1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

PaDres SPring TraiNing!

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by rexy2006, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    <TABLE cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=right>Thursday, February 15, 2007<NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
    Last modified Thursday, February 15, 2007 11:19 PM PST
    </TD></TR><TR><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD class=story><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="
    " align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=photo></TD></TR><TR><TD class=photo></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    New boss, same routine for Padres
    [​IMG]
    By: DAN HAYES - Staff Writer, NC Times

PEORIA, Ariz. ---- Padres manager Bud Black hit the parking lot at Peoria Sports Complex on Thursday morning and immediately realized how different 2007 would be from years past.

But it didn't take long for him to find familiarity.
    The 16th manager in club history was laughing and smiling on the field as he made the rounds during a light, voluntary workout attended by pitchers and catchers, including Chris Young, Cla Meredith and Trevor Hoffman.

The team's remaining pitchers ---- including Jake Peavy, Greg Maddux and David Wells ---- and catchers are required to report this morning for physical examinations before the first official workout on Saturday morning. Black said he expected that everyone would report to camp on time.

"Everything is new," Black said. "And without being overly dramatic, it is exciting. Each step that I take is a new one. ... There were a number of guys I hadn't met personally that I had talked to on the phone. But to meet guys in person, get on the field, where I think everybody's most comfortable ... the best part is playing and when you're able to get on the field."

Starting pitcher Clay Hensley shared his new manager's enthusiasm. Part of that anticipation stems from the third-year player's belief that Black's personality would allow for a smooth transition following the departure of popular manager Bruce Bochy.

"I think (Black's) going to be huge for our organization," Hensley said. "He's a very approachable person. There's not a manager/player barrier by any means. You don't have to go to any kind of channels to get to him. You can go straight to him from what I've seen.

"He wants to get to know the players, he wants to be here and he wants to win."

And he can't wait for everyone to be in camp.

Black said he plans to address the team's pitchers and catchers before Saturday's workout and then hold a similar session before the first team-wide workout. Position players report on Wednesday.

As for what will immediately take place on the field, Black said the Padres will spend the first few days in bullpen sessions, bunting practice and honing their fielding skills off the mound.

Essentially, it's what the team has done the past few seasons, according to pitching coach Darren Balsley.

"Business as usual," said Balsley, a Mt. Carmel High:tup: alumnus. "Pretty much we're going to go about things the same way. Buddy's going to put in his little wrinkles here and there, but it's business as usual."

Added Black: "I don't feel different inside, but there is a newness to everything that I do, which is exciting."

Padres notes

Former Padres first baseman Wally Joyner arrived in Peoria after receiving an invite from manager Bud Black. Joyner and Black were never teammates, but have since become golfing buddies. "It was a wonderful phone call to get to be invited here," said Joyner, who will work as a hitting instructor. "Always enjoy coming and being around the guys and being in uniform." ... Black said he expected everybody to be healthy for Saturday's workout, with the exception of LHP Shawn Estes (elbow surgery) and RHP Mike Adams (knee). ... 1B Adrian Gonzalez, 3B Russell Branyan and OF-1B Paul McAnulty were in camp ahead of schedule.:tup:

Contact staff writer Dan Hayes at dhayes@nctimes.com.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD align="center" valign="top"></TD></TR></TABLE>
    • Like Like x 1
  2. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +848 / 1 / -0
    Have the pitchers and catchers report came out yet??
  3. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    Hi Chris!

What kind of report are you looking for?

This is the ONLY article I have found that lists most of the people who showed up today.

These are very light workouts.
  4. BoltsFanUK

Ratings Received:
    +848 / 1 / -0
    Ok cheers rexy:tup:

PM me when you hear anything else:yes:
  5. BoltsFanUK

Ratings Received:
    +848 / 1 / -0
    here's an article for ya Rexy:tup:

http://http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/teams/report/SD/9997686

6. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    THE CLAW has returned!!!

[​IMG]
  7. BoltsFanUK

Ratings Received:
    +848 / 1 / -0
    :abq1: :abq2: :abq1: :abq2: :tup:
  8. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    I think he's gonna have a huge season this year!!:yes: :tup:
  9. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    I think so, too! Sometimes batter can "figure out" a sidearmer, but I think he will still do quite well.

Not to mention, THESE guys:

[​IMG]
    Trevor, Clay, David and Greg

Damn, we have some hot pitchers. Damn good.:tup:
  10. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Batters hadda helluva time figgerin him out last year!!

word
  11. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Pitchers are going to have a great year if our offense can support them.
  12. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    NOT GOOD!!!:no: Injuries already???Noooooooooooo!

Notes: Freak injury interrupts camp

02/21/2007 9:00 PM ET By Lyle Spencer / MLB.com

PEORIA, Ariz. -- Todd Greene's bid for a San Diego Padres' roster spot as a backup catcher suffered a severe blow one day before Thursday's first official club workout.
    While making throws early Wednesday at Peoria Sports Complex, the 35-year-old Greene suffered what was diagnosed as a dislocated right shoulder.
    "It's one of those freakish things you hate to see in this game -- but they happen," manager Bud Black said. "It was a situation where the most benign of drills ends up in an injury like that.
    "He had already played catch and had moved to the half-field for footwork [drills]. The second baseman was up between the mound and second base. It was a low-intensity drill to start to get your arm in shape, and it just popped out of the socket."
    Team orthopedists were on hand for physicals and treated Greene quickly after he was assisted to the clubhouse area by teammates helping him deal with the visibly excruciating pain.
    "His pain tolerance is very high," Black said, "and he was in a lot of pain. I haven't really talked to any of the medical people yet, and I'm not sure what the prognosis is."
    General manager Kevin Towers indicated Greene's spot likely would be filled from within for the time being. Luke Carlin, a .266 hitter at Triple-A Portland last year, is the likely candidate. Veteran Pete Laforest, injured almost all of last season, is another possibility.
    "I think we'll have a better idea after an MRI [exam is performed on Greene on Thursday]," Towers said. "I would imagine he'll miss at least the rest of Spring Training."
    With Josh Bard and Rob Bowen returning, Greene's chances of making the 25-man roster hinged on beating out Bowen for the backup job or the club electing to carry three catchers.
    "He knew he'd have to compete for a job," Towers said. "It's been that way his whole career. He was ready for the challenge."

Kouz arrives: New third baseman Kevin Kouzmanoff was happy to see and feel the sunshine as he checked into camp on Wednesday. A resident of the Denver area, he's seen more than his share of snow over the winter months.
    I wasn't able to hit outside once," Kouzmanoff said, "but I got in my work indoors. I'm really looking forward to this. It's a great opportunity for me, and I'm ready to go."
    Known for his intense work ethic as well as for a bat that makes solid, consistent contact, the man who answers to "Kouz" is hoping to nail down the third-base job after coming to San Diego in an offseason deal along with pitcher Andrew Brown for second baseman Josh Barfield.
    "I've played with Josh in winter ball, and I know what a great player and person he is," Kouzmanoff said. "Those are big shoes to fill, but I think I can help this team win."
    Of Macedonian descent, Kouz has attracted several nicknames along the way, including the Crushin' Russian. "I don't know what it is, but everywhere I've gone I get these things hung on me," he said, grinning.
    All he wants to be known as in San Diego is the everyday third baseman, he added.

Maddux streak: If not for being held out of a final start by Atlanta for precautionary reasons in 2002, Greg Maddux would be working on an incredible run of 18 consecutive seasons with 200 or more innings pitched.
    "I started developing a blister," he said, "and they said, 'Let's get it right for the postseason.' So I didn't go out there." Maddux delivered 199 1/3 innings that season, adding six more and a win in the National League Division Series.

Well-worn Gold Glove: With the black Rawlings mitt that has delivered three Rawlings Gold Gloves for Mike Cameron -- including one last season -- showing wear and tear, the Padres center fielder is breaking in a couple of new candidates.
    "This one's been really good to me," Cameron said, handling his constant companion of the past decade. "But it's got a hole in it, and it's showing its age a little."
    Cameron related a conversation he once had with his Seattle teammate Edgar Martinez, one of the premier hitters of his generation. "Hey, Edgar, anybody can hit .320 with your swing," Cameron said. "Try doing it with my swing."
  13. BoltsFanUK

Ratings Received:
    +848 / 1 / -0
  14. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
  15. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    :icon_eek: :icon_rofl:
  16. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,132 / 4 / -0
    AHHHHHH.....spring training talk! Can spring itself be far behind?
  17. tboltzcali

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    One less person we have to worry about to compete for the position. Somehow Bard is the starter. Not sure how we are satisfied with that.
  18. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,568 / 27 / -1
    His .338 BA and .943 OPS as a Padre last year probably has something to do with it.
  19. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
  20. rexy2006

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
  21. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,568 / 27 / -1
    I believe they went to arbitration with Adam Eaton, but I could be wrong.
  22. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Excerpt from the article above-It was the Padres' first arbitration case since they lost to pitcher Joey Hamilton in February 1998.
  23. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,568 / 27 / -1
    See, I was right. :abq2:

(when I said "I could be wrong")
  24. tboltzcali

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    I guess he played decent. .338 in 93 games. You can say its an upgrade from Mike Piazza.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.