1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Padres get Ensberg, Mackowiak

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by rexy2006, Jul 31, 2007.

1. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=yspsctnhdln>Padres pick up 3B Ensberg from Astros, Mack from White Sox

</TD></TR><TR><TD height=7><SPACER height="1" width="1" type="block"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><STYLE type=text/css> td.yspwidearticlebody { font-size: 13.5px; }</STYLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=yspwidearticlebody>July 31, 2007

<SMALL>SAN DIEGO (TICKER) </SMALL>-- The San Diego Padres on Tuesday obtained some depth for the stretch drive, acquiring utility man Rob Mackowiak from the Chicago White Sox and third baseman Morgan Ensberg from the Houston Astros.

Mackowiak, 31, is batting .278 with 11 doubles, six home runs and 36 RBI in 85 games with the White Sox this season and can play all three outfield spots as well as second and third base. He was acquired for minor league pitcher Jon Link.
    Ensberg, who finished fourth in the MVP voting in 2005, was designated for assignment on Monday after batting .232 with eight home runs and 31 RBI in 85 games. He was acquired for a player to be named.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Over the weekend, the Astros picked up Ty Wigginton from the Tampa Bay Devil Rays for reliever Dan Wheeler, making Ensberg expendable.
    Although, word today was the Padres were still jonesing for Mike Lamb and Ryan Klesko. Trade deadline is past. They also wanted Mark Loretta and couldnt swing a deal with the 'Stros. A couple of utility guys. They had said they wanted a starting pitcher.

<!-- 1185910982-0000197406 1185910988 -->
  2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Who'd they give up?? :icon_shrug: :icon_huh:
  3. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    In two moves to strengthen their bench, the Padres acquired infielder/outfielder Rob Mackowiak from the White Sox for Minor League pitcher Jon Link and third baseman Morgan Ensberg from the Astros for a player to be named later.

Jon Link was the Single A Storm closer.
  4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,684 / 39 / -8
    Sounds like they are trying for it all. If yuo guys can, make it out to a storm game. Great park, great price and a real family environment.
  5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,422 / 19 / -4
    not world setting moves and iA don't understand the ensberg move BUT Mackowiak is a solid bench player
  6. o-line protagonist

o-line protagonist BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    And the fire sale of my beloved White Sox continue. The friars should get good use of RM, he's a great utility player who can help your club out down the stretch.
  7. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    If I told you Ensberg would be a solid bench player would you understand that one as well? :D

(They only gave up a PTBNL for him anyways)
  8. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    PTBNL for Ensberg
  9. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Thanx Darlin...seems like the Pads are still tryinta work out a deal for Loretta and Lamb of 'Stros, although I can't anything anywhere...some folks that I trust at UT are sayin it's so, even tho the deadline has passed.
  10. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  11. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Pads're gonna hafta print new scorecards!! :icon_eek:

So, I wonder who's gonna suit up tonite...also MGiles hasta be wonderin if his days as a Pad are numbered :icon_eek: :icon_shrug: :icon_huh:
  12. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Hopefully these movers help us. Not sure how much they will though.
  13. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Speaking of Giles.

I've expressed my feelings on Brian. :icon_rofl:

My son's are on vacation in SD with their Grandparents. My 11 yr. old calls last night to tell me that they bought him a Giles jersey! :censored:
  14. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    Jose Cruz, Jr., out of options, was released today. This was the first roster spot to be cleared for the new guys.
  15. richpjr

richpjr BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Some of the comments coming out by the veterans make it seem like they aren't real thrilled with what is going on. I hope we don't see a chemistry melt down in the clubhouse. This team can't afford to stay in the funk they have been in since the all star game for very long or they'll fall out of the race.
  16. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    Why does this bother them so much?

First the Vinny Castilla/EY thing, then they complained about Rob Bowen, and now this?

Gah, this team is a bit too touchy feely for me.

I understand having a bit of dislike if your buddy gets traded, but you have to be professional and understand that this is a business and underperforming players aren't going to stick around for very long and other players are going to get traded.

And, to be quite frank, the veterans should be doing their best to welcome the new additions to the team rather than publicly whining about their arrival and risking alienating them before they even put on a jersey.
  17. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +272 / 0 / -0
    That sums up a lot of how I feel about the Pads in a very short sentence. Seriously... if the inmates want to run the asylum the inmates gotta do better than squeak out division championships in seasons requiring fewer than 90 wins to do so.

I get a kick out of guys on 1090 wondering why Padre fans spend so much time vilifying a team that's half-a-game out of first. The answer is simple: fans know that the team is only near first-place because there is no dominant team in the division, and we want the Padres to be that dominant team. Yeah, we won two-straight division titles...but they sure were uninspiring when you consider one of those titles came in a season so mediocre that it's almost shocking it was good enough to get into the post-season, and the second led to a post-season performance not much better than the first. A narrow division-championship and early exit from the playoffs? Been there, done that. It's not exciting any more.

I think all San Diego sports franchises, including the Chargers and Aztecs, are going to quickly learn that "getting there" is no longer enough. A lot of us are tired of getting there and then getting embarrassed.
  18. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,422 / 19 / -4
    to be honest I'm not about to go nuts on the FO
    They did something that needed to be done - they improved the bench

They got rid of players who didn't perform like Russell Branyan and Rob Bowen and added guys who have hit like Mackowiak, Hillenbrand, Hairston and maybe Ensberg. The FO and all of us knew the bench HAD to be improved so they did that by adding alot of solid players. Obviously no Jermaine Dyes or Adam Dunns but they couldn't be had at a reasonable price. FO did its job in that department and also added depth for players like Linebrink (who was obviously struggling) and Ring (who showed some skill).

Now frankly if the players are going to have a hissy-fit for a month and a half about 'team chemistry' then I'm putting this on every player in that clubhouse.
  19. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    The other 2 players sent down to AAA to make room for Ensberg and Mackowhack were:

1)newly-acquired Joe Thatcher, RP
    2)Tim Stauffer, SP
  20. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    I'm surprised at Thatcher being sent down, Stauffer is a so-what.
  21. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    So far so good, Ensberg went yard twice today, and Mackowiak did well at lead off got a steal too, I am glad to see the pads making some moves and being active not reactive, we needed a little kick in the *** and these roster moves may have been it, the pads played great today and are looking back in form, hope we can get the sweep against the SanFrancisco Gina's
  22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1