1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Padres 2010 Articles

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by wrbanwal, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +288 / 1 / -0
    I tend to agree with Matilack that one more bat would make us a real threat. Why anyone pitches to Gonzo puzzles me. I will say, that the Pads are currently showing me and Matilack that we are wrong...time will tell. I really really hope we are wrong. Go Pads!
  2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    I'm not denying the need for offensive help, I just think putting the "pretender" tag on the team with the best record in the National League almost halfway through the season is a bit of a stretch even despite that.

Good pitching is very under-appreciated by the fans.
  3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,154 / 37 / -21
    Thats not even remotely close to what I was talking about.:huh:

Padres are batting .247 as a team right now. The only guy batting over .275 is Gonzalez (.315), and sooner or later teams will just start walking him. It'd be nice to have a solid bat behind him.
  4. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    How many times do I have to type that I'm not denying the need for hitting? :icon_shrug:

I'm just saying, they're getting the job done one way or another so it's a stretch to call them "pretenders".
  5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,154 / 37 / -21
    Then why add a comment like this...?

No need to act like a prick if you agree with what I'm saying.
  6. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    If you read my responses you'd realize I was responding to your labeling them as "pretenders" and not to your claim that they need offensive help.
  7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,154 / 37 / -21
    Ohhh, so naturally you acted like a prick first, then explained yourself to someone else in another post later.:rolleyes2:
  8. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    How was I acting like a prick?

I asked you a question. If it wasn't the case you could have told me so.

That's generally what people do when they're asked questions. (But I suppose others prefer to call people pricks when asked questions)

It's not my fault you jumped to conclusions as to what I was responding to, even after I explicitly stated what I was and was not responding to three times. :icon_shrug:

But I guess you're right. I mean, I suppose I could have helped you better understand what part of your post I was responding to had I added something along the lines of "Not that I'm denying the need for offensive help."

My bad.

(You want to see me act like a prick? That's me acting like a prick.)
  9. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,154 / 37 / -21

Your post was contradictory. In one hand you have a stupid question based on a bad interpritation of what I said, in the other your agreeing with my entire point....can you blame me for being confused?:icon_huh:

I'm just tired of your attitude man. Since before the draft your default setting seems to be stuck on pompous prick, and its exacerbated when you completely misinterprit the point I was trying to make. So just chill the hell out, think about what your saying before you click submit.
  10. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    You do realize it's possible to be in need of offensive help and not be a "pretender", right?
  11. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    And my debating style has been the same since the day I first discovered internet message boards.

I have always made heavy use of rhetorical questions since long before the draft.

If my posting style bothers you, I sincerely apologize, but it has nothing to do with being a prick or anything.

In the current case at hand you labeled the Padres "pretenders" until they acquire more offensive help.

While I agree that the offense is their weakness I do not agree that having this weakness makes them pretenders, hence my disagreement.

I decided to convey this disagreement with a rhetorical question asking why they're pretenders even though they have the best record in the National League, due in large part to one of the best pitching staffs in the majors.

Obviously I do not think you believe wins don't count unless they meet certain criteria, but the rhetoric is there for a reason: To annotate that they're not pretenders because they're still winning games even if it is despite a struggling offense.
  12. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,154 / 37 / -21
    It depends on how you define pretender.

If they add no offensive help at all...at best I can see them squeaking into the playoffs, and then getting swept in the first round. But just as easily I can see Gonzo getting walked the rest of the season, our offense falling to 30th in the MLB in run production, and finishing in 3rd or 4th in the division.

We're right on that fence between average and very good.
  13. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    Fair enough.

I disagree (to an extent) but we'd be arguing in circles if I continue.

We could have saved ourselves a lot of headache had you posted this response to my first reply instead assuming that your two claims (they're "pretenders" and they lack offense) are necessarily intertwined.
  14. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    As long as they finish ahead of the Dodgers! :tup:
  15. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    Bat relief may be on its way! From about 10:30amPST this morning, via Missions Twitter:

Hot off the News Release presses: CF Cedric Hunter off to Triple-A Portland. :icon_banana:

We're (Missions) getting OF Blake Tekotte from Lake Elsinore....

Hunter has a .308 average, with 86 hits; 38 RBI; .375 OBP; .423 SLG at AA San Antonio so far this season...

Adrian needs all the help he can get!
  16. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    I never hold my breath for rookies. You never know whether or not their success can translate to the major leagues.
  17. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    Pretender, bat, no bat. Our Pads are who they are. We aren't getting a big bat without giving up a lot.

and then we would have to pay $$$.

I'm just going to sit back and enjoy

:icon_toast:
  18. wrbanwal

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    Is it September yet??!!

:abq2::abq1::abq2::abq1:
  19. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    My favorite part of the Padres is by far the BULLPEN from Day One.

Why? Because they are SOLID, STELLAR, AWESOME!

Tweeted via SDPadres today, June 27, 2010:

SDPadres
    #Padres Pen has a 1.77 (14 ER/71.1 IP) ERA and a 10.85 SO/9 (86 SO/71.1 IP) this June...
    according to ELIAS...

AND

NO bullpen in Major League history with at least 50.0 IP in a month has finished with an ERA below 2.00 and a rate of 10+ SO/9 (#ELIAS)

That's right, they be making history...:icon_banana::icon_banana::icon_banana: The bullpen has done nothing, but improve so far this season. Suck it, Doyeurs!
  20. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,154 / 37 / -21
    You know it turns out trading Peavy may have been a brilliant move. Guy is having season ending surgery soon, torn muscle in back. I guess throwing max effort for all that time was bound to end in injury.
  21. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,154 / 37 / -21
    17 days to get a hitter! 17 days for Jed Hoyer to decide if he's serious about winning this season.
  22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    I'll post the link when I get home but I read somewhere that he was asking the Mariners about Lee but for some reason their GM didn't even want to give him the time of day.
  23. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,154 / 37 / -21
    It said the Padres "had nothing they wanted."

A nice indictment of our farm system.
  24. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    Can't fault Jed for that, though.

He has a tough road ahead of him. Hopefully he can woo somebody for an addition.
  25. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,154 / 37 / -21
    First we got to hope we have something we can give them, then we have to get a player that wants to be here longer than 3 months.

I thought Texas were suckers giving what they did for Lee. A top prospect 1st basemen, and a very good minor league pitcher among them...for a guy who's going to be a Yankee next year. They have no money to pay Lee, they're a bankrupt team.
  26. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    It's certainly a gamble, but the trade gives them something they didn't have going into the playoffs the only three times that franchise has ever gone: an ace quality pitcher.

That being said, they need to win it all for that trade to be worth it for them so it is a big gamble.
  27. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,154 / 37 / -21

I don't want to give up a bunch of prospects for a guy who's only going to be here 3 months, but I think not having someone in the 4 spot who can protect Gonzalez is really going to hurt us down the road. Pitching will be fine, espescially if CY ever gets back.

I hear Cory Hart and Lance Berkman may be available for trade, I think either would be a perfect fit if Hoyer is serious about this financial flexibility. Also Jermaine Dye is still a FA, but I don't like that option as much.
  28. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    Where would Berkman play?

1st base is taken and he hasn't played the OF regularly since 2004.

I'm not sure if I like the idea of shuffling the defense around in the name of offense.

The last time we tried that we had Ryan Klesko patrolling left field.

Granted, Klesko isn't exactly Berkman, but Berkman isn't exactly Berkman of old either....still pretty good though.
  29. wrbanwal

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    well, I hope they try something to generate more runs and maybe get a pitcher but most of all,

I'm glad we're having this conversation at the all star break!!!

:abq2::abq1::abq2::abq1:
  30. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,154 / 37 / -21
    Yeah I'd put Hart as the #1 best option. Berkman would have to agree to play left field, and Jermaine Dye is a :tdown: