1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Padres/Baseball Offseason

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by rexy2006, Nov 18, 2006.

1. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Except Carillo isnt going to make the staff this year, if he has a chance, it will be at the end of the year.
  2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    Carillo might have season ending surgery from what I hear.

Maybe next year for him.

The rotation with Peavy/Chris Young/Greg Maddux/Clay Hensley/David Wells looks pretty damn good.

The offense is pretty sad.

If the Padres win a 3rd in a row the pitching will have to carry them (again)

It's not out of the realm of possibility, but i'm not ubber excited either. Well, not moreso than I generally get just because it's baseball.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    I would be willing to plop down a 20 dollar bill saying that our Opening day lineup and our last game of the "Season" playoffs included, differ by 4 players, and the Pitcher does not count.

or half our lineup will change during the course of the season.
  4. tboltzcali

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    No bet from me cuz I am thinking the same.
  5. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=640 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=450 colSpan=3>Way too cool news:

NEWS | SAN DIEGO
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>
    Money in the Morning

By GEORGE CHAMBERLIN, Daily Transcript Executive Editor
    Monday, January 29, 2007

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Speaking of the NYSE, Padre pitcher Trevor Hoffman will be on hand Wednesday to ring the closing bell after trading. Most people who get the opportunity to bang the gong are usually touting a product or special event. Trevor will be there simply to be honored for setting the all-time major league baseball record for saves last year at 482.
  6. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG] :tup: :icon_toast:
  7. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    Linebrink-Rowand deal off for now

By Bill Center
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

January 31, 2007
    The Padres have at least temporarily tabled a trade offer from Philadelphia that would have brought outfielder Aaron Rowand to the Padres for relief pitcher Scott Linebrink. “It might be something we discuss again later this spring,” Padres General Manager Kevin Towers said yesterday. “But right now I want to see what we have in spring training. I want to see how (outfielder) Terrmel Sledge plays and how our bullpen shapes up.”
    Rowand hit .262 for the Phillies last season with 12 homers and 47 RBI.
    The 29-year-old right-hander is respected as a fearless outfielder. “He'll run through the wall for you,” Towers said. “In fact, he has.”
    Rowand has a .279 career batting average with a career-best of .304 with 24 homers and 69 RBI for the Chicago White Sox in 2004. He was traded to the Phillies before the start of last season for slugger Jim Thome.
    Rowand missed two weeks last season after breaking his nose while crashing into the center-field fence at Philadelphia. On the play, Rowand caught a two-out, bases-loaded drive off the bat of Xavier Nady.
    Rowand, who recently avoided arbitration by accepting $4.35 million from the Phillies, has one flaw to his game. He seldom walks and last year had a .321 on-base percentage. Over the past three seasons, Rowand has drawn 80 walks and struck out 283 times.

"Scotty has been part of every off-season trade proposal. I am surprised he is still a Padre..."
  8. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    Miscellany

[​IMG]The signing of David Wells is official. The 43-year-old left-hander passed his physical exam Monday. Wells is guaranteed $3 million this season and could earn $7 million if he makes 27 starts and collects all his performance bonuses.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Danglin the carrot, as it were.
  10. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    From the UT:

Usually the bells are ringing for Trevor Hoffman. Today the majors' all-time saves leader will be ringing the bell himself. Hoffman has been selected to ring the closing bell at the New York Stock Exchange this afternoon. He will not be accompanied by AC/DC.

:abq2: From me:

FINALLY! Channel 9 just showed the vid of Trevor ringing the closing bell at the NYSE today. (This is after President Bush made an appearance, becoming the 2nd standing President to visit the trading floor. He was delivering his State of the Economy speech.)

Trevor wore a dark blue suit and was accompanied by his wife, Tracy. He made the bell ring several times, then banged the gavel several times AND pumped his fist. The Padres logo was shown on a screen behind his head.
  11. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Good stuff...saw it on Fox News. :tup:
  12. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    Glad you got to see it. He had a ****-eatin grin on his mug the whoooooooooooole time...:icon_toast:
  13. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Yup, he looked contented. :tup:
  14. tboltzcali

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Would of been funny if he choked like he did a couple of times last year. But he nailed it down to get the save.
  15. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    Considering the ratio of times he chokes to the number of times he doesn't, it's not suprising in the slightest that he nailed it down.
  16. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]
    Hoffman closes one out at NYSE
    02/01/2007 6:58 PM ET
    By Lyle Spencer / MLB.com

Even in the dead of winter, Trevor Hoffman knows how to close a deal.

Baseball's all-time saves leader got the call from the New York Stock Exchange on Wednesday to deliver the closing bell, and, as usual, the San Diego Padres great was up to the task. All that was missing at the 4 p.m. ET bell-ringing was a rousing PETCO Park ovation after Hoffy's familiar entrance to the sounds of AC/DC's "Hells Bells."

This was a first for Hoffman, but he's accustomed to handling responsibility under pressure, having saved a Major League-record 482 games.

Hoffman is coming off one of his finest seasons, aging like fine wine at 39. He was runner-up to Arizona's Brandon Webb in the National League's Cy Young Award balloting after notching a league-best 46 saves -- the second highest total of his career -- in 51 opportunities for the National League West champion Padres.

His 2.14 ERA was well below his 2.71 career norm, and opposing batters hit only .205 against him.

Hoffman's .896 career save percentage is the highest among pitchers with at least 190 saves. He began his Major League career with Florida in 1993, departing at midseason for San Diego in a trade that sent Gary Sheffield to the Marlins.

A five-time All-Star, Hoffman has been a model of consistency, delivering at least 30 saves a record 11 times and 40 or more saves an unprecedented eight times. He has produced 965 career strikeouts in 885 1/3 innings while walking only 250 hitters.

He collected his 479th career save, eclipsing former record-holder Lee Smith, in dramatic fashion. In the Padres' final home game on Sept. 24, Hoffman pitched a perfect ninth inning against Pittsburgh to nail down a 2-1 victory in the heat of an intense division race.

He was honored with the National League's Rolaids Relief Man Award, named Padres Pitcher of the Year and was the first recipient of the Fireman's Award, recognizing the Padres' top relief pitcher.
  17. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    from gaslampball.com:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=text style="BORDER-TOP: #cccccc 2px dotted">'White House
    I have it on good authority that Hoffy is having dinner at the White House this weekend (or early next week, not sure which) with Bush, David Wright and our boy David "Fat" Wells. Apparently Bush has a few ballplayers over for dinner every off-season to "talk shop," being he is a former Major League owner and all.'

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=text>by ruppertjones </SPAN>on Thu Feb 01, 2007 at 04:25:19 PM EST
  18. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +40 / 0 / -0

I think the offense will be better this year than last, but probably still pretty anemic.
  19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    I agree. I think it will be a slight improvement from last year....but still not that good.

But, who knows, maybe Bud Black can spark some life into them. When the offense got hot they were pretty damn good. The problem was, those hot streaks were far and few in between.
  20. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +40 / 0 / -0

I will also be interested to see how the construction around the ballpark effects offense. This season there should be almost no significant wind blowing in from RF.
  21. tboltzcali

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    The thing is, we dont get a "hot streak" when we need it most.

*Note* The last two years in the playoffs, our offense didnt show up.
  22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    That, too
  23. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    The Tailgaters teased teh listening audience saying there would be a BIG Padre announcement at 1:35 today. Then, they specified a big STATION announcement. Ohhhhhtaaaaaaay.

So, Sandy Alderson comes on and announces they signed Jerry Coleman through 2009. He will announce the Pads till he drops.:abq1:

Then, SAndy said that some guy from Chickago name Andy Mazer will be the color guy(replacing Tim Flannery) with Jerry and Ted on the radio, announcing games starting this season. Heard the name, havent heard his stuff.

In other team news, Chan Ho Park signed with the Meats.
  24. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    edit: Andy Masur
  25. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    from the Marin Independent Journal.com:

February 10, 2007

Around the Bases:

- Tyler Walker, who grew up in Ross, is a non-roster invitee to the Giants spring training camp. Jesse Foppert, a standout at San Rafael High, is a non-roster invitee to the Seattle Mariners spring training camp. But the most impressive spring training non-roster invitee from Marin will be Will Venable. The 24-year-old left-handed hitting outfielder from San Rafael has been invited to San Diego Padres major league training camp this spring. He was the Padres' minor league player of the year last season when he hit .314 with 91 RBIs at Single-A Fort Wayne (Ind.) then led the Hawaii Winter League in batting with a .330 average.
  26. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,446 / 19 / -4
    any chance or interest we sign Bernie Williams
  27. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    I havent read anything in the UT or anywhere. Seems to be only cropping up as an idea on a couple forums...

Dude would be the shite off the bench. He rakes doubles.
    • Like Like x 1
  28. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    From Yahoo! Sports:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=yspsctnhdln>Padres to sign injured Marine as minor-league pitcher</TD></TR><TR><TD height=7><SPACER height="1" width="1" type="block"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- A Marine who lost a finger on his left hand while serving in Iraq has agreed to terms with the San Diego Padres, the team said Monday. Right-hander Cooper Brannan will report to minor league spring training March 1. The 22-year-old injured his left hand during a second tour of duty Iraq. Team spokesman George Stieren said Brannan lost his left pinky.

The team planned to announce the signing at a news conference Tuesday at Marine Corps Recruit Depot in San Diego.

Brannan was born in Houston and attended high school in Gilbert, Ariz.
    Stieren said Padres general manager Kevin Towers "was adamant that we were doing this because of his potential, not because it was a great story. "This was a legitimate baseball decision."

Updated on Monday, Feb 12, 2007 10:33 pm EST
  29. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    Same story from today's UT:

Padres to give Marine spring tryout

UNION-TRIBUNE

February 13, 2007
    The Padres' ongoing search for baseball talent recently found an unusual source: the United States Marine Corps. The Padres are enlisting Cooper Brannan, a Marine corporal whose service includes two tours of duty in Iraq.
    A former pitcher for Highland High in Gilbert, Ariz., Brannan worked out for Padres scout Brendan Hause recently and will participate in spring training with fellow minor leaguers. The 22-year-old right-hander is to report to Peoria on March 2.

“He is a little raw, but he is very athletic and has a great body and a loose arm,” said Grady Fuson, Padres vice president of scouting and player development.

Brannan sustained wounds to his left hand during his second deployment, which resulted in his being sent to San Diego Navy Medical Center.

“The (Marines) are going to let him out of his deal a year early to pursue this,” Fuson said. “We'll give it a shot for a year. There's nothing but good that can happen here.”

Fuson said a few Marines recommended Brannan to Padres CEO Sandy Alderson, who served four years as a Marine infantry officer with a tour of duty in Vietnam.
    – TOM KRASOVIC
  30. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    Last story, I promise. This story has piqued my interest:
    [​IMG]

Marine earns new job with Padres
    02/13/2007 8:09 PM ET By John Schlegel / MLB.com

Cooper Brannan is a decorated Marine with two tours of duty in Iraq behind him.
    Now he can say he's a professional baseball player with a potential of playing in the Major Leagues in front of him.
    The Padres announced Tuesday that they have agreed to terms on a Minor League contract with Brannan, a 22-year-old right-hander who as a Marine corporal was wounded in Iraq but came back to the U.S. to find his dream of playing baseball was still very much alive.
    "I never figured when I was in Iraq that I'd be given this opportunty again, coming back from there," Brannan said Tuesday morning.
    But there he was Tuesday, talking about having just received a contract from Grady Fuson, the Padres' vice president for scouting and player development, as the announcement was made at a press conference at Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego.
    Padres CEO Sandy Alderson, who served four years as a Marine infantry officer with a tour of duty in Vietnam, said Tuesday that while the Padres are active partners with the military, there should be no doubt the aim of this signing.
    "First of all, it's about baseball," Alderson said. "Cpl. Brannan would not be signing a contract today if he didn't have the kind of talent our scouting department and player development people feel had potential and ulimately the possiblity of playing the Major Leagues."
    Brannan sustained wounds to his left hand from a flashbang grenade during his second deployment and was sent to San Diego Navy Medical Center for treatment and rehabilitation.
    Said Brannan: "I looked at my hand injury and I said 'This is nothing. I've got nothing to worry about.' My injury was far less worse than most. I picked up and I started working out again and started striving to do better."
    Brannan, whose voice cracked with emotion when talking about his fellow wounded, first started playing again with the Marine Corps team and then met Alderson at a function celebrating the Marine Corps' birthday, and that meeting eventually led to Tuesday's event.
    Brannan has been in the Marine Corps for nearly four years and will officially sign a professional baseball contract once his discharge paperwork is finalized.
    Brannan was recommended to the Padres by scout Brendan Hause, who worked out the Houston native.
    "This is a great opportunity for both parties," Fuson said. "He's a young and athletic Marine with a solid build, a promising arm and a great breaking ball. The Padres love taking chances on athletic players, and we're excited to have Cooper in the organization."
    Brannan attended Highland High School in Gilbert, Ariz., where he was a three-year letterman in football and baseball.
    Enlisting in the Marines in July 2003, he graduated boot camp three months later as a platoon honor man. He completed the School of Infantry in December 2003, and after training at 29 Palms, Calif., and Echo, Colo., he was deployed in Iraq in February 2004 as an infantry team leader.
    Returning to 29 Palms in October 2004, he was redeployed to Fallujah, Iraq, in September 2005 as infantry squad leader. He injured his hand in November 2005, sustaining multiple injuries resulting in amputation of the left little finger.
    He was medically evacuated to Naval Medical Center San Diego, where three surgeries were performed, followed by rehab and occupational therapy.
    Married on Jan. 20, 2006, to Lindsay Marie Wagener, Brannan was a member of the All-Marine baseball team and USA Military All-Star team while assigned to Headquarters and Service Battalion at MCRD in San Diego.
    Brannan was awarded the Combat Action Ribbon, Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal, Iraq Campaign Medal, Sea Service Deployment Ribbon (twice), National Defense Service Medal and Certificate of Commendation (individual award).
    Joining Padres executives at the press conference were representatives of the Marine Corps, including Brigadier Gen. Angela Salinas; Col. Matt Redfern, Brannan's commanding officer; and troops who served with Brannan in Iraq.
    "He's a great Marine. But they don't want him for that," Redfern said at the press conference. "They want him because he's a great baseball player, and I know he'll do great things for them as well."
    The Padres have long had a strong relationship with the military in the area, holding special days for the troops. In 2003, broadcaster Jerry Coleman and relief ace Trevor Hoffman paid tribute to the servicemen and women who served in Iraq with the dedication of the 22nd Little Padres Park at Camp Pendleton.
    With Brannan in the fold, the Padres' relationship with the Marines has hit a new level. "I think he's representative of a lot of service members, Marines in particular, who have a lot of other tremendous qualities beyond their commitment to our country and their willingness to protect the freedoms we all enjoy," Alderson said.