1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Padres season already done.

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by tboltzcali, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +611 / 0 / -0
    Someone in the org needs to get a fuking clue.

Why did they pick up Edmonds? His D has declined and he is a LEFTY bat.
    Gonzales is our power hitter, LEFTY.
    Giles used to have some power and also a LEFTY bat.

Right to center is a canyon. This place was built to Barroid specs in right.

Can they find some fuking RIGHTY power??

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings:
    +1,621 / 29 / -2
    Kouzmanoff is righty power.

Don't know if he'll continue to pan out or not, though.

Khalil has some power, but he swings at everything.

The outfield is a mess.

3. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +611 / 0 / -0
    He scares no one.

4. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,621 / 29 / -2
    Who cares who he "scares"?

It's not a Halloween contest.

He can hit the ball.

5. richpjr

richpjr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    He's batting .277 and is on pace to hit 10 HRs and drive in 50 runs. Not exactly what one looks for in a power hitter who has been batting cleanup. Here's hoping to a whole lot more production than that the rest of the season.

6. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,621 / 29 / -2
    I fully expect him to improve his production throughout the season just like he did last year after an even slower start.

I wish I could say the same about the rest of the offense outside Adrian and maybe Khalil, but that's not the case.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,484 / 19 / -4
    He's also a very young player who's still learning, he's shown he can whack it pretty good.

We need a CF with speed and defense
    We need a catcher who can throw and blast the ball
    We need a RF with power

8. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Dump Kouz and the rest of the losers. Padres suck. Told you all from the beginning. Will be out of it by the all star break.

9. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Did the padre fans roll over and die like the players did? Got kinda quiet in here. Where are all the real padre fans at at the beginning of the season?

10. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,304 / 12 / -5
    Watching our team face a slow, agonizing death as they get swept by the WORST team in MLB. :icon_sad:

11. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +398 / 0 / -0
    Times are tough and who wants to go see a crappy team? Moores is lucky he is getting the attendance he IS getting.

Padres suck!

Heres to hoping Moores sells the team to somebody else in SD who wants to win.

12. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    Even the Padres have a shot in abysmal National League West

:icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:
    :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/news/2008/jun/28/even-padres-have-shot-abysmal-national-league-west/?padres

After two-plus weeks of playing some of the sufferin'est teams in the American League -- the Detroit Tigers, the Cleveland Indians, the Seattle Mariners -- the Padres get to spend the upcoming week playing the two clubs that played vied for the pennant in last year's National League Championship Series.

What a relief.

Some of you may remember the NL West, the division with the best day-to-day pitching in baseball, the newly respected, sun-splashed quintet that began 2008 in full expectation of another season with four clubs posting winning records. Anybody seen those guys lately?

At the exact halfway point of the season, the Padres were 17 games under .500 and nearly on pace to lose 100 games, yet they can't be completely ruled out of the division race. The Rockies are headed for the worst record in franchise history, but at the same time, Colorado's still alive for a second straight playoff berth and its first-ever NL West title.

Egad.

"We aren't in a bad position, but it's not the one we drew up before the season," said Rockies manager Clint Hurdle. "But we are there, hanging around."

Hanging around is about all anybody in the NL West is doing. Going into Saturday's play, the division was led by a team no better than even -- the Arizona Diamondbacks, who host the Padres next weekend -- and no other club was closer than five games to .500.

"If you look at it, the standings aren't that much better than they were when we left (for interleague play)," said Padres General Manager Kevin Towers. "It's like everybody's waiting for somebody to take off. And nobody's done it."

Ostensibly, the division caught a break when matched in 2008 against the underachieving AL Central. Instead, the latter entered the weekend 33-18 against the NL West, including consecutive sweeps of the Diamondbacks and Padres by the previously dormant Minnesota Twins.

Overall, the NL West took a 24-49 interleague record into Saturday night's schedule, owing some small thanks to the Rockies for actually winning one more game against AL opponents than they'd lost. If not for that recent run, the defending NL champions already would be done.

As it is, the Rockies are positioned to become only the seventh team in baseball history to finish one season with a losing record, play a World Series the next season and go back under .500 the next. That roller-coaster list already includes the Padres of '97, '98 and '99.

Likewise, after opening eyes with four winning clubs and two league finalists in 2007, the NL West is back to the sort of derision that was attached to San Diego's division title of 2005.

"I don't really know the reason we've all struggled," Towers said. "Injuries are a factor. Arizona lost (Eric) Byrnes. Colorado lost (Matt) Holliday and (Brad) Hawpe and (Troy) Tulowitzki. L.A. lost (Rafael) Furcal. We lost (Chris) Young and (Jake) Peavy and (Shawn) Estes and (Josh) Bard.

"San Francisco's stayed the healthiest and they're probably the one team that's exceeded expectations. The rest of us are better than the way we've played. How we do head-to-head is what's important now. We're going to find out if we've got another run in us, which we really need."

Almost as much as they needed to get away from the American League.

Maple bats a danger to all

You knew, sooner or later, somebody was going to get hurt, maybe worse. What you didn't know is who it would be. A fan? A player? A base coach?

Turns out it was an umpire.

On the exact day that Major League Baseball finally began to address the issue of maple bats and the danger they present to everyone inside the ballpark, it was one of the people wearing the most protection who left the field bloodied by a sheared-off piece of a maple bat. Struck in the forehead by the bat of Royals designated hitter Miguel Olivo, plate umpire Brian O'Nora was taken away to a Kansas City hospital with a laceration.

Baseball's safety and health advisory committee held a conference call to discuss maple bats. A preponderance of players prefer them to ash, but barely a game goes by when you don't see one of the more explosive maple bats sawed off in a batter's hand, the meat end spinning out into the field or into the stands.

"I use maple bats, and that was pretty scary," said Royals outfielder Jose Guillen, who applied a towel to O'Nora's bloodied face. "They can ban them if they want to. I love to use them, but I don't want to see anybody get hurt."

As it happens, one of the player reps to the committee is a Royals player, John Buck. Sandy Alderson, CEO of the Padres is on the committee.

There has to be more studies and testing and more testing, and even if they do decide to ban the maple bats, it has to go to collective bargaining. And we all know too well how that goes.

In the meantime, then, just keep ducking.

Unfair ball

Here's yet another case for somebody to take a look at the inequities of interleague play. Of the Phillies' 15 games against American League teams, only six are on the road.

quoted from the UT

PAdres problem = Alderson, Towers, Depdesta and Black.

These guys have have talked SO MUCH SMACK and sold the SD fans a bunch of fools gold.

Remember back last year. And how they said they were gonna get some offense - and some bats! But OH no, nothings out there and we are penny wise and can't spend any money on star players...

Then they try and sell us on washed up players (Edmonds) and lifelong AAA rookies who CANT HIT THE BALL!

Alderdson NEEDS to go and go now and take his stat guy Depodesta with him.

And GUESS whose ahead of the PADs? BOCHY and SF!!!!!!

couldn't have said it better myself

:tdown:

13. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    Jake Peavy sucks :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  14. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    He probably has quit on this team since he doesnt get any run support. Im surprised Maddux hasnt asked to be traded, but he still has time, unlike the rest of the padrs season.

• Like Like x 1
  15. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    the Pads and teams like them will ALWAYS be the the kid that gets sand kicked in their face. It's the economics of the MLB.

That's the way the owners want it. Moores isn't hurting one damn bit

:icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil:

16. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494 / 0 / -0
    Moores did sell some fools gold. I was a little kid when the Padres let Steve Finley go - it broke my heart and ended my naivety. I was an outfielder in little league and even though Gwynn is my favorite, Finley was what I wanted to grow up to be like. He was a hero who could always win the game with a walk off homer in the bottom of the ninth, or make a spectacular play in center field...it hurts me to this day that we let him go. It was a bald headed lie they told, "vote yes on Prop C and we can keep players like Finley and Caminiti." They just didn't follow through, and now I see they only field a team to sell tickets. I guess even that plan is faltering.

17. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0

LOL!!!

That was only 10 short years ago!!!

:lol:

18. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, but the difference between a 13 year old and a 22/23 year old is pretty big, don't you think?

19. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    yes, but you're still a kid!!! maybe not little.......

:lol: