1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Pads --- Versatile Crabbe hopes to stick around

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by wrbanwal, Feb 24, 2008.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    Padres intrigued by 'super utilityman' obtained in Rule 5 Draft

PEORIA, Ariz. -- Should Callix Crabbe find his name on the Padres' Opening Day roster next month, chances are he'll drop Frank Kremblas a card for helping to make it possible.

It was Kremblas who helped expand Crabbe's professional horizons by using him at any numbers of positions while both were in Nashville, the Brewers' Triple-A affiliate in the Pacific Coast League.

"There's no doubt that he helped me," Crabbe said Friday. "In the Brewers system, I was stuck behind a couple of players. I had nowhere to go. But by Frank giving me a chance to play other positions, I felt like some other clubs got a chance to see that I was athletic."

One of those clubs was the Padres, who were impressed with his versatility -- he can play second base, shortstop, third base and center field -- and his speed, so much so that they selected him in December's Rule 5 draft.

The Padres must carry Crabbe on their roster the entire season or offer him back to the Brewers for $25,000, though with everything the 25-year-old has to offer, keeping him could be more of a luxury than a burden to the roster.

[​IMG]