1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Padres 2010 Articles

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by wrbanwal, Jan 27, 2010.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    from the SI power rankings

The pressure will be on the Padres first-year general manager to push for the franchise's first playoff berth since 2006 by making a trade to add veteran talent at the deadline or risk pushing his young starters too far past their innings limits. But San Diego's future is not now. Hoyer should resist the urge to mortgage what's looking to be an increasingly bright future (for his pitching staff, at any rate) and stay the course of trying to compete with the guys he has.

I guess I kinda agree with this.
  2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    That's part of the main reason I'd rather trade for a pitcher than a hitter.

Another hitter would be nice, but I tend to agree with that regarding the future.

But, at the same time, I wouldn't mind mortgaging part of the future for another pitcher for 2 reasons that kinda coincide with each other.

1. We live and die by our pitching so replacing the weak link in the staff (Correia) would only make us that much stronger. Another hitter would be nice but I think the improvement would only be marginal.

2. It would also allow us to help our future while still trying to compete because it can take innings away from the three promising young pitchers in the staff: LeBlanc, Richard, and Latos.
  3. wrbanwal

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    Sources: Padres' Black to get extension

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5391695

San Diego Padres manager Bud Black has agreed to a three-year extension, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

The Padres, perhaps the most surprising team this season, lead the National League West by four games over the Colorado Rockies and boast the NL's best record at 54-37.

The news of Black's extension was first reported by MLB.com. His current contract was set to expire after this season, although the Padres held a club option for the 2011 season.

In three-plus years with the Padres, Black has a 281-297 record.

Black was the pitching coach for the Los Angeles Angels for seven seasons before taking over the two-time defending NL West champs in 2007.

The Padres lost in a one-game playoff to the Rockies in Black's first season and failed to make the playoffs with an 89-74 record. San Diego fell to 63-99 in 2008. Last season the Padres finished 75-87.

Black went 121-116 in 15 big league seasons with five teams.
  4. wrbanwal

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    Padres outfield carries on family tradition

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100719&content_id=12398582&vkey=news_sd&fext=.jsp&c_id=sd&partnerId=rss_sd

SAN DIEGO -- Padres outfielder Tony Gwynn hadn't thought about it, because no one had pointed it out to him.

On a handful of occasions this season, Gwynn has been part of an outfield that included not only himself in center field, but Scott Hairston in left field and Will Venable in right.

What's the big deal?

All three players are the sons of former Major League outfielders, making the fact that they are Major League outfielders as well, on the same team no less, a little unusual.

"It's probably an extreme rarity to have the sons of three Major League outfielders in the outfield at the same time," Gwynn acknowledged. "But once the game is going, you're not thinking about that. You're thinking about what you have to do."

These three players could well find themselves in the lineup again on Tuesday when the Padres open a three-game series in Atlanta. Venable, currently on the disabled list with a lower back strain, is expected to be reinstated from the DL before the game.

Gwynn, the son of the former Padres great and Hall of Famer by the same name, said it's no accident that he ended up playing the outfield. Gwynn practically grew up around the game, following his dad to Jack Murphy Stadium.

"I think if you would have asked my mom, she would say it's a surprise. She wanted me to play infield for so long," Gwynn said. "I didn't start playing the outfield until I was a junior in high school."

When that happened, the younger Gwynn took to it quickly. He knows exactly why, too.

"Once I became adapted to it, I enjoyed it. I think it was from just standing in the outfield with my dad when he got his work in [before Padres games]. So it just seemed natural to me," Gwynn said. "I think I always knew I would end up in the outfield."

Gwynn, who was traded to his hometown team in 2009 from the Brewers, said he picked up a lot of nuances from his father, some he's probably not even aware of. It came from watching how his father prepared himself for games, how he conducted himself.

"I didn't have to work nearly as hard to learn the outfield, with the footwork, the different intricacies of playing out there. For me it was a no-brainer," Gwynn said. "For me, going back on balls has always been a comfort for me. That time I spent in the outfield with my dad ... it made it easier for the outfield to come naturally to me."

Hairston and his older brother Jerry -- currently a utility man on the Padres -- were still fairly young by the time their father, Jerry Sr., concluded a 14-year playing career in the Major Leagues as an outfielder and first baseman with the White Sox and Pirates.

Scott Hairston's best childhood memories aren't simply of watching his father play, but of the time he spent inside the White Sox clubhouse as a kid. He thinks that's where the bug to play professional baseball first bit him.

"It wasn't by accident," Hairston said of becoming a professional baseball player. "Being around the clubhouse growing up, being around guys like Carlton Fisk, Harold Baines, Ozzie Guillen, Ron Kittle ... all those guys that I grew up watching, made me want to be like them. And watching my dad play ... baseball was a no-brainer.

"This is something [playing baseball] that I always loved to do and I never shied away from it. I think what I'm doing now is what I planned on doing as a kid."

Unlike Gwynn and Hairston, Venable wasn't naturally attracted to baseball. His game was basketball growing up.

Venable pursued basketball for the longest time, in high school and then again playing at the Division I level at Princeton, essentially turning his nose up at baseball, a game his father, Max, played at the Major League level from 1979-91 with four teams.

"I wasn't really a great player even before that, even in high school," Venable said. "I hadn't embraced the challenge of baseball. I guess that I just wasn't ready for it. I didn't even know what it entailed.

"But for me, to be honest with you, I just didn't care about baseball at this point in my life."

After skipping baseball during his senior year at San Rafael High to run track, Venable played only basketball during his freshman year at Princeton. Baseball wasn't on the radar for him. It wasn't until his sophomore season at Princeton that he played baseball again.

"As I got older, I was a little more mature and ready for that challenge. I was 19 when I was a sophomore. It was tough for me to break back into it."

Max Venable was Will's hitting coach at Triple-A Portland and the two talked hitting often. Venable still talks to his father on a regular basis.

In that sense, Venable is certainly a lot like Gwynn and Hairston, who keep in frequent contact with their fathers. The conversation usually starts with or comes back to baseball at some point.

"He's constantly reminding me how tough a game it is," Venable said. "Things get tough, and you have to make sure you don't get overwhelmed. At the same time, when things are going well ... don't get too confident. You have to maintain that even keel and stay focused on being consistent."
    • Like Like x 1
  5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    This just in....We still need another bat.
  6. wrbanwal

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    what's our record for come from behind wins?

:unsure:
  7. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Anyone think we could get Roy Oswalt for Jon Garland? :icon_rofl:
  8. wrbanwal

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    +1 at least after last night!!

:abq1::abq2::abq1::abq2:
  9. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
  10. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +432 / 0 / -0
  11. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    Tejada and Ludwick are good solid hitters, I was very happy with these moves.

Time to get a couple of those guys who are hitting around .216 out of everyday lineup.
  12. Shelia

Shelia Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone here.I am so glad to come in here,good to see you all.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    You're an idiot.
  14. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    Does Ludwick count? :icon_tease:
  15. wrbanwal

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    :lol:
  16. wrbanwal

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    read this on a blog can't verify it for truth but....

That is the first time in franchise history that the Padres have 70 win before anyone else in the NL.

:tup:
  17. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +288 / 1 / -0
    We are so far a head of last year! I think if you are a SD fan this has got to be FUN! I expected nothing from the team with the 2nd lowest payrole. I bought the MLB package anyway just so I could watch Padre games in the northwest. Money well spent! Damn!:tup::lol:
  18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    First time at 25 games over .500 since 1998.
  19. PB Bolt

PB Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +135 / 3 / -0
    The Pads have never swept the Cubs in a 4 game series at Wrigley. Today is as good a day as any.
  20. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    Padres are choking like Nate Kaeding in the 4th quarter right now. 7 strait losses.
  21. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    They will rebound. I have forseen it. Working on a slumpbuster now. :p All good teams this year went through a losing streak, like the White Sox. They are winning and winning and winning
    as we were. The planets will align. Things will balance out.

I am going to Luebke's first ML start tomorrow night. Can't wait.
  22. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +205 / 1 / -0
    Make that 11 straight losses, wtg padres I now know how a Bronco fan feels.
    • Like Like x 1
  23. HUN

HUN Y'all can call me HUN!

Ratings Received:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    They beat the Duds last night and last I heard they were winning again tonight. Hopefully they sweep the Duds in this series as they have six road games coming up.... three at SF and three in Colorado... :eek:
  24. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    The skid ended at 10.
  25. HUN

HUN Y'all can call me HUN!

Ratings Received:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Yup the Padres beat those Duds again last night.... 2 in a row...:tup: A book is calling the Duds heavy favorites to win today...:tdown:

UGH.. I hate these broken smileys....
  26. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    Dodgers are probably favored because the rookie's starting today.
  27. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    Slumpbuster

Heath Bell Sacrifices Chicken to Break Padres Losing Streak By Larry Brown September 7, 2010 - Posted in Baseball

[​IMG]In a 162 game season, the potential for things to go wrong in baseball is great. Even for a team winning its division, things haven’t gone perfectly for the San Diego Padres.
    The Pads just snapped a 10-game losing streak with a win over the Dodgers on Monday night. Sick of losing for a week and a half straight, the team went to great lengths to change their luck. They didn’t try on red thongs or gold underwear, but they did pull a Chase Utley and do some voodoo. From the San Diego Union-Tribune:
    Stealing from the movie “Major League,” before Sunday’s game against Colorado, Heath Bell asked a clubhouse attendant to bring in a bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken to be sacrificed.
    Even if it didn’t lead to a turnaround on Sunday, the Padres figured things out a day later beating the Dodgers 4-2. Maybe they needed to give it a few hours before the chicken reached the baseball gods in heaven. Bell of course was there to close out the win for his 38th save. He has the look of Rube Baker, the personality of Rick Vaughn, and the smarts of Jake Taylor. Doesn’t get much better than that.:coolboltnana:

Padres Sacrifice Chicken to Break Losing Streak
  28. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
  29. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    Stauffer, Padres push NL races to final day

10/02/10 7:44 PM ET
    Stauffer, Padres push NL races to final day

Righty keeps club in West, Wild Card with 6 1/3 sterling innings

By Gina Mizell / MLB.com

SAN FRANCISCO -- One month ago, Tim Stauffer was spending much of his time tucked away in the Padres' bullpen in the unsung role of long reliever.

The right-hander was center stage on Saturday afternoon, and he delivered one of the best performances of his career in a critical October game that was full of playoff implications.
    Stauffer tossed 6 1/3 innings of one-run ball against the Giants, propelling the Padres to a 4-2 victory over San Francisco at AT&T Park to stay alive in both the National League West and Wild Card races.

San Diego's win shaved the Giants' lead in the division to one game, with the regular-season finale coming on Sunday. With the Braves' 7-0 loss to the Phillies on Saturday, the Padres pulled into a tie with Atlanta atop the NL Wild Card standings with one game remaining for each club.
    Padres closer Heath Bell worked a tense ninth inning, allowing a run before closing it on a double-play grounder.

Stauffer's only run allowed came on a homer to left by Juan Uribe in the seventh inning. In all, he gave up three hits while tallying four strikeouts and two walks.
    Since moving into the Padres' starting rotation on Sept. 6, Stauffer (6-5) has allowed eight runs in 34 1/3 innings.

The Padres (90-71), meanwhile, had their way with Barry Zito, who lasted just three-plus innings after giving up four runs (three earned) on five hits and four walks.

Zito (9-14) walked Yorvit Torrealba and Scott Hairston with the bases loaded in the first inning to give the Padres an early 2-0 lead. Another run crossed in the third, when a hard-hit grounder to third by Hairston forced a high throw by Pablo Sandoval to try to retire Adrian Gonzalez at second base, allowing Miguel Tejada to score.

Tejada made the score 4-0 in the fourth when he sent a single to left to bring home Stauffer, who had walked to start the frame.

Giants manager Bruce Bochy was ejected from the game after the sixth inning following an argument with home-plate umpire Mike Everitt. With runners on first and second, Buster Posey was called out on strikes to end the sixth.
    • Like Like x 1
  30. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    The season now rests in the hands of Mat Latos.

Hopefully the Braves lose, though, so they don't need a game 163 to get into the playoffs. (Although one would still be played to see who gets the division)
    • Like Like x 1