1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Padres Game Articles

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by rexy2006, Apr 5, 2007.

1. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +847 / 1 / -0
    Kouz Powers Padres to Victory/Giles to go on DL

GO PADRES:abq1: :abq2: :abq1: :abq2:
  2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  3. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  4. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    Peavy does it with arm and bat

05/27/2007 9:24 PM ET By Elizabeth Botello / MLB.com

SAN DIEGO -- Ace right-hander Jake Peavy could do no wrong on Sunday, as the Padres swept the Milwaukee Brewers with a 3-0 victory.

Peavy (7-1) got the victory after shutting out the Brewers in seven innings. Peavy lowered his ERA from 1.63 to 1.47 after allowing just two singles. He struck out eight and walked one.
    "He's pitching great, no doubt," San Diego manager Bud Black said. "I thought today that Jake's mechanics were under control from the first pitch. He had all his pitches working. I saw compact delivery."

Peavy also did his part in the batter's box, lacing an RBI double to left field to score Geoff Blum in the sixth inning.

"I hope the opposing pitcher looks at me and says, 'Hey, I've got to pitch to this guy because he can hurt me,'" Peavy said. "And fortunately, I did that today."

Marcus Giles brought Peavy in with a single to center field. Giles went 2-for-4 on the afternoon and was 5-for-14 against the Brewers in the three-game series.

"I did take a nice deep breath after I ran in and got that ball and [we] scored a couple extra runs," Peavy said.

The Padres (29-21) shut out the Brewers (28-22) with Peavy's help and relievers Heath Bell and Trevor Hoffman -- who got the save, the 497th of his career and 15th of the season in 17 chances.

San Diego enjoyed its first series sweep -- in front of a PETCO Park crowd of 41,246 -- for the season. Peavy's wife, her family and his neighbors were in attendance, as well as a number of military men and women in the right-field stands.

"To sweep these guys and do what I do and come out with a win is special," said Peavy, who has won four straight decisions and leads the National League with his 1.47 ERA. "[I came] out today to do that and to send us off the road with a 5-1 homestand."
    Said Gonzalez: "We have great pitching, and we're just going to ride behind that through the season. We feel we have a great team. We have a good lineup and we are happy about that.
    "Everybody is going to have their struggles here and there, but our struggles are very rare. We feel we have a great team. We felt it since Spring Training. We just needed [Kevin Kouzmanoff] and [Mike Cameron] to get going, and they did and their stuff's been there."

Gonzalez was part of a nice play in the top of the sixth inning.
    The Brewers' Craig Counsell was on first base when starting pitcher Jeff Suppan came to bat.

Suppan bunted down the first-base line. Gonzalez started a 3-6-4 double play to shortstop Geoff Blum, who threw to Giles covering first.

"The way that Jake was pitching, to get those runners out of the bases was just huge for him," said Gonzalez. "Even if he's safe at second, I know we can probably get the out on first."

Said Black of Gonzalez's quick movement on the play: "You look at our first baseman, this guy plays the game with an aggressiveness on defense. This guy is a great defender and he is not afraid to take chances. And that play is one that he is so confident in. His arm is outstanding."

Gonzalez blasted a 375-foot home run to right field in the top of the fourth inning for a 1-0 lead. Gonzalez leads the Padres in home runs with 12. The first baseman also went 1-for-2 to improve his average to .302.

Suppan (6-5) took the loss. The right-hander yielded three earned runs on six hits in six innings. He struck out three and walked six (one intentionally).

The Padres improved their home record to 17-9.
    "Everyone did their job, offensively and pitching," Peavy said. "I think we are playing the ball we are expected to play. We have to scratch and claw for everything we get."

Added Giles: "We are just starting to get to know ourselves and play as a team. Our pitching's dynamite, and I think we are getting hits when we need it. It's just what our team needs. We have a scrappy ballclub, and it's a lot of fun to be out there."
  5. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  6. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  7. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    Young, Padres slam overmatched Pirates 9-0

ASSOCIATED PRESS

6:43 p.m. May 30, 2007

<TABLE cellPadding=2 width=284 align=right><TBODY><TR><TD>[​IMG]
    Associated Press​
    Chris Young dominated the Pittsburgh Pirates again, allowing four hits over seven innings in the Padres' 9-0 victory Wednesday night, their eighth shutout of the season. The victory is powered by a Khalil Greene grand slam.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>PITTSBURGH – Chris Young dominated the Pittsburgh Pirates again, allowing four hits over seven innings in the Padres' 9-0 victory Wednesday night, their eighth shutout of the season. Young, a former Pirates farmhand, walked one and struck out seven. Pittsburgh has managed seven hits in 23 2-3 career innings against Young (6-3).

Khalil Greene's grand slam in the eighth inning gave San Diego a 7-0 lead. The Padres have won four of five and seven of nine and remain one game behind the Dodgers and a half-game behind the Diamondbacks in the NL West.

The Pirates, who won the series opener Tuesday, had won four of five.
    In his two previous starts against Pittsburgh – both last season – Young took a no-hitter into the sixth inning. His no-hit bid June 4 at PNC Park lasted 5 1-3 innings and he allowed two hits in eight shutout innings. On Sept. 22, in San Diego, Young lost a no-hitter with one out in the ninth on Joe Randa's two-run homer.
    Pittsburgh had 11 players on the roster who had faced Young before Wednesday, and they were a combined 3-for-49 (.061) against him. The Pirates went 4-for-24 (.167) against Young on Wednesday.

The best chance Pittsburgh had to score was in the sixth, when Paul Maholm singled with one out and Jose Bautista followed with a double. But Young got Chris Duffy to foul out down the third base line and Freddy Sanchez to fly out to center.

The Padres took a 1-0 lead in the third after consecutive singles by Greene and Paul McAnulty off Maholm were followed by a sacrifice by Young and an RBI groundout by Marcus Giles.

Young came up with runners on second and third and one out in the fifth. A pitch after fouling off an attempted bunt on a squeeze play, Young smacked a line drive up the middle to score Kevin Kouzmanoff and make it 2-0.

Mike Cameron's two-out single in the eighth scored Giles and ended Maholm's night. Jonah Bayliss entered the game and walked two batters before Greene's shot to straightaway center. It was the second grand slam of the shortstop's career – the other on Sept. 17, 2005, against Washington – and second of the season for the Padres. Kevin Kouzmanoff hit a grand slam last week.
    Cameron added a two-run double in the ninth.

Maholm (2-7) was charged with four runs and six hits in 7 2-3 innings with five strikeouts and two walks. The Pirates have won only three of his 11 starts this season.

Notes: Pirates OF Xavier Nady was given the night off despite hitting .391 with three home runs and 13 RBIs in his past 11 games. ... The Pirates have never won a series from the Padres at PNC Park. ... With one game remaining in the month, San Diego has allowed 65 runs over 26 games. That is the lowest total in the majors this month by 34 (Los Angeles Dodgers).
  8. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  9. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    Cameron's 11th-inning homer helps Pads win

Associated Press
    Posted: 16 minutes ago

PITTSBURGH (AP) - Mike Cameron hit a go-ahead homer in the 11th inning after tying it with a run-scoring double in the ninth, and the San Diego Padres overcame a disputed call taking away a home run in a 4-2 win over the Pittsburgh Pirates on Thursday night.

The Padres rallied from a two-run deficit and won despite a dominating outing by Pirates starter Shawn Chacon, who shut them out on three hits over seven innings.

Chacon outpitched Greg Maddux before San Diego came back to tie in the ninth against Salomon Torres on RBI doubles by Adrian Gonzalez and Cameron. Cameron had extra-base hits in each of his final three at-bats.

Cameron led off the 11th with his fifth homer, a drive into the right-field seats off reliever Josh Sharpless (0-1), making his third appearance since being called up from the minors. Josh Bard followed two pitches later with another drive that appeared to reach the right-field seats for his second homer.

Bard took his home run trot and put his catching gear back on, only to have Joe West's umpiring crew reverse the call after Pirates manager Jim Tracy successfully argued the drive struck a thin metal railing above the right-field wall and did not leave the park.

The reversal changing it to a double caused Bard to race off the bench and start yelling at the umpires - a burst of anger similar to that by Kansas City's George Brett when he lost a 1983 homer against the Yankees when too much pine tar was detected on his bat. Bard chased the umpires from second base to first, getting ejected along the way by plate umpire Ed Rapuano, and Padres manager Bud Black also was ejected for arguing.

Bard and Rapuano could be seen screaming obscenities at each other, with Rapuano warning Bard not to push him any further.
    As it turned out, the ruling didn't matter - Rob Bowen, running for Bard, scored on Khalil Greene's sacrifice fly to get the run back and make it 4-2.

Cla Meredith (2-2) won it with a scoreless 10th and Trevor Hoffman pitched the 11th for his 16th save in 18 opportunities and the 498th of his career.

Torres had been scored upon only once in his previous 12 appearances, only to have a performance reminiscent of his early season problems, when he was in jeopardy of losing his closer's job after losing once and blowing three saves in span of six appearances.

Torres' ineffectiveness cost Chacon a victory in only his second start since after replacing Tony Armas in the Pirates' rotation. Chacon struck out the first four batters and six of the first eight in what would have been his first victory as a starter since Sept. 20 - when he beat Maddux, who was then with the Dodgers.

Chacon dodged the wildness that bothered him Saturday against the Reds, when he allowed only one run in 3 2-3 innings but walked five - forcing him to leave before he could get the decision in Pittsburgh's 9-5 victory. Against the Padres, Chacon walked only one and was in control from the start, giving up only two singles until Cameron doubled with one out in the seventh.
    Maddux couldn't get his 338th career victory despite limiting the Pirates to two runs over 6 2-3 innings, mostly because Chacon - who has 298 fewer career wins than Maddux - pitched better. That was a rarity during May for a starter opposing the Padres as their starters went 14-5 with a 2.20 ERA for the month.

The Pirates, taking two of three in the series, were aided by third baseman Kevin Kouzmanoff's error while scoring in the first following Jose Bautista's leadoff single. Freddy Sanchez reached when Kouzmanoff couldn't make the play on his slowly hit grounder, allowing Bautista to score on Jason Bay's sacrifice fly.
    Maddux, 25-18 in his career against Pittsburgh, didn't allow any more scoring until pinch-hitter Nate McLouth doubled leading off the seventh and scored on Sanchez's two-out single. McLouth ended an 0-for-20 streak as a pinch hitter.

Notes: Heavy rain, accompanied by numerous lightning strikes, delayed the start by 47 minutes. ... Bay has 14 RBIs in his last 12 games. ... The Pirates have won only one of nine home series, a three-game sweep of Houston in late April. ... San Diego's No. 5 hitters were 0-for-30 over eight games until Bard singled in the second. ... Cameron's homer was the 200th of his career. ... Black was ejected for the first time as San Diego's manager.
  10. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    OK Bards Ball hit the railing and bounced back onto the field, the ball is still live!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not one Pirate picked the ball up and made a play on him!!!!!!!!!!!!

He trotted around and touched all the bases!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He should of been credited with a inside the park home run!!!!!!!!!!

Its the Pirates park, they know thier rules, and they watched him run around the bases.
  11. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    You are exactly right, Mr. Umpire. I wonder if they will realize it. I hope Bard doesnt get suspended for bumping the ump.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    Yes he will, they can not touch an Umpire during an argument.

I would argue the fact that he ran the bases, and they did not make a play on him.
  13. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    The only comment I have, cuz I didn't see it, is if the umps signalled a HR. That would mean a dead ball.
  14. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  15. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    If you make a call, you cant undo it. If you call a ball "Foul" you cant go back and make it fair.

Also they are playing in Pittsburgh, the Pirates should know thier own ground rule, they made it.

If you know you blew a call, then why did the home plate Umpire have such a quick trigger. The Home Plate Umpire tossed Bard before he was even had said one word, and it looked like he was tossed when he was half way between the dugout and the Home plate Umpire.

They teach way back in Umpire School, if you blow a call, and you know you are going to have to eat a *hit sandwich, do not be quick to toss that person, you are going to get an earfull!!!!!
    • Like Like x 2
  16. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure the umps knew they blew the call until Tracy came out to beef. The umps looked like they were satisfied with their HR call until then.

As for the Pirates knowing their own ground rules, isn't that why Tracy came out in the first place??

As for tossing Bard, you have a point; it was a quick hook.

Doesn't matter, they still got the run in...still haven't heard whether Bard'll hafta sit tonite.
  17. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    Bard is playing on appeal. He didnt start tonight's game, but he will start tomorrows game.
  18. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    Padres 11, Nationals 3

/ Associated Press
    Posted: 3 hours ago

WASHINGTON (AP) - Justin Germano is staying in San Diego's rotation, while the status of hard-hit Washington starter Levale Speigner remains unclear.

<!-- FOXBITE -->Germano won his fourth consecutive start, Rob Bowen drove in a career-high four runs and the Padres rode a six-run first inning to an 11-3 victory over the Washington Nationals on Saturday night.

Germano (4-0) is unbeaten in five starts since being called up from Triple-A Portland to replace the injured Clay Hensley in the Padres' rotation.

Because of his strong series of starts, Germano will remain in the rotation. Hensley, who was out with a strained right groin, was activated from the 15-day disabled list Friday and optioned to Portland.

"It's still early, but I definitely feel like I earned a spot to stay up here for a little bit," Germano said. "I'm not saying off of five starts it should be locked in, but I definitely am happy with the way I've gone about pitching since I've been up."

Germano allowed three runs and six hits over six innings to help San Diego win for the sixth time in eight games.

Padres manager Bud Black said the right-hander continues to impress.
    "He's proven himself in his starts and he's deserving to be in the rotation," Black said. "There is no reason to think at this point we are going to make any changes in the immediate future. He knows what is ahead of him. This is a performance game and he is performing."

Khalil Greene matched a season high with four hits and Paul McAnulty homered for the Padres.

The Padres battered Speigner (1-2) for six hits - two of them coming on mental mistakes on catchable fly balls - en route to a quick 6-0 lead. San Diego sent 11 men to the plate before Speigner drew derisive cheers for cleanly fielding a Terrmel Sledge grounder for the third out.

Marcus Giles drew a leadoff walk and advanced to second when center fielder Nook Logan broke back, allowing Sledge's pop fly to fall in front of him for a single. Adrian Gonzalez lifted a fly to short left field and neither left fielder Ryan Church nor shortstop Cristian Guzman took charge as the ball dropped between them, loading the bases.

"Nook misjudged the ball. ... The ball to left field should have been caught - it was up in the air forever," Nationals manager Manny Acta said. "I'd rather see two guys collide trying to catch the ball than looking at each other."

Mike Cameron struck out, but Kevin Kouzmanoff and Greene had RBI singles before another run scored on a fielder's choice when third baseman Ryan Zimmerman's wide throw to second pulled Felipe Lopez off the bag. Bowen hit a sacrifice fly, Germano poked a run-scoring single to right and Giles singled home another run.

Speigner, who was 0-0 with a 14.81 ERA in three previous starts, lasted four innings, giving up six runs and seven hits. He walked one and struck out three.

"I gave up hit after hit and in that situation, just go out and try to do some damage control," Speigner said. "I didn't do a good job of that in the first inning. No matter what happens behind me, it still puts it on me to save runs."

Acta wasn't willing to guarantee Speigner, a rookie, another start - though he admitted that Speigner rebounded well after a rough first inning.
    "I don't think his performance had anything to do with the decision we're going to make," Acta said.

Washington averted its third shutout in five games in the sixth. Guzman hit a two-out triple and scored on Zimmerman's single up the middle. Dmitri Young followed with his fifth homer, a shot into the mezzanine in right-center.

Bowen had a three-run, bases-loaded double in the seventh. McAnulty hit a two-run homer off Ray King in the ninth.
    Notes: *Germano got his first major league hit and RBI in the first and his first extra-base hit, a double, in the sixth. ... Young grounded out to end the first, halting a franchise record-tying streak of hits in eight consecutive plate appearances.

*Geoff Blum had the ball that was Germano's first major-league hit in his back pocket. No word what they did to the ball before they gave it to Justin.:icon_eek:
    • Like Like x 1
  19. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    Padres 7, Nationals 3

WASHINGTON (AP) -- David Wells decried the deplorable conditions in which he labored, while Josh Bard tried to make the best of the wet situation.

Wells threw five solid innings in the rain, Bard homered and drove in a career-high four runs and the San Diego Padres beat the Washington Nationals 7-3 on Sunday.

"Terrible, terrible and even worse," Wells said when asked to assess the playing conditions as the teams played in persistent precipitation.

Had the game been postponed, the best makeup option would have been a Monday afternoon game on what was supposed to be an off day for the Padres.

"We just felt like people wanted to go home. They wanted to be home on the off day," said Bard, whose team hosts the Los Angeles Dodgers for a three-game series beginning Tuesday. "We're just excited getting out of here taking two of three."

Since being suspended three games for his actions in a physical encounter with umpires in Pittsburgh on Thursday -- when his apparent home run was reversed and ruled a double -- Bard is 5-for-9 with two doubles, a homer and six RBIs. Washington's Austin Kearns had to make a running catch on the warning track in right field on Bard's seventh-inning sacrifice fly, which came with the bases loaded.

"He's swinging the bat better," Padres manager Bud Black said. "He would have had a real big game if Kearns hadn't made the play against him."

Bard's three-run homer gave the Padres a first-inning lead, and Hiram Bocachica's solo homer -- his first hit since being claimed on waivers from Oakland on Thursday -- snapped a fifth-inning tie.

Wells (3-3) prospered in terrible weather conditions to win for the second time in seven starts. The left-hander allowed three runs on five hits, walked none and struck out two as the Padres won for the seventh time in nine games.

Ryan Zimmerman homered for the Nationals, who fell to 6-22 against the Padres since August 2003.

Steady, and sometimes heavy, rain eventually turned a drizzle by the seventh inning, as the remnants of Tropical Storm Barry passed through the mid-Atlantic. Sandbags greeted early arrivals in the dugouts, water collected between first and second bases, and the grounds crew repeatedly spread drying compound on the soggy infield.

"You were lucky to have a dry ball at any given time," Wells said. "It was terrible. I'm glad we played, but I don't know why we should. Somebody could have gotten hurt."

After Marcus Giles singled, Terrmel Sledge reached on a bunt single when no one covered first and Bard hit a one-out homer to right off Jason Simontacchi's 0-1 pitch for a 3-0 lead.
    "When you throw into his swing pattern, he's going to hit the ball hard. ... You try to hit your spots, and obviously, down and in isn't a good spot," Simontacchi said.

Washington tied it in the third on Zimmerman's homer. Nook Logan singled, went to second on a sacrifice, moved to third on a groundout and scored on Ronnie Belliard's double. Zimmerman then crushed his team-leading eighth home run, a mammoth shot that landed a third of the way up in the left-field upper deck.
    "They told me where it went. Thats pretty far up there, I guess," Zimmerman said.

Simontacchi (2-4) retired 12 straight after Bard's homer before Bocachica connected with one out in the fifth. A throwing error by Zimmerman led to two more unearned runs and Simontacchi's departure.

Marcus Giles reached on Zimmerman's error and Sledge walked before Adrian Gonzalez extended his hitting streak to 10 games with a two-run double to right for a 6-3 lead.

Simontacchi gave up six runs -- four earned -- on five hits over 4 2/3 innings. He walked one and struck out four.

"I thought he pitched decent," Nationals manager Manny Acta said. "He got hurt by the miscues behind him. He made a couple of mistakes, costly ones. He made a couple of mistakes (but) we didn't play well behind him."

Game notes
    OF Mike Cameron was a late scratch from the Padres' lineup because of a tight hamstring. Bocachica took over for Cameron in center field, while Bard moved into his cleanup spot. Cameron flew out as a pinch-hitter in the ninth. ... The Nationals signed 17-year-old Dominican SS Luis Castillo to a professional contract Sunday. ... San Diego 3B Kevin Kouzmanoff was hit in the right shoulder by a Simontacchi pitch in the fourth, but plate umpire Bob Davidson ruled the pitch a ball because Kouzmanoff didn't try to avoid it.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  21. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  22. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  23. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  24. stone86

stone86 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +25 / 0 / -0
  25. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  26. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
  27. stone86

stone86 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +25 / 0 / -0

agreed.
  28. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
  29. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    Padres homer early, often to back Peavy shutout

By Fred Goodall
    ASSOCIATED PRESS

7:00 p.m. June 13, 2007

<TABLE cellPadding=2 width=283 align=right><TBODY><TR><TD>[​IMG]
    Associated Press​
    Jake Peavy allowed two hits and struck out eight in seven shutout innings and the Padres hit three home runs and snapped a season-worst four-game losing streak, 9-0 over the Tampa Bay Devil Rays on Wednesday night.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. – Jake Peavy allowed two hits in seven innings and the Padres hit three home runs and snapped a season-worst four-game losing streak, 9-0 over the Tampa Bay Devil Rays on Wednesday night. The shutout was the Padres' 10th of the season. Peavy (8-1), who lowered his NL-leading ERA to 1.82, struck out eight and walked three while limiting the Devil Rays to a pair of fifth-inning singles by Carlos Pena and Dioner Navarro. The right-hander also extended his major league-leading streak of consecutive innings without allowing a home run to 69, spanning 10 starts.
    “It wasn't no secret – we needed this one,” Peavy said. “Can't afford to drop five in a row.”

Adrian Gonzalez, Kevin Kouzmanoff and Terrmel Sledge homered for San Diego, which rebounded after losing the series opener 11-4 on Tuesday night. “My job is easy when you have to give up nine to lose,” Peavy said. “We just wanted to be aggressive early and slam the door and not let them have any life. They come back and score a few runs, they feel they can chip away at the lead, but we kept them off the board.”
    Peavy (8-1) struck out eight and walked three while limiting the Devil Rays to a pair of fifth-inning singles by Carlos Pena and Dioner Navarro and lowering his NL-leading ERA to 1.82. The right-hander also extended his major league-leading streak of consecutive innings without allowing a home run to 69, spanning 10 starts.
    “With Peavy on the mound, you know you're going to get a lot of strikeouts. He's just a fun guy to be behind,” Gonzalez said. “I mean, it's almost that you can put a lawn chair up out there and enjoy the show.”
    Gonzalez and Kouzmanoff homered during San Diego's five-run first against Edwin Jackson (0-8), who allowed seven of the eight batters he faced to reach base. Khalil Greene added a three-run double in the third off Jason Hammel, and Sledge hit a solo homer off Brian Stokes to make it 9-0 in the eighth.
    Kevin Cameron replaced Peavy after the seventh. Justin Hampson pitched the ninth to finish the combined four-hitter.
    Peavy, whose 0.87 road ERA is the best in the majors, retired 10 in a row before walking Brendan Harris. The Devil Rays didn't get the ball out of the infield until Greg Norton flied to right to end the fourth. Pena began the fifth by lining a 2-0 pitch over Paul McAnulty's head and off the right field wall for Tampa Bay's first hit.
    The right-hander also yielded a two-out single to Navarro in the fifth. The only other time a Devil Rays runner got as far as second base on Peavy was the sixth when Akinori Iwamura and Greg Norton drew walks.
    “In every game a pitcher faces at least a couple of challenges, and that was Jake's challenge in the sixth,” San Diego manager Bud Black said. “He got through it, but I think it took a little bit out of him.”
    Jackson, who may have finally pitched his way out of Tampa Bay's rotation, lasted just 42 pitches and tied the Devil Rays record for consecutive losses to begin a season. Tanyon Sturtze also lost his first eight decisions in 2002.
    Sledge and Marcus Giles singled ahead of Gonzalez's 13th homer of the season. Jackson struck out John Bard before giving up a single to Mike Cameron, Kouzmanoff's fifth homer, and walks to Russell Branyan and Khalil Greene to end the shortest start of his career.
    The Padres built the lead to 8-0 in the third when Greene doubled to left center after the Padres loaded the bases against Hammel on Kouzmanoff's double and two walks.

Notes: Jackson allowed five runs and five hits in a third of an inning. His ERA climbed from 7.39 to 8.20. ... Gonzalez homered for the first time since May 27, a stretch of 53 at-bats. Kouzmanoff hadn't hit one since May 25, a span of 46 at-bats. ... The Devil Rays gave CF Elijah Dukes a day off for personal reasons. RF Delmon Young started in center field. ... Peavy joined Philadelphia's Cole Hamels as the only NL pitchers with 100 strikeouts. Hamels has 104 and Peavy 103.
    • Like Like x 3
  30. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    This story is intriguing!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19215039/