1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Padres spring training, part deux.

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by HollywoodLeo, Feb 23, 2007.

1. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    But we say it every year about our team.
  2. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    This score from today is closer to what I expected from the Padres. Good pitching and solid hitting:

Peavy sharp as Padres split squad beats Mariners

ASSOCIATED PRESS

5:15 p.m. March 29, 2007

PEORIA, Ariz. – Jake Peavy needed only 44 pitches to get through his final tuneup of the spring. The Padres' opening day starter looked sharp as he threw three shutout innings in a 6-1 win Thursday against a Mariners split squad of mostly minor leaguers. Peavy (2-1) allowed two hits and struck out three and said he's ready for Tuesday's opener at San Francisco.
    San Diego closer Trevor Hoffman allowed a run in one inning.
    “I wanted to be fresh going into San Francisco,” Peavy said. “I threw 100 pitches my last time out. I've built up to 100 and I feel I could go more than 100 in San Francisco. I just wanted to get in a game environment.”
    Seattle's lineup didn't help Peavy in that facet.
    Of the Mariners' lineup, only designated hitter Jose Vidro will be on the opening day roster. Vidro drove in Seattle's run with an RBI double.
    The rest of the team was in San Francisco for an exhibition Thursday night.
    While its lineup was limited, Seattle did bring pitchers Sean White and Jake Woods. White, a Rule 5 draftee out of the Atlanta Braves who is fighting for a roster spot, started and allowed one run in three innings, dropping his ERA to 1.59. Woods allowed two unearned runs and four hits in two innings.
    Peavy, who won the NL ERA title in 2005, used all of his pitches to keep Seattle quiet. Peavy finished the spring with 27 strikeouts in 23 innings.
    “Jake got what he needed,” manager Bud Black said. “He's ready. I think he's going to have a nice year.”
    The Padres got nice relief work from Andrew Brown, Kevin Cameron and Justin Hampson, all of whom are competing for a bullpen spot.
    Brown, a hard-throwing right-hander, walked a pair in two shutout innings to lower his ERA to 10.97, while Cameron, a Rule 5 draftee from Minnesota, pitched one scoreless inning. Hampson, who returned after dealing with a sore elbow, didn't allow a run in two innings.
    The trio combined with Peavy and Hoffman to hold off Seattle after San Diego took a 4-0 lead. Second baseman Marcus Giles, who's expected to bat leadoff for the Padres, was 2-for-3 with an RBI while his brother, Brian, was 1-for-3 with an RBI triple.
    Oscar Robles, who's battling for San Diego's final reserve spot, had an RBI triple.

<!--Article End--><!--Bibliography Goes Here--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  3. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Wasn't Robles with the foogin dodgers last year??:icon_eek: :icon_shrug: :icon_huh:
  4. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Padres announce roster moves [/FONT]<HR width="100%" SIZE=1></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]MadFriars.com
    MadFriars.com
    [/FONT]</TD><TD align=right>[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Mar 30, 2007[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2>
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Peoria, AZ - The San Diego Padres today optioned left-handed pitcher Justin Hampson to Triple-A Portland, outrighted right-handed pitchers Andrew Brown and Justin Germano to Triple-A Portland and reassigned catcher Pete Laforest to minor league camp.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]The club also placed right-handed pitcher Scott Cassidy on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right knee (retroactive to March 23) and purchased the contract of infielder Oscar Robles and optioned him to Triple-A Portland.
    Robles hit .292 with 14 hits in 48 at bats for the Padres this spring and was in contention for a bench job.
    Justin Hampson allowed three runs, two earned, on five hits over seven innings, posting a 2.57 ERA.
    Andrew Brown went 1-3 with a 10.97 ERA over ten appearances. In 10.2 innings he allowed 19 hits, walked 11 and struck out nine.
    Justin Germano went 1-0 with a 6.93 ERA over nine appearances between San Diego and Philadelphia this spring. In 13 innings he allowed 11 runs, nine earned, on 19 hits and four walks.
    Pete Laforest hit .378, going 14-for-37 with four doubles, three homers and ten RBIs.

In addition, the Padres announced left-handed pitcher Shawn Estes and catcher Todd Greene will remain at extended Spring Training in Peoria to continue their rehabilitation programs.
    The Padres 40-man roster now stands at 36 and the club has 25 players in Big League camp.
    [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>