1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Pagano remains DC

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Sydalish, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings Received:
    +1,530 / 10 / -0
    • Like Like x 3
  2. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 30 / -0
    Great news. What he did with limited talent on defense this year was very impressive. I look forward to seeing what he can do with a few more playmakers.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Burlington Bolt Brother

Burlington Bolt Brother BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +162 / 31 / -13
    last year was impressive too
  4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,011 / 33 / -20
    Kew. Now give him some real CBs and another pass rusher (maybe an upgrade at NT) and let's roll.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,524 / 42 / -6
    He should have been retained as the seed that was sowed the last two years ought to be maturing and springing forth a bountiful harvest. If not, the Bolts need a new farmer.
  6. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,574 / 42 / -25
    Mike Ditka: "I've seen seen worse concept of defense in my life, than what I saw from the San Diego Chargers"
  7. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,524 / 42 / -6
    Can you translate that?
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,574 / 42 / -25
  9. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,524 / 42 / -6
    Then, on Ditka`s Monday morning radio show, he reported that Redskins`

defensive end Dexter Manley has ``the IQ of a grapefruit.

You actually want me to listen to a piece of shyte like that?, don't tell me you're serious.
  10. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,574 / 42 / -25
    I've long since given up any expectations where you're concerned. ;)
  11. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +481 / 13 / -3
    I like the idea of continuity, and was all for Pagano after last year. But, let's look at numbers and let you guys discuss.

QB to score 20+ against Pagano's defense in 2013:
    Matt Schaub - 24
    Mike Vick - 30
    Jake Locker - 20
    Terrelle Pryor - 27
    RG III - 30
    Ryan Tannehill - 20
    Alex Smith - 41
    Chase Daniel - 24

Are any considered top 5 QBs in this league? Let alone 10.

WR1 receptions - yards against Pagano's defense in 2013:
    Andre Johnson - 12 - 146
    Desean Jackson - 9 - 193
    Nate Washington - 8 - 131
    Dez Bryant - 6 - 81
    Danarius Moore - 5 - 84
    Reggie Wayne - 5 - 88
    Pierre Garcon - 7 - 172
    Demaryius Thomas - 7 - 108

Thought the point was to eliminate the #1 option in the passing game? Or how about playing Liuget and Reyes in a 2 gap system when their 3 techs? Or how about playing the best SAFETY in the league at LB? How about the 3rd and 17 given up yesterday?

Lot of questions that need answers.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +731 / 53 / -41

And that evaluation was incorrect HEX ????

4 failed drug tests and banned from the NFL for life doesn't suggest he'd qualify for Mensa status, does it ?

Pretty sure it's common knowledge that Manley himself said he was functionally illiterate his entire career, even after being able to attend college and get an education (supposedly) for 4 years at Okie St.

If I was a grapefruit! I'd be pissed off being compared to Dexter.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,524 / 42 / -6
    Yes, unfortunately, some folks will never grow.
  14. boltssbbound

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 30 / -0

It's pretty hard to shut down a #1 receiver when your alleged #1 CB, Derek Cox, plays absolutely awful. There's not alot of scheming a DC can do to fix that. Also interesting how you ignored the other two games against Demaryius Thomas after Cox was benched, where the Chargers limited his effectiveness.

We spent most of the year with no legitimate outside pass rushers after the injuries to Freeney and Ingram. Our CBs were very mediocre, and our nose tackle play has been sub-standard. Pags has done a great job given what he has had to work with.
  15. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +731 / 53 / -41

Obviously Oklahoma St didn't "water" him enough in his time there ! ;)
  16. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +481 / 13 / -3
    Yes I did not list the 2nd meeting between us and the Broncos because we were on a 5 game winning streak and the defense was playing well enough to win games.

The point is to make someone else beat you. I see you ignored the point we ignored the opponents best WR for half a season (8 games). Yes if Derek Cox was absolutely awful why did we rush 4 and leave him on an island by himself if he was so terrible?

Listen, Pagano was very Norv-esque (yes I hate to say it, but its best comparison to use for Charger fans) when it came to injuries. He didn't adjust his scheme to his players. Sound familiar? How did the Saints go from the 32nd god awful ranked defense in 2012 to top 5 in 2013? Rob Ryan came in and adjusted his scheme to their players, and added a CB who fits his scheme.
  17. Dominion Bolt

Dominion Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    Dexter is not the smartest man on the planet, and he has made more than his share of mistakes, but living in the DC area, I know enough about the community work that he does to know he is a decent person.

On the other hand Ditka (who was one of the original offensive threats at tight end), gave the ball to that side-show carnival act of a DT in the Super Bowl instead of a HOF running back who played his heart out for sh*t teams in Chicago for years.

Dexter may be a grapefruit, but Ditka is a self-serving POS (IMO).
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +205 / 1 / -0
    True, I'm ok with him getting another year or two. I'd like to see what he can do with some talent.
  19. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,524 / 42 / -6
    I do believe that was my whole point.
  20. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings Received:
    +108 / 4 / -0
    I am not disappointed with this, but I am not wildly happy about it either. I am a bit on the fence with this. I think Pags deserves at least one more year and hopefully TT will find him some more starting and backup talent. I just hope he is able to fully utilize the new talent and integrate it into what he has now.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Burlington Bolt Brother

Burlington Bolt Brother BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +162 / 31 / -13
    ummm
  22. boltssbbound

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 30 / -0
    I didn't ignore anything. We had out biggest free agent addition, our supposed #1 CB, play like crap. We had Reggie Walker and Thomas Keiser as our primary OLB pass rushers for much of the year. And Donald Butler spent a big part of the year with a groin injury that severely limited his effectiveness. Cox was not always left on an island. But if you have sub-standard cover guys and no pass rush, the other team's best receiver is eventually going to find a way to get open. We faced some of the best WRs in the league in our two playoff games, and the defense did a pretty good job of holding them in check. You can change up the schemes anyway you want, but if you don't have the players, you are going to struggle. There are some talented players on this defense, but there were some glaring holes that made it difficult for them to succeed. A starting CB, a NT and another pass rusher will go a long way toward fixing this defense. Pags was not the problem this year.
  23. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 7 / -1
    I understand why he is being retained. Were he to be let go with Whiz then there would be a sour taste left in the locker room. Having said that I'm convinced he is up to the job. As many have said give him a proper NT, an improved pass rush and a decent corner or 2 and let's see what he can do.
  24. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +163 / 2 / -1
    Agree with this move. Focus on pass rush and secondary this offseason to address our pi55 poor passing yards per game allowed and lack of interceptions, and this defense will become a force to be reckoned with.
  25. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +481 / 13 / -3
    Then how are the Patriots in the AFC Championship game with guys like Joe Vellano/Silver Silinga and Chris Jones are their starting DTs for more than half the year? Or how about a rotation of Duron Harmon, Steve Gregory, and Tavon Wilson as their other SS's beside Devin McCourty? They get pass rush from one player, thats Chandler Jones, and sometimes against an elite LT he's shut down.

Coaching is everything, and Belicheck (I believe he has his hands on the defense just as much as their DC Patricia has, that's just his background) is very good at getting the most from his players. Pagano needs to get the most from his players as well, and needs to fill this team with players that fit his scheme or that are scheme diverse.

Just look at the QBs that scored 20+ on us. Its quite pathetic to see some of those names on their is all I'm saying.
  26. boltssbbound

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 30 / -0
    Any DC is going to look bad in a comparison with Belichick. If the choices were Pags or Belichick, you'd be crazy not to go with Belichick. But that wasn't the choice we had before us. I think Pags got the most he could out of this group of players.
  27. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,524 / 42 / -6
    The conditioning program they have adopted is going to work, they're only going into the second year and some dudes have already come back strong. I see less time lost by starters and lights out work by back-ups. The strides made this year have been different than anything before, Cept Bobby Ross. These guys seem to like to play together and there ain't no better bond than "Go For It".
  28. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +481 / 13 / -3
    Of course, but the point is coaching and adjusting. That's all I'm saying here. How do you put Bront Bird on Julius Thomas on a 3rd and 17? You can't do that in that situation.

Also the missed tackles that occurred all year, funny nobody remembers 4th and 29 that happened under John Pagano's defense.
  29. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,524 / 42 / -6
    With Te'o being KO'ed early on, Bulter concussed and all what have you, it was either Bird or Pags would have to take the field. Something just ain't right there.
  30. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,574 / 42 / -25
    The rookies should all take a step forward in conditioning after being in the training program for a year. Come preseason, we should see a stronger 2nd year group.