1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

"Padres only do well in the regular season because they play in a ****** division"

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by HollywoodLeo, Oct 5, 2007.

1. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    I've seen this mantra pointed out on many occasions as recently as a week ago or so.

This time next week will most likely be seeing two NL West teams play for the World Series.

It's a crying shame the Padres aren't one of them, but I'd like to post this thread as another public service announcement that 2005 was two years ago.
  2. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    Concur...I was thinking the same think two nites ago when both NF West teams went 2-0 in the PO's.

I will say the Hoffy needs to retire after his first save in 08...Let him have one more and walk off in style.

TBF
  3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    Moneyball inst on fire in SD.
  4. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    Money ball wins you games in the long run...Money ball don't get you **** in a one game, all bets off game....Nor does it win you a five game series when your going against thier 1 and 2 starters twice...

The money ball approach is great against 4-5 starters who don't hit thier spots. Problem is...Those guys don't throw in the playoffs unless it's scrub time.

TBF
  5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,584 / 29 / -1
    That doesn't explain why the Padres have a strange knack to beat up on most (but not all) #1 and 2 starters, yet struggle against scrubs.
  6. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    A couple of years ago, you could say the NL West, top to bottom was the worst division in Baseball. The Padres won it, and was just a game or so over .500.

Now, it is one of the best. Both the D’backs and the Rockies are dominating in their Division Games.
  7. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6

Money ball means your Team beats the Pitcher that you just released.

When the Padres went up to LA, and David Wells, whom the Padres had just released, turned right around and beat the Padres.

You can try spinning it any way you want.

Had the Padres won that Game. They would have been the NL wildcard. And they would have been playing right now.
  8. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    "Padres only do well in the regular season because they play in a ****** division

Had the Pads won ANY game they lost down the stretch, they woulda yadayada.

jes sayin
  9. richpjr

richpjr BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    "Padres only do well in the regular season because they play in a ****** division

What should be scary to us Padre fans is that both Arizona and Colorado have very good young teams that are on the rise and will make it very tough on us over the next few years. Our minor league system is still a year or two away from starting to pay off and it's not like we will go out and spend a bunch on free agents. If the Dodgers ever get their act together, this will be one tough division for quite a while.
  10. gobigblue

gobigblue BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Arizona, Colorado and San Diego has what makes a team competitive....pitching. Too bad San Diego doesn't have what the other two teams have.....hitting. That's why their season is over.

I'm practically a born and raised San Diegan but am one of the few happy to have seen the Padres fail to make the playoffs. IMHO, this will pressure management to finally spend money to bring in some bats.

The NL west is by far the best division in baseball without over inflated salaries!!!!
  11. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6

Yer right Toby, any Game.

I am pointing at one game specifically. And that Game is one of the few that just torques my Jaw.

The Padres sign David Wells; carry him for the longest time. Then they just release him. Then Wells turns right around and wins for the Dodgers. And he beats the Padres in just his second start for the Dodgers. Wtf.
  12. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    There is going to be a Team from the West representing the NL in the Series. Both teams swept.
  13. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0

:icon_eek: :icon_rofl:
  14. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0

Yeah I know where you're coming from, and I unnerstan the sentiment, Bro.
    • Like Like x 1