1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Padres/Baseball Offseason

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by rexy2006, Nov 18, 2006.

1. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    word
  2. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    Giants still interested in Wells

Tuesday, Jan 2, 2007 10:34 am EST

SAn Francisco Giants manager Bruce Bochy gave David Wells a call right before the team signed Barry Zito to let him know they were still interested in him.
    Wells, who said he definitely will pitch in 2007, has also drawn interest from the Philadelphia Phillies, San Diego Padres and Arizona Diamondbacks.
    Source: Boston Globe[​IMG]

I've said it before and I'll say it again, even with the influx of former Padres, GIANTS SUXOR!:yes: :tdown: :yes: :icon_evil:
  3. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    They can still buy the Farm, they have not run out of $$$$$$$$$
  4. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]Tales from the voice of the Padres

By Pat Sherman
    TODAY'S LOCAL NEWS
    January 4, 2007

[​IMG]JIM BAIRD / Union-Tribune

On Saturday in Escondido, retired Padres sportscaster Bob Chandler (left) will recount his experiences behind the mike, such as interviewing Padres superstar Tony Gwynn.

For more than 30 years, Bob Chandler had a prime seat for San Diego Padres games – behind the mike. His soothing, well-modulated voice helped convey to fans every line drive, infield fly and career-defining home run. Chandler was there when the Padres advanced to the World Series in 1984. Although they were defeated by Detroit 4-1, the energy was intoxicating, he said.
    “The Padres had only had one winning season since 1969,” Chandler said. “In 1984, it all came together and they ended up winning the pennant. ... The noise level at San Diego Stadium was just unbelievable.”

Chandler will discuss more than 30 years of daring plays and unforgettable players at 3 p.m. Saturday at Escondido Public Library. The semiretired sportscaster will read from and sign copies of his book, “Bob Chandler's Tales from the San Diego Padres.”
    Chandler wrote the book in collaboration with San Diego baseball historian Bill Swank. A forward is provided by Chandler's longtime broadcast partner, Jerry Coleman. It includes vintage photos, witty asides, inside stories and colorful characterizations of the team, dating to its inception in 1969.

Coleman began covering Padres games as a sports director at Channel 39 in 1970; he went to work full time for the Padres in 1972. In those days, the Pads were barely a blip on the radar, he said. “For the most part, they were really a bad team,” he said. “Attendance was low. There wasn't a lot of excitement.”
    Fans began to fill San Diego Stadium, today known as Qualcomm, after McDonald's magnate Ray Kroc purchased the team in 1974, Chandler said.
    Between 1968 and '72, attendance topped off at 644,000 for the season, Chandler said. After Kroc purchased the Padres, it increased dramatically.
    “A bad ball club that lost 102 games drew a million people for the first time,” said Chandler, 68, after attending the recent Holiday Bowl. “At that time in baseball, a million people was sort of the benchmark. ... Today, they draw between 2 to 3 million people.”
    Chandler retired in 2003, a year before the Padres transferred to Petco Park. He said the downtown digs are a better fit for baseball.
    “Qualcomm was built for both major-league baseball and major-league football, and so it was a compromise,” Chandler said. “It wasn't perfect for either sport. ... Baseball really needs a more intimate surrounding.”
    Throughout his years of traveling with the team and conducting interviews, Chandler developed close relationships with team members. Eight-time batting champ Tony Gwynn and Cy Young Award winner Randy Jones add further insight to Chandler's book.
    “You're on the buses, you're on the airplanes, you're in the hotels,” Chandler said. “You're very close to the players.”
    Chandler has fond memories of former Padres third baseman Ken Caminiti, who was awarded the Gold Glove three consecutive years while with the Padres and was unanimously selected as the National League's 1996 MVP. In a 2002 interview with Sports Illustrated, two years after his retirement and two years before his drug-related death, Caminiti admitted using steroids while a member of the Padres.
    “I knew he used creatine, which is a muscle builder, which is legal, but I didn't know he was shooting himself up with steroids,” Chandler said. “I didn't even think about Caminiti using steroids.”
    Chandler is resolute in his view of professional athletes and steroid use.
    “As much as I loved Ken Caminiti, he cheated,” Chandler said. “Barry Bonds is about to set the all-time home run record, surpassing Hank Aaron. I'm a baseball purist, and it appalls me that somebody who cheated ... is going to have the all-time home run record.”
    Asked if any Padre has been overlooked in the annals of history, Chandler pointed to power hitter Nate Colbert, who started with the fledgling team in 1969.
    “It was so long ago and it was such a bad team that you almost forget about him now,” Chandler said, “but he hit 38 home runs one year for the Padres. That was with a permanent wall up in the stadium – which was 18 feet high.”
    Chandler said that if that wall had not been there, Colbert might have tied Roger Maris' home run record.
    “He hit 17 balls that hit the wall on the fly,” Chandler said. “Obviously, those would have been home runs, and that's 55 right there.”
    Before his work with the Padres, Chandler also served as an announcer for a young, powder-blue San Diego Chargers. In his opinion, this year's playoff-bound team is the strongest the franchise has ever known.
    A resident of Tierrasanta, Chandler has four adult daughters who all grew up with baseball.
    Did they develop a love of the game?
    “How could they help it?” Chandler said. “They would come to Yuma for spring training every March, and they really enjoyed that.”
    Although Chandler enjoys playing golf with his friends and attending games as a spectator, he's still available should the networks slide the mike in his direction.
    “I'm available, but the phone's not ringing a lot,” Chandler said with a laugh.

If I'm up for it, I might head on up to Escondido Saturday...
    I've met Bob, he is a very nice man.:tup:
  5. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 0 / -0
    Bochy can have all the old Padres he wants.
  6. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    We still suck. Wells wouldnt help as much as people would think. The guy should just go out and retire. We need hitters now.
  7. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Man, you needta go somewhere else, you're a real downer.
  8. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Seems cuz you're a mod, I can't put'chu on ignore...congrats, you've managedta ruin what otherwise is a great site.
  9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    Acentuate the positive. Eliminate the negative.

You should really take a breather from the pads if they gots your knickers all in a bunch.
  10. tboltzcali

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    First off, this is a Charger board. I would see your point if I talked like this about the bolts.

Second, what do you think these boards are for? How can anyone's opinions be wrong? Opinions are just that. Im not going to sugarcoat my opinion so people will like me here! I tell it how I feel. Thats part of being a mod. I am giving the padres the benefit of the doubt. Ive said that in many of my posts. Spring training will tell the truth. I havent counted the padres out...just yet. I dont like their chances so far, but all that can change after spring training.

The padres really have nothing to do with me being a mod here at BOLTTALK.COM, just incase you all forgot where we are posting at.
  11. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0

"Still aint signed that power hitter? First to worst."

"Your negativity speaks volume to what kinda "fan" you are. The pitchers and catchers don't even report til the end of February, and you're already condemning this team to the toilet swirl."

"Pretty much. This team will only compete for the title the first week of the season. How can you tell me you are confident about this team? Im embarassed to be a padre fan."

"I said I would give them until the beginning of the season to seriously put the smack down. A fan from the early 1980's, the padres were my first love. I will always be a fan, but when you put sorry product on the field, who wants to see it?"

"Boch will lead the giants to the west title. Pads will finish somewhere near the bottom."

"We still suck."

Well, mr big-time moderator, thats not too negative, not really.
  12. tboltzcali

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    So my opinions are wrong? I havent seen anything from this franchise for my comments to turn positive. They have decent pitching, average hitters. Not a big formula for a series champion. Until I am told by Ray that my comments are too strong for posters here, I stand by my words that the padres at this point "suck" and that we will finish "somewhere near the bottom". On the otherhand, Im "keeping my faith" with this Charger team that has "put a winning product" on the field. I am not embarassed to be a Charger fan, never was, never will be. We have superstars on this Charger team, L.T., Rivers, Gates, Merriman, Phillips, Jamal....who are the padre superstars? Hoffman? Giles? or should I stick with Gwynn, Garvey, Kennedy, and Gossage?
  13. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Free country, and not my forum, so you're able to spew your venom-jes wish there was something the powers that be here would do for me, as a personal favor, and allow me to put you on ignore so I don't hafta see your drivel.

Ray, Conc, Thumper, can can y'all make that happen, as a personal favor?? I'd 'preciate it.
  14. tboltzcali

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Mr. BFiSA, you shouldnt take my opinions to the heart my friend. We all know the padres are going to accomplish a couple of things. But the thing is, in our opinions, they will accomplish different things. Im not worried about it. If they do win the west and are a serious playoff contender, I will eat my words. I vowed to leave this topic alone until after spring training. But I just wanted to help the faithfuls realize that this team assembled for this coming year is mush. After the Cubs went out and put up a solid team (Lee, Ramirez, Soriano), how can our "good" pitching compete with that? I can tell you, remember the playoffs last year? Our dominant pitching coughed up a couple of runs, but our hitting was horrid. Now, take the same lineup, minus Roberts, Barfield, Piazza and thats a great combination of not enough run support. I dont know why KT thinks this team is going to make another run at the title. Although I believe a title isnt that far away because of the fact that the NL West is weak. Dont mix me up with a screwball padre fan, like I said, I been a fan for many years. I just hate when we patch up a team and quickly think we can compete off the bat. I dont know how your hopes can be so high of this team just because we will be defending the title again this year. If we make some great acquisitions this off season, then I could and would understand. But at this point, I dont see it. Maybe if you can help me understand your point and help me become excited as you are, I would appreciate it mucho!
  15. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    Of course you can post your opinion. You have one and can express it just like anyone else. I know your frustration with the Pads, but really there is nothing any of us can do to improve the situation. We have to wait and see what the team can do.

Last two seasons they have won their division. That is a good starting point. I am just sayin we should wait and see what happens before we burn them in efigy. But of course you can post what you like, as any user can.:tup:
  16. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    Unfortunately that is a feature we cant control. If thine eye offends thee... Wait one, thats not what I want to say.... Ahhh dont read the posts.

People are not all going to be giddy until they see to puddin on the table. I have to admit, the off season seems really lack luster to me right now, more going out than is commin in. But I have to wait and see what we get.
  17. tboltzcali

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    And thats what I said, I will wait until spring training to review my thoughts of the upcoming season.
  18. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    OK, Bro, if thats the best y'all can do, fuq'im
  19. tboltzcali

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Rephrase??
  20. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Ok...fuq'u
  21. tboltzcali

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Dont fuc me, fuc KT for puttin poor product on the field.
  22. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    Bard agrees to deal with Padres
    ASSOCIATED PRESS

10:12 a.m. January 15, 2007

SAN DIEGO – The Padres avoided arbitration with catcher Josh Bard on Monday, agreeing to a $1.05 million, one-year contract. Bard is the frontrunner to take over the starting job vacated when Mike Piazza signed as a free agent with Oakland. An early season pickup from Boston, Bard started 50 games and appeared in 93 for the NL West champion Padres. He hit .338, with nine homers and 40 RBIs.
    Unable to handle Tim Wakefield's knuckleball, Bard was traded from Boston to San Diego along with reliever Cla Meredith for catcher Doug Mirabelli on May 1. He and Rob Bowen backed up Piazza.
    Infielder Todd Walker is the only Padres player remaining in arbitration.

I thank KT from the bottom of my heart for this trade...

<!--Article End--><!--Bibliography Goes Here-->
    • Like Like x 1
  23. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,448 / 19 / -4
    along with Gonzalez/Young/Sledge deal

how dumb do the Rangers look?
  24. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    Tres stupide mon ami.
    • Like Like x 5
  25. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  26. tboltzcali

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Atleast we know we have some players on the Pads that wont let our team be disrespected in our House!!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  27. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Rexy, d'ju see this??

[​IMG]
  28. tboltzcali

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    think wells is going to sign?
  29. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    yup, he did
  30. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,448 / 19 / -4
    1 yr incentive laden deal

Peavy, Young, Hensley, Maddux, Wells

Thompson, Stauffer, Estes, Carillo backups

Damn that's a nice staff!