1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Padres/Baseball Offseason

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by rexy2006, Nov 18, 2006.

1. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    Padres' Waller dropped after 19 years with team

By Tom Krasovic
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

November 18, 2006
    Another longtime Padres employee is departing the organization. First-base coach Tye Waller, who spent 19 years with the Padres, said he is seeking a job with another franchise after being told by manager Buddy Black he is being replaced.

“I am grateful to (Padres owner) John Moores for giving me the opportunity to be here this long,” Waller said yesterday.

Black, who was hired last week, is retaining four coaches and will hire fellow San Diego State alum Bobby Meacham and Padres Triple-A Manager Craig Colbert.

Meacham was a minor league manager with the Angels when Black was their pitching coach. He is a former major league infielder who last season was the Marlins' third-base coach. Colbert was a Giants catcher when Black pitched for San Francisco in 1992-93 and has managed the Portland Beavers the past three years.

Meacham likely will succeed Waller. Colbert and third-base coach Glenn Hoffman, a former Dodgers manager, are candidates to succeed Tony Muser as the bench coach.

Waller this year was the Padres' baserunning and outfield coach. He said he is proud the team was first in the majors defensively at converting balls in play into outs and was third overall in stolen-base percentage (79.9) and seventh of 30 in stolen bases (123). “We worked hard on those things,” he said.

From 2000-05, Waller was the director of player development and was a strong advocate of the Padres creating an opportunity for second baseman Josh Barfield, who gave the Padres a solid rookie season before being traded to the Indians last week. Waller hired, among others, pitching coach Darren Balsley, who rose from Double-A to the Padres in May 2003; Lake Elsinore manager Rick Renteria and Arizona League manager Carlos Lezcano, who recently won the Padres' Jack Krol Award for contributions to player development.

Also departing the Padres in recent weeks were longtime employees such as manager Bruce Bochy (24 consecutive years with the Padres); broadcaster Tim Flannery (23 years with the Padres' field personnel) and Director of Minor League Operations Priscilla Oppenheimer (24 years with the organization).

:icon_shrug: I hope all this "shaking" equals a whole lot of "baking".:icon_huh:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    Around the majors-November 18, 2006

[​IMG]ATHLETICS: General Manager Billy Beane has had conversations with Barry Bonds' agent Jeff Borris about the 42-year-old slugger, The Associated Press reported .... Gave Bob Geren a two-year contract, promoting the ex-catcher to his first managerial job in the majors after extensive experience managing in the minor leagues and winter ball.

[​IMG]DODGERS: Former AL batting champion Bill Mueller, limited to 32 games with the Dodgers last season before undergoing knee surgery, retired and will serve as a special assistant to Los Angeles General Manager Ned Colletti.

[​IMG]PHILLIES: Finalized a $5.45 million, two-year contract with infielder Wes Helms.

[​IMG]RED SOX: Infielder Alex Cora is staying with Boston Red Sox, agreeing to a $4 million, two-year contract.

[​IMG]BLUE JAYS: Finalized an $18.12 million, two-year contract with Frank Thomas.

[​IMG]CUBS: Acquired left-hander Neal Cotts from the White Sox for reliever David Aardsma and minor league lefty Carlos Vasquez.

:icon_huh: The A's are talking to Barroids now? Say it aint so!:icon_shrug:
  3. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Well, at least they were ableta keep Balsley!!:icon_mrgreen:
  4. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    Black adds 2 to staff

Tuesday, November 21, 2006
    Last modified Tuesday, November 21, 2006 12:15 AM PST

[​IMG]
    By: BRIAN HIRO - Staff Writer, NC Times

SAN DIEGO -- New Padres manager Bud Black will complete his first coaching staff today by naming Padres Triple-A manager Craig Colbert his bench coach and fellow San Diego State product Bobby Meacham his first-base coach, a club source said.

Black was a senior pitcher for the Aztecs when Meacham arrived as a heralded shortstop from Orange County in 1979. Meacham, 46, spent last season as the third-base coach of the Florida Marlins, his first major-league coaching job. He replaces Tye Waller.

Colbert managed the Portland Beavers for the past three seasons after two years apiece at Single-A Lake Elsinore and Double-A Mobile. The former major-league catcher takes over for Tony Muser.

The Padres on Monday added infielder Luis Cruz and pitcher Leo Rosales to the 40-man roster.

Cruz, 22, is regarded as the Padres' potential second baseman of the future following the recent trade of Josh Barfield to the Cleveland Indians. He was named the player of the year at Double-A Mobile for a season in which he batted .261 with 35 doubles, 12 home runs, 65 RBIs and 65 runs in 130 games.

Rosales, a 25-year-old right-hander, went 5-6 with a 3.21 ERA in 53 relief appearances for the BayBears and recently led the Arizona Fall League with seven saves.
  5. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Looks like Black is seeding his staff with folks he knows...can't fault'im for that, I guess.
  6. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Still aint signed that power hitter? First to worst.
  7. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    The December meetings are STILL coming up very quickly.
    Alot of the biggest trades come down the pike in December.

If December passes and things havent improved, then I'll be pissed.

I dont think the Padres wanted to pay Alfonso Soriano's RIDICULOUS contract that he got from the Cubs. 8 years, $136 million? No Thanks.
  8. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Soriano was a pipe dream, as was Ramirez. The Pads aren't gonna break the bank on a slugger, they're jes not gonna do it.
  9. tboltzcali

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Last time we had a slugger/sluggers was in 98'. After that, production went down. Sorianos gone. Carlos Lee will be gone. Looks like the padres will be done adding power to this team. Kouz is gunna have to be the big bat. Cameron is gunna have to provide us with 30+ hr's. Thats still not going to be enough to repeat.
  10. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    Just something that was an interesting read to me. This is written with tongue-firmly-pressed-in-cheek. Hey, the Padres even get mentioned.:no:

ESPN PAGE 2

Midwest is Home to the Best

By Jim Caple
    November 22, 2006
    Page 2

To paraphrase Fred Willard in "Waiting for Guffman," the Midwest is the best coast in baseball … if you consider the Mississippi River one of the coasts. And you would already know the Midwest is home to all that is good and wholesome and admirable in baseball, except Midwesterners are too grounded and humble and decent to brag about it.

[​IMG]

The East Coast? Forget it. The East Coast is in decline and in denial. Those overpriced, overrated and over-hyped AL East and NL East teams have produced just two world championships in the past six seasons. The Atlanta Braves had a losing record this year. The Yankees get knocked out of the postseason earlier and earlier. The Red Sox are so desperate they recently agreed to pay $51.1 million just for the right to negotiate with Scott Boras.

Meanwhile, the West Coast is too busy producing bad movies, expensive coffee and software security updates to field championship teams. Money Ball has yet to produce an American League pennant in Oakland, let alone a World Series win. The Dodgers haven't won a World Series since Patrick Swayze had a career. The Giants haven't won a World Series since moving to San Francisco. The Mariners and Padres have never won a World Series. The AL West is so weak it can only manage four teams, one of which is in the Central time zone.

And the Midwest? The Midwest is the proud home to the 2006 World Series champion St. Louis Cardinals, the 2005 World Series champion Chicago White Sox, the 2006 American League Cy Young award winner (Johan Santana) and now the 2006 American League Most Valuable Player (Justin Morneau). The best player in baseball (Albert Pujols) and the best pitcher in baseball (Santana) both reside on the Mississippi.

How do the Midwest teams do it while operating with payrolls so limited they include paying their players with postdated checks? It's no secret, and folks on the coasts can see the answer for themselves if they ever bother to look out the window while jetting over what they derisively call "flyover land.":lol: Central division teams succeed the same way everyone does it in the Midwest: by getting up earlier and working harder in worse weather than everyone else in the country.

East Coast and West Coast teams simply buy their rosters, but Midwest clubs raise theirs like the region's farmers who grow the crops that feed the nation. While Derek Jeter is still at a nightclub slurping Grey Goose off the chest of the latest Maxim cover girl, Pujols is building up his powerful wrists by waking up early and milking the cows on the dairy farm he bought with his first contract bonus. While Barry Bonds and Jason Giambi shoot every possible chemical into their body, Justin Morneau is bulking up by eating so much hearty sweet corn on the cob that he could test positive for ethanol. And after a long summer of striking out batters with his 90-plus smoke, Santana ices his arm during the winter by holding it out the rolled-down window as he drives to Lake Minnetonka for a little ice fishing.

The Midwest's supremacy goes beyond the players and the standings, though. You may root for a team on one of the coasts, but when you go to a game, the beer you drink and the hot dogs you eat likely come from the Midwest. Heck, even the stadiums themselves are rooted in the Midwest. The East Coast is the home of the House That Ruth Built, but the Midwest is the home of HOK, the stadium firm that builds most of the game's other houses, including Yankee Stadium 2.

About the only thing the Midwest is lacking compared to the coasts is scandal. The West Coast is the home of the Cream. The Midwest is the birthplace of cream of wheat. The West Coast has the Clear. The Midwest's got milk. The West Coast has Barry's head. :lol: The Midwest has the Metrodome.

Face it. In every way, the Midwest is superior to the coasts right now. Although, admittedly, there is no defense for the Kansas City Royals.
  11. tboltzcali

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Soriano is gone
    Lee is gone

Doesnt look good for the padres this year.
    1b gonzo
    2b
    3b Kouz
    ss Greene
    Lf
    Cf Cameron
    Rf Giles
    C Bard

Look who the Cubs have..
    Soriano
    Lee
    Ramirez
    Pitchers
    Peavy
    Young
    Hensley

This looks like the team to beat in 07.
  12. tboltzcali

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Padres are looking to trade for Manny Ramirez. Not sure if it will happen. But they are about to sign Craig Counsell to a 2 year deal.
  13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,347 / 19 / -3
    Now its Counsell willing to go to the Brewers
    Btw Ramirez wants to go someplace with an unobtrusive media as opposed to Boston

Niiiiice :yes:
  14. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    Season Ticket Holders Meeting for ALL plans tonight! Lots of peeps including me, going.

Hopefully, the **** wont hit the fan!:fan:
    There wont be any drama. :drama:
    And NO Beating Dead Horses! :deadhorse:

I want GOOD NEWS dangit!
  15. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    Only player that attended was Clay Hensley, looking quite spiffy in a sportcoat and jeans. He lives in Texas in the off-season, unless hes moved here. Didnt say.

Cla Meredith was supposed to come out from Virginia, but at the last minute his sister went into labor.

The only entirely new news that I hadnt heard was that Geoff Blum is definitely coming back.

They are offering arbitration to Chan Ho Park, Dave Roberts, Ryan Klesko, Alan Embree, and Todd Walker.

They are still looking at getting either Graffanino, still looking at Marcus Giles(some boos) or Mark Loretta(which drew a big cheer) at second base.

Main pieces they are looking for are a power-hitter(duh) and a left-handed starter.
  16. tboltzcali

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    I think landing Ramirez is a huge no. its going to cost us too much in a trade and his salary is going to be costly.
  17. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    Not to mention he has complete no-trade powers. He can veto a trade to any team. If the Sox even sniff at a trade with team they better talk to Many first or it could be an embarassing situation. They've possibly been alrready doing this.
  18. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    KT also said that the rumors of Peavy and Gonzalez going to Boston are completely false. They arent going anywhere.

After it was over, my sister walked down to talk to KT. While she was waiting her turn to speak to him, someone asked out loud what player would KT look at when he became available next year.
    Both my sister and KT answered at the same time, "Vernon Wells". Vernon Wells is a power-hitting CF for the Jays. Amaaaazing....
  19. tboltzcali

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    3b, outfield and catcher is my main concern for this team. We can plug 2b with a solid player and no not graff. I wouldnt sign him. I would go after giles or loretta, maybe look at Crede from the whisox.
  20. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    They also mentioned interest in Durham for second, along with Giles and Loretta. I dont think the ChiSox would part with Crede. Dont know if hes untouchable, but close.

They dont want to have to offer arbo to Piazza. Something about they would have to pay him 8-10 meelion dollars. That means they are sticking with Bard and Bowen I guess.

They are offering arbo to Roberts. We'll see what happens.
    3rd Baseman Kouzmanoff was recieved in the trade for Barfield. Kouz has power numbers in all levels of the minors. He was MLB.com's Player of the Year for 2006.
  21. tboltzcali

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Roberts isnt going to stick around here. He will leave and play for boch in SF. Kouz will not put up big numbers this year. Decent but nothing big. Durham will do, so would loretta or giles. But we will be missing that big bat we been needing since Vaughn hit 50+ in 98'. Our lineup will be weak and our run production will be terrible next year. I see a first to worst finish next year. Its going to be a boring off season until the chargers get back on the field. Hopefully we win the super bowl cuz that can last forever. The pads will not compete until they sign some top players. I know, I know, money sometimes doesnt buy a championship, but if you look at the team we have, money is going to improve this club and I just dont see us doing much. No one wants to come here. I feel bad for the players that did come here and then bochy leaves. KT tries to make this an all San Diegan team and sometimes it just doesnt work. Our run production was horrid last year. If we dont put some hitters in this lineup, our pitching will be wasted. I believe you need offense in baseball. Not like football where defense can win you the game most of the time.
  22. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    I dont feel quite as negative. Yes, we need a power bat. We've got good pitching that they are going to add to.
    Peavy, Young and Hensley are the Padres 1-2-3. I'm very happy with that. Add a quality lefty and a possible fifth and thats set.

I will wait to feel more doom and gloom once the guys offered arbo are negotiated with. Plus, the Winter Meetings are in Florida in two weeks also. LOTS of action is expected and will happen.

I am not jumping off the wagon.
  23. tboltzcali

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
  24. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,347 / 19 / -3
    the Giants will reload in FA and yet still have one of the oldest teams in hte majors :icon_huh:
  25. tboltzcali

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Dodgers are reloading and looking better than the padres are so far.
  26. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Mebbe ya oughtta check out their potential starting outfield, then compare starting pitchers before you continue your bash on the Pads prospects for 2007.
    • Like Like x 1
  27. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    This is an opinion shared by many, from another forum-

our current 3rd and 4th outfielders, Jose Cruz Jr. and Russell Branyan, might just be better than that overpaid, weak-armed, never-on-base, groundout-hitting, gets-caught-stealing-25%-of-the-time, scrub (Juan Pierre).
  28. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    You know alla this how??

Pretty bleak outlook, y'all axt me.
  29. tboltzcali

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Look at the stats. Look at the run support we had in the last two seasons especially the playoffs. We arent going to win with the lineup we have. I think the dodgers have the edge this year and we will be looking up sniffin *** this year.
  30. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    You're posting like you actually are looking forward to it happening, and are gonna enjoy it when (if) it does.