Mike Gonzalez in the ninth.

The 12 runs were the most the Braves have scored since May 21, when they beat the Mets 11-4 in Atlanta.

The win was the 2,300 for manager Bobby Cox, the winningest skipper in Braves history (1,945). Cox ranks fourth in major league history.

Notes: Padres manager Bud Black will serve as pitching coach for the National League in Tuesday's All-Star Game in New York, where he will be joined by Padres 1B Adrian Gonzalez. ...3B Chipper Jones and McCann will be the Braves' representatives. ... Padres C Josh Bard was scheduled to catch for Class A Lake Elsinore on Sunday and will catch RHP Chris Young there on Wednesday. Young will be making his first rehab start since suffering a nasal fracture on May 21st. ... McCann leads all major league catchers with 18 home runs and 27 doubles. He has 53 RBIs and is hitting .302.

I got the following from one of the response

this shiit is the story of a Padre fan's life!!! I'm sure there is more, and some will say look at the good trades we have made, but damn, we suck, and we suck in a ****** division

:icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil:

If only the Padres had kept these players:

8. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    Another Salary dump. AND NOT BAT!!! ANOTHER AAA PITCHER!!! :icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil:

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/news/2008/jul/22/lefty-wolf-sent-astros-help-cut-padres-payroll/?padres

Left-handed pitcher Wolf sent to Astros, helping cut Padres payroll

Tom Krasovic (Contact)

Tuesday, July 22, 2008
    The Padres today traded veteran starting pitcher Randy Wolf to the Houston Astros in exchange for Triple-A pitcher Chad Reineke.

CINCINNATI – The Padres, who began Tuesday with the worst record in the majors and the highest payroll in franchise history, saved $1.75 million to $3.5 million when they traded pitcher Randy Wolf to the fifth-place Houston Astros for a Triple-A pitcher.

Houston assumed the $1.75 million left on Wolf's $4.25 million salary. The left-hander could make an additional $2 million in performance bonuses, notably $175,000 per start over his next nine starts. Factoring in Thursday's trade of pinch-hitter Tony Clark, the Padres have shed up to $3.875 million from a payroll that had ranked 19th of 30 in the majors.

Clay Hensley will start Thursday for Wolf, who went 6-10 with a 4.74 ERA in 21 starts.

Wolf, meantime, said he's partly to blame for the team's struggles.

"Obviously we didn't win a lot of games," he said from the dugout at Great American Ballpark. "Part of that is definitely my fault. Any time a team doesn't do well, a player has to bear his part of the responsibility. But, I did have a great time here. I'm definitely not leaving with any sour taste in my mouth."

Wolf, 31, and the Padres still might have a future together. The pitcher can become a free agent in November and said a return to San Diego is "definitely something I'd be interested in."

Last offseason, Wolf chose the Padres' one-year offer over a bigger offer from the Philadelphia Phillies. Pitcher-friendly Petco Park was a factor in the decision, said both Wolf and Padres General Manager Kevin Towers. Wolf pitched well at Petco for the Padres, going 5-4 with a 3.17 ERA. But he was 1-6 with a 6.63 ERA on the road. Upset by those numbers, Wolf said he felt like he usually pitched as well on the road as he did at home.

"I can think of only one home run that I allowed on the road that wouldn't have been a home run at Petco," Wolf said of a homer by Jason Giambi at Yankee Stadium. "It just seems like I would have one bad inning on the road."

From the Astros the Padres acquired 6-foot-6 right-hander Chad Reineke, a 26-year-old who has averaged a strikeout per inning in his minor league career. A starter, Reineke is 5-9 with a 4.41 ERA this year in the hitter-dominated Pacific Coast League. The Padres will place him with Triple-A Portland. They project he could become a major league reliever if their coaches can fine-tune his delivery to promote better accuracy.

That Wolf was traded didn't surprise Padres players, but several found it surprising that the Astros are investing in a playoff push, because Houston's playoff chances appear grim in the powerful NL Central. Wolf said Astros GM Ed Wade told him he still believes the Astros (46-54 and tied for last with Pittsburgh) can muster a strong run.

The Padres had deemed it likely, though not certain, that if Wolf had left them in free agency, they would have gotten a compensatory draft pick for the 2009 draft, an option that now goes to Houston.

"It also gives an opportunity to get our foot in the door with Randy," Wade said, "and if he pitches well enough that we want to extend the contract, all that's done against the backdrop of what's going to be a pretty thin pitching market."

Hoffman on Holtzman

After learning Tuesday that Jerome Holtzman smoked cigars, Padres closer Trevor Hoffman, a cigar lover, said he might light one up later in the night to honor Holtzman, who died Saturday. Hoffman never met Holtzman but said he feels indebted to the former sportswriter, who was responsible for the institution of the "save" rule in 1966. "Obviously," said the all-time saves leader, "I benefited quite a bit from him thinking that a reliever's value was something that could be quantified through a statistic. He had a major impact on the game, not only with the closer but the whole bullpen."

Notable

– The Padres had planned for pitcher Chris Young to make a third minor league start on Saturday but might bring him back to start Tuesday's game against the Diamondbacks. "He's ready," manager Bud Black said.

– Second baseman Tadahito Iguchi, recovered from a shoulder separation, might report to the minors Monday, Black said.

• Like Like x 1
  9. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Padres totally gave up. 11 games back? Even management knows this team sucks thats why they are giving away there team. Didnt they know this team sucked at the beginning of the season? Patching up a professional team isnt going to get you anywhere. With the top teams still struggling, I think if they would of pulled some players together they could of made things interesting. Oh well, football is here.

10. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,918 / 4 / -6
    Everything starts at the top, and one has to wonder that if John Moores divorce isnt finding its way into all of this. We are not getting quality players out there, and our farm system is in shambles.

11. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0

more than anything

12. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,918 / 4 / -6
    Everyone of our Pitchers are going out there and pitching with the knowledge that if they make one mistake, and the hitter cashes in, the Padres are going to lose.

The offense cannot revolve around Adrian. If Brian isnt on, then this offense sputters.

A couple of weeks ago I was listening to the post game show on the radio.

They had a stat where if the Padres were behind at the 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th Innings. If the Padres were behind in the 9th Inning this year, they have lost over 50 games this Year. And they went on to give the same stat for those other innings also.

These guys are getting paid Major League wages, they need to start producing as such.

I have lost count of how many times someone has struck out on a 0-2 Pitch that is in the dirt.

13. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    totally agree. that dude last night had a era of 9.75!!!

Total bullshit!

:icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil:

14. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,918 / 4 / -6
    I am still trying to get to watch my first Padre game in person this season. Way, way to busy

15. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    I'm still debating on taking the trip across the lake to see them play the Brewers

:icon_sad:

16. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,918 / 4 / -6
    Since the beginning of March, I have had 5 Sunday’s off. One of those was Mother’s Day, one of those was Easter, one of those was the 4th of July Weekend. I have been on a Baseball Field doing Doubleheaders for the Adult Rec League here in Town. I get $75.00 a game, and I am guaranteed a Double header or in other words I get $150.00 every Sunday.

I was a coach for my Son’s Little league Team, that season ended the end of May, and the Little League All Star Games for me ended the 4th of July Weekend.

OR..........

I have been on a Baseball field for at least 2 games or practice's a week since Feburary and 3 games a week since March.

17. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0

Look at the bright side,

At least you get to be on the field from February to May.

I'M STILL SKIING THOSE MONTHS!!!!!!

:icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek:

:lol:

18. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,918 / 4 / -6
    Water?

19. richpjr

richpjr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    His ERA was 9.75 - after pitching against us. I believe he came into the game with an ERA over 19.

20. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    FROZEN!!! :icon_eek:

There are no mountains to speak of in Michigan, but the sand dunes are amazing. Most of the ski "resorts" are built around some sort of build of of the sand from the last ice age. (I think they are called moraines. :lol: hey! you get a geography lesson in there as well!! :lol:

:lol:

The ground doesn't thaw until Mid March. Most of the college players (at least here at Aquinas) go south at the beginning of the season. They play some tournaments in Fla to begin the season. They start their regular season towards the end of March

21. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +398 / 0 / -0
    Greg Maddux would love to have some run support :yes:

22. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Farm system is improving but it was left in such awful shape unless you had some miracle drafts it'd take a few years to fix. I like Fuson and I think he does a good job in finding talent and I like what they've done recently although it could be better.

The Major league team is only suffering from all those years of not having anything come from the farm. Jake Peavy and Khalil Greene are the only things to come out of the farm pre-Alderson, that's pathetic, and if it wasn't for some lucky trades (Adrian and Cy) our team would have been **** earlier.

You can only put a band aid on a team for so long before all those old guys start falling apart and KT was due to have a bad year in finding bullpen arms.

But unless there are some deals in the horizon or deals made in the off-season that will change the farm or the team I don't see us being very good next season either but I guess KT could always find great bullpen arms again and our pitching could drag us to a winning season again.

23. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +398 / 0 / -0
    Agree but what is wrong with Khalil Green? His average goes down every year. He is hitting .214 and really no power this year.

24. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Your looking at the most 2-3 year span where this ball club might finish dead last in the league. With no farm help and cheap spending, every offseason is going to be boring.

25. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,918 / 4 / -6
    The Padres luck with drafting Pitchers is horrible. How many Pitchers have we drafted, only to have them go out for some sort of Surgery?

26. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,918 / 4 / -6
    And every year they jack up the price of beer. Unles they strat spending you can look for some very lean years ahead of us!

Like I said earlier, is Moores trying to devalue this Team so his Ex wont get as much?

27. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494 / 0 / -0
    Sure seems like. I have completely stopped paying attention to the Padres.

28. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0

That's true, hopefully Carillo will be able to recover and maybe be ready by next season, if he makes a full recovery he could be in the rotation. Stauffer was a bust, I didn't like him when we picked him. I'm not really a big fan of picking the polished guy over the potential guy. There's a risk with every prospect you pick so why not take the guy with the best potential? The Marlins and Rays pick potential guys all the time and the Marlins have won 2 WS doing it that way, you'd think our FO would learn from them.

Anyways as far as our Pitching prospects

Latos will take probably take 2 more years, maybe more before he's ready but he's our most promising pitching prospect.

Inman is probably another year away.

LeBlanc will probably be ready by next season for the majors.

So we have some quality pitching prospects in the minors. Although Latos is really the only true stud, Carillo has some potential if he can recover but we'll see.

29. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    He tries to pull everything, and he sucks against sliders. Pretty much unless he gets a ball inside he's an out. You'd think he's work on his weakness like he did with his defense (he was drafted as an offensive guy with questionable defense).

30. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    you know, this makes me wonder,

when was the last time we had a REALLY good batting coach. One that gets these guys motivated and helps to fix their flaws

???

:icon_shrug: