1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Padres Game Articles

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by rexy2006, Apr 5, 2007.

1. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,833 / 0 / -0
    I'm trying to delete my dupe post, but it wont let me.:icon_shrug:

2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Then chalk it up as a post pad!! :icon_eek: :yes: :tup: :icon_tease:

3. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,833 / 0 / -0
    This Blows.

Diamondbacks 5, Padres 4

/ Associated Press
    Posted: 23 minutes ago

The <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = FSTL /><FSTL:CATEGORYLINK categoryId="71615">Arizona Diamondbacks</FSTL:CATEGORYLINK> had no chance against <FSTL:CATEGORYLINK categoryId="220839">Chris Young</FSTL:CATEGORYLINK>.

So they waited until San Diego's ace left the game and went to work on the <FSTL:CATEGORYLINK categoryId="71611">Padres</FSTL:CATEGORYLINK>' stalwart bullpen.
    After spotting Young a four-run cushion, the <FSTL:CATEGORYLINK categoryId="71615">Diamondbacks</FSTL:CATEGORYLINK> rallied for a 5-4 victory over the <FSTL:CATEGORYLINK categoryId="71611">Padres</FSTL:CATEGORYLINK> on Saturday night. The winning run scored on a single by <FSTL:CATEGORYLINK categoryId="139889">Chad Tracy</FSTL:CATEGORYLINK> in the eighth.
    "Right now, we're getting hits at the right time," Tracy said. "That's what we've been preaching all year, being accountable, getting the big hit. Guys are starting to step up, and hopefully we can keep this momentum going."
    The <FSTL:CATEGORYLINK categoryId="71615">Diamondbacks</FSTL:CATEGORYLINK> will go for a sweep of the three-game series Sunday afternoon, with ace <FSTL:CATEGORYLINK categoryId="140279">Brandon Webb</FSTL:CATEGORYLINK> on the mound. They look revitalized after losing 8 of 10 games heading into the All-Star break.
    "Everybody believes this team can win," said starter <FSTL:CATEGORYLINK categoryId="85867">Livan Hernandez</FSTL:CATEGORYLINK>, who allowed four runs and six hits in six innings. "Nobody makes the playoffs in July. There's a lot of baseball left. Let's see what happens. This team is playing good."
    <FSTL:CATEGORYLINK categoryId="418761">Kevin Kouzmanoff</FSTL:CATEGORYLINK>, <FSTL:CATEGORYLINK categoryId="142805">Khalil Greene</FSTL:CATEGORYLINK> and <FSTL:CATEGORYLINK categoryId="85758">Brian Giles</FSTL:CATEGORYLINK> each homered for the <FSTL:CATEGORYLINK categoryId="71611">Padres</FSTL:CATEGORYLINK>, who have lost five of six and fell a game behind Los Angeles in the <FSTL:CATEGORYLINK categoryId="57">NL West</FSTL:CATEGORYLINK>.
    <FSTL:CATEGORYLINK categoryId="85094">Tony Clark</FSTL:CATEGORYLINK> homered and had three hits for Arizona.
    The <FSTL:CATEGORYLINK categoryId="71615">Diamondbacks</FSTL:CATEGORYLINK> managed one run and two hits against Young, who left after throwing 96 pitches through six innings.
    They had better luck against <FSTL:CATEGORYLINK categoryId="222003">Heath Bell</FSTL:CATEGORYLINK> in the seventh, ripping him for three runs and five sharp singles in a third of an inning. <FSTL:CATEGORYLINK categoryId="335725">Stephen Drew</FSTL:CATEGORYLINK> and <FSTL:CATEGORYLINK categoryId="461477">Mark Reynolds</FSTL:CATEGORYLINK> each hit sacrifice flies and <FSTL:CATEGORYLINK categoryId="418795">Miguel Montero</FSTL:CATEGORYLINK> singled in a run to tie the game at 4.
    <FSTL:CATEGORYLINK categoryId="104172">Orlando Hudson</FSTL:CATEGORYLINK> led off the eighth with a double down the left-field line off <FSTL:CATEGORYLINK categoryId="85550">Scott Linebrink</FSTL:CATEGORYLINK> (2-2). One out later, Tracy singled up the middle to score Hudson. Manager Bud Black said he went to his bullpen after six innings because he didn't want to push Young, who pitched an inning in the All-Star game on Tuesday night.

"I didn't think it was necessary for Chris to grind out over 100 pitches on three days' rest when we still have 2 1/2 months left in the season," Black said. "Three days' rest, fresh bullpen, and if I'm not mistaken the best bullpen in baseball."
    Young didn't question Black's decision to pull him, nor did he criticize the bullpen for squandering the victory.
    "Buddy made the right decision," Young said. "If I was out there again tomorrow, I'd do the same thing, hand it over to those guys. They're awesome."
    Arizona's bullpen was better. <FSTL:CATEGORYLINK categoryId="104239">Juan Cruz</FSTL:CATEGORYLINK> and <FSTL:CATEGORYLINK categoryId="104197">Brandon Lyon</FSTL:CATEGORYLINK> (6-3) each pitched a scoreless inning and <FSTL:CATEGORYLINK categoryId="140915">Jose Valverde</FSTL:CATEGORYLINK> pitched the ninth for his 27th save in 30 chances, tying Milwaukee's <FSTL:CATEGORYLINK categoryId="85350">Francisco Cordero</FSTL:CATEGORYLINK> for the major league lead.
    A San Diego pitcher has never thrown a no-hitter. But for four-plus innings Young looked as if he might, lowering his <FSTL:CATEGORYLINK categoryId="51">NL</FSTL:CATEGORYLINK>-best ERA to 1.97.
    "He's just a tough guy to gauge, even if you're guessing right on him," Arizona manager Bob Melvin said.
    Young mowed down the first 13 <FSTL:CATEGORYLINK categoryId="71615">Diamondbacks</FSTL:CATEGORYLINK>. With one out in the fifth, Clark hooked an 0-2 pitch inside the right field foul pole to end Young's perfect game and shutout.
    Young has allowed four homers this year. Clark has hit three of them.
    Clark's blast ended Young's string of 80 2-3 innings without giving up a homer - a streak that began after Clark homered twice against him on April 26.
    While Young dominated, the light-hitting <FSTL:CATEGORYLINK categoryId="71611">Padres</FSTL:CATEGORYLINK> were hammering Hernandez, whose last victory was May 27, a span of eight starts.
    In the third, Kouzmanoff hammered an 0-1 pitch 390 feet into the left field bleachers to put the <FSTL:CATEGORYLINK categoryId="71611">Padres</FSTL:CATEGORYLINK> up 1-0.
    In the fourth, Greene hit a 3-1 pitch two rows into the seats in left-center field to give San Diego a 2-0 lead.
    In the fifth, Giles made it 4-0 with a two-run homer into the right field seats. Notes: Greene's homer was his 16th, breaking his <FSTL:CATEGORYLINK categoryId="71611">Padres</FSTL:CATEGORYLINK> single-season record for a shortstop. Greene hit 15 homers in 2004, 2005 and 2006. ... Hernandez has allowed 19 homers in 19 starts. ... Arizona OF <FSTL:CATEGORYLINK categoryId="85278">Eric Byrnes</FSTL:CATEGORYLINK> singled in the seventh and has reached base in 54 of his last 59 games.
    I am thinking that this is just a rusty bullpen. Our guys have been nails all season long. There's no way in he-double hockeystick that our bully goes down the crapper all at once. Not all of them, NO WAY. BTW F the Snakes.:icon_evil:

4. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  5. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,833 / 0 / -0
    Padres on deck
    [​IMG]
    By: DAN HAYES - Staff Writer vs. New York Mets

< Where: Petco Park
    < Probable starters:

Today ---- RHP Jorge Sosa (7-3, 3.92) vs. LHP David Wells (4-5, 4.31 ERA), 7:05 p.m.

Tuesday ---- RHP Orlando Hernandez (5-4, 3.20) vs. RHP Jake Peavy (9-3, 2.19), 7:05 p.m.

Wednesday ---- RHP John Maine (10-5, 2.91) vs. RHP Greg Maddux (7-7, 4.35), 7:05 p.m.

< TV: 4 SD, all three games

< Radio: XPRS (1090 AM, 105.7 FM); XEMO (860 AM, Spanish)

< At a glance: The Mets come to town after winning three of four in Cincinnati following the All-Star break. ... Neither of the Mets' left-handed pitchers, Oliver Perez (8-6) or Tom Glavine (8-6) will pitch in this series as they went back-to-back over the weekend. That's too bad for the Padres, who are 17-11 against lefty starters this season. ... One factor the Padres will have to deal with is the blistering speed of the Mets, who lead the majors with 111 steals in 135 attempts. SS Jose Reyes leads the charge with 46 steals in 59 attempts. He's also hitting .308 with six homers. 3B David Wright also offers a lethal power-speed combo. He has 16 homers and 51 RBIs while stealing 20 of 21 bases. OF Carlos Beltran has 16 homers and 14 steals. ... Despite their prolific speed and decent power, the Mets are only 10th in the National League with 408 runs scored. ... New York has a 51-40 record after 91 games largely because of a pitching staff that ranks third in the league in ERA. ... The Mets' starting pitchers are 38-34 with a 3.99 ERA; the team's relievers are 13-6 with a 3.55 ERA and 20 saves. ... The Padres won only two of seven contests against the Mets in 2006. The all-time series is tied 205-205.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  7. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...s.ap/index.html

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- David Wells was wearing an "Old Guys Rule" T-shirt, which pretty much summed up his night.

Not only was Wells on his best behavior, but he threw a handful of knuckleballs in six solid innings that helped the San Diego Padres beat the NL East-leading New York Mets 5-1 on Monday.

Michael Barrett went 3-for-4 with three RBIs, his best game since coming over in a trade with the Chicago Cubs on June 20. Mike Cameron homered for the Padres, who led the NL West at the All-Star break before falling into second place behind Los Angeles after losing two of three at Arizona over the weekend.

Wells (5-5) was pitching for the first time since he was suspended for seven games and fined $3,000 by the commissioner's office for his animated argument with an umpire on July 14.

Wells appealed, so the penalty can't start until after a hearing and a decision.

The 44-year-old lefty broke out the knuckleball for the first time since throwing one to Jose Canseco more than a decade ago.

"He popped up to third and cursed me all the way to first. I loved it," Wells said.

"Hell, I don't throw 90 anymore, so I might as well invent something else. Wilbur Wood out there, huh?" he said, referring to the left-handed knuckleballer who pitched in the majors from 1961-78.

Wells' last pitch of the night was a knuckleball to Paul Lo Duca, who lined out to second.

"He just eyeballed the hell out of me," Wells said. "I just looked and said, 'My bad, Dawg! That was a good one.'

"To me, it's another pitch in the arsenal. I'm not going to get carried away. You pick your spots with it. My other stuff's pretty good, too, so I'll stick with that."

Wells, who had a pretty good curveball going, allowed one run and seven hits, struck out two and walked one. The Padres have won his last four starts after losing nine of his first 14.

Barrett said he caught Wells in a side session during the weekend and the lefty bounced knuckleballs off his mask and shoulder.

"I don't know if he learned it from Tim Wakefield or if he's just been playing around with it, but it's a real good pitch for him," Barrett said. "The thought of even playing around with a knuckleball just shows how talented he is."

8. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Not so sure what the use of this thread is. My only guess is for the out of town padre fans.

9. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  10. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  11. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  12. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  13. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  14. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  15. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  16. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,833 / 0 / -0
    Gonzalez receives a death threat

By Joe Hughes

UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

July 24, 2007
    San Diego police are working with Mexican authorities to investigate a death threat made against Padres first baseman Adrian Gonzalez. Gonzalez told police Friday night he had received a message saying “we are going to kill you” on his cell phone earlier in the day.
    The account was contained in a police report filed late Friday.

Gonzalez said he was grocery shopping with his wife at Ralphs when he decided to play his messages and heard the threat, the report stated.
    The male caller also said “your father is worthless.” The message was delivered in Spanish and English.

Gonzalez told police the threat could be tied to business dealings of his parents. They have received kidnapping and death threats in recent months, he said.

His father, David Gonzalez, was majority owner of the Tijuana Potros professional baseball team and recently had a falling out with other partners, dissolving the partnership and selling the club, the police report said.

Adrian Gonzalez declined comment before last night's game in Denver due to the ongoing investigation.

Padres Chief Executive Officer Sandy Alderson said the team was aware of the situation. “We have taken steps through Major League Baseball,” Alderson said. “We are taking this very seriously. Law enforcement is involved.”

Marycarmen Viera, coordinator of the Potros' marketing department, said team officials didn't know about any type of threat against the Gonzalez family.

Adrian Gonzalez told police he did not recognize the voice on the phone message, which was less than a minute long. The number has been traced to Whittier, to a name Gonzalez said he did not know.

He made his report to police at Petco Park after the game against Philadelphia.

Gonzalez grew up in Chula Vista and graduated from Eastlake High.

Staff writer Anna Cearley contributed to this report.

17. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,833 / 0 / -0
    Peavy snaps losing skid with win No. 10
    07/28/2007 12:49 AM ET By Ben DuBose / MLB.com

HOUSTON -- Jake Peavy stopped the bleeding in a big way, both for himself and the Padres.

For the first time in quite awhile, Peavy found his ace form, dominating the Astros for seven superb innings and notching his first win since June 19 in a 9-4 Padres victory Friday. The win snaps a 1-6 stretch for San Diego.

"Jake worked on a couple of mechanical adjustments [before the start]," manager Bud Black said. "He stayed a little taller over the rubber, and that created a better angle. I thought his arm had maybe just a touch higher slot. I think that gave him a bit more of a downhill plane. His sink had a bit more sink to it and his breaking ball had more depth. I thought that minor little change made a big difference tonight."

Peavy (10-5) allowed a first-inning run on an opposite-field RBI single from Carlos Lee, but he shut the Astros down after that in front of 39,996 at Minute Maid Park. He struck out left-handers Mike Lamb and Luke Scott consecutively to end the inning, stranding Lance Berkman at third after he advanced there with only one down.

"Usually those good guys, if you don't break through them early, you're not going to get them," Houston manager Phil Garner said. "They get in a groove, and that's what [Peavy] did. He just got stronger as the game went on. We had one good chance early and we didn't capitalize on it."

From there, Peavy did just that, cruising while pitching seven innings of four-hit ball, allowing just the one first-inning run with eight strikeouts.

"It was big to strike out Lamb [in the first]," Peavy said. "He's a good hitter, and it was big for us not to go down any more than one run early. I settled down after that. We had to have this win. Facing Roy [Oswalt] tomorrow and losing the first game of the series, we had to have this tonight to get a little momentum to beat a good pitcher tomorrow."

Amazingly enough, Peavy's greatness extended from the rubber to the batter's box. The right-hander went 2-for-3 on the night and drove in a run in a crucial spot. With the Padres trailing 1-0 with two outs in the second, he grounded a single up the middle against Houston starter Woody Williams to tie the game, scoring Josh Bard. Brian Giles followed with a single to score Geoff Blum, and that put San Diego in front for good.

"That was a big turning point," Peavy said. "For me to have a decent at-bat and get lucky enough to poke a ball up the middle and then [Giles] to come through, that was huge. Once we got [runs], I settled down and found my groove and I knew we'd be tough to beat. It was a good night, 'cause the boys needed this win."

Milton Bradley crushed a solo home run in the third to deep right, increasing the lead to 3-1. In the sixth, Kevin Kouzmanoff and Blum added on with a bloop RBI single and sacrifice fly, respectively.

Williams (5-12) hasn't been the same pitcher after leaving San Diego in the offseason, and his bad fortune continued on Friday, allowing five runs on eight hits in his six innings. Eight of the nine Padres regulars had at least one base hit.

"We've said all along that we feel the strength of our lineup is the depth and the quality of at-bats we can produce," Black said. "Tonight we did a nice job. Now we've got to sustain it. One night doesn't make a week or a series."

San Diego broke it open in the eighth against Houston reliever Dave Borkowski. Blum singled up the middle to drive in Khalil Greene, while Brian Giles blooped in a two-out single to center to score a pair. Giles has now notched four consecutive multi-hit games.

"It's nice," Giles said of the offense's night. "It's one of those nights where everybody throughout the lineup contributed. Hopefully that turns things around for us offensively and gets us jump-started."

The Padres made things tougher than they needed to be in the ninth. Holding a 9-1 lead, lefty reliever Joe Thatcher surrendered a single to left to Carlos Lee before airmailing a throw to first on a tapper from Lamb, putting two on with none out. After walking Scott to load the bases, Thatcher again misfired to first on a routine grounder from Brad Ausmus, allowing two Astros to score on the play.

"I think a little bit can be chalked up to second day in the big leagues nervousness," Black said. "He had a good look in his eye after the game, so he's fine."

Heath Bell came on in relief and was immediately greeted with a hard-hit RBI single up the middle from Morgan Ensberg, bringing the Astros within 9-4. But Bell struck out Craig Biggio looking and induced a flyout to right from Mark Loretta to end the game.

18. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  19. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,833 / 0 / -0
    Peavy's punchouts, Ensberg's punch lift Padres to 11-0 win

By Bernie Wilson
    ASSOCIATED PRESS

3:19 p.m. August 2, 2007

<TABLE cellPadding=2 width=284 align=right><TBODY><TR><TD>[​IMG]
    Associated Press​
    In his first start as a Padre, Morgan Ensberg homers twice and knocks in four runs to back the shutout pitching of Jake Peavy in an 11-0 victory over the first-place Diamondbacks Thursday at Petco Park.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>SAN DIEGO – Jake Peavy and Morgan Ensberg helped the slumping Padres get back on their feet, just in time to face Barry Bonds. Peavy struck out 10 to pass 1,000 for his career and Ensberg hit two two-run homers in his first start with the Padres, helping San Diego to an 11-0 win over first-place Arizona on Thursday.
    “We're excited to have those guys and hope we've got enough,” Peavy said. “We're going to try to fight and claw our way back to the top and win this thing.”

With Wally Joyner in his first day as the Padres' hitting coach, San Diego's anemic offense provided a rare power display. Khalil Greene added a three-run homer and Adrian Gonzalez had a solo shot. Gonzalez, aboard for both of Ensberg's homers, scored three runs. Joyner replaced Merv Rettenmund, who was fired on Tuesday.
    Ensberg homered for the Padres a week after homering against them. He was acquired from Houston on Tuesday, one of three deals the Padres made before the non-waiver deadline. Another newcomer, Rob Mackowiak, also made his first San Diego start, filling in for injured right fielder Brian Giles. Batting leadoff, Mackowiak went 2-for-5, stole a base and scored two runs.
    After watching Roy Oswalt change speeds in beating the Padres on Saturday, Peavy decided he needed to do the same thing.

“In the last month, everything was hard, hard, hard, 85-plus,” he said. “There was not a whole lot of speed difference. When guys can sit on the hard stuff, they're going to get one. I didn't feel like I was getting roughed up in the stretch, but I wasn't myself.” With a curveball in the 70s, a changeup in the low 80s and his fastball in the low-to-mid 90s, “I had a good speed differential,” he said. “They can't sit on one thing.”
    With 1,004 strikeouts, the 26-year-old Peavy joined Andy Benes (1,036) as the only Padres pitchers to reach the 1,000-strikeout plateau. Peavy (11-5) reached double digits in strikeouts for the fifth time this season and the 20th time in his career. He had gone 13 straight starts without striking out at least 10 after doing so in four straight starts from April 25-May 11. That streak started at Arizona when he struck out 16 to tie his club record.
    Peavy, the All-Star starter, leads the NL with 154 punchouts.
    Peavy struck out the side in the first inning. He reached 1,000 when he got Jeff DaVanon to look at strike three leading off the fourth. Peavy struck out DaVanon three times and allowed only one baserunner to reach third.
    “He's got great stuff,” Arizona's Stephen Drew said. “He throws everything at you and uses it as a weapon. You can't sit on any one pitch. The best thing you can do is look for a pitch up.”
    Peavy returned to the form that earned him the start in the All-Star game, holding Arizona to three hits in seven innings. He walked one. Relievers Cla Meredith and newcomer Wilfredo Ledezma held Arizona hitless to finish San Diego's 15th shutout, tops in the majors.
    Peavy struck out the side in the first inning. He reached 1,000 when he got Jeff DaVanon to look at strike three leading off the fourth. Peavy struck out DaVanon three times.
    Only one Arizona baserunner reached third against Peavy.
    The third-place Padres, who are trying to capture their third straight NL West title, have won just eight of 20 games since the All-Star break. They avoided a three-game sweep and pulled to 1½ games of the Diamondbacks.
    The Padres open a three-game series against Bonds and the San Francisco Giants on Friday night. Bonds went into Thursday night's game at Los Angeles one home run shy of tying Hank Aaron's career record of 755.
    Bonds has hit 86 home runs against the Padres, his most against any team. He's hit only three in 73 at-bats at Petco Park, which opened in 2004.
    Ensberg, acquired from Houston before Tuesday's trade deadline for a player to be named or cash, started at third in place of rookie Kevin Kouzmanoff. With Gonzalez on board with a leadoff walk in the second, Ensberg hit a two-out homer to left on a 1-1 pitch from Yusmeiro Petit (2-3). He homered into the second deck in left on a full-count pitch from reliever Dustin Nippert with two outs in the seventh, his 10th. Josh Bard was aboard on a walk.
    Ensberg said he looked back at his good times and bad times in Houston. “I decided I was most successful when I was aggressive and when I swung as hard as I could. I came here with the idea that if I see the ball, I'm going to absolutely let it fly. If not, I'm going to go down in a huge ball of flames.”
    Two batters earlier, Greene hit a three-run shot into the balcony on the third level of the Western Metal Supply Co. brick warehouse in the left-field corner, his 17th.
    The slumping Ensberg had been designated for assignment by the Astros on Sunday. He homered off new teammate David Wells last Thursday in the Astros' 7-1 win over the Padres.
    Gonzalez homered with one out in the fourth off Petit, his 17th.
    Petit allowed five runs and five hits in 4 1-3 innings, struck out four and walked four.
    Notes: Arizona's top prospect, Justin Upton, was called up earlier in the day and made his big league debut when he came in to play right field in the eighth. He fouled out leading off the ninth. ... Ensberg has five career multihomer games. ... Goose Gossage, a reliever with the Padres' 1984 World Series team, threw out the ceremonial first pitch.

20. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,833 / 0 / -0
    <TABLE cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=right>Saturday, August 4, 2007<NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
    Last modified Saturday, August 4, 2007 12:08 AM PDT

</TD></TR><TR><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD class=story><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=600 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=photo><SCRIPT src="/shared-content/newsys/common/photo.js"></SCRIPT>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD class=photo width=600>Barry Bonds grounds out in the 8th against Padres Pitcher Keven Cameron.
    <SMALL>JAMIE SCOTT LYTLE Staff Photographer</SMALL>
    Order a copy of this photo <!--
    More of this story -->
    Visit our Photo Gallery
    <HR width=250></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Padres Hairston upstages Bonds in circus setting
    [​IMG]
    By: JOHN MAFFEI - Staff Writer SAN DIEGO ---- The circus came to town Friday night with ringmaster Barry Bonds leading a parade of Giants and a media horde of hundreds.

And every time Bonds stepped in the center ring, flash bulbs popped and jeers echoed among the 43,523 gathered under the open-air big top of Petco Park.
    Bonds, who has 754 career home runs, finished his night hitless in four at-bats, striking out, grounding out and flying out against veteran Greg Maddux and grounding out against rookie Kevin Cameron during the Padres' 4-3 victory in 10 innings.

But even as Bonds continued to chase Henry Aaron and baseball's all-time home-run mark of 755, the spotlight also shone brightly on Padres newcomers Scott Hairston and Rob Mackowiak.

Hairston, who was 0-for-7 as a Padre after coming over in a trade last week with Arizona, slugged two home runs ---- a three-run blast off the facade of the first deck of the Western Metal Supply Co. building to tie the game in the eighth inning, and a one-out walkoff shot against Jack Taschner in the 10th inning to give the Padres the victory.

It was Hairston's first career two-homer game as well as his first career walkoff homer.

With the victory, the Padres remained 1 1/2 games behind the Arizona Diamondbacks in the National League West while pulling ahead of the Dodgers into second place.

"I was looking for something on the outside part of the plate and told myself to be patient," Hairston said of the game-winner that barely made it over the left-field fence. "I didn't think it was going out.

"I was talking to the baseball, saying 'Please go out.'

"I saw the left fielder creeping back, then I saw him jump up. I didn't know if he got it or it bounced back on the field.

"I looked at the umpire, and he was signaling home run. And everything was golden after that."

Mackowiak, who came over from the White Sox in a deal earlier this week, also played a big role in Friday's win. He doubled and scored ahead of Hairston in the eighth and gunned down Mark Sweeney at the plate in the ninth on a great relay throw to second baseman Geoff Blum, who fired a strike to catcher Michael Barrett.

Hairston was in the game for left fielder Milton Bradley, who suffered a strained right hamstring and had to leave in the fifth inning.

Bradley is expected to miss a couple of days.

"Every game is important, so when a guy like Hairston steps in and helps the club, it's huge," Padres manager Bud Black said.

"He got a great reception on the field and another in the clubhouse."

Pitcher Matt Cain and center fielder Dave Roberts were the featured performers for the Giants.

Cain entered the game on a three-game losing streak and had a 6.65 ERA over his last four starts. But he handcuffed the Padres on three hits over seven innings, striking out 11, including three in a row and four of five in the sixth and seventh innings. He got Morgan Ensberg on strikes three times as well as Mike Cameron and Adrian Gonzalez twice.

But Blum ---- who is hitting .400 since the All-Star break (18-for-45) ---- singled with one out in the eighth and the Padres trailing 3-0. Mackowiak followed with a double to drive Cain from the game and set the stage for Hairston.

Roberts, the former Rancho Buena Vista High star baseball and football player who played for the Padres the past two season, was 4-for-5 with a pair of doubles, two RBIs and a run scored.

The Giants took the lead in the third when Roberts doubled, went to third on Randy Winn's infield single and scored on Ray Durham's groundout.

The Giants pushed the lead to 3-0 in the seventh when Bengie Molina led off with a single to left, Omar Vizquel doubled and Roberts shot a double past first baseman Adrian Gonzalez to score both runners.

The Padres got even in the eighth on Hairston's blast and threatened in the bottom of the ninth when Blum and pinch-hitter Josh Bard slapped two-out singles. But left-hander Steve Kline came in from the bullpen and got Mackowiak on strikes to end the threat.

"With all the hoopla for Bonds, I commented on the bench that you don't see the energy and dynamic changed every time one guy comes to the plate," Black said.

"I thought Greg was awesome. There wasn't one at-bat where I didn't think he was trying to get him out."

Said Maddux: "You don't want to be that guy to give up a record-breaking homer. I know I didn't want to be that guy."
    True to tradition, whilst Hairston was being interviewed on Channel 4, someone small(we're guessing Marcus or Clay), snuck through the dugout and nailed Scott in the face with a shaving cream pie. He was a trooper, though, wiping himself off and continuing the interview...

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

21. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Holy Crap, I knew he'd been hitting of late, but .400!! :icon_eek: :tup:

22. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,833 / 0 / -0
    Fans get firsthand look at history
    08/05/2007 3:58 AM ET By Elizabeth M. Botello / Special to MLB.com

SAN DIEGO -- The fans in left field witnessed history firsthand as Barry Bonds hit home run No. 755 right at them on Saturday night.

It all started when Bonds came to the plate for his first at-bat in the top of the second inning against Padres starter Clay Hensley.
    Tom Stafford, who was sitting in the front row in the left-field lower boxes, decided to walk down to the edge of the facade wall with his digital camera in hand. He wanted to take a picture of Bonds at the plate. But Stafford couldn't click fast enough.
    Bonds' long-awaited home run was soaring over Stafford's head. But it didn't exactly go into anyone's hand or glove. The famed ball, which traveled an estimated 382 feet, hit the facade on the second deck of the pavilion before it fell to the ground among scurrying hands.

"The ball actually hit off the red sign right above the outfield marker two rows back," said fan Jerry French. "It dropped down, it hit the hands of a few people, dropped to the ground and a guy in the first row of the left-field seats crawled underneath the seats and got the ball.

"I knew it was a home run as soon as he hit it."
    Adam Hughes is the lucky owner of No. 755. He sat in section 130, row 1, seat 18 and grabbed the ball that landed just a few feet away from him. Hughes, 33, came to the game with his cousin, Justin Marquardt. He will keep the ball for the time being, he told reporters later. Hughes bought his ticket for Saturday's game just the day before, and in less then 24 hours he became a small part of history.

"[Hughes] was very nervous, his arms were shaking but he was holding the ball up when he actually walked by. He had the ball up and they came and got him," French said.
    There was no ill will among the fans in left field when Bonds' famed home run ball landed in their section. They were actually cool and calm.

"It was a very positive reaction, people were very cool," French said, who sat 10 feet away from where the ball landed. "It came down and people were jostling for it but no animosity or whatever."

Longtime Padre fan Harry "The Heckler" Maker said, "It was civil here. Yeah, we don't try and kill each other. There was struggling over there, but it's pretty nonviolent down here."

Added Stafford, "It was calm, quiet, collected. It was fine. Nobody clapped. It was just a million-dollar ball."

The crowd in left field was predominately made up of Padres fans with a few Giants supporters scattered throughout. Even though the atmosphere wasn't filled with elation and applause, that does not mean there weren't anti-Barry fans around. Some were ready to show their animosity through their actions, like Maker.
    Maker, who spoke under his handlebar mustache, said he didn't think Bonds would homer this weekend. But if he did, Maker was prepared.

Maker had a brown, scuffed-up ball that he would throw back in case he caught ball No. 755 with his glove.

A number of fans in the front row of section 130 held out white pieces of paper with huge black asterisks on them.

But others, such as French, thought it was a great moment in baseball history, a moment that ended sooner than the game itself. The Padres beat the Giants, 3-2, in the bottom of the 12th inning.

"I just came to watch the game and to see Barry Bonds," French said. "I'm a baseball fan. I'm tired of the animosity toward him."
    Even though Stafford didn't get a picture of Bonds at the plate, he did snap one of Hughes holding the ball in his hand. The picture is a close-up of the ball in Hughes' hand.
    "All of a sudden [I'm taking] a picture of the guy walking out with the ball," Stafford said. "I have several pictures. ... Oh, it was great. I can care less about Barry Bonds, to be honest with you, but it's a moment in history."

23. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,833 / 0 / -0
    Padres finish off sweep of Giants:tup:
    08/05/2007 7:07 PM ET By Sandy Burgin / Special to MLB.com

SAN DIEGO -- The Giles brothers came through with back-to-back RBIs in the sixth inning as the Padres broke a tie and beat the Giants, 5-4, Sunday, completing a three-game series sweep before a third straight sellout crowd of 42,438 at PETCO Park.

Marcus Giles, who drove in the first Padres run with a single in the second, hit a deep sacrifice fly, scoring Michael Barrett from third base in the sixth. Pinch-hitter Brian Giles, still hobbled by a right ankle sprain, hit a sharp grounder to second base with Rob Mackowiak, running from third, sliding across home safely.

Both Barrett and Mackowiak had begun the sixth with singles off Giants reliever Vinnie Chulk, who took the loss, falling to 4-3.
    Doug Brocail, who came on to relieve injured Padres starter Justin Germano in the sixth, got the win, improving to 4-1.

Trevor Hoffman came on in the ninth and picked up his 29th save of the season and 510th of his career despite allowing a two-run homer.

Germano left the game in the sixth after grabbing a hot shot off the bat of Pedro Feliz. He left the mound with two outs holding his right thumb. His right nail lifted up, but he will not be listed as day-to-day and should be ready for his next start.
    Giants starter Noah Lowry left after just three innings with left forearm tightness.

Each team matched single runs in the second and fifth innings.

24. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Good thing Cammy came thru in the 8th!! :yes: :tup:

25. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,833 / 0 / -0
    bumping this thread to get above BFUK's thread padding.:yes:

26. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,833 / 0 / -0
    Padres fall after Cards' big frame
    08/06/2007 11:36 PM ET By Corey Brock / MLB.com

ST. LOUIS -- Geoff Blum probably couldn't pinpoint the precise moment when despair gave way to hopelessness on Monday, though he's quite certain of what the particular uneasy sentiment feels like.

It was at some point in the Cardinals' 10-run fifth inning that fueled a 10-5 victory over the Padres before a sold-out crowd at Busch Stadium, when Blum, playing second base, started wondering if the inning was ever going to end.

"Things just start to snowball, it's hard to explain," Blum said. "It's the beauty and the tragedy of the game. There was nothing we could do. We couldn't get near a ball. We couldn't make a play on a ball, because they were just out of reach. It was ugly."
    During that fateful inning, the Cardinals tied a Major League record with 10 consecutive hits, seven coming off San Diego starting pitcher David Wells, who has allowed 26 runs over his last four starts.

The funny thing -- though certainly not to the Padres, who saw their four-game winning streak vanish in the warm Missouri air -- was that Wells (5-8) wasn't especially hit hard during that particular inning when the first 11 batters reached base safely.
    Wells allowed a single to pitcher Braden Looper to start the inning and then Aaron Miles reached on a squibber that Blum couldn't handle, though Miles would have likely made it to first base anyway.

David Eckstein lined a ball just past first baseman Adrian Gonzalez's glove for a run and So Taguchi and Albert Pujols also singled softly to bring in runs. Juan Encarnacion got a good piece of a fastball, driving it to right field for an RBI for a 4-0 lead. Then Wells left a curveball up in strike zone that Scott Rolen hammered for a three-run home run.

The Cardinals kept scoring after Wells left, as Mike Thompson -- recalled Sunday from Triple-A Portland to aid a short-handed bullpen -- allowed three runs over four innings, including a home run to the first batter (Ryan Ludwick) he faced.

The 10-run inning was the most runs the Padres have allowed in a game since May 5, 2005, against the Cardinals.
    As for Wells, who wasn't available for comment following the game, this start was his fourth consecutive poor outing, though it can be argued that he was more unlucky than bad in a game that was televised by ESPN.

"I thought David's stuff was fine," Padres manager Bud Black said. "I think the only balls hit hard that inning [were] the single by Encarnacion and then Scott Rolen's home run. Prior to that, every hit was a seeing-eye base hit. Even the hits prior to the fifth inning, I guess you could say, were seeing-eye base hits as well."

But they were hits and runs, nonetheless, and another poor outing for the 44-year-old left-hander who has posted a 14.04 ERA in his past four starts, raising his overall ERA from 4.15 to 5.54.

The four starts have essentially followed the same pattern as Wells has generally pitched well in the early innings only to get hurt later. Of the 16 runs that he has allowed in that fitful stretch, 13 have come in the fourth inning or later in games.
    Just once in his past six starts has Wells given the Padres six innings, meaning the team's bullpen has typically been on the hook for long innings when he's on the mound.

Could a change be in the rotation be in order? Black would only say Wells is scheduled to make his next start on Saturday in Cincinnati.

San Diego catcher Josh Bard was of the opinion that Wells pitched much better than his final line showed -- seven runs on 11 hits in four-plus innings.

"There were some balls that found holes," Bard said. "And it's frustrating when things start steamrolling, but we as a team have to do a better job of trying to eliminate those innings.

"It was just non-stop. It's disappointing. You look at the scoreboard and see a lot of zeros with a huge '10' in the middle of it. ... Even if we could have kept it to four or five [runs] we have a chance to win the game."

The meltdown by Wells on Monday proved disconcerting on several fronts, especially if you consider the Padres -- who took a 3-0 lead into the bottom of that fateful fifth inning -- certainly appeared to have Looper reeling.

Gonzalez opened the second inning by drilling a Looper offering 433 feet to dead center field, as the ball landed high up on the grassy knoll that separates the left and right field bleachers.
    Then in the fifth inning, it was Blum's turn. Blum, who continues his torrid stretch at the plate since the All-Star break, lined a Looper fastball into the seats in right field for only his second home run of the season.

Finally, Khalil Greene hit his 18th home run in the seventh inning. But by then, St. Louis was breezing its way toward victory.

27. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Peavy & Co. bring the heat in St Louis

By R.B. Fallstrom
    ASSOCIATED PRESS

8:15 p.m. August 7, 2007

Associated Press
    Jake Peavy allows only three hits in six scoreless innings, and the Padres notch their major league-leading 16th shutout of the season in a 4-0 victory over the Cardinals in steamy St. Louis Tuesday night.

ST. LOUIS – Jake Peavy extended his scoreless streak to 19 innings, and the Padres got their major league-leading 16th shutout of the season in a 4-0 victory over the St. Louis Cardinals on Tuesday night.

Working in sweltering 96-degree heat, Peavy (12-5) allowed three hits in six innings, struck out five and walked two, improving to 6-0 with a NL-best 0.89 ERA in nine road starts. His 2.21 overall ERA in second in the majors behind San Diego's Chris Young (1.82).

Peavy's toughest out was Scott Rolen, who popped out with two on and two outs in the fourth in a 14-pitch at-bat and lined out in the fourth in a seven-pitch at-bat.

Cla Meredith, Heath Bell and Doug Brocail finished the five-hitter for the Padres, who lead the major leagues with a 3.50 ERA.

No other team had more than nine shutouts entering the night. Only one of the Padres' shutouts was a complete game, a five-hitter by Greg Maddux against Cincinnati on May 14.

Josh Bard hit a go-ahead single in the seventh off Anthony Reyes (1-12). Bard was 2-for-3 with a walk and is batting .388 with runners in scoring position for the Padres, who have won five of six.

A night after tying a major league record with 10 straight hits, St. Louis was blanked for the 10th time, tying Minnesota for the major league lead. Jim Edmonds was 3-for-4 for the Cardinals, giving him 1,000 hits since coming to St. Louis in 2000.

Cardinals manager Tony La Russa batted his starting pitcher eighth for the fourth straight game in an effort to boost his slumping team, which lost for the sixth time in seven games.

Reyes, who has won once since beating Detroit in last year's World Series opener, gave up one run and seven hits in seven innings. It was his longest outing in a shaky season that began with 10 consecutive losses, tying the franchise record set by Kid Carsey in 1898.

St. Louis has been blanked in three of Reyes' last five starts, totaling nine runs in those outings.

Consecutive one-out singles by Rob Mackowiak, Kevin Kouzmanoff and Bard put the Padres ahead.

Scott Hairston added a two-run triple off Jason Isringhausen in the ninth, and then scored on a wild pitch. Isringhausen entered with an 0.41 ERA in 19 home appearances, giving up one earned run in 22 innings.

Notes: Edmonds was 2-for-13 against Peavy before Tuesday, when he went 2-for-3 with a warning-track flyout. ... Padres C Michael Barrett missed his second game after a foul ball went off his mask on Sunday. ... Peavy leads the NL with 159 strikeouts.

28. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    :tup:

29. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    *sigh* Bump again :rolleyes:

30. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises