1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Padres spring training, part deux.

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by HollywoodLeo, Feb 23, 2007.

1. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    Padre Broadcast Alert

LIVE on SD Channel 4 or listen to XX1090 as righty Chris Young makes his third spring appearance today at 12:05 p.m. PT against the Rockies in Peoria. Young is expected to be followed by Doug Brocail and Cla Meredith.

IMHO, ST scores don't count, but the games are still fun to watch.:tup:
  2. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings Received:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    Where are my boys Vladdy and Orlando :icon_shrug: By the way Piazza is an a-hole but I did catch a Piazza foul ball once :abq2:
  3. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    Vlad Guerrero? Still playing with the Angels.

Orlando who?
  4. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,578 / 29 / -1
    Orlando Cabrerra?

He's an Angel as well
  5. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    First cuts of Spring Training:

On the move: The Padres made their first four cuts of the spring on Saturday as pitchers Sean Thompson and Erick Burke and catchers Nick Hundley and Justin Hatcher were assigned to the team's Minor League camp. All but Thompson were non-roster invitees. Thompson was sharp in San Diego's charity game against Seattle on March 1, allowing one run in two innings. Burke allowed six earned runs over 1 2/3 innings. Hatcher had one hit in two at-bats in Cactus League play while Hundley was hitless in three at-bats.

(I've heard of all these guys except Hatcher.)
  6. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,578 / 29 / -1
    A Padre is tied for the lead league in HRs for spring training. Guess who?

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NaPYQysTHtA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NaPYQysTHtA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

(hope he carries it to the real games, though.
  7. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    Dont even have to look. I KNOW its SLEDGEHAMMER!

We call him Good Sledge/Bad Sledge. During ST he's been Good Sledge. As you say, I hope he carries it through past ST...
  8. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Padres won today.
  9. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    I'm noting this date.
    tboltzcali said something positive about the Padres.:tup:

Actually, ST has been somewhat of a surprise to me.
    Although it is Spring Training, the offensive prowess has been their strength. I thought it would be the pitching. As it continues, who knows...
    • Like Like x 1
  10. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,578 / 29 / -1
    I generally refrain from reading much into ST results, good or bad.

Dewon Brazelton looked like the best pitcher in baseball last ST, in the meantime Chris Young looked like the worst.

But, from what I hear, Sledge's HRs aren't just barely-over-the-wall shots.
  11. tboltzcali

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    I will say positive things all year if it happens. The key to this year is simple. Our clutch hitting is terrible. We had alot of hits but how many times did we leave runners in scoring position that cost us the game. We did it in the playoffs the last two years. We out hit the cardinals but we didnt get that clutch hit to put them away. Run support is the biggest key this year, following by pitching and defense.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Wait'll someone that's s'posedta hit doesn't...he'll go back to being a jerk.
  13. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    It's halfway through Spring Training! Here are the 2nd round of cuts:

Sent to minor league camp were pitchers Ryan Ketchner and Steve Watkins and infielders Luis Cruz, Craig Stansberry and Bryan Myrow.

Pitching news:

Peavy sharp:tup:

Jake Peavy worked five innings, reaching his inning target for the first time in three outings. “Just a good day,” Peavy said after allowing one run in the 9-5 loss to the Rangers.

That Peavy had six strikeouts against one walk in the 71-pitch outing belied how he felt. “My arm didn't really feel alive,” he said. Said Black: “His total stuff was very solid.”

Black said Mike Thompson, the team's No. 6 starter last year, is drawing consideration for a bullpen job. :tup:
    • Like Like x 1
  14. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Thanx for that report, Darlin, and have fun at ST!! :tup: :icon_toast:
  15. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +848 / 1 / -0
    Nice report Rexy, Good luck at ST:tup:
  16. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    Notes: No need for lefties in the 'pen
    03/22/2007 8:13 PM ET By Corey Brock / MLB.com

PEORIA, Ariz. -- Apparently, San Diego manager Bud Black isn't a firm believer that every team must carry a left-handed pitcher in the bullpen.
    It's starting to look like the Padres might go that route to start the season after left-handed reliever Royce Ring was optioned to Triple-A Portland on Thursday in somewhat of a surprising move.
    The only other left-handed reliever in camp is Justin Hampson, though he hasn't appeared in a Cactus League game since March 11 because of a strain in the back of his left elbow.
    "In Anaheim, we went periods of seasons without a left-hander in the 'pen," said Black, who spent the last seven seasons as the pitching coach for the Angels. "... There's some teams you'll see that won't carry a left-hander."
    The Padres might be one of them, which could open the door for right-hander Kevin Cameron, a Rule 5 pickup in December from Minnesota. He must remain with the team all season or be offered back to the Twins.
    "We like his arm, we like his stuff," Black said of Cameron, who has a 3.24 ERA in eight games with 12 strikeouts in 82/3 innings. "He's got a natural cut to his pitches. It's been a pleasant surprise."
    Black is adamant that you don't have to carry a left-handed reliever for the sake of having one on your roster. He's looking for the best seven relievers -- period.
    "I think if you have right-handers who are effective against left-handed hitting ... we are not just going to have a left-handed to have a left-hander," Black said. "That left-hander has to be very good against left-handed Major League hitters."
    Ring appeared to be the frontrunner for that job. He allowed two runs over his first seven Cactus League appearances before allowing two runs on four hits with a walk Tuesday's outing against the Angels as five of the six batters he faced reached base.
    "We think he's going to be a contributor at some point in San Diego," Black said of Ring. "In the long run, he's going to be fine. He threw well at times and he showed glimpses of what we expect out of him."
    If Black does go with 12 pitchers as he's said he's leaning toward, the seven relievers who break camp would likely be Heath Bell, Doug Brocail, Cameron, Trevor Hoffman, Scott Linebrink, Cla Meredith and Mike Thompson. Scott Strickland and Scott Cassidy are also in the mix. Of those pitchers, Linebrink has had the most success against lefties last season, as they hit just .204 against him. Black said he thought Bell and Meredith could also fare well against left-handed batters as well.

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    3/22/07 from padres.com:

Your Opening Day starter is ...: Black isn't ready to name his starting pitcher for the regular-season opener on April 3 in San Francisco just yet but said Thursday that he's close.

"It's on the horizon," Black said. "I'll talk to (pitching coach) Darren (Balsley), gather the pitchers and a starter will be named shortly."

Based on the calendar and when the starters are scheduled to pitch during the last 10 days of spring, it looks as though Jake Peavy will start the season opener against the Giants.
    That likely means that Greg Maddux will start the home opener at PETCO Park on April 6 against the Rockies.
  18. tboltzcali

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Wow BFISA, take it easy. My opinions are my opinions. Ima padre fan. But just not a fan of how they try to put together the team. Small money market teams just cant do much. I always have faith in this team. But I just dont see them beating elite teams in MLB. If we do, so be it, but Im just stating the facts. The Padres will never be favorites to win a World Series until we put up some solid players all around. We have great pitching. But sometimes it just isnt enough with our team. Our team will fly under the radar, into the playoffs. No one expects us to be there.
  19. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    You're the one that had the Pads swirlin the toilet bowl a month before ST even started.

And I haven't seen a retraction, nor a real softening of that stance.

So you take it easy.
  20. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,578 / 29 / -1
    I don't care if anyone expects them to be there as long as they get there, and they certainly have the capability of getting there.
  21. tboltzcali

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    As long as this team gets the clutch hitting they need, then I dont see why not. But that is a big concern.
  22. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    MORE cuts:
    Padres reassign Manny Alexander, Royce Huffman and Luke Carlin to Minor League Camp
    03/25/2007 3:24 PM ET MLB.com

Peoria, Ariz. -- The San Diego Padres today reassigned infielders Manny Alexander and Royce Huffman, and catcher Luke Carlin to Minor League camp. Executive vice president/general manager Kevin Towers made the announcement. The Padres now have 36 players in big-league camp, including 32 players from the 40-man roster and four non-roster invitees.
    Buh-bye Manny "Frickin" Alexander! Royce Huffman was a good late-inning replacement. He was used in this facility ALOT. We saw Luke Carlin used alot late in a game, too. They're getting down to the magic number.
  23. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    :tup: Padre Spring Training Game on TV Channel 4, here in San Diego:

The Padres play a night game today when they welcome the Royals to Peoria Sports Complex for a 7:05 PT contest. Clay Hensley is slated for his fifth Cactus League start.
  24. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Go Pads!! :tup:
  25. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=yspsctnhdln>Padres to release Strickland
    </TD></TR><TR><TD height=7><SPACER height="1" type="block" width="1"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><STYLE type=text/css> td.yspwidearticlebody { font-size: 13.5px; }</STYLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=yspwidearticlebody>March 27, 2007

PEORIA, Ariz. (AP) -- The San Diego Padres will release right-hander Scott Strickland on Wednesday, which will save the team more than $400,000.
    The Padres will owe Strickland $135,246 in termination pay rather than his $550,000 salary.
    Strickland was 0-1 with a 3.38 ERA in 10 appearances during spring training. He signed as a free agent on Oct. 27 after spending 2006 in the Pittsburgh organization. He is 12-21 with 20 saves and a 3.34 ERA in parts of six big league seasons with Montreal, the New York Mets and Houston.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

PADRES OPTION STAUFFER TO PORTLAND
    ASSOCIATED PRESS

5:44 p.m. March 28, 2007

<!-- BODYTEXT -->PEORIA, Ariz. – Right-hander Tim Stauffer, the Padres' first-round pick in the 2003 amateur draft, was optioned to Triple-A Portland on Wednesday.
    With the 25-man roster due to be set on Sunday, the Padres have 33 players in big league camp, including 29 players from the 40-man roster and four non-roster invitees.
    <!---------- BEGIN BIGBOXAD ----------><SCRIPT language=JavaScript src="/scripts/oas_x32.js"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://oas.signonsandiego.com/RealMedia/ads/adstream_jx.cgi/www.uniontrib.com/sports/padres/20070328-1744-bbn-padres-stauffer.html@x32" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>
    <!-- BEGIN WEBSIDESTORY CODE v6.5 --><!-- COPYRIGHT 1997-2001 WEBSIDESTORY, INC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. U.S.PATENT PENDING. Privacy notice at: http://websidestory.com/privacy --><SCRIPT language=javascript>var _pn="PUT+PAGE+NAME+HERE"; //page name(s)var _mlc="CONTENT+CATEGORY"; //multi-level content categoryvar _cp="null"; //campaignvar _acct="DM5107277EZZ78EN3"; //account number(s)var _pndef="index.html"; //default page namevar _ctdef="full"; //default content categoryvar _dlf="n"; //download filtervar _elf="n"; //exit link filtervar _epg="n"; //event page identifiervar _hcv=65; //code versionvar _mn="we88"; //machine namevar _gn="ehg-uniontrib.hitbox.com"; //gateway namefunction _wn(_nm){if((_nm.indexOf("NAME")>0&&_nm.indexOf("PUT")>=0)||(_nm.indexOf("CONTENT")>=0&&_nm.indexOf("CATEGORY")>0))return true;return false;}function _gd(_x,_w){_ed = (_x.lastIndexOf("/"));_be = (_w!="full")?(_x.lastIndexOf("/",(_ed-2))):(_x.indexOf("/"));_dn = (_be==_ed)?"/":(_x.substring(_be, _ed));return _dn;}function _gf(_x){_ed = (_x.length);_be = ((_x.lastIndexOf("/"))+1);_fn = (_x.substring(_be, _ed));return _fn;}function _vc(_ml){_mll=_ml.length-1;if(_ml.lastIndexOf("/")==_mll){_ml=_ml.substring(0,_mll)}if(_ml.indexOf("/")!=0){_ml="/"+_ml;}return _ml;}function _ps(_ip,_pml){if(!_ip){_pml=(_wn(_pml))?_gd(location.pathname,_ctdef):_vc(_pml);}else{if (_wn(_pml)){if (_pndef=="title"){_pt=document.title; if (_pt!=""){_pml=_pt};}else{_pml=_gf(location.pathname);if (_pml==""){_pml=_pndef};}};}return _pml;}function _pm(_ml,_fml,_ipn){if (_ml.indexOf(";")!=-1){_nml=_ml.substring(0,(_ml.indexOf(";")));_rm=_ml.substring((_ml.indexOf(";")+1),_ml.length);_fml+=_ps(_ipn,_nml)+";";_gp=_pm(_rm,_fml,_ipn);return _gp;}else {_fml+=_ps(_ipn,_ml);return _fml;}}var _sv=10;var _bn=navigator.appName;if(_bn.substring(0,9)=="Microsoft"){_bn="MSIE";};var _bv=(Math.round(parseFloat(navigator.appVersion)*100));if((_bn=="MSIE")&&(parseInt(_bv)==2))_bv=301;var _rf=escape(document.referrer);_mlc=_pm(_mlc,"",false);_pn=_pm(_pn,"",true);</SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=javascript1.1 id=_hbc>_sv=11;</SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=javascript1.1 src="http://a1604.g.akamai.net/f/1604/2007/1h/stats.hitbox.com/js/hbe.js" defer></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=javascript>if (_sv==10){if (document.cookie.indexOf("CP=")!=-1){_ce="y";}else{document.cookie="CP=null*; path=/; expires=Wed, 1 Jan 2020 00:00:00 GMT";_ce=(document.cookie.indexOf("CP=")!=-1)?"y":"n";};if((_rf=="undefined")||(_rf=="")){_rf="bookmark";};_x2="[​IMG]";_ar="&bn="+escape(_bn)+"&bv="+_bv+"&ce="+_ce+"&ss=na&sc=na&dt=&sv="+_sv+"&con="+escape(_ct);_ar+="&vcon="+escape(_mlc)+"&epg="+_epg+"&hp=u&cy=u&ja=na&ln=na&cp="+escape(_cp)+"&pl=&rf="+_rf;document.write(_x2+_ar+_x3);}document.write("<\!--");</SCRIPT><!--<noscript>[​IMG]</noscript><!--//--><!-- END WEBSIDESTORY CODE --><!---------- END BIGBOXAD ---------->Stauffer made only one start for the Padres last year, but it was a big one. Hastily summoned from Portland, made an emergency start on Aug. 21 for ailing Chan Ho Park and beat the Los Angeles Dodgers 4-2. Stauffer was optioned back to Portland two days later.
    Stauffer made 14 starts for the Padres in 2005.
  26. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +848 / 1 / -0
    what could you do with $400,000
  27. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0

LOTS. Boggles the mind.
  28. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Jes saw on the Mike and Mike crawl thingy that Mark Prior has been optionedta AAA Iowa by the Cubs :icon_eek: :icon_shrug: :icon_huh:
  29. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    In the MLB world though, $400,000 is noting
    • Like Like x 1
  30. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    you can pretty much say that about any team